PDA

View Full Version : Were are the submarines skins located?

oscar19681
06-11-17, 12:15 PM
I wanted to see if i could find the sub skins to see if i could mod it. But i cant seem to be able to find out where they are located.

Delgard
06-11-17, 04:50 PM
Pink maybe? Oh, that was WWII. :D

Jace11
06-11-17, 06:21 PM
They are in the unity assets bundles.

Unity asset bundle extractor works, or at least the version I have does. It's a little tricky to use, but you can export - then change - and re-import textures into the resources asset bundle.

Here's the skin for Tango class.

http://imgur.com/a/RyeZg

What I haven't been able to do yet is get textures to work in the override folder, so you are limited to a modded bundle which is pretty inconvenient for distributing any skins, and when patches arrive etc... till someone figures it out.

I might try something else, I may have got the directories wrong or messed up the file format/name etc when I tried the override folder.

zachanscom
06-11-17, 08:10 PM
jace, have what type of material textures doe the game use, is it just rgb normal maps and greyscale speculars or is it one of those combined maps?

Jace11
06-12-17, 03:47 AM
Separate diffuse, specular and normal.

Each of those also has an alpha channel too.

Format seems to be .dds DXT5 in the bundle, but I can only extract it as a .tga or .png cause of the extractor plugin.

MekStark
06-12-17, 01:55 PM
format is tga and png, usually tga being diffuse and normal or specular being in png, all with alpha ofc as for example specular has glossiness in png's alpha

zachanscom
06-12-17, 09:19 PM
thanks. i might like to increase specular contrast to give subs a wetter look

Waervyn
06-13-17, 06:22 AM
As a person new to modding, how do I know where each part of the texture file goes?

Let's say I would want to draw a name or smiley or whatever on the side of the sub. How do I know where on the PNG I should draw that?

Thanks!

PL_Harpoon
06-13-17, 06:44 AM
thanks. i might like to increase specular contrast to give subs a wetter look

Just keep in mind that they will be more glossy underwater too.

As a person new to modding, how do I know where each part of the texture file goes?

Let's say I would want to draw a name or smiley or whatever on the side of the sub. How do I know where on the PNG I should draw that?

Thanks!

I think you'll just have to guess. ;)

cookiemonste
06-14-17, 11:04 AM
A little inspiration for you modders:
https://bluejacket.com/usn/images/sp/ss/ssn614_greenling.jpg

cookiemonste
06-16-17, 07:02 PM
Random question, is it just me, or are some of the russian subs a bit too light?

Ruslan
08-09-17, 12:19 AM
Random question, is it just me, or are some of the russian subs a bit too light?

Totally agree with You,skins for Soviet submarines should be more darker. Many photos confirm this.:Kaleun_Salute:

Julhelm
08-09-17, 07:22 AM
It's an artistic choice in order to have the subs look more visually interesting than black featureless blobs.

Capt Jack Harkness
08-09-17, 11:44 AM
A little inspiration for you modders:
https://bluejacket.com/usn/images/sp/ss/ssn614_greenling.jpg

Nice! Good counterpoint to the Sierra's shark teeth.

Side note, all the subs in game have panel lines between hull segments, I get that this was probably done to add visual interest like with the coloring on Soviet boats but at least on the Los Angeles we should see the anechoic tiling rather than the panel lines instead of both like we currently have.

The Bandit
08-09-17, 11:57 AM
Nice! Good counterpoint to the Sierra's shark teeth.

Side note, all the subs in game have panel lines between hull segments, I get that this was probably done to add visual interest like with the coloring on Soviet boats but at least on the Los Angeles we should see the anechoic tiling rather than the panel lines instead of both like we currently have.

Depends on how you look at it. I think USS Batfish (Sturgeon class) trialed the tiles as early as 1980, but I don't think other boats had them until 85 or 86 and I don't think it was "standard equipment" until the VLS boats were completed in the same time-period.

Julhelm
08-09-17, 12:02 PM
688 already has the tiles. They are quite obvious when you look at it in the unit reference.

Capt Jack Harkness
08-09-17, 12:40 PM
Depends on how you look at it. I think USS Batfish (Sturgeon class) trialed the tiles as early as 1980, but I don't think other boats had them until 85 or 86 and I don't think it was "standard equipment" until the VLS boats were completed in the same time-period.
Oh, that's true, I have seen a couple early 688 photos that appeared to be bare steel hulls.

Regarding the Batfish, though, that's made me wonder if it would ever be possible to have individual boat variations like the longer hull, larger sail Permits or the twin screw Jack, or any of the other one-offs that would have been in service at the time. I guess the related question is whether they could be dropped in under the main class so that you pick Permit or Sturgeon and have the chance to get one of those boats with the luck of the draw.
688 already has the tiles. They are quite obvious when you look at it in the unit reference.
I know, I see them. All I was saying was that those tiles would cover any hull panel joins.

LTJGBeam
09-18-17, 03:38 PM
They are in the unity assets bundles.

Unity asset bundle extractor works, or at least the version I have does. It's a little tricky to use, but you can export - then change - and re-import textures into the resources asset bundle.

Here's the skin for Tango class.

http://imgur.com/a/RyeZg

What I haven't been able to do yet is get textures to work in the override folder, so you are limited to a modded bundle which is pretty inconvenient for distributing any skins, and when patches arrive etc... till someone figures it out.

I might try something else, I may have got the directories wrong or messed up the file format/name etc when I tried the override folder.

Now that 1.08 has fixed access to the textures, could you PM me on where I can buy the Unity Asset Bundle Extractor? What software would I need to purchase? I am interested in doing some custom textures for the various boats I served with. Especially now that the textures can simply be put in an override folder, instead of having to export/re-import.

Would like to see the format for the texture files to see if I can create my own. I know they have a particular format/layout to transfer from a 2D file to the correct area of the 3D models...

That is assuming Killerfish doesn't mind us doing this? Their input would be appreciated on this subject as well.

Thanks!

chillbro baggins
09-21-17, 03:17 PM
Would like to see the format for the texture files to see if I can create my own. I know they have a particular format/layout to transfer from a 2D file to the correct area of the 3D models...
Thanks!
Ditto, I wanna put sharkmouths on the bow and "nose art" on the sail of my boat.

Edit: I need this for the CW textures. (Minecraft used as an example because it's the easiest to find.)
https://i.imgur.com/uOs3gmW.png