PDA

View Full Version : Mk16 and the blue aiming circle....

suitednate
07-10-17, 06:59 PM
Even when an enemy ship is headed on a straight track and a 95% solution, the torpedo shots almost always seem to miss astern of the targeted ship, even when zooming close to the aiming circle and firing right on it. Anyone else having this issue?

Shadow
07-10-17, 07:07 PM
There's definitely something off with them. I've tried to use Mk 16s lately and they have been nigh-useless due to the funky aimpoint. Combined with the issue of passive torpedoes being detectable in the baffles, reducing the effectiveness of the already mediocre Mk 37, it makes warships in 1968 very difficult to engage.

As for the aimpoint problem, it might have something to do with odd gyro angles, but that sounds like a WW2 problem, not a Cold War one. You'd think a post-1950s computer would be able to calculate an accurate intercept for a straight-sailing ship regardless of the gyro angle.

I wonder if it's working as it should.

jenrick
07-10-17, 07:36 PM
Hmm I haven't had any issue with that in the '68 campaign, but that was in 1.03 and 1.04. I've busy playing with the more modern boats. In the earlier versions at least I always fired a 3 fish spread (4 if I really wanted to kill it), and usually got 1-2 hits. I don't recall one fish consistently being aft of the target.

One thing I suppose would be that even with a 95% solution, it's still just a best guess of the targets course, speed, and range. So being off is certainly a possibility in the real world. I usually shoot of either a visual sighting, or an active return. You might see if a visual shot against a tender or something with no sonar results in a dead on hit. I'll do some testing in '68 as well, see if something has changed.

-Jenrick

suitednate
07-10-17, 08:20 PM
Hmm I haven't had any issue with that in the '68 campaign, but that was in 1.03 and 1.04. I've busy playing with the more modern boats. In the earlier versions at least I always fired a 3 fish spread (4 if I really wanted to kill it), and usually got 1-2 hits. I don't recall one fish consistently being aft of the target.

One thing I suppose would be that even with a 95% solution, it's still just a best guess of the targets course, speed, and range. So being off is certainly a possibility in the real world. I usually shoot of either a visual sighting, or an active return. You might see if a visual shot against a tender or something with no sonar results in a dead on hit. I'll do some testing in '68 as well, see if something has changed.

-Jenrick

Happens with solutions based on periscope/visual data as well. That's how I typically get my solution for surface targets.

caine007
07-10-17, 08:28 PM
I haven't really had an issue with them... but I get really, really close with Mk 16's

I do know that if a launch is detected, every ship will increase speed which in the case of warships can be quite a big jump and cause a miss astern. Best to use WWII tactics and launch a spread.