PDA

View Full Version : The 50 Shades effect

mapuc
12-02-13, 03:34 PM
Earlier today, during one of my coffee break, I sad an listen to a danish talk radio station.

It was in danish and I will not write everything he told us the listeners about what grown-up did.

He started with a question, how many of us have read this book 50 Shades of Grey and he told os story about grown-up's that had put their intime body parts in things like a toaster and other things.

He told us that there was a huge increase in call to police and fire dept. because people got their intime parts stuck in things or things got stuck in....

While sitting there and listen to what he had to say, my whole face was like this :o except my eyes was a lot bigger

You could understand if it was little child who got his or her finger stuck in a toaster a.s.o, but grown-up's !!!

Markus

TarJak
12-02-13, 03:37 PM
As BossMark would say "There's nowt as queer as folk. "

STEED
12-02-13, 03:44 PM
Todger in a toaster! :huh:

Herr-Berbunch
12-02-13, 04:05 PM
Well I'm not one to boast, so I'll just leave a picture. :03:

http://www.bm-cateringequipment.co.uk/userfiles/image/Dualit%20conv%20toaster.JPG

Cybermat47
12-02-13, 05:53 PM
They're turning it into a movie :dead:

mapuc
12-02-13, 05:56 PM
I haven't read the book and I'm not going to. This type of story is not my type of tea

Markus

Cybermat47
12-02-13, 05:57 PM
I haven't read the book and I'm not going to. This type of story is not my type of tea

Markus

I'm shocked that ANYONE would read it, let alone make a movie :huh:

Herr-Berbunch
12-02-13, 06:02 PM
They're turning it into a movie :dead:

What? Me and the toaster? She said it would be private, just between us. :wah:

u crank
12-02-13, 06:02 PM

Show off.:O:

mapuc
12-02-13, 06:03 PM

Those modern "human" or what they are called, those who tell us. what to wear and read if we want to be "IN" have spoken well about this book and if you want to be "IN" you must read this book or you are outside

I'm glad that I'm outside.

Markus

GoldenRivet
12-02-13, 08:28 PM
The problem is, women talked... they gossiped... they gabbed... they raved... they flapped their gums about this steamy 50 shades book and decided they were either (a) head over heels for kinky sex/BDSM lifestyle or (b) they decided they thought the book was stupid.

The problem with option a: you don't just decide one day you are into BDSM/kink etc that sort of thing is a lifestyle decision and if you go into it half assed or half cocked... your liable to come out regretting it only having half an ass or half a ... well... :-?

the point being, you dont just tie your partner up and start poking and prodding and sticking things in other things and slapping and tickling and whipping etc. Nor do you normally make a major lifestyle change based solely upon the latest best seller. (or movie or game - otherwise we would all be submarine commanders by now)

the things that take place in those books... these are things which you have to learn to do properly so as to avoid permanent bodily injury, or even death in the process. You and your partner find someone who knows what the hell they are doing, or a group that knows the ins and outs of this sort of business and you learn the ropes. (see what i did there?)

I cant think of anything more embarrassing than to have to go to the hospital to have some object removed from some orifice - unless of course it is being found dead with said object in said orifice.

d@rk51d3
12-02-13, 08:33 PM

Well, that plug is looking rather worn.

Red October1984
12-02-13, 10:29 PM

:rotfl2:

There was a guy on 1000 Ways to Die one time who was in the hospital for this very reason.

He died because he tried to shove the dull end of a handful of syringes where the sun don't shine.

:dead: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

IDIOT!

Armistead
12-02-13, 10:37 PM
A toaster, you've got be kidding. I can't believe what some people do. How do you even fit it in a toaster?...a vacuum cleaner I could understand...:D

TarJak
12-03-13, 01:24 AM
Armistead your wife wants her Hoover back.:D

Cybermat47
12-03-13, 01:53 AM

Hey... you're being played by Liam Neeson :rock:

Jimbuna
12-03-13, 06:29 AM

It is a three book trilogy..50 Shades of Grey, 5o Shades Darker and 50 Shades Freed.

Very popular in the UK last year and yes mrs buna read and enjoyed them as well.

Jimbuna
12-03-13, 06:34 AM

http://www.bm-cateringequipment.co.uk/userfiles/image/Dualit%20conv%20toaster.JPG

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2629/5oph.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/5oph.jpg/)

CaptainHaplo
12-03-13, 08:05 AM
The "kink" community has been dealing with the "fallout" from 50 shades for quite some time. People who think that the book reflects accurately on "the lifestyle" show up to munches and events with nary a clue.

Sadly, a book about a mentally ill millionaire who engages in kink as his own personal "therapy" - as told by the person he engages with - is simply not a good representation of the BDSM world.

Were the main "dom" character a real life person, I can tell you that I do not know of a community in the world that would be accepting of him as portrayed.

Wolferz
12-03-13, 08:53 AM
A toaster, you've got be kidding. I can't believe what some people do. How do you even fit it in a toaster?...a vacuum cleaner I could understand...:D

OK Doofy. You've cleaned enough for one day.

STEED
12-03-13, 09:48 AM
It is a three book trilogy..50 Shades of Grey, 5o Shades Darker and 50 Shades Freed.

Very popular in the UK last year and yes mrs buna read and enjoyed them as well.

Mrs buna "Not tonight jim I reading 50 shades..."
Jim "Woohoo no sex, here I come pub".

Jimbuna
12-03-13, 10:01 AM
Mrs buna "Not tonight jim I reading 50 shades..."
Jim "Woohoo no sex, here I come pub".

Back into the man cave with another can :)

GoldenRivet
12-03-13, 11:45 AM
The "kink" community has been dealing with the "fallout" from 50 shades for quite some time. People who think that the book reflects accurately on "the lifestyle" show up to munches and events with nary a clue.

Sadly, a book about a mentally ill millionaire who engages in kink as his own personal "therapy" - as told by the person he engages with - is simply not a good representation of the BDSM world.

Were the main "dom" character a real life person, I can tell you that I do not know of a community in the world that would be accepting of him as portrayed.

^this

Herr-Berbunch
12-03-13, 04:40 PM

That's why I showed the toaster I did (NO! Not like that!) as it's more accommodating. I occasionally used to fix them, but I swear I never broke them! :o

Penguin
12-03-13, 04:56 PM
Looks like the radio station, just like many other media outlets blew a report from the London Fire Department out of proportion: http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/LatestNewsReleases_2807201320.asp
"I don’t know whether it’s the Fifty Shades effect, but the number of incidents involving items like handcuffs seems to have gone up."
Given the popularity of the book, this can indeed be a correlation, more people trying out bondage. The other incidents mentioned, like the toaster thingy, however can hardly be tied to the book. People stick their willys in objects, or objects into themselves, well, since there are objects - that's why emergency personnel are always fun at parties (the parties I attend don't have awful lots of surgeons)

find someone who knows what the hell they are doing, or a group that knows the ins and outs of this sort of business and you learn the ropes.

Well I learned from a group that cable ties are not really a great device for tying limbs. Though it wasn't really consensual - we call this group of experts here 'Polizei' :know:. It can get very ouchy when you are in a paddy wagon for half an hour... :dead:

I've read half of the first book, untill I got bored. Really nothing more than a modern Cinderella, girl-meets-prince tale, wrapped up with some kinky sex, also not of very high literary quality. The cable tie stuff however was mentioned in the book, and rang an "hell, no!" inner alarm. As far as I read they were not used, but it was hinted at using them to tie a body...:shifty: - this was the only unsafe practice which struck my eye, no toasters mentioned.

Cybermat47
12-03-13, 06:28 PM
I've read half of the first book, untill I got bored. Really nothing more than a modern Cinderella, girl-meets-prince tale, wrapped up with some kinky sex, also not of very high literary quality.

Did I mention that it started out as Twilight fanfiction? That explains the crappy literary quality, and the high amount of sex :har:

But I'll be honest, it sounds more interesting than Twilight. :)

But they both probably suck :D

Platapus
12-03-13, 07:50 PM

In our workshops we spent a lot of time identifying the differences between fantasy fiction and reality of BDSM relationships. Erotic fiction is great. It helps people explore their fantasies and can give couples some very hot ideas. But I have never found any scene fiction come close to the complexities, depth, and frankly satisfaction of a real consensual BDSM relationship.

I think 50 shades was so popular was that it was marketed as "legitimate" fiction so that people did not feel uncomfortable buying it. Honestly, the writing was rather disappointing and anyone who had spent any time in the scene would recognize that this was actually one of the lower quality fiction out there.

But the good news is that BDSM is becoming more mainstream. If it helps one person feel more comfortable about their fantasies and can lead them to join a legitimate BDSM educational group, it is a win for the community.

What I fear is that there will be uneducated and inexperienced people who will read these books and try to implement them. That can be damaging not only physically but emotionally.

Madox58
12-03-13, 09:19 PM
I swear! If the Wife brings that book in the house?
I'll tie her up and beat her with a soft whip, softly!
:hmph:

CaptainHaplo
12-03-13, 10:23 PM
But I have never found any scene fiction come close to the complexities, depth, and frankly satisfaction of a real consensual BDSM relationship.

THIS! No "scene" or "play" can substitute the reality of a relationship that takes time and effort to develop and build the trust that is necessary for an "s" to truly submit. One reason why I don't "Top" people or play with anyone outside of a relationship. No slam on those that do - but it just doesn't work for me.

But the good news is that BDSM is becoming more mainstream. If it helps one person feel more comfortable about their fantasies and can lead them to join a legitimate BDSM educational group, it is a win for the community.

And for the person! Finding serious people who are concerned about the important things - consent, safety, responsibility, growth - can keep new folks from getting in too deep too fast. We can help stop the "frenzy" that new folks tend to get into. People don't just jump into the deep end of a pool if they don't know how to swim - and they should apply the same learning process to D/s or S&M. Just to be clear - we should always be learning.

What I fear is that there will be uneducated and inexperienced people who will read these books and try to implement them. That can be damaging not only physically but emotionally.

And one real issue we have seen is a few so call "doms" who skimmed a few pages of 50 shades and determined that they can do anything they want to a sub provided they claim to be dominant. Well, someone can call themselves lordmasterdominantoftheuniverseTom but it just doesn't make it so.

If anyone has a serious interest in the life - or a curiosity about it and is willing to hear reality vs the aggrandized perception, I encourage you to reach out to your local community. If your not sure how to find your local community - feel free to PM myself or someone like Platapus for info on how to start looking and what to expect.

By all means - if you find an active community - attend a munch or 6 before you do anything else. Meet people in safe environments, watch how they interact in regular environments and see if they show a sense of maturity and responsibility in their actions before you "do" anything. Always place consent and safety at the forefront.

Wolferz
12-04-13, 10:54 AM
A Masochist exits a grocery store one day and immediately collides with a passing Sadist. The sadist apologizes profusely while helping the masochist pick up his scattered groceries.
"I didn't hurt you did I?" quizzed the sadist.

The masochist replies;" Just a little but it's OK. I'm a masochist and I enjoy pain" The sadist eyes his new victim with anticipation while telling the masochist that he's a sadist who enjoys doling out pain. The sadist invites the masochist to his home where he promptly ties the fellow up in a corner.
The masochist notices a display of whips on the wall and asks in a quivering anticipation; "Are you going to beat me with those?"

The sadist just grins broadly and replies; "No"

GoldenRivet
12-04-13, 11:32 AM
A Masochist exits a grocery store one day and immediately collides with a passing Sadist. The sadist apologizes profusely while helping the masochist pick up his scattered groceries.
"I didn't hurt you did I?" quizzed the sadist.

The masochist replies;" Just a little but it's OK. I'm a masochist and I enjoy pain" The sadist eyes his new victim with anticipation while telling the masochist that he's a sadist who enjoys doling out pain. The sadist invites the masochist to his home where he promptly ties the fellow up in a corner.
The masochist notices a display of whips on the wall and asks in a quivering anticipation; "Are you going to beat me with those?"

The sadist just grins broadly and replies; "No"

:haha::haha::haha::up: