PDA

View Full Version : Installer for MVP !! VERY Important Update !!

Woof1701
07-08-05, 09:04 AM
-- EDIT -- 09.07.2005

Due to two major bugs which may delete several files and don't install two others I created an updated version labeled V1.1! It fixes both bugs. It is important that you install the new version!

Download here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/2918924/MVP_ModInstallerV11.zip.htm

you can directly replace both files in your SilentHunterIII folder.

In case you prviously used the restore function of V1.0 you are most likely missing several important texture files which you can download here

http://rapidshare.de/files/2918745/MVPMI_recovery.zip.html

Please extract the content directly into your SilentHunterIII folder. It will add the missing files in the appropriate folders. If you're unsure whether the files were deleted, download and install this file anyway.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Original Post

Hi everybody,

As I already stated in the MVP thread I was working on a way to improve the current batch file used for Iamcebomelive's excellent Merchant Variety Pack, and I tried to overcome a few of its shortcomings.

- No backup function
- Can only be used when SH3 is installed in a cetrain folder unless editing the batch file
- No restore function to revert to the original files.

With the kind help of Yattky (beta tester) and The Avon Lady (who had some terrific suggestions and also revised the readme file, special thanks for that) I think we were successful.

Here's the readme file, so you'll know what you get yourselves into ;)

Merchant Variety Pack Mod Installer (MVPMI)
For Iambecomelife's SH3 Merchant Variety Pack V1.0 (MVP) Mod

By Andreas Feilner (Woof1701)

Version 1.0, July 8, 2005

General Information:
--------------------

The enclosed MVPMI batch file simplifies the installation and maintenance of Iambecomelife's MVP Mod. MVPMI is a total replacement of the batch file installer that comes with the MVP Mod.

MVPMI makes it easier to install, backup, restore, activate and remove the MVP Mod. MVPMI can also be used in conjunction with the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME) utility program.

Unlike the MVP Mod's batch installer file, MVPMI has no requirements as to the install drive, folder location or folder name where SH3 is installed. on your PC.

Requirements:
-------------

The enclosed MVPMI is designed to work with MVP Mod version 1.0. If you have a later version of the MVP Mod, do not use the enclosed MVPMI. Check to see if a newer MVPMI version is available.

If you've already installed the MVP Mod without using MVPMI, it is recommended that you restore the original SH3 files that were changed by the MVP Mod and then uninstall the MVP Mod, prior to following the MVPMI installation instructions that follow, below.

Installation alternatives:
--------------------------

There are two alternative methods to installing the MVP Mod and the MVPMI - one in conjunction with using the JSGME and the other without using the JSGME.

No matter which installation method you have chosen, you should see the following folders and files prior to initially running the MVPMI batch file:

\SilentHunterIII\MVPMI.bat
\SilentHunterIII\MVP\*.tga (multiple TGA files)

Method #1 - Installing the MVP Mod and MVPMI using JSGME (Recommended):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Create a new folder within the JSGME's \SilentHunterIII\MOD folder. This new folder can be named as you prefer. A suggested name would be "Merchant VarietyPack V1.0", or similar. That folder name will be used as an example in the following instruction steps.

2. Copy into the new "Merchant VarietyPack V1.0" folder the entire folder named "MVP" that came with the MVP Mod. You should now have the following folder and files installed:

\SilentHunterIII\MOD\Merchant VarietyPack V1.0\MVP\*.tga (multiple TGA files)

You do NOT need the additional "SilentHunterIII" folder that was included in the MVP Mod archive.

3. Copy the enclosed MVPMI.bat file DIRECTLY into folder \SilentHunterIII\MOD\Merchant VarietyPack V1.0\.

4. You can optionally delete original MVP Mod files "MVP.bat" and "Shortcut to MVP.bat.lnk" in folder \SilentHunterIII\MOD\Merchant VarietyPack V1.0\MVP\.

5. Run JSGME and install mod "Merchant VarietyPack V1.0". JSGME will have copied folder \MVP\ and the MVPMI batch file into SH3's root installation folder.

6. For convenience, it is recommended that you create a desktop shortcut to run the MVPMI batch file.

7. Run the MVPMI batch file and follow the instructions to backup SH3's original files that will be replaced by the MVP Mod. There are help text screens to assist you. Failure to use MVPMI to backup SH3's original files the first time MVPMI is run may result in the permanent loss of SH3's original files. JSGME did not backup SH3's original files when mod "Merchant VarietyPack V1.0" was installed in step 5, above. So backup now using MVPMI!

8. You can exit MVPMI now or select MVPMI's option to install the MVP Mod and start SH3.

9. In the future, should you need to uninstall the MVP Mod and MVPMI, do the following:

- Run MVPMI and restore SH3's original file versions.
- Run MVPMI and delete the backup file copies created by installation step 7, above.
- Run JSGME and uninstall mod "Merchant VarietyPack V1.0".

Method #2 - Installing the MVP Mod and MVPMI without using JSGME:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

1. Copy into SH3's root folder, \SilentHunterIII\, the entire folder named "MVP" that came with the MVP Mod. You should now have the following folder and files installed:

\SilentHunterIII\MVP\*.tga (multiple TGA files)

You do NOT need the additional "SilentHunterIII" folder that was included in the MVP Mod archive.

2. Copy the enclosed MVPMI.bat file DIRECTLY into SH3's root folder \SilentHunterIII\.

3. You can optionally delete original MVP Mod files "MVP.bat" and "Shortcut to MVP.bat.lnk" in folder \SilentHunterIII\MVP\.

4. For convenience, it is recommended that you create a desktop shortcut to run the MVPMI batch file.

5. Run the MVPMI batch file and follow the instructions to backup SH3's original files that will be replaced by the MVP Mod. There are help text screens to assist you. Failure to use MVPMI to backup SH3's original files the first time MVPMI is run may result in the permanent loss of SH3's original files. So backup now using MVPMI!

6. You can exit MVPMI now or select MVPMI's option to install the MVP Mod and start SH3.

7. In the future, should you need to uninstall the MVP Mod and MVPMI, do the following:

- Run MVPMI and restore SH3's original file versions.
- Run MVPMI and delete the backup file copies created by installation step 7, above.
- Manually delete the following folder and file:

\SilentHunterIII\MVP\
\SilentHunterIII\MVPMI.bat

Acknowledgements:
-----------------

Special thanks to my beta testers:

The Avon Lady
Yattky

Contact Information:
--------------------

Comments and questions about the MVP Mod and JSGME utility program should be addressed to their respective authors.

Comments and questions about the enclosed MVPMI should be addressed to:

Andreas Feilner
a.k.a. Woof1701, on the forums at SubSim.com
Email: mr.woof@web.de
Site: http://www.mx-5-roadster.de/

Catfish
07-08-05, 09:16 AM
Hello,
thanks a lot to you, Avon lady and Yattky !
I left this mod out because it was a pain making it compatible to the JSGME - problem solved :o Man i like this.

Greetings and thanks,
Catfish

terrapin
07-08-05, 09:30 AM
Great! - Available at my site also :)
Andreas: Vier virtuelle Paulaner auf meine Kosten! :D

Woof1701
07-08-05, 09:53 AM

terrapin
07-08-05, 10:00 AM

Au recht! - I don't drink beer at all bei dem Sauwetter!

Woof1701
07-08-05, 10:05 AM

I don't drink beer. Period. Eigentlich eine Schande als Münchener ;)

terrapin
07-08-05, 10:06 AM

I don't drink beer. Period. Eigentlich eine Schande als Münchener ;)

Me only when it's very hot. And then bayrisches :D

LukeFF
07-08-05, 11:25 AM
Thanks, Woof! This is a much, much simpler way of randomizing these excellent skins.

Detritus
07-08-05, 11:55 AM
Brilliant :up: Muchos gracias :sunny:

Deep Six
07-08-05, 07:50 PM
Bootiful...............Thanks to all for this great mod !!!!

Deep six

rulle34
07-08-05, 07:57 PM
Thanks Woof for this installer. :up:

At my first attempt I saw that C3's had their stock skin. All other ships had new modded skins! I then remember that you had to put two separate files in the "tex folder".

This is what the iambecomelife's read me file says: "put NPPLD.tga and NKC3.tga in data\textures\tnormal\tex".

I put these two files in the "tex" folder and after I did this the C3's had new skins. I didn't see this in your read me. Maybe I have made something wrong, but I think this should be added in your read me!

Many thanks
/Rulle

Woof1701
07-09-05, 05:16 AM
No it's my mistake. I completely forgot about those two files. I was so concerned witht the backup function, that I didn't include this feature. :damn:

I'm working on it. Sorry.

Woof1701
07-09-05, 06:34 AM
ATTENTION:

There's another mistake!! DO NOT USE THE RECOVERY OPTION!! It will accidentally delete several tga files that will still be needed!!!

