PDA

View Full Version : Defeating the Kilo/USET-80 combination

Stewy1
05-10-15, 05:28 AM
G'day guys - I'm sure this has been covered before.

Just wondering if you had any tips on defeating the Kilos.

I'm getting better at finding them (2 knots creep in seems to work) - but when I launch Mk 48s, he responds with USET-80 torps...

The RA database says these torpedos are impossible to evade (wake homing) - so I was wondering if you had any tips?

I guess the simple answer is to get as close as possible before firing (so that he doesn't get the chance to fire)...but that'd be white-knuckle stuff in a Western SSN...

Any other ideas?

Cheers
Stew

FPSchazly
05-10-15, 11:19 AM
In real life, wake homing shouldn't really be a thing underwater. Wake-homing torps are designed for surface ships. I'm not sure if the game distinguishes between that.

Anyway, you should be able to outrun that torp. What is the max range? 10 or 11 nautical miles? If you're 4 nautical miles away from the Kilo, you shouldn't have a problem running from that bad boy.

My formula for determining minimum safe distance to outrun a torpedo:

Assumptions:
-You're facing directly away from the torpedo and running at flank at the time of enemy torpedo launch.
-Torpedo is launched directly down your bearing and at full speed
-Torpedo immediately acquires you and doesn't do any snaking
-Ranges are in nautical miles, speeds are in knots (this would work for kilometers and kilometers per hour or miles and miles per hour, any distance with a corresponding speed unit)

Minimum safe distance = Range of enemy torpedo - (Range of enemy torpedo/speed of enemy torpedo) * (speed of your vessel)

Add 0.5 or 1.0 nm for some safety factor.

I'm going to make a thread (maybe a video, also) explaining this more thoroughly soon.

Stewy1
05-11-15, 03:41 AM
I'm going to make a thread (maybe a video, also) explaining this more thoroughly soon.

Thanks Chazly - I'm looking forward to it!

All of your tutorials are great!
Cheers

banryu79
05-11-15, 08:16 AM
@Stewy1 - I don't know for RA, but if one use the LWAMI mod wakehomers should not be a threat to another submarine. Directly from the manual:

· Passive torpedo seeker performance has been improved, but not to the point that they were at in stock DW. They are now very effective against surface ships—especially combined with the stealth and range benefits of being run slower. Submarines are generally not at risk unless they are very noisy.

Red_88
05-13-15, 09:46 AM
The USET-80 actually is a Multipurpose Torpedo with Active/Passive and Wakehoming search. It is no miracle this thing is hitting you. IMO you should not go so close to the kilo,
as a kilo driver I can assure you that at close range the Kilo is really deadly. Read FPSchazly post, he already explained how close you can safely get. The Actual Range for the USET-80 in RA-MOD is 9.7nmi max, however be warned that russian Kilos are armed with SS-N 15 subrocs with a max range at 19nmi.

jadervason
05-15-15, 03:29 PM
I thought the Subroc would have a more complex range. Missile range, then subsequent torpedo range.

Red_88
05-15-15, 04:19 PM
@jadervason, yes you are right, but in DWX the AI will engage only when target is within missle range. However the Starfish is not the biggest concern, the kilo is hard to detect in a 688, when detecting it, it mostly happen to be already close, so USETs and Shkvalls are actually the biggest concern.