PDA

View Full Version : Few more questions

Krauter
08-12-12, 01:56 PM
Hey all,

Just a few more questions.

1: Is there an effective way of fighting without the Towed Array? I'm finding that when I shoot at a target and he returns fire down my line of bearing, I am sprinting under the layer with a hard turn to face to torpedo and that's causing me to lose my towed array.

2: (Donno if this applies to stock, I am using RA) What is the "best" or better Soviet torpedoes to use? I used to use the USET-80 thinking it was similar to the Mk48. I'm finding now that it is ****. I can't wireguide it and it never seems to acquire anything (on passive or active). For engaging surface threats I usually just use SSMs (haven't tried wake-homers yet). But for ASW I don't really know what to use. How is the UGST? I tried the TEST-71 and found that I could wireguide it. Any recommendations?

3: For under ice operations, I've tried surfacing through the ice in an 688(i) to launch VLS tubes at a shore target. However, only my conning tower is getting through the ice. The rest of the hull is still under ice causing my missiles to bounce off and sink. How can I fully surface my hull?

4: Can I change the depth my torpedo is running at when I wireguide it? Or is it only set before I launch?

Thanks!

Captain Nemo
08-13-12, 05:46 AM
I'll have a go at answering Q1, 3 & 4:

1. The towed array is the most effective passive sonar device that your submarine has. To avoid losing it in a combat situation it might be worthwhile considering only deploying half of it or less so that you can retrieve it more quickly should you need to do so. However, doing this will reduce it's overall effectiveness.

3. I don't think you can.

4. No, torpedo depth is preset at launch, you can only steer the torpedo using wire guidance.

Nemo

Almost_Saint
08-13-12, 11:38 PM
3. - You have to throw ballast - then submarine is fully rise above the ice and start the missile successfully.

* - Ballast will be drop when the sail boat over the ice and in the full stop.

0rpheus
08-18-12, 04:48 PM
1: Is there an effective way of fighting without the Towed Array? I'm finding that when I shoot at a target and he returns fire down my line of bearing, I am sprinting under the layer with a hard turn to face to torpedo and that's causing me to lose my towed array.

Bit late with the suggestion, but best thing to do in this scenario is launch a UUV - you have to be doing under 4 kts for a successful launch. Pull in the towed array to half or so before making the attack, have a UUV in a spare tube and launch it with the torps.

Pull the rest of the TA in just before you launch (so you don't lose it) and rely on the UUV to give you sonar readings while evading. It'll run active or passive as long as the wire's attached and has a 2.5 nm range.

Krauter
08-20-12, 11:23 PM
How do I get the readings from the UUV? Do they appear in my TMA? Nav plot? Sonar suite?

Captain Nemo
08-21-12, 07:36 AM
How do I get the readings from the UUV? Do they appear in my TMA? Nav plot? Sonar suite?

UUV sonar contacts display on the Nav and Fire Control maps and in TMA, but not in the sonar suite.

Nemo

Krauter
08-23-12, 09:59 PM
Hey all, another one for you tin can drivers.

I've been tooling around in the Perry Class Frigate and have one question about ASW options.

What do I do if I lose both Helicopters? So far I've only ever lost one. But I'm afraid that if I lose both, my port and starboard Torpedo tubes won't be up to the job. So far everytime I've launched the Mk54s at a submerged contact they sail right over the sub without diving on it.

Dive! Dive! Dive!
08-24-12, 03:11 AM
Happens to me with almost everything :/\\!!. My best bet is to keep trying. The torpedoes will hit home eventually. :03: