PDA

View Full Version : I am back to the Submarine Community.

ReubenJames
08-14-05, 02:09 AM
I have just bought Sub Command :sunny: Isn't it a surprise to some of you? :lol: It is a 2001 product, but I take it that SC is seriously hardcore. So I bought it, to learn some hardcore stuff.

I want to know if NWP has done any comprehensive modification/add-on to SC as they did to Jane's Fleet Command? I would appreciate some pointers or urls. Thanks in advance.

clive bradbury
08-14-05, 04:24 AM
Welocme. No surprise to me, SC still has a lot to offer. First thing is to get SCX/SCU installed, which gives you good realistic mods and the option to drive a wide range of subs. You can get it at Bill's site:

www.subguru.com

Kapitan
08-14-05, 09:25 AM
welcome which submarine do you command by any chance ?

ReubenJames
08-14-05, 01:49 PM
I will have to revise my skills. The last time I commanded was 2 years back. I was on the American side. Let's hook up at some stage so we can go head-on against each other for a good time! :rock:

Kapitan
08-14-05, 01:59 PM
i wish i could but i cant play online :(

ReubenJames
08-15-05, 12:46 AM
You are in command, may I enquire why?

Kapitan
08-15-05, 01:12 AM
my router wont allow me to play online all the firewalls and stuff stops it

ReubenJames
08-15-05, 04:15 AM
That's sad.

Kapitan
08-17-05, 07:50 AM
soon as i find out whats what then i be able to go online the router wont allow it at the moment for some god knows reason anyways what sub do you command akula seawolf or 688i?

Bellman
08-17-05, 11:53 AM
:) Same here router problem/s preventing online MP - I'm working on it :hmm:

If anyone has any tips/personal experience please share. :yep:

LuftWolf
08-17-05, 12:00 PM
You probably need to find out what port's are used by SC to connect other computers, and then find out your internal ip address.

Then you access your routers configuration, and go to the Port Forwarding Table, and tell your router to forward all communications along the port(s) used by SC to your internal IP address.

Then you find out the external IP address for the router, and use that one with your opponent.

And your set. You may need to refer to your routers documention or online resources to figure it out for your particular configuration, but with Linksys products, it's fairly straightforward.

Kapitan
08-17-05, 12:12 PM
im no expert so idont know what to do

ReubenJames
08-18-05, 01:33 AM
I don't know that either. I don't have firewall. My PC restore to its install state everytime I choose to so I dont need to worry about firewall or security thing.

I checked in Gamespy lobby, no body is playing Sub Command there anymore! :zzz:

Bellman
08-18-05, 07:26 AM
:) Thanks Luftwolf - I need to set aside a good wedge of time to get my head round the various problems. :roll:

I use both a software firewall and the routers own firewall. Some wall reduction will be necessary for DW MP but I am still
considering what loss of privacy is entailed and must balance this against the many benefits and joys of MP.
Open ports = guests/intruders in the home. :o

Once you have tasted the fruits of MP - SP seems tame. Nothing like the devious unppredictable human brain/nature. :yep:

Had a modem before when MPing SC. and the settting-up was relatively painless.

My computor is reaching 'maturity' and a new babe can share separate tasks and deliver game testing by LAN. :cool:

I have decided to defer MP until that time and climb the router mountain then. :arrgh!:

Kapitan
08-18-05, 07:27 AM
i just wish i could play online starting to wind me up

LuftWolf
08-18-05, 07:29 AM
The ports that games like SC/DW use are usually fairly high up the dial and not very useful for hacking.

Opening up a hole in your SW firewall is as simple as creating a rule for SC/DW and shouldn't compromise your security.

Forwarding the SC/DW ports to your computer only exposes your computer to risk when you have them open, which you can control each time you decide to do MP or close them when you are not playing.

All in all, other than the setup time, setting up a router/SW firewall for gaming doesn't have many downsides in terms of security. The only time it does it when the games you are playing themselves have security holes.

Kapitan
08-18-05, 07:33 AM
1) how do i get to these ports
2) how do i open close em
3) where is the port control thingy
4) help

LuftWolf
08-18-05, 07:39 AM
1) SC/DW should have a section somewhere about MP setup, where the ports should be listed.

2) You need to access your router's internal configuration. Find the "Port Forwarding Table." Then you enter the ports you need into the table, and tell them to forward them to your computer's internal IP address.

3) In your router's internal configuration.

4) Send me a PM with your email. I am not a MPlayer for DW so I haven't done this myself, but I might decide to play online now that I am committing myself here more and more. :hmm: :ping:

I may decide to set this up for myself in the next day or two just for the fun of it. Send me a PM, I'll get back to you soon. :up:

Bellman
08-18-05, 08:43 AM
:) LuftWolf & Kapitain please keep me in the loop here I am not far from strating this proceedure. :up:

Both of you (I think) have my email address. The lure of MP is drawing me back. :lol:

:rotfl: Its like the jungle tribes they go so long on a veg. diet then they just got to have meat. My nose is twitching the air right now. :hulk: :hulk:

LuftWolf
08-18-05, 08:45 AM
I PMed Kap and told him that I would work on setting it on my rig and then I would email him, and you too, about how to do it. Once I've figured it out on my system (should be more or less the same as what I had to do for Combat Mission), it should be fairly straightforward adopting the procedure for your systems. I'll let you both know in a day or so!

Kapitan
08-18-05, 08:46 AM
bellman send me your email kinda mislayed it lol

Kapitan
08-18-05, 08:48 AM
cheers luftwolf :up:

Bellman
08-18-05, 08:57 AM
Thanks Luftwolf.

Kapitain PMd em.

Just want to hang on the coat tails here with general principles - not detail. ;)

Kapitan
08-18-05, 08:59 AM
thanks bellman

LuftWolf
08-23-05, 02:38 PM
Kapitain and Bellman,

I am going to look into the MP stuff in the next day or so. I've been really busy. :up:

Kapitan
08-23-05, 05:52 PM
cheers LW no rush :up:

LuftWolf
08-23-05, 07:19 PM
I see you've been challenged to a fight under the ice on Saturday night, so there is rush. ;) :up: :arrgh!:

Kapitan
08-24-05, 01:22 AM
huh when ? i dont mind a challenge under the ice but not saturday night especialy when my GF is staying over catching my drift yet ? :D