For those of you, who already did, I uploaded the files that may have accidentally been deleted. Just extract MVPMI_recovery.zip into your main Silent Hunter folder.

http://rapidshare.de/files/2918745/MVPMI_recovery.zip.html

I'm deeply sorry about this. The bug will be removed in the updated version V1.1 available this afternoon.

rulle34
07-09-05, 07:18 AM
Hello Woof?
I still have a question for you. Don't you have to put NPPLD.tga and NKC3.tga in data\textures\tnormal\tex folder to make it work? Are you supposed to have these two files directly under Silent hunter III folder??.

/Rulle

terrapin
07-09-05, 07:46 AM
Updated Version 1.1 also available at my site, buggy version deleted.

Woof1701
07-09-05, 08:18 AM
@Rulle34

Yes you're right. As said above I completely forgot about those files. The new version takes care of that. It copies the files in the right directory AND into the backup folder and deletes the files from the SH3 folder. As soon as you use the restore option it will copy the files back into the SH3 folder.

Updated Version 1.1 also available at my site, buggy version deleted.

Thanks Terrapin!

Krieg-Schwein
07-09-05, 09:45 AM
Is it possible to add few lines to copy a few shins to the D:\SilentHunterIII\data\Textures\TNormal\tex and name them NKC3.tga I got sick of looking at the C3 so I took matters in my own hand and grabed one of the skins that looked like it would be a close match and threw in in that dir and named it NKC3.tga

I think it looks good!!

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/3960/c38mn.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

The Avon Lady
07-09-05, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the correction and recovery files, Woof! :up:

Woof1701
07-10-05, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the correction and recovery files, Woof! :up:

Least I could do after that stupid mistake :damn:

The Avon Lady
07-10-05, 08:49 AM
I've got a new problem. I uninstalled the old version and installed your rcovery file to replace the missing original files.

Then I installed using JSGME, ran option 1 to backup, then option 2 to start SH3 with the MVP. Got the following error messages first, immediately followed by the expected FILE COPIED messages:
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the file specified.
Looking at MVPMI's command sequence, it would appear that the following two commands are what's failing:
copy mvp\backup\data\textures\TNormal\tex\NKC3.tga data\textures\TNormal\tex\NKC3.tga
copy mvp\backup\data\textures\TNormal\tex\NPPLD.tga data\textures\TNormal\tex\NPPLD.tga
How come?

How best to recover?

:dead:

UPDATE: Looking again at MVPMI.bat's code, I noticed in the backup code the following:
IF EXIST NKC3.tga (
goto bak1
) ELSE (
goto bak2
)

:bak1
copy NKC3.tga mvp\backup\data\textures\TNormal\tex\NKC3.tga
copy NPPLD.tga mvp\backup\data\textures\TNormal\tex\NPPLD.tga

del NKC3.tga
del NPPLD.tga

:bak2
What are these 2 files?

Why do they exist in some installations but not in others, like mine?

If such a check is correct, the same checks should be made for all the other options, not just for backup. Why isn't that so?

UPDATE: In MVPMI.bat, "Iambecomelife" is incorrectly spelled as "Iamcebomelive". :nope:

UPDATE: Looking at the MVP mod's install documentation, I see it says:
There are three possible installation methods. For all three, back up the original tga's in your data\sea folder. After that, put NPPLD.tga and NKC3.tga in data\textures\tnormal\tex.
Well, these are the 2 missing files. They are not mentioned in the MVPMI install instructions. Should they be? If not, why not?

iambecomelife
07-11-05, 12:11 AM
I leave the forums for a couple of days and I come back to this.

Nice work, guys. Hopefully some people who might have been put off by the older version will now think of giving the MVP a shot. :up:

baronfrost
07-11-05, 12:35 AM
I did not do a back up of my original files. The installer keeps asking me to do a back up but when try that it says it can't locate the files. Is there a way to get it to work ?
:damn:

The Avon Lady
07-11-05, 01:39 AM
I did not do a back up of my original files. The installer keeps asking me to do a back up but when try that it says it can't locate the files. Is there a way to get it to work ?
:damn:
Look at Woof's first post here. There's a link to a recovery file, containing the game's original files.

Uninstall MVP and the MVPMU, restore from the recovery file archive and reinstall MVP and MVPMI again.

McBeck
07-11-05, 02:21 AM
Hi Woof!

You know, Iv made installers for a huge amount of mods for SH3.
The installers includes all that youy ask for.

Im currently in the states on vacation, but ill check this when I get back.

Woof1701
07-11-05, 01:47 PM
@Avon Lady
Hi, the two missing files where mentioned to me earlier in this post. I completely forgot about them and included an installation and backup routine for them. I also edited the readme file, so they should be mentioned in there too. They should be extracted from Iambecomelive's original archive into your \mods\Merchant Variety Pack V1.0\ folder, and copied to your \SilentHunterIII folder.
Sound like the files were either not extracted or not copied. To make absolutely sure uninstall and deactivate the whole thing and try again.

@McBeck
In case you can spare the time I'd be happy to leave the development of a more sophisticated installer to you. My knowledge ends at creating batch files.

@Iambecomelive
Thanks. Glad you like it. :)

The Avon Lady
07-11-05, 02:23 PM
@Avon Lady
Hi, the two missing files where mentioned to me earlier in this post. I completely forgot about them and included an installation and backup routine for them. I also edited the readme file, so they should be mentioned in there too. They should be extracted from Iambecomelive's original archive into your \mods\Merchant Variety Pack V1.0\ folder, and copied to your \SilentHunterIII folder.
Sound like the files were either not extracted or not copied. To make absolutely sure uninstall and deactivate the whole thing and try again.
I'm going to totally repackage the MVP to include both your bat file as well as the 2 files that go into folder data\textures\TNormal\tex, making it both installable with and without JSGME and I'll update the ReadMe to reflect all this.

Interested?

Woof1701
07-13-05, 11:36 AM
Sure. That'll be the easiest way. Of course if Iambecomelive doesn't mind :) Thanks!! Just post it here. I'll check it as soon as I'm back. CU next week.

The Avon Lady
07-13-05, 11:48 AM
Sure. That'll be the easiest way. Of course if Iambecomelive doesn't mind :) Thanks!! Just post it here. I'll check it as soon as I'm back. CU next week.
Here's a beta version of the MVP 1.0 pack I put together:

Merchant Variety Pack 1.0 and MVPMI (http://www.filefront.com/?filepath=/theofpfaq/sh3/SH3_Mod_MerchantVarietyPack10_and_MVPMI.rar)

Besides organizing the archive and eliminating what is totally useless, there are no major changes, though the new MVPMI bat file now handles files NKC3.tga and NPPLD.tga correctly and transparently.

I changed nothing in Iambecomelife's MVP mod, except to move the NKC3.tga and NPPLD.tga files to the MVP folder, update the Readme to refer to the MVP Mod Installer's documentation for install instructions and delete the remaining files, which are made totally redundant by Woof1701's MVPMI installer.

The only changes made to the MVPMI are the handling of files NKC3.tga and NPPLD.tga, now located in the MVP folder, appropriate updates to the ReadMe and upping the version number to 1.2

Remember, this is a beta install file. Works great here. Read the Readmes, follow them exactly and this should be a cinch!

Wolf52
07-14-05, 08:52 PM
One problem with the program Avon Lady, when i execute the .bat file from a shortcut on my desktop and select option two, it says it cannot find the file for the first two items but copies all the other files ok. However, the game functions ok. I cant see any problems.

The Avon Lady
07-15-05, 02:19 AM
One problem with the program Avon Lady, when i execute the .bat file from a shortcut on my desktop and select option two, it says it cannot find the file for the first two items but copies all the other files ok. However, the game functions ok. I cant see any problems.
Run the bat file. What version of the installer is shown in the title lines?

Wolf52
07-15-05, 08:11 AM
Installation utility v 1.1 for MVP v 1.0.

The Avon Lady
07-15-05, 08:45 AM
Installation utility v 1.1 for MVP v 1.0.
Then you are running the old version. The new one shows:
MVP Mod Installation (MVPMI) Utility V1.2, by Woof1701

for Iambecomelife's Merchant Variety Pack V 1.0 "Early War Edition"

Wolf52
07-15-05, 12:47 PM
Thats odd, because i got it from the link you posted above. I got it just last night so i thought it was the updated version. I just downloaded the version thats on there now (its using a different host than last night). Now, what do i need to do to make sure everything is ok when i move from the other installation to the new one?

EDIT: I uninstalled the old mod and used the new one, now when i run the randomizer all files copy ok. Thanks for this mod btw, it is awesome!

The Avon Lady
07-16-05, 02:06 PM
Thanks for this mod btw, it is awesome!
The thanks go to Iambecomelife for the mod and Woof1701 for the installer.

I'm just the packing girl. :smug:

sinewave
07-18-05, 01:54 AM
Avon Lady,

One confusing issue which could be clarified in the readme is that the readme does not specify which bat file to shortcut and run, the one in the JSME MOD folders, or the one installed (via JSME) in the ‘Silent Hunter III’ folder.

If you run the one in the JSME folder the correct path is not found and the mod does not take effect (and being an idiot, you don’t know why). I didn't realise what I was doing wrong with the first installation method until I had tried the second (non-JSME) installation method.

Then I finally understood what I was doing wrong, I was trying to run the right bat file from the wrong folder. Doh!

Perhaps you could clarify this within the readme of the final version?

Other than that, both installation methods worked fine, backup worked fine, un-installation worked fine, and randomisation and re-randomisation worked fine. :rock:

The only other thing I would suggest is to make the readme (singular) much more concise and brief. When one sees a large readme (or more than one :o ), with what looks to be a lot of steps and considerations, it does tend to put one off the mod. I know you are only repackaging it for JSME, but I think you should supply a JSME only installer version, with concise JSME install instructions (and some brief relevant notes on the mod and its author after this) and that would be a much better installer for the end-user.

Just a bit of fool-proofing for people like me. :yep:

The Avon Lady
07-18-05, 02:11 AM
Avon Lady,

One confusing issue which could be clarified in the readme is that the readme does not specify which bat file to shortcut and run, the one in the JSME MOD folders, or the one installed (via JSME) in the ‘Silent Hunter III’ folder.
I have yet to see a single mod that references files for execution in the JSGME's MOD folder. This mod's no different.
If you run the one in the JSME folder the correct path is not found and the mod does not take effect (and being an idiot, you don’t know why).
Now you're on to something! :rotfl: ;)
I didn't realise what I was doing wrong with the first installation method until I had tried the second (non-JSME) installation method.
From bad to worse! :88)
Then I finally understood what I was doing wrong, I was trying to run the right bat file from the wrong folder. Doh!
Life is about learning from your mistakes.
Perhaps you could clarify this within the readme of the final version?
The correct place for such obvious information is in the JSGME's own ReadMe, which already says the following:

Also, once you enable a mod, you must make sure not to alter files in the source MODS folder. If you want to modify or update files in the MODS folder, disable the mod first then re-enable again after the files are updated (ie if a newer version of the mod is released).

The MVPMI batch file's ReadMe already states:

JSGME will have copied folder \MVP\ and the MVPMI batch file into SH3's root installation folder..
The only other thing I would suggest is to make the readme (singular) much more concise and brief.
Tell me how. What's redundant? In fact, you just asked me to add more information to the ReadMe! :dead:
When one sees a large readme (or more than one :o ), with what looks to be a lot of steps and considerations, it does tend to put one off the mod. I know you are only repackaging it for JSME, but I think you should supply a JSME only installer version, with concise JSME install instructions (and some brief relevant notes on the mod and its author after this) and that would be a much better installer for the end-user.
If the MVP mod could be simply installed just by using JSGME, it would have been done by the modder, Iambecomelife.

But because of the complexity of the MVP mods method of working, there are no further shortcuts that can be made.

I don't know if you tried installing the original MVP mod, with its fixed installation path names and inflexibility if SH3's installed on anything other than drive C:. It was not a pretty situation.

Woof1701 resolved that with the enclosed MVPMI batch file. All I did was help beta test, update the documentation and clean up.

I seem to be always cleaning up. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

sinewave
07-18-05, 04:57 AM
The correct place for such obvious information is in the JSGME's own ReadMe, which already says the following:

Also, once you enable a mod, you must make sure not to alter files in the source MODS folder. If you want to modify or update files in the MODS folder, disable the mod first then re-enable again after the files are updated (ie if a newer version of the mod is released).

The MVPMI batch file's ReadMe already states:

JSGME will have copied folder \MVP\ and the MVPMI batch file into SH3's root installation folder..

Which is precisely the sort of thing I was referring to.

As you didn't understand what was being referred to, how about this:

--

Readme.txt example follows:

--

Brief description: This mod includes many new skins and randomises skins and merchant ships appearance each time you run it

Installation:
1. Backup
2. Extract and place in JSME
3. Enable
4. Run .batfile in SHIII folder
5. Follow onscreen instructions as the .bat executes.

Disclaimer: Use at your own risk

Credits: Blah Blah.

Accessory notes: (for anyone interested)

--

Simple and concise = easy to install, use and understand