PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with Widescreen mods

misfitdreamer
06-24-14, 11:42 PM
Hey all,

I've been trying several widescreen mods in an attempt to run gwx 3.0 at 1366x768. Each time I get a "Silent Hunter 3 stopped working" error at launch. I've tried a couple different versions of Seedler's dll files. On his latest version I don't get an error, but a blank screen. I'm not sure if the game is running or not. I've got a intergrated card that switches to a GT540M on my laptop. Any ideas on how to get this bugger to work ?

vanjast
06-25-14, 05:30 AM
Usually the errors are due to not enough memory and/or video memory.
You might have to use smaller (Kbyte size) image files that the mods sometimes use.

Also with widescreen, unless the mod has centralised (screen centre) all the image GUI's, you're going to get offset and also distortion errors as the each resolution requires it's own aspect ratio.
There are a few common aspect ratios that'll work well, but oddball screen resolutions are a nightmare.
:arrgh!:

misfitdreamer
06-25-14, 03:58 PM
: / well, crap !

i've got 4 gb ram and 1 gb video ram, i would think that would be enough...

not willing to give up yet, i've tried installing the 4gb patch (via h.sie fix) and running sh3.exe in different windows settings (administrator, compatibility mode). still nothing. I also tried reinstalling dx9. the one area I haven't looked is in my nvidia contral panel.

I would really love to get conus's gwx widescreen working. anyone have success with a nvidia card ?

vanjast
06-26-14, 01:24 AM
: / well, crap !
i've got 4 gb ram and 1 gb video ram, i would think that would be enough...

I'll take a guess and say your problems here. If you're using the later Ram intensive mods GWX, and others like the Merchant fleet.. you're going to 'blow' your Video ram very quickly.

I take it you're running Win-XP... 4GB is probably enough for a minimal modded game. Uninstall one mod at a time, manual labour, but it's the only way to find the problem.

BigWalleye
06-26-14, 06:45 AM
I would really love to get conus's gwx widescreen working. anyone have success with a nvidia card ?

I have SH3 installed on an Alienware M11XR3, with the same graphics card configuration you have. CONUS' mod works fine for me, right out of the box. I did edit the d3d9.ini file to set the rez to 1366x768, instead of 1360x768. Perhaps that will help?