PDA

View Full Version : Trying to mod electric engines submerged

rulle34
07-14-05, 02:33 PM
Hello!
I always wanted my sub to have this swisch-swisch sound under water, like in Das Boot! I succeded to record this sound from the movie and created a new "Submarine_electric_exterior" file. (Yes its 16 bit mono and a wave file) Wich I thought was the file used when you listen to the sound from the boat submerged and e-machine on. Unfortunately this sound I created didn't appear. It was still this "hard" more noicy sound.

Does anyone know what file/-s are used to create this sound. (when I use F 12 and go under water and watch (+listen) to the boat from outside)

I really want to have this sound instead. If someone want this file I can post it.

Hoping for help
/Rulle

macstu23
07-15-05, 03:14 AM
I've listened to all the sounds in SH3 when I was trying out some replacements, and I'm fairly certain 'submarine_electric_exterior.wav' is indeed the sound of the electric engines from outside the sub when using free-cam. So long as you correctly named your new file and put it in the correct folder ..which I'm sure you did, then I cant understand why you wouldn't have heard it in game.

When I was trying out some different aircraft sounds I found that I had to convert 16 bit files to 8 bit in order to hear them in the game...otherwise I got no sound or a ctd. That could just be my system and soundcard however.

Send it here if you like and I'll test it for you.
macstu23@hotmail.com

rulle34
07-15-05, 05:59 AM
Thanks macstu23 for your answer.

I have done some hard work on this since i posted this and found out that there is in fact two files working at the same time:
1. Submarine_electric_exterior
2. Submarine propellers 2

The nr 2 was totally dominating, thats why I couldn't hear the other one!

I have make some hard work tuning these two files and now I have according to me, a very nice "Das Boot" underwater sound!

Realistic or not, but it sounds very close to the sound in the movie.
If you are interested I can send them to you if you like!

ps. I haven't tried to convert them to 8 bit sound. Maybe that had been a easier way!

/Rulle

macstu23
07-15-05, 10:26 AM
Sounds good. By all means, email them to me if you like or upload them somewhere.

rulle34
07-15-05, 10:40 AM
Hello!
I have just emailed them to you.
Just let me know what you think, if they are worth upload somewhere

/Rulle

macstu23
07-15-05, 05:11 PM
Thanks for that rulle. I just tried your replacement wavs out in-game and I think they sound really good. I'm used to hearing just the default electric engine and submarine prop sounds so it seemed quieter than I was used to at first, but I do like it. Definitely more of a wet 'slosh' sound as the propellor blades churn the water.

If you were thinking of uploading somewhere, might i suggest http://u-boot.realsimulation.com/
I also heard a rumour that subsim.com like to host mods too :D

rulle34
07-15-05, 07:38 PM
Glad you liked it.
The purpose was to make the sound as in the movie Das Boot!
I just love that sceen when the boat comes towards you submerged and with that special "swisch-swisch" sound.

I agree that the boat is quite silent, but for me, I like the sound better the more I listen to it.

I do think that the stock sound is a little bit to noisy for being electric propulsion.

I'll make the mod ready for jsgme and try to upload it.

/Rulle