PDA

View Full Version : My chat with Jamie about lack of missions for OHP, P-3 etc.

XabbaRus
07-14-05, 04:12 PM
In a conversation I had with Jamie via PM the other day I lamented the fact that there were few missions for the new playables especially the OHP. He also had noticed this and was mildly dissappointed that they had not seemed to be as popular as SCS had anticipated. They had hoped that the diverse range of platforms would help recruit additional wargaming/strategy gamers who may appreciate the diversity of play (and inherent strategy) available to them in DW."

I suggest that we start to ramp up on the production of missions with the FFG, MH-60, P-3 so that we can try our best to "convert" those Sub Command fans too - who may be sitting on the fence and waiting to purchase DW.

To remedy this I am working on an OHP mission in the Persian Gulf around Iraq. Going to be a long one too with lots to do.

Fandango
07-14-05, 04:26 PM
These new missions could be then included in the next patch...

TLAM Strike
07-14-05, 04:39 PM
I got some missions that include the OHP, MH-60 and Kilo in the works its just too hot (and humid) here in Rochester for my brain to work. I'll try and kick some out soon. :yep:

timmyg00
07-14-05, 05:22 PM
I've included an FFG in many of my MP missions for my league; I don't often construct SP missions anymore, but I might try my hand at it again for the sake of adding more FFG content to the community ;)

For the record, I love driving that thing :D

TG

XabbaRus
07-14-05, 05:59 PM
Cool got the attention.

Need more SP missions though timmy any MP missions you wish yo make available for the community would be good.

Now we just need to get tons of people on HL like IL-2 has :)

Syxx_Killer
07-14-05, 06:30 PM
I LOVE using the OHP. My favorite weapon is the 76mm cannon and the CIWS. I wish there were more missions for the OHP. Hearing "TAO, Sonar Sup. Loud explosion, bearing 307" is music to my ears! :D :rotfl: I love doing the African Bees Nest mission (or whatever it's called). If the 76mm doesn't do those little blue boats in, the CIWS will. :D :D

The only thing I don't like is how easy it is to get attacked by submarines. Does the Nixie even work? :lol:

I haven't really used the MH-60 or P3 much. I guess I kind of like the surface and subsurface units better. I also don't have my joystick hooked up to the computer because there is really no room on my desk.

Sea Demon
07-14-05, 06:53 PM
I've got a gaggle of missions almost ready to upload. One happens to be an OHP mission that takes place in the Red Sea, on it's way to the Persian Gulf. I'll focus hardest on that one and release it early.

Sea Demon

elcid
07-14-05, 11:48 PM
Are there any training documents out there that focus on the OHP? It's got a load of stations to master and so far I haven't seen dedicated to OHP training. Something like the TACMAN for the OHP? It would go well with some training missions too :)

elcid

Sea Demon
07-15-05, 12:40 AM
Thinking about this a little more, the only reason I haven't built too many missions yet (and the key word is yet ;) ) is because I'm still learning the OHP platform. It is very complex and much different in operation than a sub (obviously). But I am still learning it and making progress. I play the OHP at least once every other day. It is a fun platform and I'm excited to have it. I think other people may be in the same boat as me (no pun intended). We're still learning and that's why we haven't built too many missions for it yet.

I can guarantee, I would be extremely excited to see an Tico or an Arleigh Burke add-on. I do appreciate getting a peek into the world of Surface Warfare/ASW in this game.

Sea Demon

Fandango
07-15-05, 01:45 AM
I do appreciate getting a peek into the world of Surface Warfare/ASW in this game.
Sea Demon

I second that!!! :up:

But not U.S. platforms only...with other platforms, the game combinations would increase so much... :)

Pigfish
07-15-05, 02:05 AM
:hmm: :hmm:

Barleyman
07-15-05, 06:25 AM
I LOVE using the OHP. My favorite weapon is the 76mm cannon and the CIWS.

Well, IMO the 76mm gun is a bit useless. The gun seems to fire at solution, not at whatever firecontrol radar is locked into!

Therefore you're often churning water consistently off the target. Of course with a bit of fudging you can usually score hits, but.. In a tight spot the SM2 is just more reliable!

Barleyman
07-15-05, 06:32 AM
Perry, Orion and helo missions are a lot easier to approach. And in many ways more "fun" or at least faster paced.

In subs you're easily overwhelmed in a contact rich environment, especially due to mirrored contacts from TA. Sorting out contacts in the akula NB screen soon starts feeling like work, not like fun.. Especially when you have 3-4 contacts overlapping due to the aperture size!

Other platforms can just use radar/visual and triangulation from multiple sonobuyous making dealing with a cluttered environment pretty easy.

And personally I've never been able to deal with OHP TA station so I just use autocrew.

SquidB
07-15-05, 12:12 PM
I think the lack of missions for the OHP at least is because its unfamilliar to most people. As has already been stated its quite a departure from the subs by its very nature.

The manual that comes with DW, whilst excellent tends to give information on how the systems work and little on their employment.

Now if someone in the know could put together a manual like the blue book or tacmanual id play the ohp more.

Any takers?

elcid
07-16-05, 12:21 AM
I would be extremely excited to see an Tico or an Arleigh Burke add-on. I do appreciate getting a peek into the world of Surface Warfare/ASW in this game.

Sea Demon

I'm with you there.. the potential for this game and one virtual naval battlefield is exciting. Imagine an F18 (Jane's F/A 18) pilot ready to launch to an attack but can't .. cause his carrier is sinking (eat some fish for lunch) ..

hehehe.. I know it's far from reality but who knows... maybe one day?

MaHuJa
07-16-05, 09:42 AM
I've done some work on a ffguide, but it's still a little left until it's finished.

diver
07-16-05, 09:19 PM
I love playing as the OHP, gives me a chance to test my amatuer PWO skills. Probably spend more time on it that the other platforms combined. I'm hoping for new playable surface assets in DWX.

Unfortunatly the lack of OP missionsis frustrating me, still though I just love playing as a frigate.

TLAM Strike
07-19-05, 10:18 PM
Just posted two missions on my site. One for the Kilo one for the P-3. ;)

Bellman
07-19-05, 11:34 PM
Thanks TLAM - just downloaded 'Japan Blockade' and 'Victors3'
and the WinZip folders of both contained the same Victors X 3.mu

Bellman
07-19-05, 11:44 PM
'Commerce Raider' dls. as Japan Blockade with above mu.
Victors 3 is OK.

Just a filing thing :yep:

TLAM Strike
07-19-05, 11:59 PM
Doh! Ok I've added the correct file to the Japan Blockade zip (the mission titled 'Commerce Raider' ingame).

Bellman
07-20-05, 12:05 AM
All fine and dandy now. Cheers. :)