PDA

View Full Version : Detonating Torpedoes

biosthetique
09-13-13, 02:24 PM
I looked at the possibility of detonating your own torpedo as long as it is wired.

I searched in the DW thick user manual and found i.e for the Seawolf page 12-40 that the control of a wire torpedo is limited to Heading, Enable, Pre-Enable and Shutdown.

I tried in game the shutdown option, and it shuts down the torpedo without exploding it.

Does anyone know if there is a Command Detonate option in SW or one of its MOD?

Thanks a lot!

biosthetique
10-30-13, 01:05 PM
Now it is official, does anyone have a solution to detonate torpedoes as long as they are still wired!...

http://defensetech.org/2013/10/28/navy-deploying-new-anti-torpedo-technology/#more-21660

And the Torpedo anti-torpedo from Atlas-Elektronik:

http://www.atlas-elektronik.com/what-we-do/naval-weapons/seaspider/

Pisces
10-30-13, 06:32 PM
Afaik you can't. Maybe one of the mods changes the torpedo script where you could press the enable butten x number of times in a patern, and it detonates. But I'm pretty sure it does not go with a bang in stock.

Those links are great and all for real-life reference, but you are still playing this game. And it's a simulation, but only to some extent. There is no guarantee that real life equals simulated game.

Nexus7
11-03-13, 04:14 AM
Now that you bring up this topic, comes to mind: technology is able to shut down rockets (Patriot batteries and similar) since many years now, shouldnt the same, in the water, be much much easier with the reduced dimensions (limited 3D) and much lower speed?.....
And my answer to this (speculation) is:
1. Rockets are much more used than torpedoes as offence (generally)
2. Rockets are visible

Playing mostly subs, with Sub Command to learn to evade was probably the most demanding (and rewarding) part of the game, CM's could not detonate torpedoes. With DW CM's can. That surprised me from Sonalyst, and I've seen this as a "bad joke". Later on i speculated it would represent some kind of new anti-torpedo capability, and now there's evidence of such possibility.

So what's next?
I guess it's no longer 007-like stuff to think to destroy a torpedo with an high energy laser ray :o

What should subs fire?