PDA

View Full Version : Reduce Allied Aircraft Speed MOD

sdcruz
07-25-05, 04:08 AM
Gives you extra seconds to crash dive to safety.

Testers needed.

http://rapidshare.de/files/3308824/aircraft_max_speed_mod.zip.html

Regards
Shelton.

Oesten
07-25-05, 08:58 AM
Please tell us more about the mod.

How much is the speed reduced by? Is it realistic in your view, if so why? Did Allied planes do low speed bombing runs historically?

Lanzfeld
07-25-05, 09:43 AM
can you make this mod for just the smaller as these are the ones that are lways seen really late?

joea
07-25-05, 10:29 AM
I hate resorting to unrealistic mods to make up for unrealistic bugs/features in the game. Just IMHO, not meant as a criticism.

Jace11
07-25-05, 10:43 AM
Dunno, I think reducing speed is fine. In airpower mod, I reduced speeds slightly. My reasoning behind this is that all the action takes place at relatively low altitude in SH3 so max speeds can be reigned in a little. Simply takings a planes max speed and using that as its max speed in game may be wrong, if that speed is only achievable above 8000m.

CCIP
07-25-05, 10:44 AM
Well I've grown to be quite fine with AirPower settings, and I don't really see a problem with airplanes anymore, personally. I can escape them most of the time even on surface with little warning. :hmm:

Seaboy
07-25-05, 10:56 AM
CCIP - I agree - I wasn't aware that anything was amiss with planes. They are realistically dangerous. They are what made it very difficult for u-boats near the end of WWII. I think the only thing I thought was odd, was when I was in the Irish Sea in 1943 I was attacked by 6 or 7 bombers all at once. I thought those numbers might be a bit high for just one sub. But I didn't care because it made the game fun. I think a better plan would be to slightly decrease the plane's hit rate. I did it once - during one load of SH3 and that seemed to help. But the next time I loaded SH3 on my PC I dropped it cause I prefer danger. Few u-boats survived all through the war - I'm not sure why we feel we need to.

Wulfmann
07-25-05, 11:28 AM
If the mod is based on reality regarding the true high cruising speeds at low altitudes I would prefer they were, in fact, accurate and learn to live with what ever that is.
I took the bombs off the Hurricane because they not only had no bombs they were not used for A/S patrols. I reduced the Ju87 to correct bomb loads even though I have never seen a Ju87 and they are not even an enemy. I will do that for any plane, up or down, to reflect reality.

Is this mod based on making it easier or correcting the speeds to be real?

Wulfmann

CCIP
07-25-05, 11:34 AM
I think it's obviously a workaround for the short notice at which the planes attack after being spotted. I don't really see anything unreasonable about the original settings, but I guess some do... :hmm:

Oesten
07-25-05, 11:51 AM
I took the bombs off the Hurricane because they not only had no bombs they were not used for A/S patrols.
Wulfmann

That's a good idea. How did you do that?

Wulfmann
07-25-05, 01:06 PM
I changed the cfg by eliminating the bombs then opened the the eqp file by adding .txt to the end of the file name so I could see it in notepad then removed the bombs and replaced them with null. I also changed the ge and en logs to show no bombs.
When done I delete the .txt I added to the eqp
This is required when adjusting any loads for any planes.
Wulfmann

sdcruz
07-25-05, 05:39 PM
let me know what you mean by the "smaller" planes some suggested to reduce speed on these ones -

Basically this mod reduces some of the allied aircraft Max Speed so that my Watch Crew has extra time in spotting and notifying that aircraft is spotted.

Let me know what you guys think.

Regards

Shelton.

Wulfmann
07-25-05, 07:10 PM
SD, my big question is what speed did you use? That is are you adjusting the speed based on what the speed would be for low altitude because the game was using the ideal speed at a higher altitude?
Or, have you chosen a high cruising speed ove the fastest combat speed?
I believe most would prefer you to say, for example; The speed was 200MPH which was the speed for 12,000 feet but I changed it to 182MPH because that was the real speed at 500feet or SL.
Ok, I would like that, LOL
Maybe I am alone?????
I see no data as to what you did and I would like to know what the mod changed it too.
Wulfmann

sdcruz
07-26-05, 02:47 AM
Hi Wulfmann

These are the changes I made:

Hurricane 200 from 330
Catalina 150 from 190
Sunderland 120 (changed to 160) from 225
Avenger 160 from 224
SwordFish 110 from 142

As I said this is for testing only - if anyone can help me with the correct values - I will be pleased to put those in (at sea level speeds)

Many thanks :roll:

Shelton.

joea
07-26-05, 04:50 AM
What units are those in? The default seem high for KPH but for sure in MPH.

sdcruz
07-26-05, 05:11 AM
good question - i could not work it out either - consulting the museum it seems to be in Knts their speeds so I'm not too sure.

regards
Shelton.

sdcruz
07-26-05, 05:55 AM
My findings to far - 1st column is my new values - 2nd is Max speed at optimal altitude.

Swordfish 202KmH Max speed 224km/h source (http://uboat.net[/url)
Sunderland 294KmH Max Speed 334Km/h source (http://www.xs4all.nl/~fbonne/warbirds/ww2htmls/shorsunder.html[/url)
Hurri 368KmH Max Speed 550 Kph at 6705 m source (http://www.zap16.com/mil%20fact/Hawker%20Sea%20Hurricane.htm[/url)
Catalina 276KmH Max Speed 288 Kph source (http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/specs/consolid/pby-5a.htm[/url)

sdcruz
07-26-05, 06:02 AM
and the Avenger:

Grumman 294kMh Max Speed 433 Kmh http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraft/Grumman-Avenger/aveng_info/avenge_info.htm

If you guys have any more accurate speeds of these aircrafts at SEA LEVEL - please let me know - I would love to update this mod - even if it is only used by myself.

Thanks
Shelton.

Wulfmann
07-26-05, 11:55 AM
While that is the near correct stats for a HurrII, that plane was not used until late 1941 and since they have the Cane as the early patrol plane, I suggest you use the stats for a Hurricane MK1A with would be about 6-10% less).
Just a thought.
Note; the max speed of a Hurricane MK1A is 317MPH at 16,500 feet. It is 279MPH at SL. That is wide open and with a modertae fuel load.
The MKIIB is 340MPH at 21,500 feet and 292 at SL.
Wulfmann

joea
07-26-05, 12:23 PM
Well I'm goign to give your mod a try but don't know when I'll be able to play.

Work and studies. :88)

sdcruz
07-26-05, 05:34 PM
Wulfmann - thanks for the infor - I will amend in due course

Joea - let me know how you go when you get the chance.

Regards
Shelton.

Knotical
07-26-05, 07:23 PM
Hi Wulfmann

These are the changes I made:

Hurricane 200 from 330
Catalina 150 from 190
Sunderland 120 (changed to 160) from 225
Avenger 160 from 224
SwordFish 110 from 142

As I said this is for testing only - if anyone can help me with the correct values - I will be pleased to put those in (at sea level speeds)

Many thanks :roll:

Shelton.

If the speeds are indeed in knots I agree your new ones are
probably more appropriate. I'm going to give your mod a try and
see, Ive been standing on the bridge and seen a Hurri zoom by out of a dive and start his climbout before my watch crew reported it! :hmm:

Oesten
07-26-05, 07:29 PM
Remember, the top speed of a plane carrying bombs is considerably less than the top speed of a plane without bombs.

Carrying bombs would slow the Hurricane down by at least 20 knots, IMO. Same for the other planes.

v!por
07-26-05, 08:06 PM
SD:

I installed and have more time to react.... Thank u for work around on this problem.

What I do is watch the sub icon to see if it starts turning a lighter green .... finger on the crash dive button and can five quick enough avoid damage with your mod...... must turn hard after below water and they miss on their run...

Problem is the B24.... little warning b4 bombs are literally falling around u.

Another problem.. ac makes this game more of "dodge the ac" rather than finding and sinking ships:<)

I am in April of 43 and dive to 20 meters along the convoy routes every 40 nms.... not finding much....

again thanks for work around.... others are currently experimenting with increasing ai visual sighting range... Jung has determined the sub radar warning systems are dramatically off on max distance.......

Again thanks to modders :<)

sdcruz
07-26-05, 09:44 PM
hi V!por

Thanks for your feedback - very much appreciated - OK i have not touched the B24 - so I will modify it alittle - and update the link - will you be interested in the modification of the mod?

Regards
Shelton.

sdcruz
07-26-05, 09:46 PM
Knotical

Yes the speed are in Knots, so yes, I think slowing down the planes, especially at Sea Level, is most approprate - let me know what you think.

Thanks
Shelton.