PDA

View Full Version : Deck and Flak gun ammo management

P_Funk
08-02-05, 12:09 AM
Is there any way to select which type of shells you want to carry on your boat before a patrol like you can with torpedoes?

ShipperS7
08-02-05, 12:11 AM
While we're on this topic, can someone please tell me how to select different shells for the deckgun?

CobraCommander
08-02-05, 12:27 AM
To change the ammo loadout, go to this directory:

...SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg

Open: basic.cfg

Search for these entries, change as preferred (AP, HE, SS; in my example HE only):

[AMMO_TYPE0];10.5cm SK C/32
Idx=0
Year=1939
Month=1
AP=0
HE=120
SS=0
Renown=0

[AMMO_TYPE1];8.8cm SK C/35
Idx=1
Year=1939
Month=1
AP=0
HE=240
SS=0
Renown=0

To change to different ammo types ingame (if different types are available), man the guns, hit F10 and click on the preferred ammo type.

Zero Niner
08-02-05, 12:49 AM
What was the historical loadout for U-Boats? I read on a post somewhere that U-Boats carried only HE ammo.

Drebbel
08-02-05, 02:06 AM
While we're on this topic, can someone please tell me how to select different shells for the deckgun?

Go to the deck gun and double click on the ammo of your choice.

ShipperS7
08-02-05, 02:08 AM

Go to the deck gun and double click on the ammo of your choice. Seriously? I have tried that before but it didn't work... :-?

Duli
08-02-05, 03:01 AM
What was the historical loadout for U-Boats? I read on a post somewhere that U-Boats carried only HE ammo.

Yes, IX boats had 150HE, Type VII had 220HE.

Mouseketeer
08-02-05, 04:09 AM
BTW, is anyone using SS? For me they're useless.

SmokinTep
08-02-05, 08:47 AM
I'll use them early war at night just for eye candy. Mainly I'll fire a few off when I get close to port. Got to alert the women we are coming home......... :lol:

slow_n_ez
08-02-05, 08:48 AM

Go to the deck gun and double click on the ammo of your choice. Seriously? I have tried that before but it didn't work... :-?

It has to be manned first before you go to it ..........

kholemann
08-02-05, 09:23 AM
So does this mean that we can't get rid of useless SS replacing them with HE?

-------------------------------------------
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky" - Bill Clinton

Stormflux
08-02-05, 10:28 AM
I'm curious, when should I use Armor Piercing and when should I use High Explosive? Where should I aim?

MonkeyHero
08-02-05, 10:42 AM
I haven't really experimented much, but I used AP when I'm aiming for the hull right along or just below the waterline. I figure that's where I just want to put a hole. I use HE if I'm firing higher up at cargo or the bridge and just trying to start fires and just cause more damage for the crew to deal with.

SmokinTep
08-02-05, 10:55 AM
I'll concentrate my AP rounds below the waterline in the same place. Usually, I use the HE rounds to take out the gun emplacement, then wreak havoc on deck. I usually use the HE rounds at long range.

redstorm101
08-02-05, 11:41 AM
I'm curious, when should I use Armor Piercing and when should I use High Explosive? Where should I aim?

AP...armor ships
HE...good for non-armor and Top of deck shots

:up:

redstorm101
08-02-05, 11:46 AM
BTW, is anyone using SS? For me they're useless.

I agree with you buddy...Man I used the SS on a night mission...just to see the eye candy! 2min after that....2 DD on my A$$.....not good.... :rotfl:

Sailor Steve
08-02-05, 12:32 PM
As was pointed out by CobraCommander and Duli, U-boats didn't carry any AP or SS ("Illuminating Shell", as they called it). You can carry any amount of anything you like, but that's what they carried historically.