PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into DW-A question on how to start

Coral
03-30-14, 09:29 AM
I bought DW some time ago but was too lazy to get through the manual. Now that I am retired, I intend to try DW again. I have been reading about all the mods, but will probably start with no mods and just update the game to 1.04. What do you think of this method for a newbie?

Pisces
03-30-14, 09:43 AM
Iirc, the different mods do correct some game quirks or bugs left in v1.04. So by playing stock you will encounter some oddities and non-realistic behaviour. I can't think of anything specific though, it's been a while. But you will find that you will need to unlearn some tactics and behaviour that you grew accustomed to. I don't think the mods make it very much more difficult to play. So you might as wel start with them. But make sure you investigate what they change. There is usually extensive documentation supplied with them.

Hinrich Schwab
04-01-14, 02:57 PM
Iirc, the different mods do correct some game quirks or bugs left in v1.04...

You are right, for the most part on this. I know that Molon Labe's LWAMI does this and cleans up the sound profiles of the platforms, as well as adjusts sensor performance to something a bit more realistic. I know that there is a tangible difference between stock DW and LWAMI...especially in the first campaign mission as a 688i (Mission Start...Loading...We have been counterdetected...:o:doh::haha:).

blknight14
04-03-14, 08:34 AM
Much like the gentleman above, I bought DW ages ago but never really got into the depth (get the pun??...ok, bad, moving on) of the game until recently.

But for the life I me I can't figure out how to delete saved games. I know that sounds crazy (I can't even find the saved files) but can someone help me?

/bk

SilentPrey
04-03-14, 09:02 AM
Much like the gentleman above, I bought DW ages ago but never really got into the depth (get the pun??...ok, bad, moving on) of the game until recently.

But for the life I me I can't figure out how to delete saved games. I know that sounds crazy (I can't even find the saved files) but can someone help me?

/bk

Alright; saved games on my system are in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progr am Files (x86)\Sonalysts Combat Simulations\Dangerous Waters\Scenario

I found them by naming a save something that I could search for without getting too many other hits; you may need to do that if you're not running Windows 7 64.

Hope this helps.

SilentPrey
04-03-14, 09:10 AM
I bought DW some time ago but was too lazy to get through the manual. Now that I am retired, I intend to try DW again. I have been reading about all the mods, but will probably start with no mods and just update the game to 1.04. What do you think of this method for a newbie?

Should work. I ended up going to LWAMI because it corrected the issues I had with the stock game but I did put quite a bit of time into the stock game first and it's definitely playable.

My main issue with the stock game was that the sonar didn't behave the way everything I've read led me to believe that it should. When I read the description of LWAMI it seemed they had the same complaints I did.

banryu79
04-03-14, 09:39 AM
My main issue with the stock game was that the sonar didn't behave the way everything I've read led me to believe that it should. When I read the description of LWAMI it seemed they had the same complaints I did.
Sorry for my OT intrusion but where I can find a working link to download the last available version of this LWAMI mod?
Did you know if this LWAMI mod correct or improve the enemy AI?

SilentPrey
04-03-14, 12:48 PM
Sorry for my OT intrusion but where I can find a working link to download the last available version of this LWAMI mod?
Did you know if this LWAMI mod correct or improve the enemy AI?

Here is a link to LWAMI 3.11 right here on subsim.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3296

The manual covers all the changes that were made in detail; I'm pretty sure they did modify the AI but it's been a while since I read the manual.

Pisces
04-03-14, 05:36 PM
Alright; saved games on my system are in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progr am Files (x86)\Sonalysts Combat Simulations\Dangerous Waters\Scenario

I found them by naming a save something that I could search for without getting too many other hits; you may need to do that if you're not running Windows 7 64.

Hope this helps.Well, DW and SC wants to try to save files into the scenario folder in the game in Program Files. But ever since Vista came around Windows is much more protective of what happens there. If it detects an application is changing files or adds new ones then it puts them in this virtual store. But at your next reboot this will probably flushed. Certain actions are allowed by an administrator account if it responds in time to the UAC warning. But when the game is full screen you probably do not notice this.

Therefore it is perhaps better to change the default location when installing the game to avoid this cumbersome relocating of savegames. Provide your own folder for it, like c:\games\DangerousWaters, and this problem goes away for good.

banryu79
04-04-14, 01:11 AM
Here is a link to LWAMI 3.11 right here on subsim.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3296

The manual covers all the changes that were made in detail; I'm pretty sure they did modify the AI but it's been a while since I read the manual.
Thank you SilentPrey :salute:
I red the manual... what a fantastic work they made :up: