PDA

View Full Version : Any developments on the cold war?

SquidB
07-07-05, 08:03 PM
Well the way i see it is the 'golden age' of sub warfare was the cold war. Ideally the late 80's. I hear that subguru has been working on a cold campain.

whats the status of that? I want to sink you capatalist pig dogs from my russkie boat. When can i expect to do that or should i just shut up and make my own scenarios?

kgsuarez
07-07-05, 08:15 PM
You're not alone, I want a Cold War campaign too.

Kapitan
07-08-05, 01:56 AM
same i think there is some not sure ask bill he will know

Bill Nichols
07-08-05, 05:51 AM
I'm working on a campaign based on Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising". I've got 10 missions done so far, another 2 or 3 to go. :|\

SquidB
07-08-05, 01:38 PM
great news...ill look forward to it with bated torpedo tubes :up:

mike_espo
07-10-05, 12:58 PM
I would think it would be tough since the technology is different 20 years ago from today.

If we had more drivable platforms: ie. the Alfa, Victor, Sturgeon, Foxtrot and the associated technology it would be awesome! :up:

A guy can dream, right?! :D

kgsuarez
07-10-05, 01:00 PM
I think that SCXII had the ability to change the playable subs. I think I even remember playing online in an Alfa class.

Kapitan
07-10-05, 01:12 PM
i share your dream mike id love to get behind a drivable al'fa or drivable foxtrot *dribbles*

mike_espo
07-10-05, 01:28 PM
I think that SCXII had the ability to change the playable subs. I think I even remember playing online in an Alfa class.

Yes. On subguru's site, I saw that too. I tried to get a copy of SC but I decided on DW instead.

kgsuarez
07-10-05, 02:35 PM
There will be a SCX type mod for DW. I think...

Kapitan
07-10-05, 02:38 PM
hope so cant wait to start blowing the virginias to pieces

boomer_killer
07-14-05, 08:24 AM
There will be a SCX type mod for DW. I think... if im not misatken that SCS wasnt very happy with SCX and didnt want this to be done to DW.

goldorak
07-14-05, 08:25 AM
I'm working on a campaign based on Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising". I've got 10 missions done so far, another 2 or 3 to go. :|\

Great :rock: I'm really looking forward the RSR campaign.

goldorak
07-14-05, 08:29 AM
There will be a SCX type mod for DW. I think...

No, adding new playable platforms is a definite no.
We will have (hopefully) a DWX for extreme realism but that won't mean we will have new playable platforms.

TLAM Strike
07-14-05, 09:01 AM
There will be a SCX type mod for DW. I think... if im not misatken that SCS wasnt very happy with SCX and didnt want this to be done to DW.

SCS was very happy with SCX's work (just compare the DW Beta Tester list in your manual and the SCX credits ;) ). However SCU did stuff that SCS didn't want done with their software, and the SCX/SCU team agreed not to do it with DWs since SCS wanted to make their own additional playables.

boomer_killer
07-14-05, 09:03 AM
i knew it was something alone those lines.

kgsuarez
07-14-05, 12:08 PM
What's the deal? Is SCS going to make playable Alfas? When?

goldorak
07-14-05, 12:09 PM
What's the deal? Is SCS going to make playable Alfas? When?

I think they will add modern platforms but not cold war submarines.
When and which platforms ? Thats the 100 million dollar question, in any case not less than 1 year in my humble opinion and as to what platforms they will add its all speculation.
Maybe they will add a surface soviet antagonist to the FFG but who knows ?

Ula Jolly
07-14-05, 01:30 PM
Waiddaminute... there will be NO new drivables? :stare:

goldorak
07-14-05, 01:36 PM
Waiddaminute... there will be NO new drivables? :stare:

Who said there will be no new drivables ?
SCS doesn't want an scu type mod for dw because they have stated that it is their intention to provide expansions in the form of new platforms for DW.
As to when, its a matter of speculation.

Ula Jolly
07-14-05, 02:13 PM
@ Goldorak: You said:

We will have (hopefully) a DWX for extreme realism but that won't mean we will have new playable platforms.
By this, did you mean that DWX will not contain playables, and that such work is to be left for SCS?

goldorak
07-14-05, 02:17 PM
@ Goldorak: You said:

By this, did you mean that DWX will not contain playables, and that such work is to be left for SCS?

No, I said that players introducing new platforms such as what happened with the scu mod for sub command will not be allowed on dangerous waters.
The DWX mod will not let players take command of new platforms, it will focus itself on makling the game more realistic by tweaking the database and introducing more nice looking platforms (only from a cosmetic point of view).
But as far as the hacking of dll files are concerned its absolutely proihibited.
SCS are the only ones who will (at a later time) introduce new playable platforms in the form of expansion packs.

kgsuarez
07-14-05, 02:40 PM
Bah! They want to release the playables for money?

This makes me laugh. They won't allow us to add our own playables? How will they prevent us?

I don't mean to insult anyone or anything like that, but I just find this funny.

goldorak
07-14-05, 02:54 PM
Bah! They want to release the playables for money?

This makes me laugh. They won't allow us to add our own playables? How will they prevent us?

I don't mean to insult anyone or anything like that, but I just find this funny.

Its not funny at all, this is the same kind of discussion going on the forums dedicated to Falcon4 Allied Force.
They (the legitimate owners of the game in question) can take whatever option is necessary to retain the integrity of the game.
Read the license, you can mod almost anything in dw except the dll.
Hack the dll and you are in for a pretty rough ride if you ask me.
Better to not cross this dangerous line.

Ps: Do you honestly think they will keep improving DW out of good will ?
Their business model is clear, put out DW which will act as a foundation to later platforms.
They get to develop new platforms and sell them, you as a client are entitled to buy or to not buy but you cant pretend to have everything for free at the expense of SCS.
If you don't agree, don't buy the future expansion packs.

mike_espo
07-14-05, 04:28 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I would be willing to pay for more drivable platforms.....Alfa, Foxtrot, Hotel ect :up:

As long as it is reasonable price. :hmm:

Kapitan
07-14-05, 04:32 PM
$5 a platform and id pay over that id call it extorsion

goldorak
07-14-05, 04:38 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I would be willing to pay for more drivable platforms.....Alfa, Foxtrot, Hotel ect :up:

I would buy new platforms, hope they develop first of all more surface ships and air assets.
We already have too many submarines.

goldorak
07-14-05, 04:45 PM
$5 a platform and id pay over that id call it extorsion

Oh please, and what more ?
This community (not all of it) has been absolutely spoiled by the scu mod for sc.
I'm seeing the same problems here as what is happening on the F4AF forums.
That community also comes from a similar experience, free mods including an fly all aircraft mod (albeit illegal) which took Falcon 4 to new heights.
Now that a legal company is resuming the project, they don't want the community to mod the exe file etc. because surprise surprise they want to be able to sell expansions packs of new airplanes to include in Falcon4 AF.

Just keep in mind that SCS will not allow modding/hacking of dll.
5$ for a new platform is laughable, not even payware mods cost so little, please look at the situation realistically.
A new platform (with its physics modelling etc...) would be absurd to cost the price of a full DW, but 30$ is acceptable.

TLAM Strike
07-14-05, 04:46 PM
Yes I think SCS should focus more on air and surface platforms, although some additional subs would be nice like the Trafalgar, Collins or Type 212 ETC to round out the Blue side's inventory (which is lacking in the sub department with only 2 vs. 6 and no non nucs).

I think,
Udaloy/Kirvak
Tu-142
Ka-28
NATO SSK
Would be reasonable at $5 a head with $5 or $10 for some behind the scenes stuff with the code and existing platforms. $30 +S&H I would pay. :yep:

Kapitan
07-14-05, 05:08 PM
oh please stuff that $30 a platform give over

the fs downloads are cheaper in fact they cost sqiddly dot (thats $0 to most people)

why cant we have the same ?

goldorak
07-14-05, 05:12 PM
oh please stuff that $30 a platform give over

the fs downloads are cheaper in fact they cost sqiddly dot (thats $0 to most people)

why cant we have the same ?

Because SCS wants to continue to develop for DW can't you understand this ?
If you don't want to pay for the add-ons its your choice, but if all the community thinks along the same lines as you then SCS have absolutely no incentive to continue supporting in future DW, nor will they create additional content for it.
Its as simple as that.

Kapitan
07-14-05, 05:14 PM
ahhh i see now i support add on packs but if they want to develope then shouldnt they go the same ways as the flight sims ?

PeriscopeDepth
07-14-05, 05:39 PM
ahhh i see now i support add on packs but if they want to develope then shouldnt they go the same ways as the flight sims ?

Flight sims sell more copies, thus not needing additional revenue through add on packs from the developer. In the case of MSFS, I'm guessing about several hundred thousand more copies than DW.

Egan
07-14-05, 05:53 PM
In terms of drivable platforms, it's one of the reasons I' ve yet to buy the game: It's not that I don't want to drive Surface ships or aircrafts it's just that I don't really want to drive American or Russian ones that much.

As much I always enjoyed the 688 in SC and would like to mess around with the OHP, I would much rather get a Traffie with British voices than more Russian or American stuff, as fun as they are.

I'm probably going to buy the game anyway but I would pay even more for a Royal Navy Add-On or, at a push, a cold war one....I really would. :)

Ula Jolly
07-14-05, 06:34 PM
Why can't there be third party addons? Microsoft FS runs mainly on freeware (and the shareware there is is also developed by third parties). Selling expansions pack would perhaps add much to the game, but it would be a solution for the "elite".

TLAM Strike
07-14-05, 06:43 PM
Beacuse you need access to the .DLLs to make "true" new playables and SCS keeps a lit on those beacuse its used in this military training programs.

Code from the DW OHP is going in to a ASTAC trainer for the USN IIRC.

Sea Demon
07-14-05, 09:20 PM

Permit Class SSN, Sturgeon SSN, USS Nautilus would make a nice expansion Cold-War pack. On the Soviet side Alfa, Victor II, Yankee.

Sea Demon

NefariousKoel
07-14-05, 11:33 PM
From my understanding, the DWX guys can make extra platforms but they can't be 'playables'. Just more targets, which is a good thing in any case.

mike_espo
07-15-05, 12:03 AM
Just finished reading K-19: the memoirs of Nikolai Zateyev. Great read. :up:

Would be nice to see some old cold war Soviet nukes Novembers, Hotels, with a probability of breakdowns and reactor accidents. :huh:

"Captain, the pressure in port reactor is dropping! Captain, the control rods won't engage, reactor is overheating!" :rotfl: :rotfl:

Kapitan
07-15-05, 01:21 AM
lol hmmmm what about some of those russian mini subs like the mir 1 and 2 you know the ones they used in the film titanic

older russian platforms november victor yankee hotel etc are good too oooo dont forget the alfa

on the american side thresher permit class and a few others

i realy think SCS aught to re think thier idea about playable platforms

mind you in saying that i probly have it wrong anyway :D

sonar732
07-15-05, 01:31 AM
If I remember right, there was an "expansion pact" topic a while back with everyones "wish list".

May, Helix, Krivak or Udaloy, Alfa, Victor II, Permit, and Collins or American SS...can't remember right now the name of last one.

Kapitan
07-15-05, 01:32 AM
if all them are there im on the que

Winston
07-15-05, 03:02 AM
For my part I’d love to see new drivable platforms. And I would be happy to pay for them. DW is one of the very few games I play these days so paying £15 to £20 and perhaps even more would be perfectly fine for me. I think that the idea of having optional ‘modular’ expansion packs that could be mixed and matched depending on what people want to drive would be good. For example there could be a British Royal Navy expansion whose drivable platforms might include a Trafalgar, Type 23 and a Merlin. Then you could have the Russian surface fleet pack perhaps including the Udaloy, Krivak (possibly Neustrashimy) and the helix. Hmm as you say, it's a bit of a wish list. Hell truth be told I'd be happy to buy anything that adds to this game.

I would also like to see a cold war expansion, would be a lot of work though given all the different platforms.

XabbaRus
07-15-05, 06:26 AM
Why can't there be third party addons? Microsoft FS runs mainly on freeware (and the shareware there is is also developed by third parties). Selling expansions pack would perhaps add much to the game, but it would be a solution for the "elite".

Have you seen the number of third party addons for FS which you have to pay for? Quite a few. If you want a collection of high fidelity models with all the bells and whistles you have to pay for it. I have seen just one extra aircraft be up for sale and not exactly at a low shareware price.

Also you have to look at how much money FS has made for Microsoft. Probably has paid for itself so MS aren't too bothered about any lost income due to allowing 3rd party modders to add new flyable aircraft. I bet some of the bigger third parties who release expansion packs have to pay some sort of fee to do it, at least to have official MS support and backup.

Like TLAM said DW is a spinoff in effect of SCS's military work with many of the dev tools and stuff paid for by the US govt. Ah American taxpayers have fianlly done me a favour ;)

So we can't get the dlls....

Ula Jolly
07-15-05, 08:02 AM

Have you seen the number of third party addons for FS which you have to pay for? Quite a few. If you want a collection of high fidelity models with all the bells and whistles you have to pay for it. I have seen just one extra aircraft be up for sale and not exactly at a low shareware price.

Also you have to look at how much money FS has made for Microsoft. Probably has paid for itself so MS aren't too bothered about any lost income due to allowing 3rd party modders to add new flyable aircraft. I bet some of the bigger third parties who release expansion packs have to pay some sort of fee to do it, at least to have official MS support and backup.

Like TLAM said DW is a spinoff in effect of SCS's military work with many of the dev tools and stuff paid for by the US govt. Ah American taxpayers have fianlly done me a favour ;)

So we can't get the dlls....

If I remember correctly from the days when I daily toured the Flightsim.com-libraries, the extreme lion's bite is free. It may be that the very best addons are for sale, but some of the very best are also freeware. Countless installed addons on my comp should witness that.
If the problem is a DLL, or more DLL files, could SCS "not simply just" (I have no idea about how great a problem this is...) make it so that the secret information is kept within some files, which will be no-touchies, while what is essential for third-part addons could be okay-touchies?
Well, it's probably not that easy. Nothing is ever as easy as I want it to be, but perhaps SCS could ask their military customers (whoever they signed the deal with that said "No one will be allowed to mess about with these files") if certain snippets from the files could be messed with?
I'm speaking about half metaphorically.

SquidB
07-15-05, 12:07 PM
I would pay £30 for an official expansion...I think that the obvious contents would be a russian ffg, helo and aircraft (bear).

What i think would be cool would be extra downloadable platforms. This has been happening sucessfully for MS flight sim for years.

A series of subs, ships and aircraft would be brilliant allowing those who wish to drive them the choice, as for the cost? well as long as it was comparable to the MS flight sim add ons id be happy.

TLAM Strike
07-15-05, 12:33 PM
American SS...can't remember right now the name of last one. Well the single ship of the Dolphin class is still in service but she is an AGSS with only one tube. The Barbel class (Barbel, Blueback, Bonefish) was the last combat SS.

If they do make a Cold War add-on (which I doubt) the Skipjack is a must since they were the most even when compared to Russian SSNs- Fast, Noisy, with big teeth.

Ula Jolly
07-15-05, 01:06 PM
I would pay £30 for an official expansion...I think that the obvious contents would be a russian ffg, helo and aircraft (bear).

What i think would be cool would be extra downloadable platforms. This has been happening sucessfully for MS flight sim for years.

A series of subs, ships and aircraft would be brilliant allowing those who wish to drive them the choice, as for the cost? well as long as it was comparable to the MS flight sim add ons id be happy.

I think the Il-38 May is a far better version to include, seeing as the Bear is a huge monster, and hard to handle. The transit from P-3 to Tu-145 would definitely not be smooth. The transit from P-3 to Il-38 might not either, but at least it wouldn't be that harsh!

NefariousKoel
07-15-05, 02:30 PM
There you go Sonalysts! A Cold War expansion sounds good.

Ula Jolly
07-15-05, 04:04 PM
There you go Sonalysts! A Cold War expansion sounds good.
But how would one separate the early and later era? By running up two different executables, by marking the names of the vessels with a particular prefix, or something else? Before a Cold War-expansion, I'd definitely like to see a Russia-expansion (with the Udaloy, Helix and May). A new campaign, with a new enemy. :arrgh!:

sonar732
07-15-05, 04:59 PM
The Barbel class (Barbel, Blueback, Bonefish) was the last combat SS.

If they do make a Cold War add-on (which I doubt) the Skipjack is a must since they were the most even when compared to Russian SSNs- Fast, Noisy, with big teeth.

I agree that the Skipjack would be a good addition to compete with the Foxtrots and Novembers. By the way, thanks for the Barbel reference!