PDA

View Full Version : help with jsgme and modding

witchking
08-09-05, 02:06 AM
Hi,

I installed many aesthetic mods to my sh3.

recently I instlled jsgme and liked the possibility of having clan sh3 and mod backups.

I installed the harbourtrafiic mod 1.43 and its fix when that came out. using jsgme

but since then I was busy and couldn't play sh3 much.

now I installed harbourtraffic 1.44 and 1.45 and it asked about overwriting something.

I started a new carrer now to see how the ports look....then the game crashes at mission loading wih error :::

sh3 has performed an error .....blablabla...

I tried removing mods iwth jsgme and still get this error.

I now reinstalled sh3 and its patch to 1.4. I am now planning on clean modding...

so can someone tell me if :::

-- sergbuto's excellent mods are compatible with jsgme since they don;t replace but ADD NEW FILES.

-- are ALL MODS COMPATIBLE WITH JSGME AS LONG AS THEY HAVE THE DIRECTORY STRUCTURE i.e., merchant skins\data in the mods folder??

thanx

witchking.

HW3
08-09-05, 02:20 AM
The short answer is yes and yes. I am running harbourtrafiic mod 1.45 with jsgme and many other mods with no problems.

witchking
08-09-05, 02:24 AM
thanx for the reply.

I guess I will go ahead and start installing the mods. :up:

Catfish
08-09-05, 02:52 AM
Hello,
the mods are probably not all compatible, but using Jones Mod enabler it will probably overwrite a change made before.
It works like follows:
First you installed the JSGME mod enabler.
Then you copied several mods you want to use below the "mod" directory which itself is in the SH3 directory, naming it in a way you know what it does. Running JSGME it shows you the directories below the mod directory, and you can apply/copy those into SH3 via the right arrow - it will then appear as installed at the right side.
If you now install a mod that for example changes some \data\*.* file, the old files being replaced are being renamed and copied to a backup directory. If the next mod overwrites the files that have been changed already, it will tell you so: if you say "yes" those already changed files will again be changed in a way they are also renamed and copied to the backup folder. Those newly changed files will have another name than the files of the first change, so you do not really overwrite the backup, BUT only the current file being used by SH3. (b.t.w. install mods (and patches) only when in port !).

JSGME works first in last out, meaning if you want to change a mod in the middle of your numerous installed mods, you have to remove all mods coming after it first, in order to keep your installation clean.

Greetings,
Catfish

witchking
08-09-05, 03:40 AM
wow! maybe thats what I messed up last time.

thanx catfish..that was a very useful and imp post. :up: