PDA

View Full Version : who is still playing sh4?

Pages : 1 [2]

flaminus
05-01-16, 12:22 PM
Hello! It's so glad to see there are still so many people like SH4.:salute:

Recently, I'm trying to come back to this game and finish a full career from 1941 to 1945. Since the last time i played sh4 is 2 years ago.

But just at the very beginning, there is a painful issue which stop me to continue, some of my sinking records always lost when i load a game.
Like this:http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=225854

Here may may i ask some experienced players for help? I don't know is this caused by some mods? Is there any way to fix this problem or we should just live with it and try not to save and load within a patrol?

Thanks in advance!

spccolts
04-03-17, 08:31 AM
Best game I've played in a long, long time. Still haven't tried the mego mods yet. Want to finish my career first.

Bubblehead1980
04-03-17, 02:06 PM
Still playing(with TMO and RSRD of course)after a while away due to real life and desktop went boom.Now back with a new rig, finally nearly have my install back(heavily modded, been collecting them again lol)

SH 4 out of the box, while flawed, is a great sim.With all the mods to fix bugs and improve the sim, it's amazing.I'll never forget how excited I was when my then girlfriend brought it home to me(I was laid up for several months after a serious car accident) , a submarine sim focusing on the US in the Pacific? heck yes.

After enjoying the sim but being annoyed with bugs, inaccuracies etc(did a lot of reading as well) , I found subsim. Before long I had compulsive tweaking disorder, assisted by the great community and made a few of my own mods.

Not knocking U boats, had fun in Op Monsun mod but fleetboats in PTO hold my attention more. Just wish I had the time, skill etc to finish certain projects others start such as the extra compartments for the various boats etc.

I was disappointed SH 5 went back to u boats in ATO and was rather gamey. Looks like it's come a long way but no real desire to dive into it.I still have my copy, may sell it.

I believe SH 4 is 10 years old now, still going strong.

Bleiente
04-03-17, 02:46 PM
Ich hätte es nicht erwartet, ... aber ich liebe SH4 (späte Liebe).
Hatte früher immer über die US-Boote gespottet, daß diese nicht so tief tauchen könnten, wie sie lang wären.
Der Gedanke stimmt auch, denn deutsche Uboote hatten einen Sicherheitsfaktor von 2,5... amerikanische Uboote gerademal einen Faktor von 1,5.

Man kann feststellen, daß die deutschen Uboote von Material als auch Konstruktion überlegen waren.
Aber... das Radar (eigentlich auch eine deutsche Erfindung) verschaffte den US-Booten im Pacific den entscheidenen Vorteil.

Insgesamt war die Uboot-Waffe der Amerikaner besser aufgestellt (Dank Nimitz) und konnten so einen tatsächlich erfolgreichen Uboot-Krieg führen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would not have expected it ... but I love SH4 (late love).
Had previously always talked about the US boats that these could not dive as deep as they would be long.
The idea is also true, because German submarines had a safety factor of 2.5 ... American submarines straight a factor of 1.5.

It can be seen that the German submarines were superior to material as well as construction.
But ... the radar (actually also a German invention) gave the US boats in the Pacific the decisive advantage.

All in all, the American submarine weapon was better placed (thanks to Nimitz) and could thus lead a really successful submarine war.

Bleiente
04-05-17, 01:41 PM
It can be seen that the German submarines were superior to material as well as construction.

Since at the time of this testimony I fell victim to the beer delusion, I must prove it in detail.

So... the German submarines were very conservative in design and derived from IWW boats, which means the design was obsolete.
However, as far as the quality of the pressure body was concerned, the technologies used were exceedingly modern and far superior to those of other nations.

This already began with the use of special steel alloys for high elongation and simultaneous hardness as well as the oxygen-free welding technique, which was used in German submarine construction from the beginning/middle of the 1930s.

Hope this explains sustainably my somewhat succinctly drowned statement in the previous post...

ijnfleetadmiral
04-06-17, 01:23 AM
Just finished my firstU-boat campaign on Silent Hunter 4, and I made a Wiki bio of my character...let me know what you guys think!

http://silent-hunters.wikia.com/wiki/Kurt_Hossel

Jimbuna
04-06-17, 06:04 AM
^ Nice one :up:

cookiemonste
04-07-17, 01:00 PM
I don't know what it is, but I am starting to hate SH4.

Bleiente
04-07-17, 02:05 PM
I don't know what it is, but I am starting to hate SH4.
... ??? :hmmm:

"Wo bleiben die Meldungen, ich will eine vernünftige Meldung... VERDAMMT MOCHMAL!!!" :Kaleun_Mad:
-----------------------------------------

:haha:

No - now seriously ... where are the problems?

cookiemonste
04-07-17, 05:51 PM
Well, where do I start?
The damage controll is not working, the screen is a total mess. It does not tell you if an object is destroyed or just damaged, I think Silent Hunter 3 is much better in that regard. I had a damage controll team set up to repair damage during the patrol, they never did the job. Even though I saw the dudes working on the boat. The whole crew management is bad in my opinion.
The shift rotation is nice though.
There is no way to requisition new boats, I nead you earn them, okay I get that part but what do I have to do?
I'm stuck with that worthless bathtub of an S-boat.
Also some texts and pictures are not showing up, but that is the mod I guess. (trigger maru)
In general I find parts of the UI absolute crap.

propbeanie
04-07-17, 06:42 PM
It sounds like you have a messed-up mod install, or the game install. Go ahead and start a new thread in this area, and someone will get you set-up. TMO is an excellent mod. If you get going good, you might even like Bleiente's Mod Soup, which is his own brew of TMO + RSRDC. Or, you might (of course) consider Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition, which is in beta.

cookiemonste
04-07-17, 07:27 PM
I don't really have any special mod enabled.
My set up: http://up.picr.de/28832091as.jpg
But still, there is something that really bugs me about the UI that I can't put my finger on. Plus the mentioned mess in the damage controll screen.
And the only thing I am missing, is the picture of my medal when I decide to look at it.
But I think I'll stay away from this game, I'm just not having fun.
Edit: And now I have floating enemy ships that are imune to torpedos, yup, never going to touch tha game agian.

Jonesy
04-10-17, 05:05 AM
Still playing....just went by Truk lagoon and found 5 ships just sitting stationary, they paid for that..:arrgh!:

when I go back to base I got offered a new submarine, took it...but unfortunately that meant I lost my surface search radar :ping::hmmm:....well...hopefully it's available again for upgrade after the next mission.

Rockin Robbins
04-10-17, 06:52 AM
I don't really have any special mod enabled.
My set up: http://up.picr.de/28832091as.jpg
But still, there is something that really bugs me about the UI that I can't put my finger on. Plus the mentioned mess in the damage controll screen.
And the only thing I am missing, is the picture of my medal when I decide to look at it.
But I think I'll stay away from this game, I'm just not having fun.
Edit: And now I have floating enemy ships that are imune to torpedos, yup, never going to touch tha game agian.

Cookie monster you have corrupted your game files with a great and self-inflicted case of mod soup. This time you'll have to reinstall the game. I'd recommend clearing out your \SH4 directory in your \Documents folder too. Then if you are really irritated you need to download, learn and use the Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System (SH4CMS). Just switching back and forth from TMO to FOTRSU in the same game directory is fatal. Just load up the wrong game save and your game is toast.

The doctor prescribes a complete reinstallation of SH4 from scratch, after total uninstallation, then using SH4CMS before you ever play the game. From then on, whenever you have mod soup you can be back to a perfect installation in under 10 minutes. No reinstall ever necessary again.

cookiemonste
04-10-17, 08:24 AM
Where did it go wrong? Because I stuck to the manual in the Pacifc enviroment folder.

Rockin Robbins
04-10-17, 10:00 AM
You don't have to go wrong to corrupt your game installation. Some mods, like TMO, have defects that corrupt the game just by uninstalling them. The instructions with SH4CMS tell you to regularly uninstall all your mods and do a file compare with originals function with JSGME. If it says files are changed or missing you have corruption.

And because it's a total waste of time to figure out where the corruption came from, SH4CMS just fixes it, no matter what the cause, no matter what the corruption is. You don't have to identify what files are affected or what the cause was. Why should you even have to care?

It's like rebooting Windows when things get wonky. Sure you could spend hours figuring out what happened and figuring out how to fix it. Or take a few seconds to reboot. SH4CMS is like that.

cookiemonste
04-10-17, 06:16 PM
I'm sorry, I'm just do dumb to install that tool. All I get is error messages.

razark
04-17-17, 04:24 PM
I seem to have noticed a recent surge in the number of questions posted by new or returning players. Is it my imagination, or has SH4 recently experienced an upsurge in activity?

Mechac
04-25-17, 10:35 PM
Well, where do I start?
The damage controll is not working, the screen is a total mess. It does not tell you if an object is destroyed or just damaged, I think Silent Hunter 3 is much better in that regard. I had a damage controll team set up to repair damage during the patrol, they never did the job. Even though I saw the dudes working on the boat. The whole crew management is bad in my opinion.
The shift rotation is nice though.
There is no way to requisition new boats, I nead you earn them, okay I get that part but what do I have to do?
I'm stuck with that worthless bathtub of an S-boat.
Also some texts and pictures are not showing up, but that is the mod I guess. (trigger maru)
In general I find parts of the UI absolute crap.

You'll be able get better sub after few missions. S-18 is hard to begin with because its slow and you cant outrun most of merchants. Torpedoes have shorter range, but are at least realiable compared to Mark 14s.
I would suggest to begin with Porpoise class as its more solid sub. S-18 needs more patience and planning ahead.

leongt
04-25-17, 11:30 PM
Just started to play SH4 after a long lay off and I finally managed to get the Titan to work in campaign mode but then I had to do one of those photo missions but the titan was too big to get in close in the shallow white section of the map while submerged so I'm unable to take a photo.

I did try on the surface but the take phot icon didn't come up, has anyone had this problem

Aktungbby
04-25-17, 11:47 PM
Mechac!:Kaleun_Salute: & Leongt!:Kaleun_Salute: Seems like we missed your first two posts; forgive our manners-the third time's the charm!

Gilbou
04-26-17, 08:29 PM
Still playing.
Got SH3 and SH4 on my disk.
I got the SH4 limited edition in metal box + the Uboat addon :)

CaptBones
04-27-17, 12:14 PM
I'm still playing...in both Pacific and Atlantic Theaters. Two separate installations using Multi SH4, one for TMO and one for OpMonsun.

I just can't get into SH5 and all the work it takes to un-bug it and get Wolves of Steel installed and working...maybe I'll try again some day.

Plus, I had a total failure of both of my SH3 installations about a month ago and can't get things fixed and running again. Long story...power outage in the middle of a LSH3 2015 patrol...restarted the game after power was restored and SH3 Commander says it can't start because another SH3 is running...what?!?!? So, tried to start GWX, from a separate SH3 CDR, and got the same result. Something fishy going on here.

After multiple attempts, uninstalled everything related to SH3, cleaned the register (using two separate registry cleaner tools), cleaned the "free space" (also two different tools) and defragged the HDD (another two different tools). Shut down the computer, restarted, reinstalled SH3, started it directly w/o any MODs...all OK. But, to be safe, deleted the new SH3 folder in the Documents folder and shut down/restarted the computer.

Then made two copies, installed LSH3 in one and GWX in the other and reinstalled separate SH3 CDR for GWX. Tried to start LSH3...SH3 CDR can't start because "another SH3.exe is running". WTF? Can't be true!!...but I give up after one more unsuccessful attempt to completely uninstall and reinstall, etc. etc.

Anyway, happy to have SH4 and both packages for a USN Pacific campaign and a U-Boat Battle of the Atlantic campaign. Lots of good MODs for both and have been doing some of my own tweaks and fixes. May not have the better graphics and eye candy of SH5 or the dynamic campaigns and "real world" enhancements of the SH3 mega-MODs. But it's good enough to be entertaining and always fun on a rainy day or a sleepless night.

To be sure though, the best part, for any/all of the Silent Hunter series, is the Subsim community itself. By far the best group of people on the internet.:salute:

Garrish
04-29-17, 02:11 PM
I'm still playing, I love the game. I put it down for periods of time but something keeps drawing me back. It's just one of those games that never actually seems to become outdated I guess. There are a lot of games that you play them, they age, become irrelevant, or you beat the game or whatever, but this one is always there, waiting to be played some more. I guess if you like subs you like subs and there is nothing to destroy the ability to jump in and play some more, then it's likely that you'll come back to it since it a lot about strategy with some minor role playing that revolves around actual history in SH4.

I enjoy SH5 Wolves of Steel as well, as I've noticed that others have mentioned it, but I get a bit of crashes. Playing SH4, I don't have to deal with the moral system and leveling crew to make my boat magically better. In SH4 loss of crew and injury do reduce efficiency but I like the fact that I feel more like a captain with a full crew instead of just a few low moral officers and guys in their bunks. Another big factor for me is the ability to use the deck gun when you want to instead of just glass calm waters. I also enjoy handing out medals at the end of a mission.

Edgar Gold
05-01-17, 07:18 AM
SH4 returning player. Love SH4 and this community. Some really awesome mods + information.

Am thinking about picking up SH5 this week just having a blast atm with SH4.

propbeanie
05-01-17, 09:26 AM
SH5 can be a lot of fun too. Just be sure and read up on all the pitfalls involved before you attempt to apply mods. THEBERBSTER especially can be helpful over there, so follow the links in his signature:

SH5 <> TUTORIALS <>HOW TO DO IT <> INFORMATION <> DOWNLOAD LINKS (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2182950#post2182950)

...which is very similar to his SH4 link. That definitely got me going in the right direction with it. Nothing can help a player get up and down the ladders in the game though, which is still a major frustration for me... :har:

Front Runner
05-04-17, 08:25 AM
After an extended shore leave and some hardware issues playing SH4. I am back on board.

Aktungbby
05-04-17, 09:35 AM
Front Runner!:Kaleun_Salute:

Able72
05-07-17, 01:54 AM
Currently playing SH4 and loving it. I really like playing in a US sub in the Pacific theater. Currently running a lot of mods. TMO with RSRD and OTC, plus a bunch more for some minor tweaks.
I really like the full crew availability over the very small crew you have in SH5. Although the eye candy and such is better in SH5, all in all that version of SH is nigh unplayable by itself. Its only with TWOS that it becomes even remotely playable as a game. They have done a great job with it.
I may go ahead and load up SH3 again with GWX to fight in the Atlantic Theater. SH Commander just adds so much. It's unbelievable the amount of depth that little program adds to the career mode.

harlikwin
05-07-17, 12:14 PM
Well, I just got it running again, so I guess I am...

What are the good mods these days? :Kaleun_Salute:

Vatis1982
05-11-17, 11:56 AM
:Kaleun_Salute:
Me. After 10 years of retirement i decided to downloaded it from steam and with U-boats missions. I feel young again.:ping:
I had the original version (dvd)

l02turner
07-14-18, 12:48 AM
Hey guys, just a question out of curiosity how many of u guys are still playing sh4 and what mods are u using (if your using mods) and what r u guys up to in your careers? Follow up question, for those of u who don't play sh4, why did u stop playing?

I play it straight out of the box. no mods no add ins. I have played many other subsums and keep coming back to this one for its realism.\

It's frustrating trying to pick up fliers though as I get very close to them only to see the current pull them away!

:Kaleun_Salute:

jimmbbo
07-15-18, 08:21 PM
Just cranked up my OOB SH4 up again after about a year off and watching the Smithsonian Channel's "Hell Below" series. A bit of a relearning curve, but am really enjoying it!!

O/T, but I do not recall the keyboard shortcut for recentering the display on the sub's current position... IIRC there was one, but have been unable to recall it. TIA!

:Kaleun_Cheers:

mikesn9
07-16-18, 06:42 AM
O/T, but I do not recall the keyboard shortcut for recentering the display on the sub's current position... IIRC there was one, but have been unable to recall it. TIA!

ctrl + left click

jimmbbo
07-16-18, 02:44 PM
Many thanks!!
:Kaleun_Cheers:

gxsmith
07-17-18, 06:01 PM
Using TMO(fantastic), Improved stock evironmentv3TMO and ISE realistic colors. Patrolling the Marshall Islands, sunk a Merchant 7000 tons then got chased by a Muzaki Destroyer and barely got away alive. He has been a pain in my side, can't seem to take him out, yet?

Aktungbby
07-17-18, 06:03 PM
gxsmith!:Kaleun_Salute:

Skipper44
11-09-19, 12:08 PM
I had been playing SH5 with TWoS which is really just outstanding and I think holds up well even with newer titles like Cold Waters, Wolfpack and Uboat.
Ultimately though, none of the new sims are set in the Pacific.

I think that the Pacific is a better campaign, and with RSRDC SH4 is able to model it pretty well. The air threat, surface threat, ASW capabilities and convoy system of the IJN change in interesting ways whereas I think in the Atlantic the Allied supremacy becomes simply overwhelming and your tactical possibilities are extremely narrow after the spring of 1943. In the Pacific, operating off the DEI in 1941-2 is nearly a different game from sampan busting in Home Waters in '45. Your choice of basing also changes the game in a bigger way than moving 100km down the French coast from Lorient to Saint-Nazaire.

I think the size, speed, range, weapons suite and EW capabilities of the Fleet Boat present markedly different challenges and opportunities from the Type VII U-Boat. I like having a larger crew although I'm not sure if I prefer crew management in SH4 or SH5.

Silent Hunter 5 is a decade old, but I think the visuals and features, especially with TWoS make for an all-time great sub sim. I'm willing to trade all of that for Silent Hunter 4's Pacific setting which is why I still play it.

If anyone at Ubisoft is listening, I would buy a Silent Hunter 6 that was the exact same engine as 5 but set in the Pacific. I can't imagine it would cost much to develop but it's just outside the scope of what modders are able to do. I can't promise they'd sell 300k copies like the original title in the series, but the simulation market is still there. DCS and IL2 do big numbers, Arma 3 was a success and Uboat, Cold Waters and Wolfpack show the sub sim market is still here.

Until there's another Pacific sim , I'll keep playing SH 4.

CrabKey
11-11-19, 05:50 PM
Ditto Skipper44!

Traveller
12-22-19, 06:53 AM
I haven't played or modded Silent Hunter 3 or 4 in years. I'm now into tabletop wargames such as The Hunters and Silent Victory. Game play is much more satisfying, they're easier on the eyes, there are no more frustrating hardware / software issues, and I can add unlimited house rules to these types of games with no programming or hacking skills required. :)

propbeanie
12-22-19, 08:19 AM
Off-topic but - Good to "see" you Traveller!!! :salute:

Captain Mike
12-22-19, 08:59 AM
I stink at this simulation but I hope to get better.

THEBERBSTER
12-22-19, 09:20 AM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community & Wishing You A Merry Christmas > Captain Mike
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2027002&postcount=1)
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

Look at YouTube videos and you will learn a lot in a short space of time.

Jimbuna
12-22-19, 11:15 AM
Welcome to SubSim Mike :salute:

Aktungbby
12-22-19, 11:20 AM
Captain Mike!:Kaleun_Salute: after a very long silent run!:yeah:

gsand1
12-23-19, 04:50 AM
Greetings Captains,
Been running silent a while but thought I would check in after a LONG patrol. :Kaleun_Salute:
Been on SH4 since I found it and love it. Only gameplay mod I have is Guerilla Spyron. Really enjoy the way it plays out, especially out of Tulagi in '42. It is always a challenge running up and down the Slot.
Love the site and am very grateful for all the mods and the folks on here who are so helpful. My thanks to you all for picking up where Ubi left off. :Kaleun_Cheers:
Happy Holidays to all and stay safe out there!

Best,
Gerald

Jimbuna
12-23-19, 04:56 AM
Welcome to SubSim matey :salute:

THEBERBSTER
12-23-19, 05:39 AM
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community & Wishing You A Merry Christmas > gsand1 and apologies to gxsmith for missing your first post
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2027002&postcount=1)
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

Traveller
12-23-19, 06:53 AM
Off-topic but - Good to "see" you Traveller!!! :salute:

And good to see you, too! :salute:

fitzcarraldo
12-23-19, 07:41 AM
Welcome to SUBSIM mates!

SH4 is very live yet.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

Havan_IronOak
05-22-20, 03:59 PM
With the release of a new version of Version 1.1 of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition, I decided it was time to dust off my copy of SH4.

Still not up to doing all my own navigating but at least I'm reasonably competent at manual targeting this time around.

Just completed my first patrol with a silver star performance...

Sank a Jap Cruiser... using the cork in a bottle method - determined the convoy speed using the 3 minute sonar technique, went deep at 90° right on a task force's path, killed my engines, preset my target bearing and AOB using the table, popped up to periscope depth as soon as the leading destroyers passed, then loosed two as the cruiser crossed my forward target bearing. Two hits and down she goes. Of course as soon as that 2nd torpedo was loosed I dove back down and jinked a few times - changed course with the rudder hard over at 1/3 (silent running) to avoid the enraged destroyers.

In my "Best of all possible worlds" mindset, there are a few things I'd change about the game if I could. It seems to me that this game would be 100% better if I were able to set up some standing orders. After all, I'm not the only one on this sub.

I'd like to make a standing order to "Dive at Dawn" and run submerged until about lunch time, then surface the boat to clear the CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) buildup before returning to periscope depth amid the Hydrogen Dioxide (H2O) and running till dusk. Ideally I could determine what speeds I wanted the crew to maintain while surfaced and submerged as part of these orders.

Of course I'd expect to be called (and returned to normal time compression) for any of the other things that currently turn off time compression.

Ideally, I could also control separately whether or not the crew were to break time compression to notify me of shallow waters. I'm pretty careful when I lay in a course so this notification is more an annoyance than an aid.

Of course, fixing the ALT TAB bug that causes CO2 to not be reset when surfaced would be great as well. That is one of my biggest annoyances with the game.

XenonSurf
05-22-20, 04:18 PM
Currently FOTRSU 1.1 is the best mod around for SH4, it has the best interiors and the widest camera angles for a true immersive experience. Then, a lot of new ships added.
I would add an optional mod for it to make contacts all grey giving you a harder game - but please: only optional! That's about it, I have no other wishes, the mod is perfect if more traffic is added into its campaign, also with the new units, but the team is working on the mod, so there is hope :yep:

Alternative good mods are all those which allow free camera movement and clickable items inside the submarine:

TMO 2.5 + OTC
Ralles ModSoup (TMO + OTC + RSRDC)
RFB 2.0 (for those who like realism)

Then...There are mods to have playable ships in the game, but they all need a dedicated campaign, but otherwise they are very eye-candy and fun to play.

XS

Bilge_Rat
05-23-20, 07:16 AM
reinstalled SH4 a few months back, currently using a customized version of TMO25+RSRDC.

SH4 has a lot of flaws, but when it clicks, it is one of the most immersive sub game.