PDA

View Full Version : Not getting credit for sunk ship-maybe saves corrupted

james_nix
05-31-15, 07:03 AM
Running TMO/OTC/RSRD I keep having a problem where I am not getting credit for ships sunk.

I've tried multiple careers and the same thing, I'll sink say ten, I can see it in my log, but when I got back to port, it will just say 4 or some number.

During patrol, I save every once in a while, so I deleted every save but the current one, the most recent one.

My log shows 10 ships sunk, in port it says 1! It only remembered the ships from the most recent save!

Weirder still, my first patrol was no problem, so I thought the bug went away, the second patrol the bug came back!

Any ideas? I'm so angry because I wiped out the convoy going to invade Wake Island. My first big accomplishment! :/\\!!

Torplexed
05-31-15, 08:15 AM
Any ideas? I'm so angry because I wiped out the convoy going to invade Wake Island. My first big accomplishment! :/\\!!

There's probably no correlation, but did Wake Island convert to Japanese control anyway?

SilentPrey
05-31-15, 10:40 AM
You're not overwriting saves, are you?

TorpX
05-31-15, 03:58 PM
When you are asking a question of this nature, you should start off by listing the EXACT mod loadout you are using. Just saying you are using TMO, OTC, and RSRD isn't sufficient because there are multiple versions of each, and there are many combinations possible. JSGME has a function which makes exporting/copying the mod list very easy.

Without this info, people can only make a wild guess as to what's wrong.

james_nix
05-31-15, 04:18 PM
When you are asking a question of this nature, you should start off by listing the EXACT mod loadout you are using. Just saying you are using TMO, OTC, and RSRD isn't sufficient because there are multiple versions of each, and there are many combinations possible. JSGME has a function which makes exporting/copying the mod list very easy.

Without this info, people can only make a wild guess as to what's wrong.

Good idea!

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS]

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Stock Environment_v3_TMO&RFB
Nav Map Make-Over v2.1
TMO19_interior3d_GATO_overhaul
TMO19_interior3d_PORPOISE_overhaul
TMO19_interior3d_SALMON_overhaul
TMO19_interior3d_SCLASS_overhaul
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC for 8 to 5 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
SH4 Authentic Flags Mod
Snarf_WoodModel
SMALLER SEA PLANTS SMALL
SMALLER SEABED ROCKS
RUIM v1.0 for SH4v1.5
Aircraft_reflections
better rock and sand
Bigger Better Protractors
Easier AI for TMO 2.5 by Orpheus
Eye Patch for TMO v1.7
Hires_lightmaps
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Aleutian_Patrols
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)
strategic_map_symbols
Webster's Missing Voices for v1.4 & v1.5
Gato 2 narwhal deck guns
speech_overhaul
LST_TMO_v2
MaxOptics IV for TMO_2

I wonder if Longer Sink Times is somehow stealing my kills by turning torpedo hits into natural flooding sinking? So the game thinks nature did it instead of me? I'll try it when I go home, it's just had to do a full patrol during the work week.

TorpX
05-31-15, 05:10 PM
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Silent Hunters

I have never used Steam, so maybe someone who does can advise you, but it is usually not a good idea to install the game in the 'Program Files (x86)' folder.

james_nix
06-01-15, 12:35 AM
There's probably no correlation, but did Wake Island convert to Japanese control anyway?

Yes, and I felt really bad about it. 4,000 US POWs! Well, I took out two aircraft carriers and two cruisers, so maybe that bought some time for some of our boys to get out safely.

torpedobait
06-03-15, 08:01 AM
My setup is not Steam, is not installed in the default folder, and has been stable for quite some time now. I find the same problem with saved games. If I have racked up significant tonnage and have to leave for say, domestic-related reasons dictated by the household Admiral, I find that saving the game (not as an overlay of a previous save) will usually cost me all that tonnage. I only get credit for tonnage sunk after the saved game is reloaded. I don't think the problem is related to the hardware or source of software. It may be a TMO or RSRD issue, but I have not done any research. I have learned to NOT save when I have a significant kill. Instead I will hit ESC and then ALT/TAB out if I am ordered to leave. When I go back it does not seem to have any adverse effect, including the runaway CO2 issue encountered when using ALT/TAB straight from a running game. Perhaps this added info will help someone more knowledgeable than I to propose a solution other than my work-around. :salute:

TorpX
06-03-15, 11:56 PM
The problem of not getting credit for sinkings sounds like it is either related to Steam, or to the Windows OS blocking info that is in the save. I'm talking about the UAC and folder permissions stuff.

It is unlikely that it is a TMO or RSRDC issue, since these mods are very popular and have been around a long time.

Crannogman
06-04-15, 12:08 AM
Having committed the Trifecta of Sin by using Steam, using the Programs folder, and over-writing old saves, I have never had this particular problem.

james_nix
06-04-15, 02:59 AM
My setup is not Steam, is not installed in the default folder, and has been stable for quite some time now. I find the same problem with saved games. If I have racked up significant tonnage and have to leave for say, domestic-related reasons dictated by the household Admiral, I find that saving the game (not as an overlay of a previous save) will usually cost me all that tonnage. I only get credit for tonnage sunk after the saved game is reloaded. I don't think the problem is related to the hardware or source of software. It may be a TMO or RSRD issue, but I have not done any research. I have learned to NOT save when I have a significant kill. Instead I will hit ESC and then ALT/TAB out if I am ordered to leave. When I go back it does not seem to have any adverse effect, including the runaway CO2 issue encountered when using ALT/TAB straight from a running game. Perhaps this added info will help someone more knowledgeable than I to propose a solution other than my work-around. :salute:

Actually, that was my plan b, to just esc and alt-tab and leave the game running in the background forever.

I'm going to try the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod instead of RSRD and see if that does anything.

james_nix
06-05-15, 08:14 AM
Actually, that was my plan b, to just esc and alt-tab and leave the game running in the background forever.

I'm going to try the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod instead of RSRD and see if that does anything.

Just an update, using Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod instead of RSRD it seems that problem has gone away, so it looks like RSRD was the culprit.

Now, how to fix it?

aanker
06-05-15, 11:26 AM
I like the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod a lot. All of the Special Missions were built to model the actual missions that were conducted in WW II.... no more trips to Hiroshima etc.

RSRD does not work because both campaigns use some of the same files, especially the Flotillas & Career Start upc files. Think of them as two different campaigns.

The Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod adds some traffic, changes all of the Objectives from Stock, plus every patrol is selected using Kim's TBox.

Happy Hunting!

torpedobait
06-08-15, 07:08 AM
I like the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod a lot. All of the Special Missions were built to model the actual missions that were conducted in WW II.... no more trips to Hiroshima etc.

Where would one find this mod? I searched the Subsim downloads, including the Legacy files, and did not find it. Thanks.

james_nix
06-08-15, 07:30 AM
Where would one find this mod? I searched the Subsim downloads, including the Legacy files, and did not find it. Thanks.

It's on another site: http://www.subsowespac.org/silent-hunter-4-mods.shtml

Sailor Steve
06-08-15, 08:04 AM
Thanks for that link. I've never heard of this mod and it looks great. :sunny:

aanker
06-08-15, 11:22 AM
It is from a mod that we used for the Pacific Thunder Campaign.

Kim's tool was used to select the missions, specific boat, and date, plus realism etc. It still can be used, or the Spyron mod will handle the Spyron campaign by itself too if you want.

Happy Hunting!

james_nix
06-09-15, 03:48 AM
Of mother of pearl, now Spyron mod is doing it too. :/\\!!

I guess the only thing to try is to move my install out of steam, which i was dreading because it is so big with all the mods, but i am running out of options.

EDIT: Reinstalling on another drive, but since saves are save in my documents I'm not sure how moving it out of the program files x86 is going to help. Oh well, I'll try anything once.

torpedobait
06-09-15, 07:54 AM
It's on another site: http://www.subsowespac.org/silent-hunter-4-mods.shtml

Thanks so much! I'll check it out. :salute:

aanker
06-09-15, 12:04 PM
Can you copy the entire SH4 install from the Steam install folder once it is upgraded to 1.4 or 1.5, move that copy to a folder off the C:\ Drive like "Sub Games", then use Multi SH4 on the copy and start the game with SH4.exe in the copy?

Just like GU.exe, on a DVD install, maybe Steam tries to correct and update files when it loads. I always change the shortcut to sh4.exe.

I know nothing about Steam other than I'm glad I didn't use it. Sorry you're having problems with Steam and Spyron.

james_nix
06-17-15, 04:07 AM
Welp, I did a clean install on another drive. It's still a steam directory, but not program files (x86). Still only remembering just the ships from a previous save.

I'm just going to have to keep SHIV always open, and just minimized when I am not playing. The bad part about that is that my deck crew will still on deck even when underwater because of the alt tab bug. :hmph:

aanker
06-17-15, 02:24 PM
Welp, I did a clean install on another drive. It's still a steam directory, but not program files (x86). Still only remembering just the ships from a previous save.

I'm just going to have to keep SHIV always open, and just minimized when I am not playing. The bad part about that is that my deck crew will still on deck even when underwater because of the alt tab bug. :hmph:
Once the Steam version updates to 1.5 from 1.3 (which I heard the steam version is initially) can you copy the entire 1.5 install folder to a second location off the root of the C:\ drive into a folder like, Sub_Games?

I do it in two steps. First I copy the Data folder, next I copy the remaining files and folders.

Like this:
C:\Wherever it is now\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific

Copy to:
C:\Sub_Games\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific

Make a shortcut from sh4.exe to the desktop from this 2nd install location and see if SH4 starts. (after re-booting) If it does, and if it is the 1.5 U Boat Missions, maybe you can mod this 'new' 2nd install that may not be linked to Steam?

james_nix
06-22-15, 04:43 PM
I wonder if steam isn't the problem but MY Documents folder, where the saved games are?

On the plus side, since I never save until I end the patrol, it changes my game play to be more exciting. No do overs! I have to live with all of my mistakes.

aanker
06-22-15, 05:54 PM
...... No do overs! I have to live with all of my mistakes.
Yes, "dead is dead". I've played that way since I was sunk in shallow water by an aircraft in SHCE (SH1) off the coast of S. Japan.

Steam (I think) has Silent Hunter somewhere in its file structure. I don't have Steam.

I wonder if Steam uses sh4.exe? If you search your computer for sh4.exe, that is where Steam put it. Another file would be, Sh4MissionEditor.exe

You would copy the folder with sh4.exe plus the other files, and the Data folder in it, to where you plan to put the copy.

james_nix
06-25-15, 04:47 PM

I'm still trying to beat this bug, it make the game unplayable. I tried alt-tabbing when I am not playing, but SH4 crashed because I was doing something else on my computer. Sometimes it's not practical to keep it running all the time.

I sank5 ships, saved, reloaded and it was down to 2. Did it again and it was down to 1! The log shows my ships, it's the part where you exit and see that screen that shows patrol status and ships sunk right before it closes.

Could you post you mod list? I'll compare it to mine and maybe we can see a common variable.

TorpX
06-26-15, 01:49 AM
Could you post you mod list? I'll compare it to mine and maybe we can see a common variable.

You're barking up the wrong tree. Game data being saved (or not) has nothing to do with your mods. Games are saved the same way whatever mods you use.

I think you would be better off considering matters related to Steam, your OS, your computer's specs, your documents folder, etc.

james_nix
06-26-15, 03:52 AM
So I ran Kim Ronhof's Silent Hunter 4 Patrol Report Generator (version 5102) and Silent Hunter 4 Tools (Tbox)(version 2.0) and it dug into my saves and displayed this:

The following ships/aircraft have been destroyed
Number of Warships sunk : 1
Number of Merchants sunk : 4

Total Warship tonnage : 4079
Total Merchant tonnage : 18867

Total Gross tonnage : 22946
Total JANAC tonnage : 22946

281936 DEC 1941
Ship sunk! Kasagisan Maru 281ft / 85.8m , 2430 ton
Long 131° 32' E, Lat 31° 24' N

032141 JAN 1942
Ship sunk! Nagara Maru 445ft / 135.6m , 7166 ton
Long 126° 54' E, Lat 31° 58' N

060210 JAN 1942
Ship sunk! Zinbu Maru 396ft / 120.7m, 5235 ton
Long 125° 19' E, Lat 30° 29' N

081855 JAN 1942
Ship sunk! Akita Maru 337ft / 102.7m , 4036 ton
Long 127° 05' E, Lat 31° 32' N

082045 JAN 1942
Ship sunk! Momoyama Maru 382ft / 116.3m, 4079 ton
Long 127° 07' E, Lat 31° 44' N

So they are there, they just aren't showing up when I end a patrol or exit the game. What files would affect that?

Maybe it's time to try out Witcher 3. Or Fallout 4 is coming out soon.

CapnScurvy
06-26-15, 06:37 AM
Maybe it's time to try out Witcher 3. Or Fallout 4 is coming out soon.

Of course you can.......OR, don't buy the crap from STEAM. Instead, purchase a new disk version of Silent Hunter Gold Edition from a more reputable site like iNetVideo (http://www.inetvideo.com/products/silent-hunter-iv-wolves-of-the-pacific-gold-edition-pc) for 14.99, less shipping.

You'll have to clean out the junk STEAM has done to your computer.....but taking a bath every once in a while is a good thing.

=============

And by the way.......never ALT/TAB out of the game!! Show me in the SH4 manual where it states you can do this!?!

It doesn't...........So, don't do it

james_nix
06-26-15, 11:26 PM
Of course you can.......OR, don't buy the crap from STEAM. Instead, purchase a new disk version of Silent Hunter Gold Edition from a more reputable site like iNetVideo (http://www.inetvideo.com/products/silent-hunter-iv-wolves-of-the-pacific-gold-edition-pc) for 14.99, less shipping.

You'll have to clean out the junk STEAM has done to your computer.....but taking a bath every once in a while is a good thing.

=============

And by the way.......never ALT/TAB out of the game!! Show me in the SH4 manual where it states you can do this!?!

It doesn't...........So, don't do it

Actually I ordered the cd from Amazon a couple of weeks ago, but I live in Korea and the military mail is wonky. Sometimes you will get a package in two weeks, or sometimes two months!

It's weird how some people who have the steam version have no problems. but I guess there are a lot of different variables.

I'll try downing the U-Play version from Green Man Gaming while I am waiting for the physical disk to arrive.

torpedobait
06-28-15, 07:50 AM
I loaded v1.5 that I obtained from the CD, not Steam. I have the same issue with losing credit after reloading a save. I have always suspected it was something in TMO, but have absolutely no evidence to support that. It's just a gut feel, so its not very helpful here, other than I do not believe Steam or any of its components is at fault.

Logically speaking, if the report shows the software has captured and retained the correct tonnage and number of kills, but not all credit from previous activity prior to a Save action shows up on the final mission statistics, then there is obviously a flaw in the software that is not dependent on the hardware, OS, or technique.

And you can safely ALT/TAB out of the game without losing anything (including hitting the notorious CO problem) if you first hit the ESC key to get to the menu. I do it every day with no negative impact save one, that being that Silent Running is no longer set in some instances. That one is a mystery, but is overcome by simply saving and reloading. My two cents worth... :salute::salute:

torpedobait
06-29-15, 08:43 AM
I'm still trying to beat this bug, it make the game unplayable. I tried alt-tabbing when I am not playing, but SH4 crashed because I was doing something else on my computer. Sometimes it's not practical to keep it running all the time.

I sank5 ships, saved, reloaded and it was down to 2. Did it again and it was down to 1! The log shows my ships, it's the part where you exit and see that screen that shows patrol status and ships sunk right before it closes.

Mods in the order applied under JSGME for SH4: 1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2.5; 1_TMO_25_small_patch; RSRDC_TMO_v502; RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1; RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start; Pre-PH Mod Patch; 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502; 1.5_OTC for 8.5 to 4.8 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502; 1.5_OTC_US Radar from Start for RSRDCv502; Easier AI for TMO 2.5 by Orpheus; Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC; EAXsoundsim_without_WebstersManeuver_TMO19; Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC; Fixed_CD_sonar_RSRDC: IJN_Radar_Fix_for_TMO2_Easier_AI; LST_TMO_v2; ParaB's fewer radio contacts; Rescue Sub v1.0; Sonar TargetFix2_TMO; Submarine Hull Numbers; TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4; TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disurbance_v2_0_sh4' TMO Smoke Mod; UStorp125plus125; TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC; Stop The Shouting; Improved Stock Environment_v3_TMO&RFB.

It's a big list, but they seem to work for me. As you can tell, I am not into absolute realism (I use 64%), but I'm here to have fun. I've been through SH, SH2, SH3 (with GWX, a favorite), and SH4. Have never played SH5. I hate most forms of math, so I do not use realistic targeting. I will gradually increase the difficulty to eliminate map contacts and maybe a few others, but don't want to make it so hard it kills the enjoyment. I feel that putting all the work of multiple crewmembers onto the Captain is just too much work for me, so I let many automatic functions apply. Hope this helps resolve the problem of saves vs. credits. Thanks. :salute: