PDA

View Full Version : Cold Waters vs Dangerous Waters

PurpleCow
07-20-17, 07:00 PM
As someone who already owns Dangerous Waters (DW) on Steam I was wondering if it is was worth trying to get it up and running on Windows 10.

How do the sonar and sensor models compare between DW and Cold Waters (CW)? Are you going to get better real world modeling playing one over the other?

Surely the graphics are much better in Cold Waters but as far as gameplay goes do they compare well?

Julhelm
07-20-17, 07:04 PM
Completely different games. Cold Waters isn't meant to compete with DW or replace it. If DW is Falcon 4, CW is Novalogic's F-16 or Jetfighter.

Kazuaki Shimazaki II
07-21-17, 12:32 AM
Surely the graphics are much better in Cold Waters but as far as gameplay goes do they compare well?

I recently tried to repurchase DW ... unfortunately my Windows 10 computer proved to be one of those that WON'T run the game... anyway, I hadn't played DW for awhile but overall I find CW's gameplay to be a greater cognitive load. Definitely don't feel so comfortable just putting on that time compression.

kstanb
07-21-17, 01:51 PM
If you want to play each battle station, then DW is your game. CW is more simplistic, you take the role of the skipper your role is to get the big picture; there is very little in terms of battle stations operation

Also very important: Dangerous Waters doesn't have a dynamic campaign; it is mission based. In Cold Waters your encounters will be a lot more random

Nikita
07-21-17, 03:12 PM
My dream is a merge between DW and CW. I think the lack of a dynamic campaign in DW limits the sim. But may be in the future a modder will make the miracle, making CW dynamic campaing for DW or modeling crew stations in CW a la DW (may be this more difficult, but who knows?)

xXNightEagleXx
07-21-17, 05:24 PM
I recently tried to repurchase DW ... unfortunately my Windows 10 computer proved to be one of those that WON'T run the game... anyway, I hadn't played DW for awhile but overall I find CW's gameplay to be a greater cognitive load. Definitely don't feel so comfortable just putting on that time compression.

There is a file that can be found in this forum that allows to play DW with Windows 10

Shadow
07-21-17, 05:32 PM
Is a car better than a truck?

Same deal between Cold Waters and Dangerous Waters.

Capt Jack Harkness
07-23-17, 10:50 PM
Which one's the truck?

Skyhigh
07-24-17, 11:14 AM
Which one's the truck?

The one that carries more weight?
Both a car and a truck serve a different purpose, so it depends on who you ask what they prefer more ;)