PDA

View Full Version : What is the farthest you have gone to engage a convoy

nutworld
06-16-13, 10:42 AM
What is the farthest you have gotten a radio update of a convoy position on the map and changed your course to engage that convoy?

For the first time, I plotted an intercept course and tracked down a convoy from 2 grid sectors away....

Trust me I'm not breaking my own arm patting myself on the back for this, just stating I'd not done so before.

maurice076
06-16-13, 11:44 AM
That is pretty good,I lost a convoy the other day and gave up.I think my farthest out around 300km.

desertstriker
06-16-13, 01:36 PM
i would have to say 3 grid sectors BE01 to BE07 IIRC. i almost gave up but i submerged in hopes of picking up their sound which i did and they where coming staight at me so ended up doing a quick reposition repositioning so i was perpandicular to them

maillemaker
06-17-13, 08:59 AM
Anything beyond a 6-hour flank speed run is out.

Steve

vanjast
06-21-13, 03:18 PM
Long ago so only remember the basics.. 100% with no map updates.
Got a sighting report and a course... calculated an intercept that was 12 hours away at full speed.
I hmmmmd and hrrrrrd for a few minutes then gave the order for the chase - had plenty fuel and full torp load.

I arrived at the waypoint at approx 6 hours ahead of schedule as planned, manual search pattern doing hydrophone soundings every hour. Imagine my dismay when approx 12 hours later still no sign of the convoy.. The crew were looking at me funny. At about 18 hours later we got the first sound signature.. right where I'd predicted. I think I got 3 ships on this one attack (fore and aft) then broke off as I didn't want to waste fuel on another chase.

I relooked at all my calculations afterwards and all looked good. I couldn't find an explanation for the extra 12 hours delay, but maybe a convoy course change or speed change, and maybe I just happen to strike it lucky.

But this, I suppose, is the fun and uncertainty of 100% 'real life' play.

Jimbuna
06-22-13, 12:08 PM
A few thousand mile more than I care to remember or admit but that was whilst testing the SpySat mod.

AndreasT
06-23-13, 07:01 PM
I recently read a magazine of a u-boat which was operating in the Indian Ocean on its way back home near Cape Town where they spotted a US Tanker going fast. The crew calculated they would need 30 hours full speed ahead to get in a firing position to attack. The captain decided to do this. Getting to sink the ship. However the diesels where so damaged/wornout they had to return to their Indian Ocean base and could not go home.
According to the articles they switched on their electrics as well to support the diesels. How that is supposed to work? I would doubt that.