PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

c13Garrison
09-04-13, 12:08 PM
From what I've seen and heard RR would be ideally armed in his intellectual quiver to address this, but its probably so basic that many others could answer it too.

I can install games & whatnot & whatever on my machine no problem, use it completely to my heart's content, but every now and then (once every 6 months or so) it will refuse me permission to do something because I'm not Admin. Case in point, typing over the 'Skywalker' name in the SHIV files and trying to replace it with 'Sullivan'.

I am the only user on my computer. How could it not think I am Admin? :06:

in_vino_vomitus
09-04-13, 12:34 PM
From what I've seen and heard RR would be ideally armed in his intellectual quiver to address this, but its probably so basic that many others could answer it too.

I can install games & whatnot & whatever on my machine no problem, use it completely to my heart's content, but every now and then (once every 6 months or so) it will refuse me permission to do something because I'm not Admin. Case in point, typing over the 'Skywalker' name in the SHIV files and trying to replace it with 'Sullivan'.

I am the only user on my computer. How could it not think I am Admin? :06:

You still have to give yourself administrator privileges though - i agree RR is probably the best to answer this - certainly better than me...

Rockin Robbins
09-04-13, 02:28 PM
Question #1: are you using Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8? Any of those operating systems, in agreement with just about every distribution of Linux and Apple OSs, believe that they have a duty to protect certain special files by requiring admin privileges.

Windows likes to protect system files, mostly in the /Windows directory and program files in either the /Program Files or /Program Files (x86) directories. Unless you are logged in as an administrator, you cannot change these files. Believe it or not, I agree with the situation and it's about time that Windows caught up.

Why in the world would I agree with limiting your use of your machine. YOUR MACHINE!!! Ahem.... I feel much better now. Well, it's because there are bad guys out there who do occasionally hack into machines. And there is bad malware (there's a saying: bad malware! As if there were good malware... you have to consider the source here.:D) out there that love to hack into your machine. Without administrator access their potential damage is limited.

Same goes for you. You are by default a garden variety user without adminstrator privileges. So there are files you cannot edit.

But you can! Whatever program you are using to edit, all you have to do is use the start menu (assuming you're not being tortured by the despicable Windows 8. I don't even WANT to know how that one works....) to find the program, notepad for instance. Right click notepad and select "run as administrator" from the start menu there. Now you can edit your file.

Windows 8 claims you don't need a start menu! I suppose you could use Windows Explorer to do the same thing. I might start up the beast in my secure cage (Virtualbox) to check it out tonight.

c13Garrison
09-04-13, 02:35 PM
Yoda has spoken! Thank you, the right-clicking makes it easy as cake. ...pie. -and engagingly informative post as well. No more Skywalkers on my boats!

I do use Win7 for the record.

Rockin Robbins
09-04-13, 03:29 PM
Yes, pie is always better than cake.:woot:

joefremont
09-04-13, 05:13 PM
Cake is so yummy!:up:

c13Garrison
09-04-13, 05:44 PM
Lol! :har: Two people commented on pie vs cake. The world is a wonderful place.

Rockin Robbins
09-04-13, 08:38 PM
Psssst! There's another way to do it. Over at Softpedia they have a prograom called Grant Admin Full Control (http://www.pcusersworld.com/2012/09/w7tweaks-grant-admin-full-control.html). It even gives you an Explorer right-click context menu item, grant admin full control (of course!).

So you go to your SH4 directory, get into the moddable files, right-click them one by one and select grant admin full control (say that 10 times really fast). That frees up those files for your editing without editing as administrator.

I don't know that it's any easier, but it does allow you to edit using any software you wish without opening the editor as administrator. Maybe you'd be using Notepad for some things, WinMerge for others, or my favorite, Notepad++ (don't even think about it, OF COURSE these are free. I hesitate to use commercial software when the free stuff is as good or better).

You must remember that I'm an Ubuntu Linux user and EXPECT the best stuff in life to be free.http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/yay-4.gif

Less money for important stuff means more money available for GAMES!

fireftr18
09-04-13, 09:05 PM
Lol! :har: Two people commented on pie vs cake. The world is a wonderful place.
Adding icecream to either makes it even better.:D

c13Garrison
09-04-13, 09:31 PM
Ok.

I AM HIJACKING MY OWN THREAD!!!

Adding Icecream to Cake OR Pie is heresy of the highest order!! I have this argument with my daughters and mother every holiday meal or birthday! Lol

Adding icecream to Anything alters the preferred cream texture of aforementioned icecream and makes the cake or pie soupy, as well as diluting its flavour! Vino, you've got to back me on this- consider the global consequences!

...my mother also thinks cheddar cheese on apple pie is a good thing, when all right thinking people must surely agree that such an act berefts the humanity from all involved.

Icecream must be pure! Cake must be pure! Pie must be pure! Ze must not intermix!!

...ahem. Sorry, almost went Faulty Towers there...

:D

BigWalleye
09-04-13, 09:45 PM
In Chicago, they generally know how to spell "flavor.":) (I'm always amazed that the English misspell so many words in English! Color, defense, check.)

And wasn't it Fawlty Towers?

c13Garrison
09-04-13, 10:11 PM
Guilty. I clearly have an addiction to the letter 'U'. I'll find a 12 step program.

in_vino_vomitus
09-05-13, 02:44 AM
In Chicago, they generally know how to spell "flavor.":) (I'm always amazed that the English misspell so many words in English! Color, defense, check.)

Let's consider, firstly, why the language is called English, and call that a big fat clue shall we? Then we can talk about on which side of the Atlantic the correct spellings are found....

and C13G' I'm sorry, but I can't support you when it comes to Ice Cream shaming - Call me permissive if you like, how a person chooses to eat their ice cream, and with what, is solely a matter for their own conscience.

I know there are people who say that ice cream only appears as a menu option to accompany Apple Pie in order to test the faithful, but if that's true then why do the same people eat Baked Alaska and consume root beer floats? - you tell me - which is the greater abomination?

and before you start s******ing and pointing - I happen to take my ice cream straight - I just support the right of anyone to consume it as they see fit - as long as all parties consent and the stuff doesn't come out of a tap on a machine.

Fact: Margaret Thatcher was part of the team that created Mr Whippy - I don't think any more needs to be said on that subject......

BigWalleye
09-05-13, 06:37 AM
Let's consider, firstly, why the language is called English, and call that a big fat clue shall we? Then we can talk about on which side of the Atlantic the correct spellings are found....

'Scuse me, IVV. 'Twas written in jest. It's your language, you can use as many extra letters as you like.:) (But "defence"? That's offencive.:rotfl2:)

Up Nort'. it's called Kool-Whip, and we love it! In fact, I'm going to have some right now on my apple pie a la mode. Yummm!

Moonlight
09-05-13, 06:48 AM
Psssst! There's another way to do it. Over at Softpedia they have a prograom called Grant Admin Full Control (http://www.pcusersworld.com/2012/09/w7tweaks-grant-admin-full-control.html). It even gives you an Explorer right-click context menu item, grant admin full control (of course!).

So you go to your SH4 directory, get into the moddable files, right-click them one by one and select grant admin full control (say that 10 times really fast). That frees up those files for your editing without editing as administrator.

I don't know that it's any easier, but it does allow you to edit using any software you wish without opening the editor as administrator. Maybe you'd be using Notepad for some things, WinMerge for others, or my favorite, Notepad++ (don't even think about it, OF COURSE these are free. I hesitate to use commercial software when the free stuff is as good or better).

You must remember that I'm an Ubuntu Linux user and EXPECT the best stuff in life to be free.http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/yay-4.gif

Less money for important stuff means more money available for GAMES!
There is a simpler way to bypass the UAC security problem and that is to take ownership of the Ubisoft directory.
Find the install of SH4, my example is D:\Program Files(x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific. Right-click the Ubisoft folder and select properties, select the Security tab at the top, and then select Users (your name-PC\Users), it will show you in the Permissions for Users section if you have got full control of it or not. If you haven't, select the Edit tab and select the Users (your name-PC\Users) again and then select Full control, make sure everything is ticked except the Special permissions box and select Apply. That should stop all the UAC nonsense from your Win7 OS, you should only do this for software that you trust though, so be careful how you use this feature. :)

Rockin Robbins
09-05-13, 08:03 AM
There is a simpler way to bypass the UAC security problem and that is to take ownership of the Ubisoft directory.
Find the install of SH4, my example is D:\Program Files(x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific. Right-click the Ubisoft folder and select properties, select the Security tab at the top, and then select Users (your name-PC\Users), it will show you in the Permissions for Users section if you have got full control of it or not. If you haven't, select the Edit tab and select the Users (your name-PC\Users) again and then select Full control, make sure everything is ticked except the Special permissions box and select Apply. That should stop all the UAC nonsense from your Win7 OS, you should only do this for software that you trust though, so be careful how you use this feature. :)
OOOO, that's an exact analog of how we do it in Linux! I always turn UAC off in Win 7 and rely on other protection schemes. You can do that in Control Panel.

