PDA

View Full Version : Crazy smoke bug

neigenoirejz
12-04-13, 06:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Jgbwufh.png

I get this bug randomly - even in calm weather with no wind. Is it a bug of the vanilla game or some mod conflict?

My current load order:

sobers see thru wake fix
Real Environment - Revision_3
Window_Lights_Redone_V1
SH5_7A_Conning_Fix
SH5 Longer Repairs v.1
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_byTheBeast
NewUIs_TDC_7_2_0_ByTheDarkWraith
TDW_Ship_Inertia_1_1_0
IRAI_0_0_39_ByTheDarkWraith
TDW_No_Hydrophone_On_Surface_No_Aircraft_Spotting_ 1_1_0
Sub_Bubbles_v0_0_3_ byTheBeast
Reworked Morale and Abilities v.1.1
OPEN HORIZONS II_full v2
R.S.D. - Reworked Submarine Damage v5.5 by vdr1981

THE_MASK
12-04-13, 07:48 PM
Some idiot suggested a rain drops effects on the screen when the devs were asking for suggestions about what users would like in the game :yep:

neigenoirejz
12-04-13, 07:54 PM
No, no, I mean the smoke itself. It stretches out endlessly. It happens a lot even in calm weather with no wind and with the ship not moving at all. Also, it happens kinda suddenly. Like when a torpedo hits the ship, the smoke appears instantly in this stretched out manner.

THE_MASK
12-04-13, 07:59 PM
Try this , enable anytime either on patrol or in port . If you don't like it then just unenable anytime .
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3962

THE_MASK
12-04-13, 08:02 PM
Check my mega mod list to see what mods go where and what the current versions are . You don't have to use the whole list , it just gives you an idea on where mods go in what order .

neigenoirejz
12-04-13, 08:05 PM
I'll try it out, thank you!

gap
12-05-13, 06:08 AM
Some idiot suggested a rain drops effects on the screen when the devs were asking for suggestions about what users would like in the game :yep:

call me idiot, but I like that effect :88) especially since you made it more discrete with your smaller water drops mod (now removed from download section, but still included in Dynamic Environment).

No, no, I mean the smoke itself. It stretches out endlessly. It happens a lot even in calm weather with no wind and with the ship not moving at all. Also, it happens kinda suddenly. Like when a torpedo hits the ship, the smoke appears instantly in this stretched out manner.

smoke spawning from damaged units is perfectly normal indeed, and it stretching along the horizontal plane is also normal, when its source is moving, or when there is wind. If I get you currectly, the problem is that smoke particles always have an horizontal speed, regardless of local\global wind that logically they should be subject to. If this is what you meant, there should be a solution to it (I hope an easy one). I promise I will have a look into the relevant particle generator :up:

neigenoirejz
12-05-13, 06:21 AM
Yes, that's exactly the problem. Thank you, gap.

The smokescreen mod is interesting, but not exactly what I was look for, sober. I will test the TDW's FX update mod, perhaps it tampers with smoke as well and the bug will be gone. Will post updates.

Edit: Nope, FX update doesn't fix this bug...

gap
12-05-13, 11:46 AM
Okay, I have created a quick mod which should obviate the problem. Get it from the link below:

https://www.mediafire.com/?vth5rdi57b8xde5

What I have done:

added a GlobalWind controller as child of the BAZA_FX_Fum_explozie node in Baza_FX.dat. I am not really sure that it is needed, but I have seen that funnel smoke and other particle effects affected by wind have one;

reduced by a factor 10 both wind coefficients (local and global) for all the bitmap particles composing BAZA_FX_Fum_explozie's particle generator.

Expected results:

Ideally, horizontal smoke trails like the one seen in your screenie at post #1 should still be possible when there is wind and/or when the damaged ship is moving at high speed; on the contrary, no wind and stationary targets should result in long smoke spirals raising almost vertically to the sky. In practice, some finetuning migh be required until we find the desired effect, but using the present mod you should be anyway able to spot some differences over the stock effect. :yep:

For testing:

For quick testing, I have added 3 test missions where a big steamer moving from W to E is closing to your position. Her course should make her an ideal target for a 90 deg shot when she will be at a range of ca. 5 km. In test missions #1 and #2 the steamer is moving at speed of 10 and 5 knots respectively. In the last mission, the same ship is anchored dead ahead of your boat.

In all three missions wind speed is 0 m/s. I suggest you playing with different wind speeds and directions during your tests. Changing them in New UI's is quite easy, if you have the English version of Windows. Otherwise, you can look for the 'WindHeading' and 'WindSpeed' lines in misge files (you can open them in Notepad), and change their settings to whatever you want.

Let me know if it works :salute:

neigenoirejz
12-05-13, 11:51 AM
Thank you so much! I'll test it ASAP and post results. I want to do some extensive testing though, because the bug seems to occur completely randomly - sometimes the smoke works perfectly fine.

neigenoirejz
12-05-13, 12:16 PM
Well, I tried all three missions and the smoke seems normal now. I will play the campaign for some hours to be sure.

Thank you again for your effort, gap! :)

gap
12-05-13, 12:21 PM
Well, I tried all three missions and the smoke seems normal now.

Do wind and ship speeds affect smoke direction in a gradual way now?
Screenies showing it much appreciated :D

I will play the campaign for some hours to be sure.

Sure, take your time!

Thank you again for your effort, gap! :)

My pleasure :salute:

Aktungbby
12-05-13, 12:58 PM
And a proper welcome aboard: neigenoirejz!:Kaleun_Salute:If you don't know the answer, you sure know where to find the answer!

tonschk
12-05-13, 02:51 PM
Me too :up:

call me idiot, but I like that effect :88) .

neigenoirejz
12-05-13, 03:47 PM
Do wind and ship speeds affect smoke direction in a gradual way now?
Screenies showing it much appreciated :D

I don't have screenshots at the moment, but it seems to me they do, yes. :)

And a proper welcome aboard: neigenoirejz!:Kaleun_Salute:If you don't know the answer, you sure know where to find the answer!Thanks! Yup. :D

V13dweller
12-06-13, 02:29 AM
First thing I noticed is that the smoke coming from the windows is blowing in the opposite direction to the smoke from the deck fire.:hmm2: