PDA

View Full Version : Surface radar can't detect missiles??!

Mau
07-09-05, 12:26 PM
Reading a post by Molon Labe on the Vaults and tricks, it seems that the surface radar can't detect missile? Well hopefully it is not totally true because in real life your Sea Skimmer missile will be detected first by your Air/Surface radar (SPS-55) at around 18 miles (of course depending on a lot of stuff)
Yes I can see the SPS-49 detecting first missiles coming at you if they are High Diver or at their apogee of their boost phase

Has to be verify!

Actually just found out that the SPS-55 is a surface radar only, but still should be able (I think) to detect sea skimmer?

Mau
07-09-05, 12:33 PM
As well, in that regards the SPS-49 is not very good a t detecting and more over tracking at close range (inside 30miles some sea skimmer threat.

The SPS-49 not being detected by ESM, that makes perfectlysense (well at least for 90% of the ESM system!)

Lt. Staumeier
07-13-05, 04:04 PM
Read the whole thread. It is confirmed that bad weather (rain and stuff) makes it near impossible to detect missiles. Otherwise, the FFGs radar picks the missiles up almost instantly after launch.

Mau
07-13-05, 04:41 PM
Which thread is that?
Help me please