PDA

View Full Version : What does "Rigging in the bow planes" do?

Blacklight
01-24-13, 10:10 PM
I was wondering what rigging in the bow planes does and what it's function in game is? Does it make the sub less maneuverable, yet quieter?

SilentPrey
01-25-13, 07:31 AM
If I remember right, that's one of the steps you're supposed to perform before surfacing through ice.

Sailor Steve
01-25-13, 01:12 PM
When the sub is surfaced there is no need for the dive planes. I don't know about modern, but WW2-era US subs had bow planes that could be raised into indentations in the hull, which gave a flush surface and much less drag.

Krabb
01-25-13, 02:43 PM
For modern subs it's for surfacing through ice, as SilentPrey have said and for reducing the friction with the water, thus generating less noise at high speeds. But the last one operates automatically (in DW) AFAIR.

Blacklight
01-25-13, 06:31 PM
So Dangerous Waters models the sub making less noise at high speed if the bow planes are rigged in? That adds a new strategy element that I've never thought to use.
So, therefore, if I'm trying to rush to a location to catch something, yet still remain stealthy, I should probably pull the planes in?

magicstix
01-25-13, 07:47 PM
The bow planes are for stability. Pulling them in would theoretically decrease your flow noise, but it'd also mean you're more likely to roll the sub, though I guess in DW they probably don't model that, nor do they likely model the noise reduction of pulling them in, so it wouldn't help your strats. As others have mentioned you would also pull them in before surfacing through ice to keep from snapping them off.

Hinrich Schwab
01-26-13, 09:36 AM
Another reason for rigging in the bowplanes is to prevent damaging them upon surfacing through ice. The other purposes have already been explained.

Viper37
01-28-13, 08:50 PM
Rigging in, or Retracting the bow planes is done for a few reasons.

1. When Piloting. We don't need them, we have tugs along side, they move us around.

2. When over a certain speed. Over a certain amount of knots, they become ineffective and are no longer needed/useful. In fact, when going fast enough they will just make noise. They aren't for stability, that's what the trim tanks are for. You would have to be hauling some serious butt in a submarine to get it to even roll slightly at a 15deg turn.

3. Under Ice. Surfacing through the ice is dangerous. American Submarines will probably never again built with fairwater planes, and instead bow planes. This change was made between the 688 and 688I class submarines, where they moved the planes below the waterline like a real submarine.

Hope that helps.

tippership
07-07-13, 10:28 PM
^ Yea, in Sub Command, the Seawolves(not the 688I's) could do it , and this did two things

1. you couldn't touch your flank speed without rigging them in- you'd hit 34, not 35 knots in the seawolf

#2. The "purpose" was for surfacing through ice - i think i probably surfaceed once or twice with them out with no effects

..seriously though, can the original 688's really not surface through ice because of the planes? I'd think they still could.....

Anyway, in Dangerous waters, the flank speed limiting thing doesn't happen(I believe you CAN hit the 40 knots with the planes out), and ..as for the ICE thing, ...I've had some very weird* experiences with ice that i don't think had anything to do with the planes(but i can check)

*I tried surfacing in 5-6 ft ice, and the sub kept bouncing off(when getting like 50%+ of the way through) . Pretty sure my planes were IN, not out- and there might be a point where for thick ice, you bounce off anyway sometimes(not always) when you try to surface through ice

twm47099
07-11-13, 09:58 AM
^ Yea, in Sub Command, the Seawolves(not the 688I's) could do it , and this did two things

..seriously though, can the original 688's really not surface through ice because of the planes? I'd think they still could.....

I've read that the 688's could not surface through the ice because the fairwater had been designed to be shorter than the previous class as part of increasing the max speed of the class. The fairwater planes were too large to turn 90 degrees vertical. The switch to bow planes on the 688i's resolved that issue.

Tom

LoBlo
07-13-13, 01:12 PM
I've read that the 688's could not surface through the ice because the fairwater had been designed to be shorter than the previous class as part of increasing the max speed of the class. The fairwater planes were too large to turn 90 degrees vertical. The switch to bow planes on the 688i's resolved that issue.

Tom

BubbleHeadNuke mentioned in a post before (I forget the thread) that it wasn't really the motivation for the bow planes in the 688i however. The motivation was greater control or sub pitch in the case of a stern plan casualty. The better tolerance to ice was a convenient plus.

Red October1984
07-13-13, 07:26 PM
How do you do this in-game? I don't remember this being a feature. :hmmm:

kevinlv
07-13-13, 08:17 PM
How do you do this in-game? I don't remember this being a feature. :hmmm:

In "F1" control pannel.

Red October1984
07-13-13, 08:42 PM
In "F1" control pannel.

For which submarine?

I think I remember seeing something about it on the Seawolf. :hmmm:

kevinlv
07-14-13, 04:45 AM
For which submarine?

I think I remember seeing something about it on the Seawolf. :hmmm:yes,it is on seawolf.

Red October1984
07-14-13, 09:25 AM
yes,it is on seawolf.

Alright. I'll look for it later today. :yeah:

Kaye T. Bai
07-22-13, 10:04 AM

Indeed. In an X-Files episode, ("End Game"), there was a scene where a surfaced submarine submerges through a layer of ice. It's fairwater planes go vertical before doing so.

Here's a picture from the episode. Not sure which class of sub it is exactly, but it appears to be a Sturgeon-class SSN, I think. Makes sense, they were plentiful in the USN's fleet during the 1990s, which is when the episode aired. Speaking of which, do submarines have flood lights like this on the sail?
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080709000357/x-files/images/f/ff/Endgame.jpg

Bubblehead Nuke
07-28-13, 10:18 PM
BubbleHeadNuke mentioned in a post before (I forget the thread) that it wasn't really the motivation for the bow planes in the 688i however. The motivation was greater control or sub pitch in the case of a stern plan casualty. The better tolerance to ice was a convenient plus.

Actually, the ability to surface through the ice was one of the reasons, just not THE reason, for the shift to bow planes.

A pre 688i COULD surface through the ice. It WOULD destroy the fairwater planes was well as the mast and scopes. The 688i's had a 'ice cap' that the mast and scopes could be lowered below to protect them. The overall strength of the sail was increased as well to make it more resistant to damage.

Bubblehead Nuke
07-28-13, 10:20 PM
. Speaking of which, do submarines have flood lights like this on the sail?

In that configuration???

No.