PDA

View Full Version : A first patrol with RUB 1.42. Notes about combat stress.

Cpt.Nautilus
07-11-05, 07:03 AM
I'm almost at the end of my first patrol with RUB 1.42, and let me say first that I've enjoyed it much more than all the patrols I've done before. The scarcity of targets make you want to attack which ever you find. Before, I was a little picky, looking with contempt any ship that was less than 6000 t. The realistic plotting is a great improvement too.

I have some question about the combat stress though. I like the fact that your crew get more and more stressed as the patrol goes, and obviously they get stressed only when danger is lurking and you have to play below 64x TC. Actually, by now, at the end of my patrol, most of my crew has the black stress indicator, including 3 among 5 of my officers. This is good. But I don't see it much reflected in the game. I mean, if I put an officer (even a stressed one) at a station, I instantly get a full green bar and I have no penalty at all. So, although I like the idea that the stress of my crew must be managed as is my ammo and fuel level (and in reality, I'm sure it was a factor), it doesn't seem to have a great effect. Why bother about crew stress as just putting an officer in the right place solves the problem?

Another problem comes from the harbour traffic. You can't play above 32x TC for a long time, and thus your crew is becoming stressed just by steering his way out of the home base... Sounds strange...

Anyway, I enjoy this RUB 1.42! Thanks Beery, Guldjig and all those who contributed to it!

pampanito
07-11-05, 01:39 PM
If you are really sure about your steering abilities, you can change the main.cfg file in 'my files\SH3':

[TIME COMPRESSION]
LandProximity=64

So you can set out at warp speed, even from Lorient! :know:

Jisz
07-11-05, 01:49 PM
If you are really sure about your steering abilities, you can change the main.cfg file in 'my files\SH3':

[TIME COMPRESSION]
LandProximity=64

So you can set out at warp speed, even from Lorient! :know:

dont think this will help cause u meet alot of ships and planes if u use harbor traffic mod which has nothing to do with landproximity.

Beery
07-12-05, 08:13 PM
Why bother about crew stress as just putting an officer in the right place solves the problem?

To be frank, crew stress isn't fully implemented in RUb 1.42. We changed a lot of things with the new crew setup in 1.42, so I wanted to be sure that it all worked fine before I really implemented the hardcore balancing of the crew. 1.43 will have a more challenging crew setup which will require a bit more than an officer in order for it to work at all once the crew is fatigued. When 1.43 is done, you will have approximately the same situation as the previous RUbs, where you'll need to train a couple of guys in order to get to a comfortable crew state.

Another problem comes from the harbour traffic. You can't play above 32x TC for a long time, and thus your crew is becoming stressed just by steering his way out of the home base... Sounds strange...

This is true. It's something that we'll have to live with. It's only for an hour, so all you have to do is keep the crew out of the high fatigue areas and in the rest areas until you get past the mines. Consider it like a start-of-patrol-jitters sort of thing.

Anyway, I enjoy this RUB 1.42! Thanks Beery, Guldjig and all those who contributed to it!

Thanks. :up: