PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible and how? Wake rendering distance...

vdr1981
10-22-13, 09:40 AM
...to increase waves rendering distance. This is probable the reason why AI gunners are so damn precise from long range , even with with drastically slowed down barrels elevations speeds. Destroyers are probably gliding on perfectly smooth surface and AI just can't miss...

plj
10-22-13, 09:51 AM
....all one needs for that accuracy is 2 levels.... press fire only when both are level and do it fast....

I presume you mean wave and not wake like the titel says ? That would be a massive hit on CPU I think...

volodya61
10-22-13, 09:55 AM
All the objects in the SH5 world are rendered from digital to visual mode at a distance about 40 km.. I think waves are included in the 'all objects'..

vdr1981
10-22-13, 10:09 AM
I presume you mean wave and not wake like the titel says ? That would be a massive hit on CPU I think...

Yes, waves, sry...

vdr1981
10-22-13, 10:10 AM
All the objects in the SH5 world are rendered from digital to visual mode at a distance about 40 km.. I think waves are included in the 'all objects'..

I don't get you there? You're saying that waves are rendered up to 40 km in SH5?:o

volodya61
10-22-13, 10:13 AM
I don't get you there? You're saying that waves are rendered up to 40 km in SH5?:o
Yes.. SH rendered (visible) world is about 39-40 km..

vdr1981
10-22-13, 10:16 AM
Yes.. SH rendered (visible) world is about 39-40 km..
No doubt about that but it looks like wave and therefore ship's wake effect is limited to something like 5-6km, don't you think so?:hmmm:

EDIT: How can I increase binoculars magnification? I wont to take a closer look at those distanced destroyers...Uboatsensor.sim?

gap
10-22-13, 10:19 AM

Yes, I agree with Volodya.

You should try setting shipborne guns to their historical traverse/elevation rates (you got my spreadsheet for it), set trav/elev tolerance factors and max error angles high enough (I think you have already done it) and play with Waves amplitude and Waves attenuation parameters in Sim.cfg file. But be careful with the last two parameters: they have a big effect both on player's sub and on AI surface units, especially small ones as tugs, junks and PT boats :yep:

See the following post by Ducimus for further detail:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1806010&postcount=6

If you decide messing with them, make sure to coordinate with Rongel, who is also tweaking U-boat's pitch and roll :03:

gap
10-22-13, 10:21 AM
EDIT: How can I increase binoculars magnification? I wont to take a closer look at those distanced destroyers...Uboatsensor.sim?

no, you should look into cameras.cam :up:

plj
10-22-13, 10:23 AM
No doubt about that but it looks like wave and therefore ship's wake effect is limited to something like 5-6km, don't you think so?:hmmm:

There is something called 'external cam' ... point, hold shift, press w .. wait ?
The fact is that these platforms are a LOT more stable, being deeper in the water with more weight.

vdr1981
10-22-13, 10:29 AM
Tnx all guys! :up:

Regarding historical data and AI veteran/elite precision , anything larger then 1 for barrel elev speed and AI will punch you right between your eyes from 7 km away in less than 10 sec. Now, this can't be "historically correct"...:D

vdr1981
10-22-13, 10:35 AM
There is something called 'external cam' ... point, hold shift, press w .. wait ?

That is the catch Plj...If I move external cam closer to destroyer, than also wake effect kicks in , and destroyer starts to loose his precision...

gap
10-22-13, 10:50 AM
Tnx all guys! :up:

Regarding historical data and AI veteran/elite precision , anything larger then 1 for barrel elev speed and AI will punch you right between your eyes from 7 km away in less than 10 sec. Now, this can't be "historically correct"...:D

Historical data is "historically correct" by definition. If it doesn't yield realistic effects with high veterancy levels, then the problem is either in veterancy bonuses or somewhere else, but not obviously in guns' training rates.

On the other hand, if your plan is fixing a flaw by introducing a worst flaw, i.e. guns training as slow as a snail, you might as well scrap their wpn_cannon controller, and keep their 3d model as adornment :03:

vdr1981
10-22-13, 12:17 PM
On the other hand, if your plan is fixing a flaw by introducing a worst flaw, i.e. guns training as slow as a snail, you might as well scrap their wpn_cannon controller, and keep their 3d model as adornment

The worst flaw is what we have now. Any kind of fix would be great improvement over this nonsense, temporally if nothing else...

I must say that I noticed certain repulsion from your side towards slowing down barrels elevation speeds, which is, so far, the only solution which actually gives some results when dealing with this problem. AI guns can look like two balloons on a stick as far as I'm considered, IF we can reach historically confirmed hit ratio from given distances...

If you have any ideas how to solve this issue with different approach, I'm eager to help, but if you don't or if we need again 1 or 2 years of research in order to solve this "correctly" , then , I'm afraid, it is the time to consider some alternatives.

gap
10-22-13, 01:29 PM
Destabilizing the guns and/or dumbing down the infallible veteran AI gunners is the way to follow. You yourself had started moving in the right direction when you looked into the tolerance factors and discovered the odd wave attenuation issue which gives the title to this thread.

If you are looking for a compromise, try increasing waves strenght (many times I pointed you to the two wave mech factors in sim.cfg but you keep ignoring my suggestion), raise ships' center of mass and decrease their L/R drag. Maybe you won't fix the gun issue but at last you will discover how to make ships to capsize. :D

If you prefer, give AI guns ridiculously low elevation rates. You will please the pirate harboring within us (WOW, finally free to scamper on the surface shooting up our deckgun against defenceless targets :arrgh!:), but you will also condemn enemy and ally ships to an horrible death when they will need to face their first air raid.

Do it, but don't call it realistic, please. :)

vdr1981
10-22-13, 03:51 PM
If you prefer, give AI guns ridiculously low elevation rates. You will please the pirate harboring within us (WOW, finally free to scamper on the surface shooting up our deckgun against defenceless targets :arrgh!:), but you will also condemn enemy and ally ships to an horrible death when they will need to face their first air raid.

Do it, but don't call it realistic, please. :)

Pirate harboring?! If you like, I could upload a video of Tribal destroyer in action with elev.speed of 0.7 degrees per sec. and fire angle limits of 4 degrees... Than you can compare it with same situation using default settings...
If not, never mind than, I wont bother you any more with this issue...:-?

P.S.
And yes, to capsize a ship is very possible in SH5...They don't capsize with current settings probably because of the strange/low flotability values in damage zones description, like 13,6 ect...
http://s6.postimg.org/rf0sanje9/SH5_Img_2013_10_22_21_34_48.jpg

CaliEs
10-22-13, 04:33 PM
You should try setting shipborne guns to their historical traverse/elevation rates (you got my spreadsheet for it)

Spreadsheet? Would be interesting to look at it. Link?

CaliEs
10-22-13, 04:38 PM
! If you like, I could upload a video of Tribal destroyer in action

This!

gap
10-22-13, 04:43 PM
Spreadsheet? Would be interesting to look at it. Link?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/htnbngcyqwtu8ac/guns_data.xlsx :up:

CaliEs
10-22-13, 04:53 PM
Thxs for link

gap
10-22-13, 05:08 PM
Thxs for link

My pleasure :salute:

gap
10-23-13, 04:45 AM
If you like, I could upload a video of Tribal destroyer in action with elev.speed of 0.7 degrees per sec. and fire angle limits of 4 degrees...

Do it, please, and make sure to put also a couple of Stuka's in your video. Unless the ballistics of this game are irreparably broken, I see it physically impossible for such a borked weapon to even attempt leading a flying and/or fast moving object. Not to mention the fact that for obtaining realistic gun ranges at a max elevation of 4 deg, you would be forced to set some unrealistically tight ballistic trajectories. :yep:

I don't ignore the problem you are trying to address Vecko, and I appreciate your efforts but, believe me, the path you want to follow leads to a blind alley, and it might cause more oddities than it solves. My usual two cents, indeed :salute:

vdr1981
10-23-13, 09:47 AM
I never said that i will use same elev. values for AA guns, no way...They are not so much problematic because they are not used from large distances...

OK, here we go...:)
Gryf test mission, destroyer skill veteran, guns elev values (not AA guns) 0.5!
Recording is very choppy due large stress on my PC with Fraps... :nope:

What is important is a hit/miss ratio which can be tuned to match historical data as much as possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOeYB6JecIE&feature=youtu.be

gap
10-23-13, 10:29 AM
Okay cool. :cool:

I am still of the idea that gun's accuracy must be addressed through wave settings, ship physics settings, AI scripts or better through a combination of the former factors. Since you are convinced of the contrary, go on with your project; I am sure many SH5 players will enjoy your mod :up: