PDA

View Full Version : Help!

mouseno4
06-04-12, 12:47 AM
Ive been following one of the guides on this forum for modding, and it was all finally going great. Until i moved the submarine out of the pen and went to add in new waypoints.

The icon showing my submarines position is MISSING!

Can someone tell me what mod would remove the black circle with a 'tail' icon of my submarine from the map?

Obelix
06-04-12, 01:54 AM
Ive been following one of the guides on this forum for modding, and it was all finally going great. Until i moved the submarine out of the pen and went to add in new waypoints.

The icon showing my submarines position is MISSING!

Can someone tell me what mod would remove the black circle with a 'tail' icon of my submarine from the map?
Maybe it's "Real Navigation"? More than nothing.

mouseno4
06-04-12, 02:41 AM
Maybe it's "Real Navigation"? More than nothing.

Dumb question, but how do you navigate without it? If this is intended by the mod, how do you get around without any way to know where you are?

THE_MASK
06-04-12, 03:52 AM
Dumb question, but how do you navigate without it? If this is intended by the mod, how do you get around without any way to know where you are?Did you follow the instructions on installing ? After it is installed properly , when you first load a save there will be a cross that is put on the navmap to show your position . Simply use the compass on the nav map by clicking on the heading bar to bring the navigation compass up (red square) to see which way you want to go and click on the compass to go in that direction . You know how to make the navigation compass pop up ? After that you can click on the officer icon that is found on the bottom panel to give you a dead reckoning that takes a few minutes that is fairly accurate or a celestial navigation that is acurate and takes about 45 minutes . The nav officer can only give dead reckonings in bad weather and you must wait for good weather to get a celestial reading . Or you can use the automation panel if you have downloaded Trevallys automated scripts and the nav officer will give you the marks on the nav map every 2 hours .

stoianm video tutorils
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181538
choose the real navigation video and its 6 minutes in .

mouseno4
06-04-12, 04:10 AM
Im driving a simulated submarine.

THE_MASK
06-04-12, 04:30 AM
Im driving a simulated submarine.There is also a sextant included and threads on how to use it if you dig around .

mouseno4
06-04-12, 04:43 AM
The point i was trying to make was that this is a game. I fully understand the desire some have to make the game as realistic as possible, (i would not be surprised if there was a mod to disable TC) but i just want mods that adds realism in the way the game looks, as well as even more intricate control over the submarine and its crew.

Anything that takes functions away, is not what im after.

So far, almost all of the mods are graphical and aesthetic in nature which i am very happy for. But the mods that ive discovered to be the ''ultra realistic, spend 10 hours doing maths whilst stalking a single small merchant'' type, ive discarded.

THE_MASK
06-04-12, 05:45 AM
The point i was trying to make was that this is a game. I fully understand the desire some have to make the game as realistic as possible, (i would not be surprised if there was a mod to disable TC) but i just want mods that adds realism in the way the game looks, as well as even more intricate control over the submarine and its crew.

Anything that takes functions away, is not what im after.

So far, almost all of the mods are graphical and aesthetic in nature which i am very happy for. But the mods that ive discovered to be the ''ultra realistic, spend 10 hours doing maths whilst stalking a single small merchant'' type, ive discarded.With real navigation you can just use the compass to head in the direction you need to go and the navigator does the work for you . whats hard about it ?

mouseno4
06-04-12, 06:44 AM
With real navigation, where am i when i am in the middle of the ocean and no marker to tell me where i am? Using the compass to navigate is fine, as long as you know where you are to start with.

Some people really enjoy playing this game as if it were a real ship. Perhaps they enjoy the idea of having to navigate like the real captains did.

I just want to look good, blowing stuff up.

TheDarkWraith
06-04-12, 09:13 AM
With real navigation, where am i when i am in the middle of the ocean and no marker to tell me where i am? Using the compass to navigate is fine, as long as you know where you are to start with.

Some people really enjoy playing this game as if it were a real ship. Perhaps they enjoy the idea of having to navigate like the real captains did.

I just want to look good, blowing stuff up.

then disable my real navigation add-on mod :yep:

radcapricorn
06-04-12, 09:46 AM
Such frustration, as if somebody forced you to install RealNav :)

mouseno4
06-04-12, 07:38 PM
Such frustration, as if somebody forced you to install RealNav :)

That was uncalled for sir.

And yes TDW, i have removed that mod.

THE_MASK
06-04-12, 11:19 PM

I just want to look good, blowing stuff up.I ask the navigator and he plots and puts an X on my navmap . I know where i am at all times .

finchOU
06-04-12, 11:51 PM
mouse,

Real Nav is not too bad....work with it....I find it rewarding. Do you get anything on the map at all? if you do (the cross that sober was talking about) then its working...and like others have said...just ask your navigator at different intervals to plot a new position (either DR or C from the pop up menu). Understand? Do you see these pop ups? If not...maybe its a MOD soup issue.

THE_MASK
06-05-12, 12:09 AM
I am stupid so if i can use it anyone can . I dont have to do any calculations at all . I also use Trevallys automation scripts so i dont even have to ask the nav officer to plot , he does it automatically every 2 hours . I have been lost though in bad weather and it is heaps of fun . You have to read the install instructions that come with the real navigation mod though .

misha1967
06-05-12, 01:34 AM
That was uncalled for sir.

And yes TDW, i have removed that mod.

Maybe it was. I burned myself too that way installing the RealNav mod thinking that it somehow improved navigation (without reading the instructions). It does, it certainly makes it a lot harder, which wasn't what I was looking for at the time.

(Now, on the other hand, I'm grateful that it was made because now I am looking for that sort of thing).

Anyway, just disable it and it should solve your problem.

And welcome aboard. :DL

mouseno4
06-05-12, 01:43 AM
That i did. Uninstalled and am happier for it. Some may like navigation the hard way. I just want to pump a few torpedoes into the bad guys.

mouseno4
06-05-12, 06:21 PM
Maybe it was. I burned myself too that way installing the RealNav mod thinking that it somehow improved navigation (without reading the instructions). It does, it certainly makes it a lot harder, which wasn't what I was looking for at the time.

(Now, on the other hand, I'm grateful that it was made because now I am looking for that sort of thing).

Anyway, just disable it and it should solve your problem.

And welcome aboard. :DL

Oh and i have been on this forum for a number of years now. Roughly when Silent Hunter 3 was released is when i registered for this forum. IIRC i was a member of 100k club and something i recall called ''gray wolves''. I am not sure why my account was removed. Perhaps due to being inactive for months at a time maybe.

misha1967
06-06-12, 01:54 AM
Oh and i have been on this forum for a number of years now. Roughly when Silent Hunter 3 was released is when i registered for this forum. IIRC i was a member of 100k club and something i recall called ''gray wolves''. I am not sure why my account was removed. Perhaps due to being inactive for months at a time maybe.

Ahhh... A fellow SH3 vet! Well then: Welcome BACK! :DL

mouseno4
06-06-12, 03:01 AM
Yeah i managed to finish 12 full patrols in SH3 and finished the war in a Type XX1. Sadly i never managed to upgrade it with anything before the war ended.