PDA

View Full Version : HMS Astute S119 Fast Attack Submarine

iowa101
05-20-12, 11:50 PM
Welcome to the now official HMS Astute mod Topic

Over the last few days I've been in disarray over modelling the Astute and then it Hit me. You have the internet at your disposal and willingness to do what needs to be done.

I present you with the HMS Astute S119 Fast Attack Submarine,

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/Kira_Yoshida/MOD.jpg

She is in S3d without a fight I might add, She has several problems I need to sort out first before she's ready to go in game. So first things first. The texture has already been mapped and designed by the creator of this fair model yet when I try to add her to the model once it's in S3D I get this!

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/Kira_Yoshida/MOD-1.jpg

I'm no expert and so this problem might take a day or two to sort out but We'll get there. And this brings me on to my second problem with the model.

The Rudder, Dive planes and propeller aren't properly situated on the nodes and so when I tested the Astute in game the rudders dissapeared down yonder as I dived due to the space that causes the rudder to rotate way to far from the pivot or node point.

Now to the solutions.

How do I get my texture to show and also fit my Model :06:
And how do I reposition the Models to the nodes :06: :06:

Any help would be appreciated and Please look forward to her being in game :salute:

Gibbs1
05-21-12, 01:10 AM
Hi,

What a nice boat. Are all nodes connected to their right parent ids?

peabody
05-21-12, 01:45 AM
Welcome to the now official HMS Astute mod Topic

del.

The Rudder, Dive planes and propeller aren't properly situated on the nodes and so when I tested the Astute in game the rudders dissapeared down yonder as I dived due to the space that causes the rudder to rotate way to far from the pivot or node point.

And how do I reposition the Models to the nodes :06: :06:

Any help would be appreciated and Please look forward to her being in game :salute:

For your rudders , dive planes and propeller, make sure in Blender when you create the object the 0,0,0 or 'center' is located at the the point you want to hinge or rotate. Then in the node make sure the start point for the animation is the same as the location of the node, and animate starting from that point.

Peabody

iowa101
05-21-12, 08:05 AM
Done the node problem now, just a case of them being of their geometry, Now I need to know why I'm getting a black texture??

Karle94
05-21-12, 09:22 AM
Done the node problem now, just a case of them being of their geometry, Now I need to know why I'm getting a black texture??

Try inverting the normals.

iowa101
05-21-12, 09:29 AM
Ok so I have no clue how to do that, I thought it would be an option in S3D but the texture still remains black no matter what I do.

jhapprich
05-21-12, 09:34 AM
is the texture embedded in the texture node or is it defined as external eg. txr#hmsastute_T_01.dds?

if it is external,the texture will only show up if you enable the mod and place the texture into the sub`s folder

iowa101
05-21-12, 09:47 AM
I don't know I've never gotten this far before and I just imported the Astute into one of my downloaded mod submarines.

I don't know what to do, Does anyone have the ability to sort it out. and send it back :06::06:

jhapprich
05-21-12, 09:59 AM
please keep the download small, i only need the model, the .dat and the texture

iowa101
05-21-12, 02:13 PM
I found a list of bugs, and I need solutions

1. The Astute is set to a surface depth of 40ft but when she loads in game she sits well above the water, I've tried everything but can't seem to figure out why it won't sit properly on the water.

2. The astute is bigger than the submarine I used so when I fire a torpedo she comes out the top of the submarine, I want it to come from where the doors are on the submarine but I don't know how.

3. Now for the last problem, When I pull and emergence turn, hard to port/ starboard the submarine goes into a dive, now I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure it's not mean to do that. How do I fix this??

peabody
05-21-12, 06:14 PM
I found a list of bugs, and I need solutions

1. The Astute is set to a surface depth of 40ft but when she loads in game she sits well above the water, I've tried everything but can't seem to figure out why it won't sit properly on the water.

2. The astute is bigger than the submarine I used so when I fire a torpedo she comes out the top of the submarine, I want it to come from where the doors are on the submarine but I don't know how.

3. Now for the last problem, When I pull and emergence turn, hard to port/ starboard the submarine goes into a dive, now I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure it's not mean to do that. How do I fix this??

1 :hmmm: Does it sit about 40ft above the surface? you tried everything? Like what? There is surface depth in the cfg file and the .sim file try starting at 0 and go from there. Not enough info to tell the exact problem.

2. Move the tube, and the animation in the dat file.

3. Do you have the diveplanes and rudders mixed up? Hard to tell much without files.

iowa101
05-21-12, 06:20 PM
Ok so over the last few hours I've been in battle with my Astute, and finally I took another look at the DDS file of my texture an what do you know....

Eleven layers stopped the image from showing and so I deleted 10 of them and this is the result.
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/Kira_Yoshida/MOD-2.jpg

The texture is quite nice in my opinion, thank you to Jhapprich for offering to help with it and please don't hesitate to offer again :salute:
Now with the texture in place and the sub looking very well indeed I'm left with a few more problems, First is the fact that when I turn either hard to starboard or the other direction, the Astute begins a slow but constant dive, I'm still unaware of what's causing such an action but if anyone can help me find a solution that would be great.

iowa101
05-21-12, 06:26 PM
In response to peabody,

It sits about 40ft above the water I think, looks to be that high anyway, and I've made sure that the rudder and dive planes are the right ones.

peabody
05-21-12, 07:07 PM
In response to peabody,

It sits about 40ft above the water I think, looks to be that high anyway, and I've made sure that the rudder and dive planes are the right ones.

That was my point, if it is set to +40 and it is sitting that high then lower the setting in cfg and sim.

Did you double check the sim for front diveplanes, aft diveplanes and rudder settings?

iowa101
05-21-12, 07:45 PM
Well just test my Astute in game again, after figuring out the texture, sorting out the depth problem and found a slight confusing problem.
my texture shows in S3D but when I went into game and tested it I got a green and orange camo pattern, why hasn't it showed and what's with the wacky paint job??

peabody
05-21-12, 09:27 PM
:yeah: You got it under control, no problem.

iowa101
05-21-12, 10:17 PM
There's nothing under control about this paint job :haha: oh I wonder sometimes if god don't like me :wah:

jhapprich
05-22-12, 03:12 AM
the texture-coordinates are wrong.

iowa101
05-22-12, 05:36 AM
Surely if the texture appears to be right in S3D then it's OK right?, I did uv map the model again and the texture went all squiffed and deformed. I'm not sure why it appears perfect in S3D but is there a way of sorting it out with out having to re-map it?

iowa101
05-22-12, 02:03 PM
Alright, I have fumbled around for the last 12 hrs trying to sort out my texture issue, Now Jhapprich said that the texture coordinates are wrong and so I been trying to figure why the texture shows perfectly in s3d if the coordinates are wrong, any ideas would be helpful

Karle94
05-22-12, 02:07 PM
Is it in-game id does`t show up? Have you tried to have an embedded image in the material node?

iowa101
05-22-12, 02:14 PM
What do you mean, Embedded image in the material?? is that in s3d?? and would it be dds or another image format.

Karle94
05-22-12, 02:19 PM
What do you mean, Embedded image in the material?? is that in s3d?? and would it be dds or another image format.

DDS and TGA or just about any other formats. yes it`s S3D. You have a material node, it`s linked to a texture. You can create an embedded image and import the texture into there. For help, look at any of my ships.

iowa101
05-22-12, 03:08 PM
We have success, Texture works and my fish count is up to 38 also, life is grand, just a few minor issues to work out then I'll get started on some Missions for her.

I'll make a list of the minor issues, then if you guys can give a solution that would be great.

1. When I dive the sub takes it's sweet time to do so, then when I ordered it to surface it has a lot of difficulty. How do I solve this?
2. I want to add a Radar mast and position my Periscopes properly so they raise where their meant to in real life. Also they only raise slightly above the conning tower and don't breach the surface at all. How would I fix this?
3. I want to have my subs radar and sonar to match the real life equipment she has as much as possible. What files do I change??
4. I want to add a new torpedo like the ADCAP and also if possible a tomahawk missile/ torpedo.

Karle94
05-22-12, 03:15 PM
We have success, Texture works and my fish count is up to 38 also, life is grand, just a few minor issues to work out then I'll get started on some Missions for her.

I'll make a list of the minor issues, then if you guys can give a solution that would be great.

1. When I dive the sub takes it's sweet time to do so, then when I ordered it to surface it has a lot of difficulty. How do I solve this?
2. I want to add a Radar mast and position my Periscopes properly so they raise where their meant to in real life. Also they only raise slightly above the conning tower and don't breach the surface at all. How would I fix this?
3. I want to have my subs radar and sonar to match the real life equipment she has as much as possible. What files do I change??
4. I want to add a new torpedo like the ADCAP and also if possible a tomahawk missile/ torpedo.

1. Change the ballast ratings and drag ratings for the planes.
2. Change the positioning of the periscopes/radar mast(s) Usually there`s a file for the conning tower. The 01 and 02 are the ones for the periscopes.
3. Do you mean performance. Making a seperate file for your equipment is good. For that, copy the stock ones and change the 3D models.
4. You`ll have to modify existing ones as it`s impossible to make new ones.

iowa101
05-22-12, 03:22 PM
Ok, And what files would I copy, because I have Sensors_sub_US.dat/cam/sim/val and zon files in my mod folder.

Do those count as separate files from the stock ones?

Karle94
05-22-12, 03:36 PM
Ok, And what files would I copy, because I have Sensors_sub_US.dat/cam/sim/val and zon files in my mod folder.

Do those count as separate files from the stock ones?

Yes. After copying them, rename the ids so there`s no confusion.

iowa101
05-22-12, 05:08 PM
How do I rename the id's, and do I copy the files in my mod folder or copy them from the game folder??

Karle94
05-22-12, 06:08 PM
How do I rename the id's, and do I copy the files in my mod folder or copy them from the game folder??

Right click on a node and press assign new random id.
From the games folder.

iowa101
05-25-12, 07:55 AM
I've been hard at work the last few hours and I am now testing to see if the mod works and find any bugs that might need addressing.

Yamato_NF
05-26-12, 05:16 PM
any updates yoshida? :06:

iowa101
05-26-12, 10:25 PM
At the moment Karle and I are working on making her career playable, she has a few problems that need to be addressed. hopefully she will be up for download in just a day or two. Depending on what we find during the initial in game testing, it might be a day longer but hopefully she'll be good to go. The problems we're looking into at the moment are they radar and sonar, she also has problems with surfacing and she's easily found by sub chasers.

I've tried to take some screens of her in game but when I go to find them, their not where their meant to be. So it might take a while.

Yamato_NF
05-27-12, 07:48 PM
At the moment Karle and I are working on making her career playable, she has a few problems that need to be addressed. hopefully she will be up for download in just a day or two. Depending on what we find during the initial in game testing, it might be a day longer but hopefully she'll be good to go. The problems we're looking into at the moment are they radar and sonar, she also has problems with surfacing and she's easily found by sub chasers.

I've tried to take some screens of her in game but when I go to find them, their not where their meant to be. So it might take a while.
I can be a beta tester if you like!;)

Yamato_NF

jhapprich
05-30-12, 06:53 AM
Alright, people, i started work on your astute this morning and frankly the mod is a mess. this is what i made so far: correcting the UPC`s.
adding torpedo-tubes and-flaps to the model.
corrected the backplane( there are a stabalizer AND a plane!). assigning of the correct id`s.
new conning -tower file.
deleting of nonsense-entries in the dat`s,zon`s and sim`s. reworking the campaing-files and flottilas. renaming of the file-tree.

still to do: proper armament in the US torpedo library
adjusting the conning tower nodes, instruments etc.

assigning sonar and radar and editing the sensor database ( do NEVER add new sensors otherwise, extra files wont work properly!)

new Sail Bridge model( maybe) and cutoffs for the extensibles.

besides, it`s a fine ship,but the model needs some corrections to the smoothing.
ill keep u posted!

iowa101
05-30-12, 12:36 PM
Well, so not bad for the first mod I've done then lol

jhapprich
05-30-12, 01:41 PM
you got mail.

Kilian14
05-31-12, 09:28 AM
I gave the Astute a try this morning. I have to say that I really enjoyed it ! The model is quite detailed and its combat performances are good. Now I can't wait to have the sonar/hydrophone working.

I noted that she makes bubbles while at periscope depth. There is also some kind of a weird line appearing behind the sail and linking it to the main body of the sub.

iowa101
06-01-12, 06:26 AM
Yeah, the line or wire as I think of it as, came as part of the model, everytime it tried to remove it, the model wouldn't go into s3d.