PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get close enough to Moskva

PurpleCow
08-04-17, 09:57 AM
So I have played the single player game "Skirmish in the Denmark Straight" several times and have always lost. I find I cannot get close enough to the Moskva. I get in as close as I can but even at 5 knots the towed array sonar of the Moskva picks me up at around 12db.

When I reach the point where I think they have detected me I fire four torps (mk37) at the Moskva, but she turns tail and runs at high speed. The torps are just too slow to catch her.

Any suggestions? I have died 10 times so far.

Julhelm
08-04-17, 10:12 AM
You can try firing the Mk37's in passive mode at much longer range, say 10.000 yards out. Try and catch him in a sprint, when his sensors are at their least effective.

PurpleCow
08-04-17, 10:22 AM
You can try firing the Mk37's in passive mode at much longer range, say 10.000 yards out. Try and catch him in a sprint, when his sensors are at their least effective.

So when the Mk37's are first launched are they in passive mode? How fast do they travel in this mode? Can the enemy detect them easily?

PurpleCow
08-04-17, 10:27 AM
Can enemy ships detect my torpedo launch transits or can they only detect them when torps get into a certain range?

Capt Jack Harkness
08-04-17, 11:56 AM
So when the Mk37's are first launched are they in passive mode? How fast do they travel in this mode? Can the enemy detect them easily?
No, when launched they are not enabled and do not track targets. They travel at only 17 kts in this mode but are very stealthy. In game, at least, they're actually quieter than your boat.

Once the torpedo is enabled, either by getting to the end of its track or being enabled manually by pressing 4, it will speed up to 26 kts and start looking for targets with the specified seeker and in the specified pattern. At this point it's highly likely the enemy will detect the torpedo. Seeker mode can be changed from passive to active or vice versa at any time prior to launch or so long as the wire is connected by pressing the left most button of that tube or pressing 1.

Can enemy ships detect my torpedo launch transits or can they only detect them when torps get into a certain range?
The Mk 37 is undersized (only 19" diameter instead of the tube's 21") to allow it to swim out of the tube, no launch transient. All other torpedoes have a launch transient. These transients add something like 20 dB to your signature, so if you're far enough away the enemy may not hear them.