PDA

View Full Version : Contacts dancing & rotating around nav map

wahchewie
10-14-13, 10:59 PM
Hey All,

Jumping into the modern tech subs after 8 years of ww2 (silent hunter should clearly have gone cold war)

Uhm. So.

Especially When trying to locate other subs; what seems to happen a lot of the time is I Pick them up on the narrow band first. I Check the bearing. change across to the broadband system and mark on the same bearing, poof, got a bearing on the nav map.

Now what happens is they jump around everywhere on the map. Especially if i Change course. Left to right, doing 360 degree spins around my sub... its crazy.

This also seems to happen with some surface contacts too.

What the heck is going on and how do i fix this?

Molon Labe
10-15-13, 07:25 AM
Refer to the manual---check the Towed Array Contacts section of the chapter for your platform's sonar station.

Pisces
10-15-13, 11:54 AM
Yup, the magic word is "Mirror Contacts". Each TA-contact has a mirror counterpart on the other side of the TA line. Once you turn, the mirror moves in accordance with twice your course change (and a bit of contact own drift). The contact that doesn't drift (much) after the turn, is the right one.

tippership
10-16-13, 03:03 PM
Um, call me crazy, but i thought that when the contacts start jumping around in the way he's described(which does happen) that it is the AI fiddling with one or two parameters in TMA, while Mirror contacts ACTUALLY SHOW as double contacts that are both marked

(For the times it happens during non -turns, indeed a mirror -contact will travel erratically during a turn, but this happens at other times as well)

Pisces
10-17-13, 07:04 AM
TMA-autocrew fiddling with the contact does make de contact appear in widely different places on the map. But it is usually along the same bearing, only changing in range. Afaik, it doesn't fix one or more parameters of the contact solution, like the player can.

The description of the OP is a massive change in bearing, especially after a turn of ownship. That's a dead giveaway of having chosen the imaginary contact.... or a helo on your tail.

When the Auto-TMA crew is enabled it drops the mirror contact almost instantly. It seems to be omniscient about where the target is, even with just 1 bearing line.

Zander
10-17-13, 01:42 PM
TMA-autocrew fiddling with the contact does make de contact appear in widely different places on the map. But it is usually along the same bearing, only changing in range. Afaik, it doesn't fix one or more parameters of the contact solution, like the player can.

The description of the OP is a massive change in bearing, especially after a turn of ownship. That's a dead giveaway of having chosen the imaginary contact.... or a helo on your tail.

When the Auto-TMA crew is enabled it drops the mirror contact almost instantly. It seems to be omniscient about where the target is, even with just 1 bearing line.

He could study this video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltnjD-avdkg
and download it here http://www.subguru.com/downloads.html