PDA

View Full Version : get sh5.exe genericpatcher to work with steam.

sirrawrsalot
07-21-14, 05:51 PM
Hi :)

First off, I'm new to these forums so I'm really sorry if I'm being redundant with this information.

I'm really sleepy after a day of work and I just wanted to write down the steps, but I thought that perhaps somebody would like to try this already so instead of cleaning up the steps and keeping the steps for myself another couple of days I'll just publish this rough draft and let you guys have any eventual laughs due to my mistakes. ;) I will try to clean it up by tomorrow evening or so.

I do appreciate that this is not fun for anybody, so please only do this if you know what you're doing until enough people can confirm that this actually works or if I'm all wrong and making a fool out of myself.
This is kind of like a science experiment, I have results I want you guys to try to reproduce. Thank you for helping me out:

Go download "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu.exe" from:
http://www.4players.de/4players.php/download_start/Downloads/Download/55318.html

Download & Install: http://legroom.net/scripts/download.php?file=uniextract161

Right click on the "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu.exe" you downloaded in step 1. choose "UniExtract to Subdir", choose "isxunpack extraction" under "Extract Method".

Step 3 should have resulted in a folder called "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu"

Next get your paws on "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer"

Start program and go to File => Open => "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu\Disk1\data1.hdr"

View => Components

Click on "Game" and then "Files", find sh5.exe in the list.
save it on your desktop.

Start up Steam, right click on "Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic" => Properties => local files => Browse Local files.

Find the sh5.exe file in the list and rename it to sh5_steam.exe.

Go to your desktop and rename the sh5.exe file which you extracted from the ubisoft patches cab file to sh5_patched.exe and copy it into your silent hunter 5 folder where the sh5_steam.exe you renamed file resides.

Copy the sh5_patched.exe file so you have 2 of them, and rename one of them sh5.exe

Tadaa

Now you should be able to run the genericpatcher and update your sh5.exe file and when you launch it from steam it wont make a difference since steam is actually only launching uplay, and uplay does not seem to care if you're running a modded file or not.

Im assuming its legal because we are just getting the patch ubi made, so we are not cracking anything. It might go against steams EULA though... but then again I'm not so sure about where things stand in regards to the legality of modifying binary files on a whole. anyway hydrophone works, yay.

edit:
https://twitter.com/steam_support/status/113010796128243712
https://twitter.com/deadislandgame/status/112296399760142336

...seems like we should be safe.

When things go wrong
If you get an error when trying to run "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer", please try downloading whatever file its saying that you're missing from here:
Example: http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomctl.cab
Then extract the cab file and copy the file into your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 [windows 7] or c:\Windows\System32 folder, [for older versions of windows]

Start your terminal (run => cmd.exe) and type
cd<push spacebar>C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or c:\Windows\System32<push Enter key>
The prompt should change to: C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or c:\Windows\System32
Then type:
regsvr32<push spacebar>mscomctl.ocx <push Enter key>

Oh right, so the reason I wanted you to make a backup of the sh5.exe file is two fold, one is so that you can go back to the steam version if you think my idea is stupid. second, sometimes steam will overwrite your .exe file, its not happened to me yet, but i know that if you run "validate my files" it will see that you have modified your file and assume it is broken because its not the same size it knows it should be and overwrite it. So you should be covered in both cases.

Silent Steel
07-22-14, 03:00 AM

First off, I'm new to these forums so I'm really sorry if I'm being redundant with this information.

This is kind of like a science experiment...

Sure is :o
If this works it's epic.
I don't run Steam myself but there are many other Kaleuns around that would love this.

Im assuming its legal because we are just getting the patch ubi made, so we are not cracking anything. It might go against steams EULA though... but then again I'm not so sure about where things stand in regards to the legality of modifying binary files on a whole. anyway hydrophone works, yay.
[/I]

I do hope it is but as you say - nothing is being cracked.

sirrawrsalot
07-22-14, 07:03 AM
Sure is :o
If this works it's epic.
I don't run Steam myself but there are many other Kaleuns around that would love this.

I do hope it is but as you say - nothing is being cracked.

:) I hope somebody gets use of it, I have been playing it for a couple of days now and it seems to work fine.

Also read some threads on the steam forums, and steam seem to be fine with people modding games as long as you dont modify online games and grief, which is not at all what we are doing.

Silent Steel
07-23-14, 12:29 PM
:) I hope somebody gets use of it, I have been playing it for a couple of days now and it seems to work fine.

Also read some threads on the steam forums, and steam seem to be fine with people modding games as long as you dont modify online games and grief, which is not at all what we are doing.

I'm impressed.
Try to get this 'Steam method' as a sticky. Contact Neal Stevens.

Keep up the good work. :up:

THEBERBSTER
07-28-14, 06:31 PM
Hi sirrawrsalot

I will this to my

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804)

Added to my Tutorial Post #125

Peter

Balu0
08-18-14, 07:25 AM
Nice! I was looking for something like this. I bougth the steam version a few days ago and was banging my head to teh wall because i could not use the patcher.

I will try this as soon as I get home from work and tell you the resoults.

even if it wont work THANK YOU FOR THE EFFORT! :arrgh!:

Balu0
08-18-14, 01:26 PM
Works Like a Charm ! :up:

TheDarkWraith
08-18-14, 10:18 PM
Sounds like I need to automate this process into the Generic Patcher :hmmm: Can someone send me their steam version of the sh5.exe? I need to read it's signature in order to automate this.

Balu0
08-19-14, 07:05 AM
Sounds like I need to automate this process into the Generic Patcher :hmmm: Can someone send me their steam version of the sh5.exe? I need to read it's signature in order to automate this.

I can help you with that, drop my a private where where should I send it.

THEBERBSTER
08-19-14, 08:55 AM
I am not a Steam user but this will be great news for those who are and will have something exciting to look forward to.

Peter

gap
08-19-14, 04:24 PM
Interestig thread. :up:

A while back I had discovered with the help of a subsim mate who owns the steam varsion of the game, that replacing the Steam executable with the regular one, was enough to get the generic pather to work, while retaining intact game functionalities (including copy protection and tonnage awarding). I couldn't make the discovery fully public, as this method would have involved the sharing of SH5.exe by a private user, and I wasn't sure that Ubisoft would have considered it a legitimate method.
Apllying to the official patch, wich was made freely available by Ubisoft itself, the legitimacy of the new method suggested by the OP should definitely be out of question, though its application might be out of the reach of computer iliterates.
Automating the process into the generic patcher would be, no doubt, a further step forward. Nonetheless, I think that an unpacked version of the patch 1.12 is already available on the web. While TDW is working on his automated steam patcher, maybe some Steam user could try and replace his exe with the one of the unpacked patch. :hmm2:

TheDarkWraith
08-20-14, 12:06 AM
I figured out how to have my app extract everything from the v1.2 exe patch for the game. This extraction yields the InstallShield setup.exe and supporting files in the folder Disk1. Since I now had access to the InstallShield files I could 'see' what they were doing (or not doing in this case!). The files showed that the installer for v1.2 is NOT checking to see if the Silent Hunter 5 folder already exists nor is it checking to see if any of the files it needs to update exist. All it cares about is whether or not the required registry entries exist. Excellent, lets exploit this vulnerability!!

Now I did the below on my computer and everything worked just like I thought it would so it should work flawlessly on those with Steam installations also.

This is for those who have the Steam version of the game!

Find your \Silent Hunter 5 folder and move it to your desktop and rename it 'Silent Hunter 5 save' (cut it so it no longer exists at it's current location but rather on your desktop). Make a copy of steam's sh5.exe and name it sh5-steam.exe. Run the official v1.2 patch from Ubicrap saying yes you want to install even though you are already at v1.2. If everything goes to plan then another Silent Hunter 5 folder should've been created where your old one existed. In there you'll find the non-steam sh5.exe :D Copy the non-steam sh5.exe to your 'Silent Hunter 5 save' folder on your desktop. Make a copy of this new sh5.exe and name it sh5-ubi.exe. Delete the new Silent Hunter 5 folder that was created by the official 1.2 patch. Copy the 'Silent Hunter 5 save' folder to where the new Silent Hunter 5 folder was and rename it back to 'Silent Hunter 5'. Run the Generic Patcher and see if you can patch the sh5.exe.

If this all works then I will have the app automate everything so you simply click one button and it does everything for you :yeah:

Balu0
08-25-14, 01:53 PM
Got one, Thx

---------------
OK my only problem left is that the uplay config still starts steam when I hit play because it is still configured that way.

There is a file here:
Ubisoft Game Launcher\cache\configuration\configurations

Yyou can open it with notepad.

Anyone not steam user would be kind enough to copy paste here the the SH 5 part so I can paste it in my config? It might work.

ty

Dragonlord47
09-25-14, 04:26 AM
Well I was going to give this a try because I have the steam version and really want the Generic Patcher. However, Ubisoft does not download or install the v1.2 patch onto steam. Steam downloads the patch. I tried the way TheDarkWraith said to do it and ubisoft just starts up steam then steam says the folder isn't available (because its been moved to desktop)

So then I tried it the way sirrawrsalot said to do it and I can not find

Any where. not as a free download or as a purchase software. I find help me files every where but nothing linking to where I can download for free or purchase. Nothing. What sucks is all I need is that SH5.exe v1.2 and I am pretty sure it would work.

I have another game through steam that required me to do that (just change the Steams .exe with the non steam .exe and steam still saw the game and ran. Is there an easier way to get the one file that I need to test this.

Any help would be great and thanks everyone for spending so much time getting a broken game to work so great.

Echolot
09-25-14, 05:00 AM
Hello Dragonlord47.

Check your pm box, please.

:salute:

Dragonlord47
09-26-14, 02:25 PM
As a Steam owner and player I can confirm that this idea works. I have been playing all day with only one CTD. And that was my fault.

Thanks to everyone who is still working on making this game work better then what ubicrap made.

Also thanks to Echolot who pointed me in the right direction to get what I needed so I could test this.

I'm off my crew is well rested and ready to sink something.

Firebiro
10-02-14, 05:14 AM
Hey guys, which solution is working? Also is the Generic Patcher TDW mentions the JSGME?

Just a little confused, Thanks a million for all the great work btw, brilliant stuff

Firebiro
10-03-14, 07:42 AM
I think I'm just going to abandon my steam version and pick up a physical one, its causing me far too much hassle!

dhatfiel
10-07-14, 06:06 PM
First post, thanks to all for the brilliant work here guys. After playing vanilla I got frustrated again with the bugs, unrealistic mechanics and poor mission design. My personal worst bugbear is the ship damage mechanics which totally break immersion.

I have my shiny Sober's in hand, then I notice only compatible with patched and I'm a steamer - holed in the hold.

Unfortunately, I could not register mscomctl.ocx (DllRegisterServer failed), so I can't unpack the Installshield cab. The 1.02 patcher detects a version conflict, so no luck there either.

Would someone be kind enough to send an exec my way?

Echolot
10-07-14, 07:37 PM
Willkommen, dhatfiel. (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=331875)

:Kaleun_Cheers:

Please check your pm box.

dhatfiel
10-07-14, 09:28 PM
Dankeschön, patched successfully and confirmed working. :up:

It would be great to have this wrapped in the patcher!

PS: Not to take away from an amazing piece of work: could we have a noob mode for the patcher that activates all of Sjizzle's recommendations per http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205620, or another noob friendly author recommended loadout without the extensive clicking. For example, I decided not to disable battery charging when surfacing but I don't know if this will break something else.

PPS: Could we have the patcher search in the first selected directory for the files to patch, because when your directory is D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 5\ and there are 282 items in D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\, it's fairly intensive to click to this for each of the files to be patched. An address bar would also be great for copy-paste.

je2000
10-14-14, 10:35 AM
THANK YOU!

Though I'm having trouble finding this install shield file on the web somewhere.

TDW's method seems to make sense but from what I gather from the thread, UBI won't install back into the steam/common directory. So back to the drawing board for the automated process?

Seems the OP's method works, just confused on this install shield file.

EDIT: Nevermind, my google-fu needed some coffee this morning. Trying out this method now...

jibouil
10-15-14, 02:16 AM
patched successfully and confirmed working. :salute:

Arrowhead2k1
10-25-14, 01:20 PM
Good work! Finally got me to buy SH5, and it is only $10 on Steam. Cheers!

Arrowhead2k1
10-25-14, 06:58 PM
I can't get "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer" to work either. I was wondering if someone could help me out? :hmmm:

Echolot
10-25-14, 07:35 PM
Hi.

I can't get "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer" to work either. I was wondering if someone could help me out?

:Kaleun_Salute:

Arrowhead2k1
10-25-14, 08:01 PM
Thanks a lot. I actually got the viewer running myself at the exact same time too. ;)

Bad Fairy
11-01-14, 06:41 PM
Massive thanks!

Decided to go and buy the game because of this work (loved SH2/3 but had shied away from 5 due to its rep for needing modding) + the prospect of Sobers mod soup of loveliness :)

Unfortunately - same issue as DragonLord - my googlefu is weak as I have only found some slightly dodgy looking forum links to the Cab/Hdr file viewer...

Anyone got a link?

Echolot
11-02-14, 09:55 AM
same issue as DragonLord

Welcome to Subsim forum.

Chaoic16
11-16-14, 12:01 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to find InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer and is unable to fin d it. Can any of you help me with InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer issues so I can finally take next steps working with my steam version of Sh5 for generic patcher.

Thanks!

Echolot
11-16-14, 04:17 AM
Oops, sorry. Please delete me.

Echolot
11-16-14, 04:21 AM
Hello chaoic16.

Silent Steel
11-20-14, 10:36 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to find InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer and is unable to fin d it. Can any of you help me with InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer issues so I can finally take next steps working with my steam version of Sh5 for generic patcher.

Thanks!

Ahoy Chaoic16 :salute:

Maybe this is what you're looking for:

http://installshield-cabinet-file-viewer4.software.informer.com/14.0/

Chaoic16
11-20-14, 07:14 PM
To everyone who helped me,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help, I truly appreciate it! Now I can use generic patcher in steam version of SH5!

:up::salute::ping:

Silent Steel
11-21-14, 10:52 AM
Great!!

And - we should always remember sirrawrsalot, who found out how to get the steam version running.

Truly epic! :salute:

Neal - promote this guy.

WW3D
12-06-14, 09:42 PM
Could some kind soul please PM me the InstallShield Cabinet File Viewer as well? I am not able to find anything that looks very trustworthy for DL in my searches.

TIA! :yeah:

Silent Steel
12-07-14, 07:59 AM
Could some kind soul please PM me the InstallShield Cabinet File Viewer as well? I am not able to find anything that looks very trustworthy for DL in my searches.

TIA! :yeah:

Check your PM

And - welcome to the best community on the net :salute:

WW3D
12-07-14, 01:18 PM
Check your PM

And - welcome to the best community on the net :salute:

Thank you kind sir and to Echolot as well for your quick replies and for the welcome! I can already tell you guys have a great thing going here with this community. :salute:

Is there a thread that might enlighten me on which SH5 purchase option is the best between Steam, Download, DVD?

I would prefer to play of course without the need for disc in drive or DRM if possible. And the other consideration is the ease of modding. If DVD is best option which version (Gold or Standard?). I really appreciate any insight(s) you can offer. :ping:

Aktungbby
12-07-14, 01:35 PM
WW3D! :Kaleun_Salute:

WW3D
12-07-14, 02:40 PM
WW3D! :Kaleun_Salute:
Aktungbby! :salute:

Silent Steel
12-08-14, 01:20 AM
Thank you kind sir and to Echolot as well for your quick replies and for the welcome! I can already tell you guys have a great thing going here with this community. :salute:

Is there a thread that might enlighten me on which SH5 purchase option is the best between Steam, Download, DVD?

I would prefer to play of course without the need for disc in drive or DRM if possible. And the other consideration is the ease of modding. If DVD is best option which version (Gold or Standard?). I really appreciate any insight(s) you can offer. :ping:

I'd recommend the CD :up:

Jimbuna
12-08-14, 07:06 AM
Welcome to SubSim WW3D :sunny:

ReallyDedPoet
12-08-14, 08:46 AM
Welcome WW3D :sunny:

WW3D
12-08-14, 12:00 PM

OK thanks Silent. I've been leaning towards that option myself, as it is always nice to have a physical copy for your money. Steam is fine for most games in my experience, but there are certain games I've had issues with in the past. Mainly as it relates to patching and/or modding.

At this point in time is there any real DRM difference between Steam, DVD, and Download versions of SH5?

It is my understanding that uPlay is only required for MP. Is that correct? Is uPlay implementation the same in all 3 versions of the game?

Sorry for all the questions guys. :salute:

WW3D
12-08-14, 12:07 PM
Welcome to SubSim WW3D :sunny:
Thanks Jimbuna! :ahoy::salute:

Echolot
12-08-14, 12:09 PM

:up:

is there any real DRM difference between Steam, DVD, and Download versions of SH5?

No. If you buy the steam version, you have double DRM, steam and uplay :down:

It is my understanding that uPlay is only required for MP. Is that correct? You need uplay more for single player campaign to progress but sometimes it seems to not work properly. If you use vpn like tunngle for multiplayer you need no uplay. There are options in TDW Generic Patcher to disable uplay :huh::88)

WW3D
12-08-14, 12:10 PM
Welcome WW3D :sunny:

Thank you RDP! :salute:

WW3D
12-08-14, 04:36 PM

No. If you buy the steam version, you have double DRM, steam and uplay :down:

You need uplay more for single player campaign to progress but sometimes it seems to not work properly. If you use vpn like tunngle for multiplayer you need no uplay. There are options in TDW Generic Patcher to disable uplay :huh::88)

Perfect, thanks again Echolot! That's exactly the info I was looking for. OK so I just placed my order for SH5 PC DVD from a seller on Amazon. Reasonably priced at $3.99, but $8.88 with shipping. :rotfl2:

Now the hard part is waiting for this bug ridden game to show up on my doorstep! Hurry up! :rock:

Sounds like SH5 can be pretty nice though once the best mods and fixes are applied. I'm mainly looking to see some of the better graphics over SH3 and SH4 which I've already played a lot over the years. Well thought this might compliment them anyway. :yep:

Thanks again for your input guys! I'll let you know how it goes once she arrives and I can begin the lengthy installation process I've been reading about. :up:

bowfin
12-28-14, 01:41 PM
Dam I just uninstalled my steam version and bought it again through Uplay. Now I have two copies in Uplay. I wish I had found this thread ten minutes ago.

Shmal_
01-27-15, 04:14 PM
So, these all are great! But some complicated!
Explain me please, why i cant to get sh5.exe of DVD version and replace steam's sh5.exe ? And no more?
Will the game and generic patcher work properly? Or STEAM makes changes in SH5.exe every time while launching?
And guys, please, give me the link for an InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer?

CaptainHawkeye
02-10-15, 12:42 AM
Hello mates, Looking for an exe for patcher usage.

Aktungbby
02-10-15, 01:19 AM
CaptainHawkeye! :Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna
02-10-15, 07:57 AM
Welcome Aboard Hawkeye :sunny:

THEBERBSTER
02-10-15, 10:56 AM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > CaptainHawkeye :subsim:

You Will Always Find Someone Here To Help You :sunny:

Links To My > SH3 – SH4 – SH5 > Posts :up:

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It. :salute:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804)

Some Special And Useful Download Links For SH3 <> SH4 <> SH5 :yep:

New To Silent Hunter Then My Thread Will Help Get You Started. :ping:

Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community :yeah:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2033119%23post2033119 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2033119%23post2033119)

Having Tonnage Bar Problems Then Go To My Tutorial Post #188 On Page 13 :salute:

scott_b
02-19-15, 05:37 PM
hello all,

can anyone point me towards the InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer? i am thinking of diving into SH5.

thanks!

eagleFMJ
02-22-15, 01:54 AM
hello all,

can anyone point me towards the InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer? i am thinking of diving into SH5.

thanks!

I used the zippyshare link from here http://forum.exetools.com/showpost.php?p=84367&postcount=3

Low and Slow
03-14-15, 10:15 PM
Hi all! Long time SH user but my first post here. I started with SH and went up to SH4 unmodded, I held off on 5 for a while but a sale on steam..well I got it. I only have steam because of Cliffs of Dover. So now I'm following sirrawrsalot's list to make it um..non steam I guess but I can't find this installshield cabinet thing. The zippyshare file link didn't work, It wanted to install some browser add ons..I think not. Anyone have a link to a real program I can use to get this going? Or is it better to dump it off steam and get the CD?
Thanks and Bravo Zulu on the mods, I hope I can get them running soon!

Aktungbby
03-14-15, 10:39 PM
Low and Slow!:Kaleun_Salute:

THEBERBSTER
03-15-15, 03:25 AM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Low and Slow :subsim:

Hyperlinked Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It > SH5 <>SH4 <>SH3 :salute:

Download Links Are also Included For > SH5 <> SH4 <> SH3 :yep:

New To Silent Hunter Then My Thread Will Help To Get You Started. :ping:

Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community :yeah:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2033119%23post2033119 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2033119%23post2033119)

Having Tonnage Bar Problems Then Go To My Tutorial Post #188 :/\\!!

Jimbuna
03-15-15, 06:50 AM
Welcome :sunny:

subgatto
03-15-15, 11:40 AM
Mhh I'm confused, i'm at point:

what does it means?

I tried to download and install the patch1.2 but it says me I've no sh5 installed ( because moved it to the desktop? )

any ideas?

And... is there a way to have 2 version of sh5 installed in the same pc, one modded with wolves of steel and one stock?

Silent Steel
03-17-15, 02:53 PM
I guess but I can't find this installshield cabinet thing...
...It wanted to install some browser add ons...

Or is it better to dump it off steam and get the CD.
Not necessarily but it could be easier :hmmm:

Please PM me and we'll sort it.

fenris84
03-24-15, 05:53 AM
Hello,
been trying for days now with that cabinet file viewer but just keep getting an "error creating mediabuild object".
I am really frustrated right now so this is my last try. Maybe someone can help me to solve this problem or just send me a non steam sh5.exe.

eka
03-30-15, 01:32 PM
Just a simple question:

if I bought the steam version (it will be listed also in UPLAY menu) then I delete it, also from UPLAY (uninstall menu)
I use ccleaner to cancel all registry entry.
Then I go in UPLAY again: the game is still in my games but NOT installed, I install it from UPLAYU (not from Steam) and I will launch the game from Uplay all time.
Do you think it could work (I mean, is it a "normal" version, no more steam version)?

THEBERBSTER
04-03-15, 06:42 PM
Hi eka

No, Uplay checks that your game is honest and not a pirate.

Uplay only starts your game from wherever it came from. steam, download, dvd install.

Peter

Alexsej
04-05-15, 12:02 PM
I stuck and can't get "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer" to work.
Could anyone help me?
Is there non-steam SH5.exe to download?

THEBERBSTER
04-05-15, 12:09 PM
Hi Alexsej

Check this out.

A Message From TheDarkWraith For Those Who Have The Steam Version Of the Game (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2234906&postcount=12)

Peter

Alexsej
04-05-15, 12:50 PM
Hi Alexsej

Check this out.

A Message From TheDarkWraith For Those Who Have The Steam Version Of the Game (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2234906&postcount=12)

Peter

I did everything in that post. When I start Silent hunter 1.02 patch I get this error message: "The setup has detected that no version of silent hunter 5 is installed!"

What now?

Ares36D
04-06-15, 10:07 AM
Hey guys I have had SH5 for a year now and JUST discovered it can be modded but like a lot of others, I have the steam crap. I don't trust any links for this install shield viewer, can you guys point me in the right direction please?

Sbrooke311
04-10-15, 10:24 AM
Edit:
Friend got it working for me it seems. Disregard this post. The original directions worked wonders.

Jax von May
04-15-15, 08:35 AM

Ya, sure. Good luck with that.

JvM

I'm really sleepy after a day of work and I just wanted to write down the steps, but I thought that perhaps somebody would like to try this already so instead of cleaning up the steps and keeping the steps for myself another couple of days I'll just publish this rough draft and let you guys have any eventual laughs due to my mistakes. ;) I will try to clean it up by tomorrow evening or so.

I do appreciate that this is not fun for anybody, so please only do this if you know what you're doing until enough people can confirm that this actually works or if I'm all wrong and making a fool out of myself.
This is kind of like a science experiment, I have results I want you guys to try to reproduce. Thank you for helping me out:

Go download "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu.exe" from:
http://www.4players.de/4players.php/download_start/Downloads/Download/55318.html

Download & Install: http://legroom.net/scripts/download.php?file=uniextract161

Right click on the "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu.exe" you downloaded in step 1. choose "UniExtract to Subdir", choose "isxunpack extraction" under "Extract Method".

Step 3 should have resulted in a folder called "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu"

Start program and go to File => Open => "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu\Disk1\data1.hdr"

View => Components

Click on "Game" and then "Files", find sh5.exe in the list.
save it on your desktop.

Start up Steam, right click on "Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic" => Properties => local files => Browse Local files.

Find the sh5.exe file in the list and rename it to sh5_steam.exe.

Go to your desktop and rename the sh5.exe file which you extracted from the ubisoft patches cab file to sh5_patched.exe and copy it into your silent hunter 5 folder where the sh5_steam.exe you renamed file resides.

Copy the sh5_patched.exe file so you have 2 of them, and rename one of them sh5.exe

Tadaa

Now you should be able to run the genericpatcher and update your sh5.exe file and when you launch it from steam it wont make a difference since steam is actually only launching uplay, and uplay does not seem to care if you're running a modded file or not.

edit:
https://twitter.com/steam_support/status/113010796128243712
https://twitter.com/deadislandgame/status/112296399760142336

...seems like we should be safe.

When things go wrong
If you get an error when trying to run "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer", please try downloading whatever file its saying that you're missing from here:
Example: http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomctl.cab
Then extract the cab file and copy the file into your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 [windows 7] or c:\Windows\System32 folder, [for older versions of windows]

Start your terminal (run => cmd.exe) and type
cd<push spacebar>C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or c:\Windows\System32<push Enter key>
The prompt should change to: C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or c:\Windows\System32
Then type:
regsvr32<push spacebar>mscomctl.ocx <push Enter key>

Oh right, so the reason I wanted you to make a backup of the sh5.exe file is two fold, one is so that you can go back to the steam version if you think my idea is stupid. second, sometimes steam will overwrite your .exe file, its not happened to me yet, but i know that if you run "validate my files" it will see that you have modified your file and assume it is broken because its not the same size it knows it should be and overwrite it. So you should be covered in both cases.

InTheNavy
05-12-15, 08:48 PM
Hello everyone. I recently purchased the Steam version and have been outfitting my game with some mods. I would really like to get this fix going but I can't seem to get the Installshield Cabinet File Viewer working, even after troubleshooting. I would greatly appreciate it if I could get the non-steam exe.

Sorry this has to be my first post.

Aktungbby
05-12-15, 08:50 PM
InTheNavy!:Kaleun_Salute:

THEBERBSTER
05-13-15, 04:53 AM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > InTheNavy :subsim:
New To Silent Hunter <> Need Help <> Click On My Thread Link. :salute:
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2033119%23post2033119) :yeah:
Tonnage Bar Fix Here > Tutorial Post #188 Not Needed If Using TWOS & sobers Latest Mods List :/\\!! (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2284492&postcount=188)
Post #24 Shaefer’s Season 2 Let's Play Silent Hunter 5 YouTube Videos :up: (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2185189&postcount=24)

mobucks
05-13-15, 05:39 AM
I did everything in that post. When I start Silent hunter 1.02 patch I get this error message: "The setup has detected that no version of silent hunter 5 is installed!"

What now?

Perhaps you needed to start the game one time (in it's initial install path/state) in order for the relevant registry changes to take place?

Jimbuna
05-13-15, 06:13 AM
Perhaps you needed to start the game one time (in it's initial install path/state) in order for the relevant registry changes to take place?

Quite possibly :yep:

Welcome to SubSim :sunny:

InTheNavy
05-13-15, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. :Kaleun_Salute:

I think I managed to get this fix working after obtaining a non-Steam copy. However I have some questions. How exactly do I know if it is working properly? I'm very new to this series, so that's why I ask. I noticed I can adjust the hydrophone now with my mouse and I don't think I could before. I can give the sonar man some commands, but some are greyed out still. Does he have to find a ship first? After hours of sailing I didn't find anything.

I'm using TDW's fix in addition to this mod here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=208473.

Also, my radar does not work underwater? Forgive me for not being an experienced seaman, but I didn't think by submerging that all of my radar options would go away. Because I am new I am not entirely sure what is broken in this game and what is not.

skankis
05-26-15, 02:37 AM
Hello everyone.
Has there been any new methods someone has found for steam users wanting to use the patcher? I as well am having trouble with finding the "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer"

Thanks for any help you all can give.

THEBERBSTER
05-26-15, 04:45 AM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > skankis :subsim:
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2033119%23post2033119) :yeah:
Tonnage Bar Fix Here > Tutorial Post #188 Not Needed If Using TWOS & sobers Latest Mods List :/\\!! (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2284492&postcount=188)
Post #24 Shaefer’s Season 2 Let's Play Silent Hunter 5 YouTube Videos (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2185189&postcount=24) :ping:

Have you checked this out?

Aktungbby
05-26-15, 09:45 AM
skankis!:Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna
05-26-15, 11:06 AM
Welcome to SubSim :sunny:

kevinsue
05-26-15, 06:48 PM
Hello everyone.
Has there been any new methods someone has found for steam users wanting to use the patcher? I as well am having trouble with finding the "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer"

Thanks for any help you all can give.

For those people looking for a valid link to "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer"

Password: Dreamer

http://www15.zippyshare.com/d/43291614/57131/icfv.rar

kevinsue
05-26-15, 07:28 PM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > skankis :subsim:
Post #24 Shaefer’s Season 2 Let's Play Silent Hunter 5 YouTube Videos (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2185189&postcount=24) :ping:

Have you checked this out?

[/URL]

G'day THEBERBSTER,
I see a lot of posts from Steam users trying to find "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer" and being run around in circles without success. Would it be possible to add this link to your Tutorials thread so that it's not continually lost.:06:

The downloaded icfv_3.rar package requires a password to extract which is "Dreamer".

For those people looking for a valid link to "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer"

[url]http://www15.zippyshare.com/d/43291614/57131/icfv.rar (http://www.subsim.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/)

Password: Dreamer

THEBERBSTER
05-27-15, 06:00 AM
Hi Kevin

I have taken the full Tutorial from Post #1 and included your Post #83 and put it all in to my Tutorial Post #161

I have also taken the Download Link from your Post #83 and added it to my Download Links section.

I could never understand why sirrawrsalot did not include the full tutorial instructions.

Peter

kevinsue
05-27-15, 06:27 AM
Hi Kevin

I have taken the full Tutorial from Post #1 and included your Post #83 and put it all in to my Tutorial Post #161

I have also taken the Download Link from your Post #83 and added it to my Download Links section.

I could never understand why sirrawrsalot did not include the full tutorial instructions.

Peter

Thanks for that :up: hopefully less Steam users getting frustrated!

artbysmiley
11-04-15, 01:58 AM
Has anyone figured out how to extract the sh5.exe from the 1.2 patch without using the cabinet file viewer (cfv). I downloaded the cfv on the link provided in this thread but can't get it to run.

If it is as simple as replacing the steam sh5.exe with the DVD sh5.exe why can't someone just upload the sh5.exe from their DVD installation or for that file to be included in the generic patcher? Or would that be a TOS violation?

Aktungbby
11-04-15, 09:15 AM
artbysmiley!:Kaleun_Salute:I'm jealous...you have hair to pull out!:O:

artbysmiley
11-04-15, 11:21 AM
artbysmiley!:Kaleun_Salute:I'm jealous...you have hair to pull out!:O:

Not going to have any left after this lol. Just going to have to cave and buy the dvd version from amazon.ca for 11 bucks plus shipping. Although I hate paying for the same thing twice

Aktungbby
11-04-15, 11:25 AM
Rgr that! hang tough! plenty of help comin' your way dealing with steam issues. I own the DVD version but do not have it reloaded presently.

THEBERBSTER
11-04-15, 12:36 PM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > artbysmiley:subsim:
New To Silent Hunter <> Need Help <> Click On My Thread Link.:salute:
Treat Yourself To The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod <> SH5 The Dawn Of A New Beginning :salute::salute::salute: (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2165720&postcount=1)
The Wolves Of Steel > Adds The Missing Target Identify Icon Back > Wind & Smoke addon Mod:salute::salute::salute: (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=4703)
The Wolves Of Steel Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) & Game Tips (Look Here First Before Posting A Question):salute::salute::salute:
Post #24 Shaefer’s Season 2 Let's Play Silent Hunter 5 YouTube Videos:ping: (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2185189&postcount=24)
Silent Hunter III from 2005 bring your game play to 2015 with the (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220285)
LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod:) (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220285)

Dvd > good move, money well spent:up:

Jimbuna
11-05-15, 08:51 AM

arnesw
11-05-15, 03:30 PM
Has anyone figured out how to extract the sh5.exe from the 1.2 patch without using the cabinet file viewer (cfv). I downloaded the cfv on the link provided in this thread but can't get it to run.

If it is as simple as replacing the steam sh5.exe with the DVD sh5.exe why can't someone just upload the sh5.exe from their DVD installation or for that file to be included in the generic patcher? Or would that be a TOS violation?

I got it to work with the CFV, and patched my Steam-game yesterday. Worked like a charm! You need to follow the doc to the letter.

Getting the CFV to work is really the hardest part of this. In my case, I had to download two files from Microsoft. It is documented in THEBERBSTER's Tutorial Post #161 where you download the files, and how to make them work. The error message from the CFV will tell you which file(s) you're missing.

What I did, that is not mentioned in the tutorial, is that I ran my zip-tools and the cmd-line as administrator (right click-> run as administrator). Since you're dealing with system files, I figured it would be less hassle this way.

I'm running Windows 10.

THEBERBSTER
11-05-15, 04:08 PM
Hi arnesw

I have added your post link to my tutorial post #161.
Good information is always useful to share.

Peter

artbysmiley
11-05-15, 08:00 PM
I got it to work with the CFV, and patched my Steam-game yesterday. Worked like a charm! You need to follow the doc to the letter.

Getting the CFV to work is really the hardest part of this. In my case, I had to download two files from Microsoft. It is documented in THEBERBSTER's Tutorial Post #161 where you download the files, and how to make them work. The error message from the CFV will tell you which file(s) you're missing.

What I did, that is not mentioned in the tutorial, is that I ran my zip-tools and the cmd-line as administrator (right click-> run as administrator). Since you're dealing with system files, I figured it would be less hassle this way.

I'm running Windows 10.

Oh haha I guess I should have read the entire instructions first before attempting this because you are right. I do get the missing file errors as outlined at the very bottom of the instructions. I will download those missing files and try again. Thank you. That's reassuring cause I'm running windows 10 as well.

I've got CFV working. Thanks. I discovered that the two missing files that give the errors when trying to run icvf are actually included with the icfv download. So I just moved them to my syswow64 folder followed the cmd prompt instruction in the original post. And you are right I had to run the cmd line as administrator in order to get that to work properly. Now I have a dvd version sh5.exe 1.2 in my steam folder. Haven't tried installing the genericpatcher yet but it is looking promising.

Furir Löfvall
12-12-15, 12:21 PM
I've got CFV working. Thanks. I discovered that the two missing files that give the errors when trying to run icvf are actually included with the icfv download. So I just moved them to my syswow64 folder followed the cmd prompt instruction in the original post. And you are right I had to run the cmd line as administrator in order to get that to work properly. Now I have a dvd version sh5.exe 1.2 in my steam folder. Haven't tried installing the genericpatcher yet but it is looking promising.
How exactly did you manage this? I've tried with a couple of different links to the CFV, all found here on the forums, but none of them contain the missing files I appear to need. Could you please provide links to the files/CFV you used that worked for you

Aktungbby
12-12-15, 03:33 PM
Furir Löfvall! :Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna
12-13-15, 09:30 AM
Welcome to SubSim Furir :sunny:

WilhelmWulf
01-01-16, 09:04 PM
Hi, I've been having some issues with the InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer, it refuses to run saying that mscomctl.ocx is missing, and I can't find it anywhere. I went to Microsoft, and the download that they directed me to didn't actually have the file. I can't seem to find the file anywhere, at least, not anywhere that I trust to download it from. Does just having a non-steam .exe work? Is there a way I can just get that?

kazhiryu187
01-18-16, 02:51 PM
Can't get a working copy of installshield cabinet file viewer. the link in one of the replys worked but the link for the missing file doesn't so i'm stuck and ready to give up at this point.

THEBERBSTER
01-18-16, 07:51 PM
It works here in my tutorial.
Post #161 TDW’s Generic File Patcher Steam Installation Instructions By sirrawsrsalot (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2266214&postcount=161)

Peter

kazhiryu187
01-21-16, 08:50 PM
It works!! :up: thanks, THEBERBSTER!

Furir Löfvall
01-26-16, 01:29 PM
It works here in my tutorial.
Post #161 TDW’s Generic File Patcher Steam Installation Instructions By sirrawsrsalot (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2266214&postcount=161)

Peter
It doesn't work for me. I'm still missing that mscomctl.ocx file which means I can't even install the program. From what I've read that asset is simply not used anymore on new computers or rather computers with a newer OS. Other suggestions for fixes?

The Mad Asshatter
02-19-16, 12:41 PM
May I also have the missing files to get this fix to work? Seems like the files are only being PMed.

THEBERBSTER
02-19-16, 06:48 PM
The missing mscomctl.ocx file can be downloaded from the link below.
http://www.ocxdump.com/download-ocx-files_new.php/ocxfiles/M/MSCOMCTL.OCX/6.01.9782/download.html
Peter

kiinteistoesijoitus
05-02-16, 09:12 AM

Find your \Silent Hunter 5 folder and move it to your desktop and rename it 'Silent Hunter 5 save' (cut it so it no longer exists at it's current location but rather on your desktop). Make a copy of steam's sh5.exe and name it sh5-steam.exe. Run the official v1.2 patch from Ubicrap saying yes you want to install even though you are already at v1.2
I'm completely puzzled meanwhile, I've read 100s of threads :). I'm having SH5 Steam und silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu.exe - What you wrote seemed like the best solution. So I renamed the SH5 folder in Steam Dir... but the UBI installer says: "This patch cannot be installed with the current game version".

Do all mods (I want to install Wolves of Steel) rely on exe patching? Or can some only be applied by copy over \data folder? E.g. Open Horizons?

Aktungbby
05-02-16, 09:41 AM
kiinteistoesijoitus!:Kaleun_Salute:

THEBERBSTER
05-02-16, 09:55 AM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > kiinteistoesijoitus
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2033119%23post2033119)
If you are new to SH5 look > > HERE (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2391239&postcount=1) <<
Highly Recommended SH5 > The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2165720&postcount=1)
The Wolves Of Steel Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) & Game Tips (Please Look Here First Before Posting A Question) (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2165721&postcount=2) (Do not post your problems here if you have added additional mods to TWOS make a new thread)

The JSGME application uses a Mods folder where the mods are placed.
When JSGME is opened these are then shown disabled.
With TWOS this is already done for you in the download.
When you open the JSGME application the mods are already in place showing disabled for you to choose the ones you want or need to use in your game.
The instructions on how to install TWOS is in Post #1

GFP stand alone instructions.
Post # 2 Installing TDW's Generic File Patcher (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2182954&postcount=2)

kiinteistoesijoitus
05-02-16, 11:27 AM
Thanks for your friendly words!
InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer is not working on Win7, "missing mscomctl.ocx", http://www.ocxdump.com/download-ocx-files_new.php/ocxfiles/M/MSCOMCTL.OCX/6.01.9782/download.html into the same directory does not help. Registering the ocx with regsvr32 not possible.
So the process fails at that point here.

EDIT: I solved the cabfileviewer part by using an XP virtual machine which I often use. Now I have a non Steam sh5.exe which I will backup a thousand times :). And will go on with the process...

Jimbuna
05-02-16, 11:52 AM

kiinteistoesijoitus
05-02-16, 12:04 PM
OMG, so much work, but I did it step by step for Wolves of Steel and it works now after the clickfest. Will backup copy the whole Steam SH5 and SH5 Documents folder now! Is it correct, Wolves of Steel shows up as "Open Horizons" in the main menu?
BTW I have it on an SSD and load times (campaign start) are ridiculous, like 2 minutes or so... Is this normal for SH5?

THEBERBSTER
05-02-16, 01:46 PM
hi k
I solved the cabfileviewer part by using an XP virtual machine which I often use. Would you like to share what you did so other Steam users can benefit.
Peter

kiinteistoesijoitus
05-02-16, 02:22 PM
Would you like to share what you did so other Steam users can benefit.
I usually share information, but this will not help here: I used a virtual machine, i.e. a Windows XP emulation, so basically it is the same as using an XP computer for doing the cabfileviewer part and then copying the resulting sh5.exe over to the Win7 machine. Unfortunately I did not find another cab file extractor which works here with this data1.cab and windows 7. 7zip doesnt, expand (windows command) doesn't...

THEBERBSTER
05-02-16, 06:04 PM
Hi k
So are you saying that this does not work?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/b527nf6771b2u4j/InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer.rar
Peter

kiinteistoesijoitus
05-02-16, 10:09 PM
The Cabinet file viewer does not start on Windows 7 and complains about a missing mscomctl.ocx.
Someone linked an ocx source (http://www.ocxdump.com/download-ocx-files_new.php/ocxfiles/M/MSCOMCTL.OCX/6.01.9782/download.html), but if you put the ocx in the cab file viewer folder, the viewer still complains. So at that point we cannot get the sh5.exe. ocx from source of unknown trustworthyness is,,, a bad idea anyway.
For the cabinet file in question, I searched and did not yet find an easy to use cabfile extractor. Windows command "extract" does not work, 7zip doesnt, I tried an online service as well...

What an effort... Ppl just need the original UBIsoft sh5.exe, thats all... I remember in case of X3 (space sim) Egosoft company was friendly and uploaded a non-steam exe.

Andyx86
05-30-16, 03:00 PM
Hi,

It was a great post! I´m going through it but I cannot find the InstallShield Cab File Viewer in no ways on the web - it looks like a real rare good out there!

Can anyone help me?:06:

Thanks!

Andyx86

THEBERBSTER
05-30-16, 05:14 PM
A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > Andyx86
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2033119%23post2033119)
If you are new to SH5 look > > HERE (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2391239&postcount=1) <<

Go to item 5

Jimbuna
05-31-16, 07:22 AM
Welcome to SubSim Andy :salute:

Benzin1973
06-13-16, 04:39 AM
Man! i cant thank you enough for this.
I was just about to uninstall SH5 for ever. Now im gonna give it a final try, hoping that once patched it becomes at least playable.

Thanks!

tat501
06-30-16, 06:11 PM
Hi Guys,

Berbster - fantastic and clear instructions. Thanks very much. I just did all this however and its looking good - until the save game loads up. Instant CTD.

Do I have to start a new campaign?

Do I have to re-install Wolves of Steel?

Hmm...edit.

Just started a new campaign. Instant CTD also.

THEBERBSTER
06-30-16, 06:29 PM
Hi tat
Do I have to start a new campaign?
Do I have to re-install Wolves of Steel?No, if you are asking these 2 questions because of the ctd.

until the save game loads up. Instant CTDWhat saved game are you referring to?
Do you mean the saved game in the bunker before starting the Baltic Operation?

I assume that you followed the TWOS installation instructions correctly including updating your game to v1.2?

Will one of the single missions load without a ctd?
Peter

tat501
06-30-16, 06:38 PM
Hi tat
No, if you are asking these 2 questions because of the ctd.

What saved game are you referring to?
Do you mean the saved game in the bunker before starting the Baltic Operation?

I assume that you followed the TWOS installation instructions correctly including updating your game to v1.2?

Will one of the single missions load without a ctd?
Peter

I installed TWOS with real navigation yesterday - played it (with Steam version) for a while (Baltic mission). Sank the two Polish destroyers and was just waiting outside Danzig. Went for my dinner, saved game etc.

Come back to play a bit later and foolishly thought "Oh I'll install TDW's patcher seen as its working with Steam anyway". Obviously a mistake. Once I patched it with this I got a CTD at 19:00 hrs on Sept 1 1939. I figured my mistake was using the patcher with the steam game. So I look around, find this thread and your instructions here. I did what you asked to the letter and got the game fired up - launched from the new copy in my directory (right click launch as administrator). Steam doesn't load up so I know I'm doing it right. I click "continue campaign". It doesn't load. Get a CTD as soon as the loading screen finishes and the black screen comes on just before you get loaded into the game.

I will try single missions and report back.

Failing that, will re-install TWOS again from scratch.

Edit;

Ok - so tried a single mission. That too crashed as soon as it loaded. I will uninstall my TWOS mods and load the stock patched 1.2 game now.

Further Edit;

Uninstalled all mods. Still crashed. Now I think it may be that the sh5.exe I patched originally was the Steam version - I'll do the patcher process again but this time use the directory as the desktop where I've got the sh5.patched.exe saved (after downloading it from the cabinet file viewer).

Further edit still;

So uninstalled all mods - patched. CTD on loading a saved game or starting a new one. Installed mod then patched game. Same result. Seems like I've broken my game now....

Full uninstall and re-install is on the cards.

Edit (again).

Ok so I'm re-installing from Steam. This will take a while so I'm going to go to sleep as it's nearly 2am here. I will then copy out the sh5.exe file from the cabinet viewer, copy it, rename it and add it to the steam sh5 folder whilst renaming the sh5.exe file there? So far so good right? I then patch the game using the generic patcher - the root file is program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\silenthunter 5 right? Not the usual one "ubisoft data" if you don't have steam version. After patching - I then install TWOS? I then play. Hopefully it works....

tat501
07-01-16, 08:14 AM
No I'm still having a CTD at 19:00 hrs game time. Something must be scripted at that point in the game that causes it to crash. Either with the patcher or the mod.

Disabled all the patches and it still happens so I think its TWOS causing it....

THEBERBSTER
07-01-16, 02:01 PM
Hi tat
One important thing to remember is not to make a game save closer than 60km to any destroyed marks or near any port.
Peter

vdr1981
07-01-16, 02:30 PM
Hi tat
One important thing to remember is not to make a game save closer than 60km to any destroyed marks or near any port.
Peter
Not entirely true but it's always good idea to have some previous "clean" gamesave. Check this post too...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2393872&postcount=4618

tat501
07-02-16, 03:57 AM
Thanks guys. With your help I have managed to get it pretty stable now. I have at least a three save game rotation going so I have a back up pretty close at hand. I know the game does some funny stuff if you're not in good deep ocean water but at the beginning of the campaign in Danzig bay its a bit difficult!

It seemed to be my radio mods causing the problem. I must have messed up the .ini file. I'd like to have a go and get it going again but I'm actually just enjoying playing for a change.

Only ctd I had so far was on a torpedo impact (was a beautiful shot as well - with my electric torpedo!) - so I lowered particle density etc and it hasn't happened again since.

Outeniqua
08-22-16, 02:28 PM
EDIT: I solved the cabfileviewer part by using an XP virtual machine which I often use. Now I have a non Steam sh5.exe which I will backup a thousand times :). And will go on with the process...

Kindest thanks to you, for recommending a VM running XP, to run the extraction successfully! You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Aktungbby
08-22-16, 02:41 PM
Outeniqua!:salute: after a very long silent run!

Greendevil303
10-10-16, 06:48 PM
I figured out how to have my app extract everything from the v1.2 exe patch for the game. This extraction yields the InstallShield setup.exe and supporting files in the folder Disk1. Since I now had access to the InstallShield files I could 'see' what they were doing (or not doing in this case!). The files showed that the installer for v1.2 is NOT checking to see if the Silent Hunter 5 folder already exists nor is it checking to see if any of the files it needs to update exist. All it cares about is whether or not the required registry entries exist. Excellent, lets exploit this vulnerability!!

Now I did the below on my computer and everything worked just like I thought it would so it should work flawlessly on those with Steam installations also.

Find your \Silent Hunter 5 folder and move it to your desktop and rename it 'Silent Hunter 5 save' (cut it so it no longer exists at it's current location but rather on your desktop). Make a copy of steam's sh5.exe and name it sh5-steam.exe. Run the official v1.2 patch from Ubicrap saying yes you want to install even though you are already at v1.2. If everything goes to plan then another Silent Hunter 5 folder should've been created where your old one existed. In there you'll find the non-steam sh5.exe :D Copy the non-steam sh5.exe to your 'Silent Hunter 5 save' folder on your desktop. Make a copy of this new sh5.exe and name it sh5-ubi.exe. Delete the new Silent Hunter 5 folder that was created by the official 1.2 patch. Copy the 'Silent Hunter 5 save' folder to where the new Silent Hunter 5 folder was and rename it back to 'Silent Hunter 5'. Run the Generic Patcher and see if you can patch the sh5.exe.

If this all works then I will have the app automate everything so you simply click one button and it does everything for you :yeah:

When I run the update it fails because the game is no longer in the directory and a new folder isn't created in its place?

THEBERBSTER
10-11-16, 04:38 AM
Hi Gd
Use this updated fix.
Post #161 TDW’s Generic File Patcher Steam Installation Instructions By sirrawsrsalot > Updated Version (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2266214&postcount=161)
Peter

Greendevil303
10-11-16, 07:21 AM
Hi Gd
Use this updated fix.
Post #161 TDW’s Generic File Patcher Steam Installation Instructions By sirrawsrsalot > Updated Version (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2266214&postcount=161)
Peter

Thanks.
I actually tried this yesterday. In fact, I tried multiple ways to get the patcher to work (for about 8-1/2 hours) before I became incredibly frustrated and finally gave up. I can't run the viewer program because apparently I do not have an mscomctl.ocx file on my computer. I do not plan on altering my system so I can play a game, but that's just me.
If it helps I am running Windows 10 64-bit platform.

Outeniqua
10-11-16, 07:35 AM
Thanks.
I actually tried this yesterday. In fact, I tried multiple ways to get the patcher to work (for about 8-1/2 hours) before I became incredibly frustrated and finally gave up. I can't run the viewer program because apparently I do not have an mscomctl.ocx file on my computer. I do not plan on altering my system so I can play a game, but that's just me.
If it helps I am running Windows 10 64-bit platform.

I got around this problem by setting up a virtual machine running Windows XP. Thus, you are not at risk for modifying your running system and you can safely run the software to unpack the installer and successfully extract the exe from the cab file. I can't recall if you still needed to grab mscomctl.ocx, but since it's a VM it's doesn't matter.

THEBERBSTER
10-11-16, 09:50 AM
Hi GD
I do not have an mscomctl.ocx file on my computer.Apparantly this file does not come with Windows 10.
Having said that, it is included in my Windows 7 to 10 upgrade.
It can be downloaded so as to run older applications and there are plenty of instructions including YouTube to show you how to do it.
Peter

Greendevil303
10-11-16, 10:35 AM
Hi GD
I do not have an mscomctl.ocx file on my computer.Apparantly this file does not come with Windows 10.
Having said that, it is included in my Windows 7 to 10 upgrade.
It can be downloaded so as to run older applications and there are plenty of instructions including YouTube to show you how to do it.
Peter

I have that upgrade as well and it didn't come with this file.

Greendevil303
10-11-16, 02:31 PM
Ok. Thanks to all here and quite a bit of tinkering ( I feel like a full-fledged computer programmer lol) I FINALLY got this thing running!!!

But I have 2 problems now:

1-Anti virus keeps kicking out the patched SH5.exe, labeling it as a Trojan.

2-Fired up game, started new career, and after loading screen the game crashes.

Any known fixes for either?

Mikemike47
10-11-16, 03:32 PM
1-Anti virus keeps kicking out the patched SH5.exe, labeling it as a Trojan.

Most antivirus programs have an exclusion/exception section where you can put filenames.
Others will have a popup warning saying if you want to block this program from running or allow it.
I found the exceptipn section under advanced settings. I use AVG 64-bit free edition and works for both.

Greendevil303
10-11-16, 04:51 PM
Yeah. I made the exception. Do you think there is a possibility when it threw it out that it scrambled some settings? Should I do a reinstall?
Also I don't know if running Afterburner causes any issues? I run it on the stock game with mods and it's fine.

THEBERBSTER
10-11-16, 07:03 PM
HI Gd
A fresh install might give you piece of mind.
Like Mike I also have AVG and it does not take kindly to some .exe applications.
As Mike said, running the .exe as an exception will stop it from popping up each time you load the game.
Run your SH5.exe and 32 bit Game Launcher as administrator's.
I run all of my applications in this mode.
Peter

Greendevil303
10-11-16, 09:18 PM
Thank you guys for all the help!! After a fresh install (along with deleting anything to do with SH5) I finally got it working and surprisingly well!! And, boy, is it gorgeous!
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/m4_223/Silent%20Hunterreg%20%20Battle%20of%20the%20Atlant ic%20Gold%20Edition2016-10-11-19-4-4.jpg

Just shipped out on my first patrol and really enjoying the new features. And that Enigma is a @#$@ing work of art! Can't wait for my first encrypted message from BDU :D One thing I did notice is that the characters' mouths don't move when they speak?
Also, I know you're not supposed to throw anymore mods against the mod packs (who'd want to anyway??) but I was wondering if it would affect the game if I used:
-Stormy's DBSM sound mods. I've used them for so long now and I really do love them.
-Alternative Das Boot crew icons mod.
Excellent work to all involved in this project. Looking forward to countless hours racking up tonnage! Cheers! :Kaleun_Cheers:

Greendevil303
10-11-16, 09:24 PM
HI Gd
A fresh install might give you piece of mind.
Like Mike I also have AVG and it does not take kindly to some .exe applications.
As Mike said, running the .exe as an exception will stop it from popping up each time you load the game.
Run your SH5.exe and 32 bit Game Launcher as administrator's.
I run all of my applications in this mode.
Peter

Thank you! I will run the game on administrator. I did give exception for the modded .exe through Norton 360 and had absolutely no problems loading and running the game!

Holothurin
01-04-17, 03:44 AM
So first post and already complaining. Not the best way to introduce oneself, sorry :)

Actually I got the whole thing working: replacing the steam-executable with the 1.2 stock one, patching it and getting no CTD's.
Though.... as soon as i applay the patch mentioned as 'required for UI 7.5.0' about the new destroyed marks I get the sinking date bug 0000-00-00 for every ship sunk and no destroyed marks on the map anymore.
Yes, I do have the 7.5.0 UI installed.
As soon as I disable that patch again, the sinking bug is gone but the destroyed marks still dont show up anymore. Not a gamebreaker but kind of a nuisance, so.... uh.... what am I doing wrong here?
I got a custom list of mods. TWOS includes too many features I.... uh.... no offense.... find rather non-entertaining but the load order looks like the one mentioned in sobers mega-mod aside of a few extras.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 5\MODS]

FX_Update_0_0_22_ByTheDarkWraith
FXU_0_0_22_Ship zon Files
Ship Capsize & Listing Effects 1.0_by vdr1981
NewUIs_TDC_7_5_0_ByTheDarkWraith
NewUIs_TDC_7_5_0_New_radio_messages_German
IRAI_0_0_41_ByTheDarkWraith
Environment 15 MOD
SubFlags_0_0_8_byTheDarkWraith
A Fistful of Emblems v1.51
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_byTheBeast
Equip_Upgrades_Fix_1_4_AFFOE_151
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1
#Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1_HotFix
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1 (available by date) V9 by sober
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2
OPEN HORIZONS II v2.5
SH5 External Cargo 1.0
IO_StrategicMap_7_4_2_for_TDWv742
IO_ShapeTextures_NO_mod
OHII v2.5 - No Stupid Tonnage Bar_Free Style Campaign v0.1_IO Strat.Map_NewUIs v7.5.0
DBSM_Speech_1_0_4
All sounds March 2014

I merged subflags, AFFOE and EqUpgrades manually, so those should work. That tonnage bug only appears on the patched exe with that certain patch enabled. So I'm kinda.... lost now. Considering I own SH5 for a few days now and spent about 80% of my gaming time for patching, modding and debugging it I'd appreciate any help :D

THEBERBSTER
01-04-17, 06:40 AM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Holothurin
If you are new to SH5 look > > HERE (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2391239&postcount=1) << STEAM is not compatible with the essential application TDW’s Generic File Patcher
Steam Conversion Installation Instructions for SH5 Updated Version (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2266214&postcount=161)
Highly Recommended SH5 > The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod > Includes KSDCommander And Working Enigma M4 Machine (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2165720#post2165720)

I get the sinking date bug 0000-00-00 for every ship sunk and no destroyed marks on the map anymore. Call it a bug.
You can fix it manually each time if you want to.
Post #111 FX_Update_0_0_22_ByTheDarkWraith How To Enable Correctly (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2213504&postcount=111)
sober removed this from his mega mod so you do not see it.
the destroyed marks still dont show up anymore. That is not necessarily a bad thing as you should not make a game save within 60km of a destroyed mark.
what am I doing wrong here? Nothing.
SubFlags_0_0_8_byTheDarkWraith Known cause of ctd's.
IO_StrategicMap_7_4_2_for_TDWv742 you are running 7-5-0 not 7-4-2
FX_Update_0_0_22_ByTheDarkWraith You should be running 1 of the patches with this mod.
Post #111 FX_Update_0_0_22_ByTheDarkWraith How To Enable Correctly (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2213504&postcount=111)
See picture 6
TWOS includes too many features Would you be kind enough to explain by what you mean?
TWOS is 99.99% stable.
Unfortunately yours will not be an you will spend more time trying to fix it rather than playing the game.
Playing the game is what SH5 is all about.

Holothurin
01-04-17, 10:44 AM
Would you be kind enough to explain by what you mean?
TWOS is 99.99% stable.
Unfortunately yours will not be an you will spend more time trying to fix it rather than playing the game.
Playing the game is what SH5 is all about.

Sure thing. Thanks for the welcome and the answers already.
You got me with the patches for FX_Update_0_0_22_ByTheDarkWraith and IO_StrategicMap_7_4_2_for_TDWv742. I missed both and have them updated now.
Interesting enough SubFlags_0_0_8_byTheDarkWraith didn't cause any CTD to me so far. Actually I do have some weird behaviours like the mentioned sinking date bug but almost to none CTD's so far.

Now to TWOS:

I think I can be called a casual player and TWOS as it stands caters to the hardcore simmer which i'm not. I be honest, I prefer graphics and immersion mods a lot over hardcore simming. Things like Real Navigation add to Realism for sure but to me spending half of my gaming time ( or more ) to prepare a 'Feindfahrt' are too much. I had to do something like that for two years on board a frigate and tbbh... no, please. Not again.
The next thing is the nerfed 88mm. Especially during the early campaign I use the deck gun a lot. One of those expensive fishes blown at a 2.000tons steamer? No, nonono. Same goes for dud torpedoes. Yes, I know... it was the worst crisis during the early war but please... three hours going to British eastern coastal waters and not getting a single fish to target? Realism is cool but there should be some action as well, unless we play Ship Simulator, right? :)
Same goes for refitting. Yah, I've been to Helgoland a few times and you could never ever refit a submarine there :D But honestly.... have a heart for the casual players and spare them the trips to Kiel or other harbours far off. Ship Simulator... did i mention that already? :)
Enigma as well. Yes. It's famous and realistic but.... please. I have a radioman for that job. It's not like I have to manage the whole sub on my own. Things like those make me stay away from it.

So... yes, TWOS is a really gorgeous piece of realism added to SH5. It's just.... too much for me as a kinda casual player :)

THEBERBSTER
01-04-17, 11:12 AM
Hi Holothurin
Things like Real Navigation add to Realism for sure but to me spending half of my gaming time ( or more ) to prepare a 'Feindfahrt' are too much. Not compulsory only an option.
The next thing is the nerfed 88mm. Only deck gun fitted on VIIA and B types.
You can still beef this gun up though with a mod.
Same goes for dud torpedoes. Can be reduced from the game.
Even the game you are playing will not give you 100% dud free.
Same goes for refitting. Yah, I've been to Helgoland a few times and you could never ever refit a submarine there It is better to dock than refit.
Refitting builds up your game files data and will not repair any hull damage.
Enigma as well. Yes. It's famous and realistic but.... please.
Not compulsory only an option.
Peter

Holothurin
01-04-17, 01:43 PM
I admit i'm rather tempted and if just for the graphics.... those are all optional things for sure? Even the rusty u-boat skins?

Aktungbby
01-04-17, 05:35 PM
Holothurin!:Kaleun_Salute:

THEBERBSTER
01-04-17, 06:42 PM
Hi Holothurin
Even the rusty u-boat skins? Default on VIIA not on VIIB.
Can be modded out on VIIA.
Alternatively you could start with a VIIB.
This would take you through the first 2 campaigns, Total Germany and Happy Times.
Peter

green_abobo
01-16-17, 06:18 PM
Ahoy Chaoic16 :salute:

Maybe this is what you're looking for:

http://installshield-cabinet-file-viewer4.software.informer.com/14.0/

i have the extractor. 1.6.1.

my problem is the only option i have for file = quit.
edit = preferences.

what did i do wrong? I'm @ step 6 of sirrawrsalot 's post.

Silent Steel
01-19-17, 09:39 AM
I admit i'm rather tempted and if just for the graphics.... those are all optional things for sure? Even the rusty u-boat skins?

PM me if you have troubles installing mods.
Herzlich willkommen bei uns

arnesw
01-21-17, 05:57 PM
i have the extractor. 1.6.1.

my problem is the only option i have for file = quit.
edit = preferences.

what did i do wrong? I'm @ step 6 of sirrawrsalot 's post.

Do you still have the problem? Try running all the steps as administrator.

qiaoyech
03-19-17, 01:51 PM
Can confirm this still works with the newest steam/uplay/windows 10. Thanks for the info!:Kaleun_Salute:

THEBERBSTER
03-19-17, 06:27 PM
Hi qiaoyech
Thanks for confirming all is still working ok.
Peter

Perry Reinhart
03-24-17, 09:58 AM
When running the install shield i keep getting "'mscomctl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered"

anyone know a fix for this as trying to get the first step done that being getting the generic patcher to work with steam for TWOS,

thanks

Aktungbby
03-24-17, 10:03 AM
Perry Reinhart!:Kaleun_Salute:

hauangua
03-24-17, 10:28 AM
When running the install shield i keep getting "'mscomctl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered"

anyone know a fix for this as trying to get the first step done that being getting the generic patcher to work with steam for TWOS,

thanks
Hi mate
windows 7 ...10?
32 or 64 bit?

solution for w10 64 but work again with other windows versions

download by Microsoft...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10019
Download visual basic6

This package updates two Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls: mscomctl.ocx and comctl32.ocx to address the issues described in the KB articles noted in the Related Resources section on this page.
This package will not install these Common Controls if they do not already exist on the target system. This package cannot be uninstalled.

Perry Reinhart
03-24-17, 02:00 PM
think i solved it as running the program as admin thanks

THEBERBSTER
03-24-17, 03:14 PM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Perry Reinhart
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community:salute: (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2027002&postcount=1)
If you are new to SH5 look > > HERE (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2391239&postcount=1) << STEAM is not compatible with the essential application TDW’s Generic File Patcher
Steam Conversion Installation Instructions for SH5 Updated Version (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2266214&postcount=161)
Highly Recommended SH5 > The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod > Includes Optional KSDCommander And Working Enigma M4 Machine (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2165720#post2165720)

Jimbuna
03-25-17, 09:16 AM
Welcome to SubSim Perry :Kaleun_Salute:

Capt.medina
10-21-17, 10:36 PM
Welcome to Subsim forum.

Same problem with not being able to find viewer

THEBERBSTER
10-22-17, 02:10 AM
Hi Cm
The download link to the viewer is working, can you explain what you are missing.
A missing file can be found by Googling.
Peter

MinskMariner
12-08-17, 10:31 PM
Can someone please PM me a download of the non-Steam sh5.exe file for v1.2 so I can install Wolves of Steel on my Steam SH5? Or an unpacked v1.2 patch file (so I can get the .exe from there myself)?

I've been banging my head against the wall for hours trying to get the InstallShield Cabinet File Viewer to work on my machine (and all of the other methods I could find recommended on forums) and for the life of me can't get it to work.

Your help would be appreciated!

*Update* After more searching, I finally managed to find on a Russian site the unpacked v1.2 patch file from where I could extract the non-Steam sh5.exe. Here is the site I used: http://www.playground.ru/files/patch_silent_hunter_5_v1_2_fixed_files-32291/

hauangua
12-09-17, 12:33 AM
Can someone please PM me a download of the non-Steam sh5.exe file for v1.2 so I can install Wolves of Steel on my Steam SH5? Or an unpacked v1.2 patch file (so I can get the .exe from there myself)?

I've been banging my head against the wall for hours trying to get the InstallShield Cabinet File Viewer to work on my machine (and all of the other methods I could find recommended on forums) and for the life of me can't get it to work.

Your help would be appreciated!

Why not work?.. Message error?

MinskMariner
12-09-17, 01:39 PM
Whenever I would try to run the Viewer .exe file, I would get a message saying installation files are being prepared and the process would just freeze there. I tried running as administrator, in compatibility mode, and using all other recommended fixes. No luck. But, as I mentioned above in the "Update", the unpacked v1.2 patch file worked for me to get the non-Steam .exe.

kajonas
07-28-18, 03:33 PM
This method works beautifully. It uses the Install Shield Cabinet File Viewer
iscab.exe command line utility as an alternative to the iscabvu.exe file extraction method (assumed above).

Assume an initial directory structure as follows:
%Downloads%\InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer
%Downloads%\silent_hunter_5_1.02_eu
(where %Downloads% can be anything, any path)

CD to your "silent_hunter_5_1.02_eu\Disk1" directory

Run this command
=============
..\..\InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer\iscab data1.cab -i"allmyfiles.ini" -lx

Make a copy of allmyfiles.ini --> allmyfiles_edit.ini
delete everything in this file except for the following:

[ISCAB Info]
Product=ISCAB
Version=2.0

[Game]
File40="sh5.exe"

Run this command
===========
..\..\InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer\iscab data1.cab -i"allmyfiles_edit.ini" -x

You should find the file sh5.exe extracted in the current directory
Done.

XenonSurf
07-28-18, 03:59 PM
Welcome to Subsim, Kajonas

All this is surely the best procedure for a Steam user to get the game running with his very personal mods, but keep in mind that if you're going to use the TWoS megamod (which contains the most known mods and is a huge collection, and therefore mostly recommended even for beginners) then, all this procedure is is *NO* longer necessary for TWoS 2.2.6 and later versions, the TWoS installation can be started with your game updated to 1.2.0 installed in Steam straight on without hassle, without acrobaties anymore. Only thing to do is to follow the install instructions carefully.

If you do install the newest TWoS, it's best to go offline during the install, shut down U-Play and shut down your anti-virus in order for them not to interfere. This will save you a lot of trouble later...

THEBERBSTER
07-28-18, 04:36 PM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > kajonas
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2027002&postcount=1)
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

Thank you for the additional information I have updated the tutorial.

Aktungbby
07-28-18, 05:09 PM
kajonas!:Kaleun_Salute:

RainmakerLTU
05-13-20, 12:43 PM
Hi

someone please explain me, why all this patching needed? Because I recently got myself a SH5, (played a lot SH3 years ago) and Steam version BTW. And everything is working, installed TDW UI mod, also, no probs. Don`t see a need to patch anything more, since version is 1.2.0 originally already.

Thanks.

Aktungbby
05-13-20, 12:54 PM
RainmakerLTU!:Kaleun_Salute: I see the infamous :subsim: seven-year-itch has driven you to the surface since joining in 2013,:yeah:I also play SH-V w/o mods.:salute:

Texas Red
05-13-20, 01:01 PM
Some people's games don't work and require a lot of patching to make them work. Others just patch the game so they can fix all those annoying bugs.

Fellow subsimers can chime in as well.

RainmakerLTU
05-13-20, 10:48 PM
Aktungbby, thanks for greeting hehe. Yeah, really, I joined 2013, when got into SH3 and mods or it was few years before, but anyway. Felt like ready for writing something just now, because all info it`s there in Subsim, no need to ask much now.

THEBERBSTER
05-14-20, 03:54 AM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > RainmakerLTU
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2027002&postcount=1)
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

jggallow01
07-01-20, 11:57 PM
Hello Dragonlord47.

Check your pm box, please.

I need it and cant find it. Any help?

jggallow01
07-03-20, 12:38 AM
Can anyone help me procure the Install shield Cabinet Viewer, or give me the proper sh5.exe file? Trying to get my steam version mod-ded. Reading the steps in the original post, all you need is that sh5.exe file. Seems like a boat-load of work to get it.

Is there an easier way - six years later?

Aktungbby
07-03-20, 03:10 AM
jggallow01!:Kaleun_Salute:

jggallow01
07-04-20, 01:39 PM
jggallow01!:Kaleun_Salute:

I've donated to the site. My deciphering of your response alludes - I believe - that I haven't donated enough to acquire what I'm asking for.

Is this correct? What is being asked of me?

vdr1981
07-04-20, 02:33 PM
Can anyone help me procure the Install shield Cabinet Viewer, or give me the proper sh5.exe file? Trying to get my steam version mod-ded. Reading the steps in the original post, all you need is that sh5.exe file. Seems like a boat-load of work to get it.

Is there an easier way - six years later?

There is a much easier way...:yep:https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=4861

...and install instructions...http://www.mediafire.com/file/5ru57hxn7d8f0f3/The_Wolves_of_Steel_2.2_Install_instructions.pdf/file