PDA

View Full Version : Want a command for decks awash

Tempest555
07-23-12, 12:09 AM
Somebody posted they did that configuration-but didn't give details. Just want a keystroke and it gets me to a depth where I'm low in the water-but my feet aren't wet. Where do I look to edit-or is there a mod already for it.
I know about the snorkel depth cfg command-but I that is used for radar depth. I'm using the SH key configurator and the command Set Depth isn't used. But when I assign it to a key it keeps me on the surface at 0 depth. Wondering what this key really does and could I assign it to decks awash at say 30 ft. rather then 0 ft when I hit that set depth key. Wonder where that depth is stored-it's not in the subs config? Anyone know where that is?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/Tempest555/Decksawash.jpg already?

Webster
07-23-12, 03:55 PM
there is no good solution, anything you reset causes more unwanted side effects so just order the depth you want. i really is easier that way rather then trying to mod a key for it

Armistead
07-23-12, 06:10 PM
Depends on your definition of decks awash, the game allows you to stand on the bridge why your sub is technically dived, crew goes under. To me decks awash is going deep enough that the engines stay on. You can man the bridge with electrics on, but then you become a sonar target, but shouldn't get close enough.

Each sub differs, but as Webster said there is no real fix, because at that depth the sub tends to be pushed up, but works better in dead calm waters. If the waters are rougher, it's hard to hold decks awash, you have to keep setting depth over and over. Also about impossible to use time compression decks awash. The goal is to get lower, more to dodge radar.

Tempest555
07-23-12, 10:32 PM
Yeah poking around the files I came to the conclusions you both point to-just remember the decks awash figure and attempt input it correctly. Thanks again for the feedback.
No pinups on my ship.
Now who stole the strawberries?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/Tempest555/decksawash-1.jpg

aanker
07-29-12, 12:23 PM
You could edit snorkel depth to whatever you want - most of the time it is used for radar depth. Then the sound file would have to say decks awash instead of 40' - which is not really decks awash. I forgot if the Diving Officer calls out 20'. That would be more realistic, set snorkel/radar depth to 20'+ but getting him to answer the order to go to 20' before reaching 20' would be another problem. I think 26' is too deep to air the boat or run diesels on a typical boat like a GATO.

Wonder what the big mods did about this?

Happy Hunting!

Tempest555
07-29-12, 01:26 PM
I took the numbers from a ubi forum post on the same subject. I just input the depth in the right corner dial. I use radar depth far more then decks awash so I won't be swapping depths for snorkel
Interesting observation at night using deck awash off Wewak with a Japanese DD way off my beam (plenty of atmosphere-very calm waters, it was real dark, no moon and there was thunder). Looking around with decks awash he didn't see me. I surfaced and my radar -after a few sweeps- told me he was coming my way. Pulled the plug and went deep. This sim has it's moments.:)
And the number in my screen capture keep my feet dry-you can use the bridge-but nobody is on it.

Capt. Morgan
08-01-12, 02:47 PM
...as Webster said there is no real fix, because at that depth the sub tends to be pushed up, but works better in dead calm waters. If the waters are rougher, it's hard to hold decks awash...

For this reason, I found it was easier to re-define radar depth in the subs .cfg file to produce decks-awash. This way, the sub will hold decks-awash in any sea conditions. Takes a bit of trial & error to get the correct depth, but it's well worth it for all the frustration it saves from not having to constantly monitor and reset the depth, especially in the dicey situations where decks-awash is most needed.

...I use radar depth far more then decks awash so I won't be swapping depths for snorkel...

It's a trade-off, but all subs hold radar depth without problem, so it can be reliably set manually, and maintained automatically. The same is not true at decks-awash.