PDA

View Full Version : Nav Map Update On or Off What do you recommend ?

Aras
01-29-13, 06:19 AM
Ok I have been playing SH 3 for about 8 Months, although I knew how to do Manual Torpedo Calculations I preferred to stay with Auto, because last time I tried to go manually, I was inexperienced and when I tried my skills on a convoy I was pretty messed up, in a run, it ended without a torpedo shot, yes torpedo shot and not torpedo impact, I as said my mind was messed up , I couldn’t finish the calculations so I didn’t shot at all :D

Now I want to start a new career and want to know what you experiences kaleuns, The Old Wolves of the Ocean can recommend about realism settings.

Nav Map On/Off ?
Weapon Officer Assistance On/Off ?

Also I know Steve is using 6x Periscope, I may try that to be historically accurate. However I don't know how to do it

Troublous_Haze
01-29-13, 07:14 AM
Ok I have been playing SH 3 for about 8 Months, although I knew how to do Manual Torpedo Calculations I preferred to stay with Auto, because last time I tried to go manually, I was inexperienced and when I tried my skills on a convoy I was pretty messed up, in a run, it ended without a torpedo shot, yes torpedo shot and not torpedo impact, I as said my mind was messed up , I couldn’t finish the calculations so I didn’t shot at all :D

Now I want to start a new career and want to know what you experiences kaleuns, The Old Wolves of the Ocean can recommend about realism settings.

Nav Map On/Off ?
Weapon Officer Assistance On/Off ?

Also I know Steve is using 6x Periscope, I may try that to be historically accurate. However I don't know how to do it

Nav Map updates OFF
WO Assistance ON

If you haven't tried OLCG2 which is made especially comfortable for manual targetings yet, I would recomend trying it.

Sailor Steve
01-29-13, 10:11 AM
I suck at math, so I do semi-auto: Targetting set for Manual, WE Assistance on. I also use the Assisted Plotting Mod, in which nothing appears on the chart except the ship you are locked onto.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1402399&postcount=10

I don't use any of the GUI mods, preferring an uncluttered screen instead. I use FLB_Sales' Simfeeling 6-Dials mod.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1401974&postcount=5

sublynx
01-29-13, 12:47 PM
off, if you're into mathematics :ping:

Pisces
01-29-13, 02:57 PM
It depends if you want to imagine that the crew does the plotting. Unfortunately they do a perfect job. It's allways done with GPS accuracy. So I do it myself.

But then again, I'm a sucker for geometry, and a control freak.

Singed
01-29-13, 03:35 PM
I leave my nav map updates on and justify it myself a number of ways, both role playing (I have a team to do that, 5 people looking off the conning tower, etc.) and just that range finding is not an aspect of the game I find enjoyable most of the time. Same logic applies to me knowing how to do celestial navigation IRL but wouldn't even try it in the game even though I understand the ability is in the game.

Eventually I may turn it back off as I did in SH4 if I desire more realism at some point.

However I play with everything else turned to full realism except for the f12 view is on.

IMO it is however you decide to achieve neutral buoyancy on the surface (whatever floats your boat).

benitorios
01-30-13, 01:35 AM
Map updates ON but with the Map update mod, which makes it so that no contacts appear on the map except at very low zoom levels, making it impossible to use the plots accurately. That essentially means I have map updates OFF.

The reason I use this setup is that it preserves the sonar bearing lines, which I consider a given (IRL the sonar guy should be there to tell you the bearings of the sound contacts). Found it the right balance for my sim needs.

All other realism settings on, except stabilised view (the up and down drives me nuts!! :D)

Aras
01-30-13, 11:36 AM
It is decided then... Nav Map Off and Weapon Off Assistance On... I am using the Assisted Plotting Mode recommended by Steve just one question. My crew is reporting every movement of a ship like they have seen the first time. Ex:

Ship Spotted.Bearing 010
Ship Spotted.Bearing 010
Ship Spotted.Bearing 010
Ship Spotted.Bearing 010

4 reports for a ship in a minute !

I cannot speed up the game ! Any solutions to that ?

Troublous_Haze
01-30-13, 01:00 PM
There should be a mod that is called: "No continued ship spotted" or something like that.

Sailor Steve
01-30-13, 02:15 PM
It is decided then... Nav Map Off and Weapon Off Assistance On... I am using the Assisted Plotting Mode recommended by Steve just one question. My crew is reporting every movement of a ship like they have seen the first time. Ex:

Ship Spotted.Bearing 010
Ship Spotted.Bearing 010
Ship Spotted.Bearing 010
Ship Spotted.Bearing 010

4 reports for a ship in a minute !

I cannot speed up the game ! Any solutions to that ?
First, if you use the Assisted Plotting Mod you need Map Contact Updates on, or it won't work.

Second, for the constant reporting, this is a function of using one of the 16 or 20-Kilometer mods. As said, you need the "No Continuous Shop Spotted" mod.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1654

Jimbuna
01-30-13, 07:36 PM
Never come across a 'shop' in the Atlantic yet :hmm2:

:O:

Singed
01-30-13, 10:39 PM

It really would be nice to pick up some Becks and smokes in the middle of one of those long Atlantic patrols.

Troublous_Haze
01-31-13, 01:14 AM
It really would be nice to pick up some Becks and smokes in the middle of one of those long Atlantic patrols.

"Milkcows" has it all :/\\k:

u crank
01-31-13, 06:27 AM

Don't rattle the Grammar Nazi's cage Jim. :O:

Sailor Steve
01-31-13, 11:07 AM
Don't rattle the Grammar Nazi's cage Jim. :O:
Why not? I made a typo and he's right. On the other hand typos have nothing to do with grammar. On the other other hand I read his post twice and didn't register that he was talking to me until you mentioned it. :dead:

Of course it also helps that Jim and I are very good friends, talking to each other all the time on Skype and such. We rattle cages and yank chains all the time. :sunny:

Aras
02-02-13, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the mod recommendations and help.