PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] Max possible depth indicator

ygirouard
07-09-13, 10:00 AM
Not sure if this would be possible, but it would be nice to know what is the max possible depth you could go to instead of just knowing the depth under keel at any given time. Having to calculate current depth + depth under keel to know how deep you can dive without crashing at the bottom is not always practical, especially in emergency situations.

I believe the navigators had maps which showed known depth to begin with (right?), but all we have in the game as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) are shaded areas that more or less indicate shallow waters versus deeper ones, but doesn't show any numbers on the depth there.

Maybe a new command could be added so the navigator could just print the max possible depth in the message box (not the limit of the sub, but the actual known depth at your location)?

TheDarkWraith
07-09-13, 11:34 AM
Not sure if this would be possible, but it would be nice to know what is the max possible depth you could go to instead of just knowing the depth under keel at any given time. Having to calculate current depth + depth under keel to know how deep you can dive without crashing at the bottom is not always practical, especially in emergency situations.

I believe the navigators had maps which showed known depth to begin with (right?), but all we have in the game as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) are shaded areas that more or less indicate shallow waters versus deeper ones, but doesn't show any numbers on the depth there.

Maybe a new command could be added so the navigator could just print the max possible depth in the message box (not the limit of the sub, but the actual known depth at your location)?

This is a good idea. I'd have to add a new command to the game (have already done this many times) for this. I know how to get max depth for location in the sh5.exe...it's doable :up: After initiating the command I'd have it write max depth at location is x (rounding the value to nearest tens).

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the depth under keel command? I mean this would be a cheat instead of using the depth under keel command and possibly giving your position away.

ygirouard
07-09-13, 11:36 AM
This is a good idea. I'd have to add a new command to the game (have already done this many times) for this. I know how to get max depth for location in the sh5.exe...it's doable :up:

Would be awesome if you could do it in your NewUI mod or just release a separate add-on mod, whichever works best for you. :yeah:

TheDarkWraith
07-09-13, 11:38 AM
Would be awesome if you could do it in your NewUI mod or just release a separate add-on mod, whichever works best for you. :yeah:

I really don't think they had charts back then that told them what the depth was at their location :hmmm: If they did then I will add this. If they didn't then it's a cheat and I won't add it.

ygirouard
07-09-13, 11:38 AM
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the depth under keel command?

No it doesn't... because it's also good to know how close to the bottom you are without having to calculate it mentally.

So if I'm say at 20 meters depth, and want to know how deep I can crash dive, I can use your new feature.

If I'm already deep and want to move forward and want to make sure I don't hit the bottom somewhere, I can use depth under keel to know if I'm about to scrape the bottom or not.

ygirouard
07-09-13, 11:40 AM
I really don't think they had charts back then that told them what the depth was at their location :hmmm: If they did then I will add this. If they didn't then it's a cheat and I won't add it.

Fair enough. I'm not sure either, but it wouldn't be a cheat though... If you know your depth and you know the depth under keel, then you could calculate it. The feature I'm asking for is just a shortcut so the Navigator calculates it for you in a blink.

TheDarkWraith
07-09-13, 11:42 AM
Fair enough. I'm not sure either, but it wouldn't be a cheat though... If you know your depth and you know the depth under keel, then you could calculate it. The feature I'm asking is just a shortcut so the Navigator calculates it for you in a blink.

I understand what you're asking. But using the depth under keel feature of the game can possibly give away your position and thus discretion has to be used when deciding to use it. Giving you a way to avoid detection while still getting depth under keel would be a cheat.

TheDarkWraith
07-09-13, 11:44 AM
Now if I could find a way to tell the game to execute the depth under keel command, take it's result, and add your current depth to it and then display the result in the messagebox I will (via a new game command) :up:

ygirouard
07-09-13, 11:46 AM
I understand what you're asking. But using the depth under keel feature of the game can possibly give away your position and thus discretion has to be used when deciding to use it. Giving you a way to avoid detection while still getting depth under keel would be a cheat.

I see what you mean. But how's this: Why not just send a ping to get depth under keel, and then have the navigator say something more to calculate the max depth. Or, just modify the depth under keel command to print 2 lines:

* Ping *
Depth under keel is XXX meters.
Max possible depth is XXX meters.

That would work and wouldn't change any of the current detection mechanic (or bypass it). You'd still have to be careful using it like you said.

EDIT: LOL, looks like our thought process was the same here... you were just quicker suggesting it.

TheDarkWraith
07-09-13, 11:48 AM
I see what you mean. But how's this: Why not just send a ping to get depth under keel, and then hav ethe navigator say something more to calculate the max depth. Or, just modify the depth under keel command to print 2 lines:

* Ping *
Depth under keel is XXX meters.
Max possible depth is XXX meters.

That would work and wouldn't change any of the current detection mechanic (or bypass it). You'd still have to be careful using it like you said.

EDIT: LOL, looks like our thought process was the same here... you were just quicker suggesting it.

That's a great idea of modifying the depth under keel command's return value and easy to make a patch for :up:

Sartoris
07-09-13, 11:54 AM
Love this new idea, it would be very useful.:up:

gap
07-09-13, 04:50 PM

I think Kriegsmarine had pretty detailed bathymetric charts at least of the most strategical ocean zones. See the download section of kartengruppe.it (http://www.kartengruppe.it/index.php/download) for some examples.

With this premise in mind, how about another command (designed over Real Navigation) returning the max depth at the last known position? It would come in handy when we need for rough depth data, without giving up our position. At the same moment it wouldn't be a cheat and it wouldn't replace echolot measured depths for the following reasons:

- need to wait for an update of our position fix;
- approximation coming from position's randomization.

Rethinking about it, we wouldn't even need for a new command in order to implement this idea. It would suffice if depth at the given point was reported on the message box or on map, together with each dead reckoning / celestial fix :yep:

TheDarkWraith
07-09-13, 07:08 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=755&pictureid=6812

When this patch is enabled and you ask for depth under keel you will see the max dive depth for the current location and the depth under keel :D

I made this a new entry in the menu.txt file:
4724=Max dive depth is %.0f %s, captain!

New version of patcher coming soon...

TheDarkWraith
07-09-13, 07:10 PM
With this premise in mind, how about another command (designed over Real Navigation) returning the max depth at the last known position? It would come in handy when we need for rough depth data, without giving up our position. At the same moment it wouldn't be a cheat and it wouldn't replace echolot measured depths for the following reasons:

- need to wait for an update of our position fix;
- approximation coming from position's randomization.

Rethinking about it, we wouldn't even need for a new command in order to implement this idea. It would suffice if depth at the given point was reported on the message box or on map, together with each dead reckoning / celestial fix :yep:

Some good ideas. I'll think it over...

ygirouard
07-09-13, 08:16 PM

When this patch is enabled and you ask for depth under keel you will see the max dive depth for the current location and the depth under keel :D

Wow man you rock! That was fast!

TheDarkWraith
07-09-13, 08:23 PM
I spent two years decoding this game (and am still decoding it). I decoded the main parts of the game that I needed so that I could do the things I was wanting to do. Now with all my how to's, object maps, function lists, memory maps, etc. that I made I can pretty much do just about whatever I want. If I can't do something then I just have to research some more till I find what I'm looking for :up:

ygirouard
07-09-13, 08:42 PM
I spent two years decoding this game (and am still decoding it). I decoded the main parts of the game that I needed so that I could do the things I was wanting to do. Now with all my how to's, object maps, function lists, memory maps, etc. that I made I can pretty much do just about whatever I want. If I can't do something then I just have to research some more till I find what I'm looking for :up:

That's nice :)

I installed it with your new patcher, and I'm not sure if I did it wrong, but now when I click Depth under keel, I only get the new line to display and the Depth under keel line doesn't show anymore. Your screenshot shows both, did I miss something?

I did add the line in the right place in menu.txt and it displays fine, I just don't see the Depth under keel one before it when I click the button.

EDIT: Humm not sure what I did, but I changed some of the patches I have applied with the Generic Patcher (one is causing a CTD when I load a saved game, not sure which but I think it's either the decks_awash one or the render_patches one)... but anyway, tried the Depth under keel button again and now it shows both lines properly.

Fifi
07-09-13, 08:49 PM

An other good news :sunny:

Fifi
07-09-13, 10:08 PM
Awesome!
It's working in CSP Magui too!
Just had to add the 4724 line as above...in french for me :D
Thanks for this new addition :up:

gap
07-10-13, 05:00 AM
Some good ideas. I'll think it over...

:up: