PDA

View Full Version : Patch Install Problem...HELP!!!

Gunfighter34
08-07-05, 08:23 PM
Ok, with the release of RUb 1.43 imminent and with the way I'd been hodgepodge, half-ass installing mods lately I decided to do a clean reinstall of SH3 and start over from scratch in a neat, orderly, and precise manner. I uninstalled SH3, including all my save games, etc.

Now I've reinstalled the game, and when I go to patch I get the following message:

This program cannot update the installed version of Silent Hunter III US Download v1.0 because of the following reason:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\de_help.tx t: unknown version.

I don't remember ever having this problem the first time I installed. How can it be an "unknown version?" It's the version their installer created! At first I tried to install just the 1.4b patch but then I downloaded all the patches and was going to install them incrementally, but still the same result.

FYI, I have the US Download version of the game which I purchased from D2D, and I had no problem patching up after the initial purchase and install. I have downloaded the patches for the US Download version.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Stavinsky
08-07-05, 08:27 PM
Perhaps a silly question, but have you verified that
all the files were gone after your uninstall procedure ?

perhaps that file

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\de_help.tx t

is not deleted by the uninstall program ?

Try to uninstall all, and verify if there is still an SilenthunterIII
directory (or even an Ubisoft directory) under your
C:\Program Files\

It should'nt be any silenthunterIII directory there anymore

Perhaps only that, i hope. Otherwise i can't help you more
<have the DVD version>

hope it helps
Stavinsky

vois2
08-07-05, 08:50 PM
I use the US Download version of SH3 also. The advice above is well noted. Doing an Uninstall of SH3 through the Windows UnInstall device does not remove much of the C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\... path files!! I have no doubt this is what caused your error.

You may wish to uninstall SH3, and then remove all remnants of that path entirely using Windows Explorer.

Be aware that if, after you have installed SH3 1.0, you copy the entire directory of :\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\... and tuck it away somewhere, then any future reinstalls will just involve using Windows copy function and won't use up any of your install/activations.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Gunfighter34
08-07-05, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys, that was precisely the problem. I actually checked the "My Documents" folder to make sure it had taken out that SH3 folder, but I didn't think (doh!) to check the Program Files/Ubisoft folder. I can't believe the uninstall program doesn't purge all that, but I guess that's a lesson learned. Thanks!