PDA

View Full Version : New, Some Questions.

Krauter
07-10-12, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

New to DW and slowly trying to get used to it.

Playing the MH-60 Demo I am slowly getting used to tracking contacts with Sonobuoys as well as the Dipping Sonar. I'm still trying to figure out the differences with the different sonobuoys, but I'm still a little confused. Atm, I'm having some success with the DIFAR buoys, VLAD I've tried yet don't really see a difference.

However, what I'm having questions with is the DICASS. I see that it is supposed to be used in an active Sonar setting. However I've only managed to use it with directional and omni-directional sensors. How can I set it to active ping?

Another question I've got is regarding sonar suites. Primarily I've been using the Seawolf because it's got the best sonars and quietest mechanics (or so I'm guessing). Now, I've been tooling around with the ASuW Intercept and ASW Barrier Search quick missions and have found that I detect things quickly with the narrowband (usually at 500Khz) setting. Going from Bow to towed arraw (Stb array, is there a difference between the prt and stb arrays?) I see that there is still a spike on the display. However I cannot assign a tracker to it for some reason and I don't know why.

Finally, what is a way to use the TMA when it gets cluttered with a lot of contact lines?

Molon Labe
07-11-12, 12:22 AM
Hi all,

However, what I'm having questions with is the DICASS. I see that it is supposed to be used in an active Sonar setting. However I've only managed to use it with directional and omni-directional sensors. How can I set it to active ping?
Make sure you have 3 grams (screens) available for the active buoy. Set other grams to channel 00 and/or switch other buoys off of directional mode to make room.

is there a difference between the prt and stb arrays? Yes, the starboard array is a TB-29; the port, TB-16. The -29 is more sensitive, the -16 can operate at higher speeds

I see that there is still a spike on the display. However I cannot assign a tracker to it for some reason and I don't know why. Trackers in narrowband are assigned to frequencies at a heading; don't try to assign it to a heading.

Finally, what is a way to use the TMA when it gets cluttered with a lot of contact lines? Normally. What would be hard would be trying to use TMA when you don't have any contact lines. :O: Okay, okay, right click anywhere in the working area and you'll be able to select the time interval that controls how much data is being displayed.

Krauter
07-11-12, 06:39 AM
Thanks Molon Labe!

Trackers in narrowband are assigned to frequencies at a heading; don't try to assign it to a heading.

I don't understand this though. How then would I assign trackers? For example, sometimes I can assign trackers only on contacts from the bow sonar even when I can clearly see them from the towed array.

Molon Labe
07-12-12, 01:14 AM
The screen that has the spikes and headings just "steers" the main display onto a heading, so that the frequency lines can be displayed in the main screen. To assign a contact, you just need to more the cursor onto one of the frequency lines and click assign.

Krauter
07-12-12, 10:48 AM
Alright I will try this. Thanks.

Also, any reason why sometimes I can track targets with my NN bow sonar but sometimes never get get any on my TA or flank arrays? This seems to me to usually happen in shallow ~300-400ft of water but I've had it happen in deep water also.

I've tried extending the tail all the way out or medium wat or really close to see if it was under the layer but it made no difference.

Molon Labe
07-12-12, 08:21 PM
Not really; the TA is the most sensitive. Dragging the TA on the bottom, or putting it below the layer, could happen at lower speeds.. Washing out a sensor at high speed is another possibility. And in case it's not obvious, all the sonars have their own blind spots.

It may help to know the sim/mod version, target, and, acoustic conditions.

Krauter
07-12-12, 09:14 PM
Aah alright. what is the best speed to run at so that your TA is relatively close to your depth? Generally when I'm snooping I stay around 5knts.

As for mod/version, I'm at 1.04 and haven't modded the game. Not sure what LWAMI or RA does so I havent touched them.

Pisces
07-13-12, 05:54 AM
Not really; the TA is the most sensitive. ...Well, that is dependant on what frequency you are after. Bow sonar only detects the highest frequencies (Line 4 +5), while TA the lowest (Line 1, 2, 3). The hull or flank array can detect only medium frequencies.

Pisces
07-13-12, 05:57 AM
Aah alright. what is the best speed to run at so that your TA is relatively close to your depth? Generally when I'm snooping I stay around 5knts.

As for mod/version, I'm at 1.04 and haven't modded the game. Not sure what LWAMI or RA does so I havent touched them.I think a few knots higher. But that depends on the length of the TA. Mostly streaming it to 1/3rd is enough, and then at 6 knots or higher it is about at your level.

twm47099
07-13-12, 10:21 AM
Thanks Molon Labe!

I don't understand this though. How then would I assign trackers? For example, sometimes I can assign trackers only on contacts from the bow sonar even when I can clearly see them from the towed array.

One thing I do when I get get the same contact on the bow and TA sonars is to assign trackers to both. In narrow band you select the heading of the contact and then click on a strong frequency line. If the signal to noise ratio is high enough, you will get a tracker.

Then I look on the NAV screen for the intersection of the bearing lines from the bow and TA, and that is a close approximation to the position of the contact. I will place a user defined contact at that point. I have been able to target torpedoes / missles at that point, and guide torpedoes to follow the intersection as it moves. However, due to the relatively slow tracker updates (every 2 minutes), I do have to lead the intersection.

I have tried combining the bow and TA trackers in the TA screen, but the TA screen rapidly fills with too many bearing
lines and it can be difficult to figure out which bow bearing corresponds to which TA bearing. Then when you do get a good solution, if you send the solution, you get a symbol for the position of the contact, but lose the 2 bearing lines. That makes tracking the contact difficult - I still have to work on my technique.

The other thing I found useful was using UUVs in combination with the TA or bow sonars. If I have a good bearing, but can't get a good range, I send a UUV on a heading to maximize triangulation. They travel slow, only last 30 minutes, throw out a lot of bearing lines, and you have to take care with your maneuvers. Originally, I thought they were fairly useless, but now always make sure I have a few loaded and use them when other methods aren't working well.

Tom

Darkhunter
08-13-12, 10:48 AM
Krauter,

This guide (link provided) is very helpful. Addresses your questions:
http://www.subguru.com/DW_missions/Notfallmappe_v06.zip

It's located on SubGuru's site, it's the landlubber's PDF.
http://www.subguru.com/downloads.html