I can't wait for all these game companies to realize that when you have a free operating system (that IS ready for prime time!) and free system and utility software that people are left with lots more money to buy games. The lack of games is the only thing holding Linux back. Even Apple OSX is Linux/Unix based because it really is much more robust. When I play Counterstrike Source on Steam in Linux I don't notice any difference from the Windows version except that I have more FPS in Linux.

Interestingly, in Ubuntu, I leave protection on and do your procedure above or do the sudo thing in a terminal, or you can do a sudo terminal, or............. I guess when I'm in Windows I have a Windows user mindset!:rotfl2:

HertogJan
09-05-13, 08:07 AM
Pie, Cake, Ice cream...

Don't know what the fuss is all about :06:

I take my ice cream with a slice of cake or pie on the side with a boat load of whipped cream :rock:

in_vino_vomitus
09-05-13, 11:04 AM
'Scuse me, IVV. 'Twas written in jest. It's your language, you can use as many extra letters as you like.:) (But "defence"? That's offencive.:rotfl2:)

Up Nort'. it's called Kool-Whip, and we love it! In fact, I'm going to have some right now on my apple pie a la mode. Yummm!

It's cool - I was joking too - I guess I could have done more to make that obvious - besides, I admire someone who has a strong opinion and is prepared to stand by it - I can tell you're not the type to sit on the fense about this....

On the other hand, Kool-Whip - Mr Whippy - call it what you will, it's an abomination...........

BigWalleye
09-05-13, 08:40 PM
Thanks. Never was one to sit on de fense. (Ow! That made me wince!)

Kool-Whip is the national dish of Up Nort', yah. Along with brats and hot dish, you betcha! Kool-Whip on Jello is the ultimate comfort food.

Are we OT yet?

in_vino_vomitus
09-06-13, 03:07 AM
Thanks. Never was one to sit on de fense. (Ow! That made me wince!)

Kool-Whip is the national dish of Up Nort', yah. Along with brats and hot dish, you betcha! Kool-Whip on Jello is the ultimate comfort food.

Are we OT yet?

I don't know - Does OT mean getting reacquainted with our breakfast?

Not sure if we have a national dish in the North of England - If we do it will involve chips, but certainly in this corner of the North West, the Butter Pie is the weapon of choice to punish our arteries with :)

BigWalleye
09-06-13, 06:11 AM
There really is a Butter Pie? I thought it was just a Lennon-McCartney lyrical mashup.

in_vino_vomitus
09-06-13, 06:28 AM
Yep - it's more like a potato and butter pie, but calling them that, doesn't do them justice - I'm kind of assuming brats refers to a type of sausage - perhaps made from unruly children - But what's hot dish?

BigWalleye
09-06-13, 10:01 AM
Yes, brats are a sausage - familiar for bratwurst. Never inquired about the meat. Figure that where sausage is concerned, ignorance is the best policy.

Hot dish is an Up Nort' specialty. It's a fairly generic term for a casserole, which MUST contain one item from each of these categories: cooked starch (pasta, rice, diced potatoes), diced cooked meat (chicken, sausage, beef, pork, venison, whatever), canned condensed soup (usually cream soup - cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of asparagus - but let your creativity run wild!) and may contain anything else, at the cook's discretion. Ingredients are combined and placed in a casserole dish, topped with either crumbled potato chips or crumbled canned fried onion rings (It is NOT a hot dish without one of these toppings!) and heated in the oven until browned on top, Serve with beer and your preferred condiment - ketchup, tabasco, sriracha, A-1, to taste. Makes a fortifying and warming meal when the temperature outside dips to -40. (And it does up here.) Known in other parts of the country as Methodist pie. (Refers to the Methodist tradition of potluck suppers, not to an ingredient. At least, not as far as is discussed.)

Don't they eat the justly infamous black pudding in your area?

in_vino_vomitus
09-06-13, 12:09 PM
Yes, brats are a sausage - familiar for bratwurst. Never inquired about the meat. Figure that where sausage is concerned, ignorance is the best policy.

Hot dish is an Up Nort' specialty. It's a fairly generic term for a casserole, which MUST contain one item from each of these categories: cooked starch (pasta, rice, diced potatoes), diced cooked meat (chicken, sausage, beef, pork, venison, whatever), canned condensed soup (usually cream soup - cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of asparagus - but let your creativity run wild!) and may contain anything else, at the cook's discretion. Ingredients are combined and placed in a casserole dish, topped with either crumbled potato chips or crumbled canned fried onion rings (It is NOT a hot dish without one of these toppings!) and heated in the oven until browned on top, Serve with beer and your preferred condiment - ketchup, tabasco, sriracha, A-1, to taste. Makes a fortifying and warming meal when the temperature outside dips to -40. (And it does up here.) Known in other parts of the country as Methodist pie. (Refers to the Methodist tradition of potluck suppers, not to an ingredient. At least, not as far as is discussed.)

Don't they eat the justly infamous black pudding in your area?

Yeah - Who was it that said "He who loves sausages or the law should watch neither being made" Bismarck is ringing a bell....

Hot dish sounds good - I'm saving the recipe - will be trying it out soon...

There's nothing infamous about Black Pudding - they do seem more common in Lancashire and Yorkshire and the further South you go the less chance of getting a proper one. The plastic-covered supermarket variety are ok, but really you can only fry them - you need to get the real deal from a butcher - boiled for 10 mins and served with mustard - Delish :O:......

Does this count as a thread hijack? - I mean the OP nudged it in theis direction before he disappeared......

Food trivia time: What's the connection between Doughnuts, JFK and Bismarck......

BigWalleye
09-06-13, 01:26 PM
I tried Black Pudding in Edinburgh and in York. Tried second time because I thought the Scots might have gotten it wrong. They didn't. It may be am ethnic thing, like lutefisk or kimchi. Liked the pork and beans for breakfast, though.

OK, I'll bite. (Poor choice of words, perhaps.) What's the connection between doughnuts, JFK, and Bismarck?

in_vino_vomitus
09-06-13, 01:53 PM
Pork and Beans - I thought that was a C ration delicacy?

As for the other thing - A very tenuous connection - JFK, famously once said "I am a Doughnut" to the people of Berlin, and in Germany at least, doughnuts are sometimes called Bismarcks, because he [Bismarck] was reputed to be rather fond of them...

Admiral Halsey
09-06-13, 02:35 PM
Pork and Beans - I thought that was a C ration delicacy?

As for the other thing - A very tenuous connection - JFK, famously once said "I am a Doughnut" to the people of Berlin, and in Germany at least, doughnuts are sometimes called Bismarcks, because he [Bismarck] was reputed to be rather fond of them...

That whole thing about JFK calling himself a "Jelly Doughnut" is completely false. If you don't believe me just ask a German what "Ich bin ein Berliner" means.(Or just look it up on Wikipedia.)

BigWalleye
09-06-13, 03:51 PM
Here's a sampling of the results of googling baked beans uk breakfast:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k4509078-Traditional_english_breakfast_Beans_vs_No_Beans-United_Kingdom.html
http://voices.yahoo.com/baked-beans-toast-so-typically-british-perfect-6392304.html?cat=22
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090502203724AAIUR6p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_breakfast
http://www.englishbreakfastsociety.com/english-breakfast/
http://britishfood.about.com/od/faq/f/breakfast.htm

I grant that they make a distinction between UK "baked beans" and US "pork and beans", but the dish called Heinz Baked Beans looked and tasted identical to Campbell's Pork and Beans. (Don't let the name fool you. YOU try and find the "pork"!)

I thought the beans, like black pudding, fried bread, and fried tomatoes, might be something that was served up specially for unsuspecting Americans. But my web research says you guys actually eat - and relish - all of them first thing in the morning, when I'm barely handling toast and coffee. Gad! You guys are tough!:)

BTW, filled jelly doughnuts are Bismarcks over here, too. Hence, the coffee break call: "Let's go sink the Bismarck!"

Yes, JFK said "Ich bin ein Berliner." Fortunately, he didn't visit Vienna.

in_vino_vomitus
09-06-13, 03:59 PM
Yeah - I've heard people say that the usual rules of grammar didn't, for some reason, apply in that particular situation. I can't say I'm convinced - Makes no difference really - it was a great speech - everyone knew what he meant, a minor error on the part of a speechwriter doesn't alter that.

in_vino_vomitus
09-06-13, 04:20 PM
Here's a sampling of the results of googling baked beans uk breakfast:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k4509078-Traditional_english_breakfast_Beans_vs_No_Beans-United_Kingdom.html
http://voices.yahoo.com/baked-beans-toast-so-typically-british-perfect-6392304.html?cat=22
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090502203724AAIUR6p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_breakfast
http://www.englishbreakfastsociety.com/english-breakfast/
http://britishfood.about.com/od/faq/f/breakfast.htm

I grant that they make a distinction between UK "baked beans" and US "pork and beans", but the dish called Heinz Baked Beans looked and tasted identical to Campbell's Pork and Beans. (Don't let the name fool you. YOU try and find the "pork"!)

I thought the beans, like black pudding, fried bread, and fried tomatoes, might be something that was served up specially for unsuspecting Americans. But my web research says you guys actually eat - and relish - all of them first thing in the morning, when I'm barely handling toast and coffee. Gad! You guys are tough!:)

BTW, filled jelly doughnuts are Bismarcks over here, too. Hence, the coffee break call: "Let's go sink the Bismarck!"

Yes, JFK said "Ich bin ein Berliner." Fortunately, he didn't visit Vienna.

Yep - The Full English breakfast - aka: Heart Attack on a Plate - And another delicacy - this time from Liverpool - The Docker's butty: An unsliced loaf, hollowed out and smeared with butter and a bag of chips dropped in - You guys call them french fries, but certainly anything I've seen labelled a french fry, bears little resemblance to a real chip. Too thin and not enough grease - mind you decent chip shops are getting thin on the ground, even over here

c13Garrison
09-06-13, 06:02 PM
I hijacked the thread myself, so it may officially be considered re-flagged under a neutral nation.

I'm recovering from a bad day yesterday, still reading stuff though.

BigWalleye
09-06-13, 06:22 PM
Chips and I are acquainted. Yikes!

But, hey! it is State Fair time here in the US Midwest, and we can match you arterial blockage for arterial blockage. Corn dogs, chicken-fried bacon, deep-fried corn chowder, deep-fried Twinkies. But top of the list, IMO, is deep-fried butter. That's right!

Take a stick of butter. Insert a serving stick and freeze the butter solid. Dip in batter and deep-fry. Take a big, ol' bite. Call your cardiologist.

Admiral Halsey
09-06-13, 06:38 PM

But, hey! it is State Fair time here in the US Midwest, and we can match you arterial blockage for arterial blockage. Corn dogs, chicken-fried bacon, deep-fried corn chowder, deep-fried Twinkies. But top of the list, IMO, is deep-fried butter. That's right!

Take a stick of butter. Insert a serving stick and freeze the butter solid. Dip in batter and deep-fry. Take a big, ol' bite. Call your cardiologist.

I can top deep-fried butter. I found a stand selling deep-fried lard with a butter dipping sauce.

in_vino_vomitus
09-06-13, 06:46 PM

I'm having problems with the deep fried butter - it's one of those things that is so unbelievable it goes almost all the way round to plausible. My mind is officially blown........

[edit - I had to google it - it's not April and I've done the Lucid Dreaming reality checks - I've obviously taken a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in a crazier universe than the one I started in]

C13G' Sorry to hear about the bad day - Hope whatever made it so is history now.....

BigWalleye
09-06-13, 07:47 PM
Halsey: Affirmative. Deep fried lard is a topper!

IVV: Please google state fair food. And remember, people pay money for and eat this stuff!

c13G: Hang in there. TGIF.

in_vino_vomitus
09-07-13, 09:51 AM
Halsey: Affirmative. Deep fried lard is a topper!

IVV: Please google state fair food. And remember, people pay money for and eat this stuff!

c13G: Hang in there. TGIF.

Yeah - have seen the Paula Deen deep-fried butterballs etc.. - In any case I'm not doubting your word - It's just that when I try to find a rational explanation for why someone would eat a stick of butter, fried in batter, the best I can come up with is either this is an incredibly robust hallucination, or I've slipped into a parallel universe where a coronary is an incredibly desirable thing. Have you considered that you may have been infiltrated by alien lifeforms with an addiction to human blubber, and they're trying to fatten you all up for a feast of some kind??

BigWalleye
09-07-13, 10:52 AM
IVV, it wasn't about doubt. Deep-fried butter is perhaps the most egregious example (excepting deep-fired LARD!), but "State Fair food" includes a lot of impressive concoctions. I suggested the google for your enjoyment, not as evidence. There's the deep-fried bacon-wrapped riblet on a stick, the deep-fried bacon-wrapped chili cheese dog on a stick, the deep-fried cheesecake on a stick (No bacon on that one! Although there is a deep-fried bacon-wrapped Snickers bar.)

Aliens? I lived in Los Angeles for 35 years. I thought Men in Black was a documentary.

Actually, when I see all the politically correct, be-healthy-we're doing-this-for-your-own-good propaganda we are assaulted with, I suspect it is a socially acceptable form of rebellion. "Once a year, you can eat this stuff. Next week, back to broccoli."