PDA

View Full Version : SH5 and Linux

dthomo
05-20-12, 01:38 AM
Has anyone ran SH5 on a Linux system (any distro)? I know WINE can be used but I believe that it is very limited in the Mods that work. Are there any other restrictions?
Any help and/or advice would be very much appreciated.

Castorp24
05-23-12, 11:30 AM
Hi.

I see that no one answered yet, so I thought I'd say something. I love and enjoy Linux and commit my most important documents to a Debian 6.0 OS. I am aware that a few good games run nicely with Wine, but I don't think that will be the case with SH5. I've never tested this, though.
Personally, I finally chose to partition my hard drive in two sections, a main one with Debian and a second one with WindowsXP which I use mainly to play games.
You could do the same... or try SH5 with Wine... and share your findings here...:D

SilentOtto
05-25-12, 01:29 PM
Hey!

According to the info at winehq here http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19549 it should work, and quite some people have been able to run it (though they only talk about SH5 v1.1 and not 1.2.

Right now I have installed it under ubuntu 12.04, I could setup and update it.
But it does not run. I'm getting a heap error and am looking for more info to try and correct it. I'll post if I find out anything else, but you might be lucky! Nowadays you can run many windows games with wine, and more so if they are not-so-new releases such as sh5.

Good luck!

*Edit to share here, that I haven't been able to run SH5 but SH4 runs flawlessly under wine 1.4 in Ubuntu 12.04 (xubuntu to be precise). And SH4 + TMO/OTC or SH4 + OM/OMEGU are more than enough for my subsimming needs!

** It's been some years now that I don't use windows and hopefully won't ever again use it. Linux has become so good for my needs, and so worries-free that I can't be arsed to suffer windows troubles again. Plus, now my friends/relatives can't bug me with their windows problems, since "I have forgotten most about that OS" :D

Paco
05-30-12, 03:46 AM
Hi,

on my ubuntu 12.04 the game does not install properly with PlayOnLinux. It hangs at the end of the installation. I'm using a 64bit ubuntu, SH3 works fine with GWX and JSGME.

Have You installed winetricks and the packages as mentioned in WineHQ.

Greets,
Paco.

SilentOtto
06-07-12, 09:08 AM
Hi Paco,
Yes I installed all the required packages, and didnt use PlayonLinux, I used "vanilla" 1.4 wine. As I said before, I can install it perfectly, the installer runs great and it updates too. But it doesnt run at all.

I stopped trying since I have SH4 working perfectly ;)

SilentOtto
06-12-12, 06:11 AM
Hi again,

I have some more info regarding SH5 and linux, though I'm playing SH4 full time, but curiosity made me install SH5 again. This time I just installed everything, the first time I had not installed that Uplay ****, and that was part of the problem.

Now, installing the game with everything, it again updated itself and then updated uplay. I setup an account (which I didnt have yet) and everything looked good... until I tried to start the game, it failed.

Wine logs inspected, and searched on the webs, I found out this:

Bug 28119 - Games with UPlay won't start due to ReadFileEx failture (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28119)

So this leaves us with two choices, both involving a patch.

Someone has posted on the link above a patch (he calls it a hack ;D) for wine source code. So solution one is downloading current wine source, apply this patch, compile it for your system and hope it works (it seems to work for all other ubi games, like assassins creed and some more).

Solution two would involve patching another thing, with a patch available in the web too, but which we should not mention here.

So, now i'm deciding what to do, you can bet I felt like an idiot (again) with my original SH5 copy and its serial number, with my uplay account, and again not working because of a ***** copy protection scheme.

Talk about a love-hate feeling for a developing company!

Best wishes

Edited because Grandpa says I'm a badmouth ;)

SilentOtto
06-12-12, 12:12 PM
So, I finally have gotten SH5 working under linux! (xubuntu 12.04 in my case).

Basically I had to do what I said above:

1) Download wine source (I used latest 1.5.6 from sourceforge) here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/files/Source/wine-1.5.6.tar.bz2/download

2) Extract in your docs folder (or wherever) with:

tar -xvfj wine-1.5.6.tar.bz2

Apply patch http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=40106

(save the code as a regular file, in wine source folder (wine-1.5.6) name it for example hack-patch)

patch -Np1 -i hack-patch

3) In order to be able to compile wine, you need a lot of developing libraries you probably won't have in your system. Fortunately, in Ubuntu there is a very easy way to do this, with:

sudo apt-get build-dep wine1.4

(this installs all the needed libs for wine 1.4, it worked perfectly with 1.5 too)

in my system it downloaded about 200Megs of data :doh:

4) verify everything is ok with

./configure

5) if reported ok, you can then

make

6) magic will happen for a few minutes while new wine is compiled.
then the command

sudo make install

will setup your new wine binaries

7) Done!!

PS: Unfortunately in my first test sh5 runs sloooow compared to Sh4. That was to be expected, when the kids go to bed i'll test it a bit more, but I could load one of the historical missions and mess around a bit. Though I didnt go inside since I have no mods installed yet, and I never cared much to learn the new (silly?) sh5 interface! :rotfl2:

Anyway my objective is achieved, I wanted to get the thing working, even if I don't play it! :arrgh!:

Edited for clarity

Echolot
06-12-12, 03:08 PM
Hello SilentOtto.

Thank you. Can I ask what gfx card do you have?

Mine is AMD HD5870, I think Ubuntu runs better with nVidia cards :cry:

I will try this the next days.

Again, thank you.

Regards.

Echol:arrgh!:t.

SilentOtto
06-12-12, 03:23 PM
Hey!

I have a nVidia GT-240, nothing fancy at all :)

And yes I have been using nvidia cards for quite a while since the drivers are sooo much better in linux than ATI ones. As you probably know nvidia doesnt release their code but they keep updating and improving binary drivers all the time, the difference is really big, so all linux versions will run better with these cards, just because of the drivers.

I am now trying to patch the exe with tdw's patcher, first try didnt work for a .NET issue. Am setting up newer .NET via winetricks. Then I'll try to get some mods running (the UI one first or I don't know what the hell to do anywhere! xD). It's not going as slow as I thought, first try i had a lot of stuff running on the background.

One awesome thing about running SH4 and SH5 under linux is you have no prob at all switching tasks, you can minimize, send back and bring forward the game window with no problems at all! Take that windows users!

Good luck with your setup, if I can help you later on just tell me and I'll try! :ping:

Echolot
06-12-12, 03:42 PM
Good luck with your setup, if I can help you later on just tell me and I'll try!:salute:

PS The laptop also have AMD graphics :rotfl2:

.Net with wine :doh:

Can we patch the exe under windows and copy over to the linux system?

SilentOtto
06-12-12, 03:49 PM
You would feel the PAIN there! :wah:

Can we patch the exe under windows and copy over to the linux system?

Well I think you could do that of course. I'm running into a problem since I don't have windows anymore, my netbook (which was dual boot) is mostly dead so I can't boot a windows system (also, I don't want to! xD) TDW's patcher requires .NET 3.5 and that is not working well under linux (i'm reading about that now, some ppl seem to have gotten it to work, but I can't) and even if you can install it many apps don't work well with it...

So it would be a good idea to patch the exe somewhere. Hell I can go to my sister's with usb key with sh5 and patcher and that would be it ;)

SilentOtto
06-19-12, 01:55 PM
Just to share that with the new .exe that TDW has been kind enough to prepare (compiled against .NET 2.0 instead of 3.5) there is no problem at all to patch sh5.exe under linux. Am running it patched, so cool! :ping:

Paco
06-19-12, 02:46 PM
Just to share that with the new .exe that TDW has been kind enough to prepare (compiled against .NET 2.0 instead of 3.5) there is no problem at all to patch sh5.exe under linux. Am running it patched, so cool! :ping:

hm, I still have problems compiling wine (32bit) in an 64 bit ubuntu :wah:

From repository without the patch, the installation failed. Ok, still on windows-patrol.... :lost:

SilentOtto
06-19-12, 02:57 PM
I am using 32 bit ubuntu but with the pae kernel which allows to use up to 8Gb of RAM... Though I have an AMD64, I didnt want to do a full reinstall when I upgraded MoBo-Processor and RAM so I updated the distro instead...

What problem do you find exactly when trying to compile? Or is it when running the binary later?

Paco
06-19-12, 05:26 PM
What problem do you find exactly when trying to compile? Or is it when running the binary later?

I have tried it last week. I think, I have had the following problems:

Compiling a 32 bit wine in an ubuntu 12.04 64bit does not work, because there are problems with the depencies to the 32bit development-files (asked google for help, but its a problem with the 64bit 12.04.)

Compiling wine64 with the patch was no problem, but installing the game does not work, because its 32 bit and the SH5 installer did not open.

At this point I stopped my work, because I need my, of course, good working ubuntu and didn't want to wrecked it with the wine/PoL mixes, because of using some other wine bottles with windows-programs I still need for my work.

Perhaps I will setup a Virtual-Box and will do some tests there. Setup a 32 bit environment and install the game there in one bottle, transfer the bottle to my 64 bit ubuntu. Sometimes the transfer of a bottle to another system works, but I havent tested it with a transfer from an 32 to 64 bit ubuntu yet.

Many thanks for Your time,
Paco.

SilentOtto
06-21-12, 04:12 PM
Hmmm yes I have been reading a bit about it and there are indeed quite a few problems for the coexistence of 32 and 64 bit wine's under ubuntu 64...

(I had read about other problems with other software and that scared me from upgrading to 64 in my system, though I know I lose some performance. But the pae kernels for using 8GB of RAM are enough for me).

Probably you read this wine wiki page: Building 32-bit Wine on a 64-bit (x86-64) system (http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit#head-b62ae8f996e97e1df7258bb8eaec2e83e54ca799) especially the part about using the ppa for the latest updates, like

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get build-dep wine1.4:i386

before configure and make?

I see you are in a tough road, if you feel like it, please keep updating how it goes for you, maybe I can help if only morally! :salute:

SilentOtto
07-26-12, 05:35 AM
I come back to this thread to post an info which may be useful for someone (well, if someone) has a double install of SH4 and SH5 in Linux, like me.

A trick I thought of, and has worked like a charm, is using a soft link (ln -s) to have the same stuff in Radio and Gramophone in both games. Since radio.ini is compatible, and also Gramophone, I removed both folders in my SH5 install, then soft linked with ln -s [SH4 Radio Folder] [SH5 Radio Folder], same for Gramophone, and it worked!

So this way I saved quite a few GB from my disk. Also, my SH5 crew is awed at their radio man ability to tune in to radio stations half a world apart... Well, propagation does weird and funny stuff sometimes!

Hope someone else can use the trick! (Probably not you, windows users :P)

SilentOtto
07-31-12, 05:55 PM
Today I learned that debugview works under wine! :up:

salamanderrake
09-10-12, 03:16 PM
I baught sh5 the other day because i thought it looked awsome in the youtube videos sinking boats and stuff. Well needless to say i got the steam version which seams not to run in wine. Steam works fine and so does uplay but running the game in offline mode with safe mode (since hitting the play button cause it to loop or something) it plays the movie intro and dies. i dont know whats wrong i have every thing enabled/installed according to the appdb for wine and in wine 1.5.12 all the nessery patches have been applied so i dont know whats going on. if anyone has the wine 1.2 version running please let me know what you had to do to get it to run.

bmaxa
09-25-12, 02:06 AM
I succeed in running game on linux (ubuntu 12.04 64 bit and latest wine).
It needs vc2005,vc 2008,net 2.0, and directx 9c (one that came with a game
do not install one that comes with winetricks)).
tdw ui does not works properly , magui works but causes crash in combination
wit irai and ui boat does not works in campaign mode (crew icon is disabled).
So basically I play plain ui with open horizons and irai.
Hope this helps.

salamanderrake
09-29-12, 12:11 PM
What are all the mods you use or are the two you mentioned it?

bmaxa
09-29-12, 04:41 PM
Only open horizons II and irai 0.37, but I added additional crew commands.
I think that wine 1.5.14 broke something as game started to crash
on wine prefix I have installed. When I created clean 32bit prefix, installed
vcrun 2008/2005/ directx 9 from winetricks, game started to behave normally
again.
Game is in dir I have installed but I just set up new wineprefix.

salamanderrake
09-30-12, 05:31 PM
Here are a list of mods i have installed. Tried the UI-Boats mod as a replacement but couldnt remember what went wrong with it (other then being lost, one of the items covered the hole screen and i couldnt see past it.) So im using the stock ui. This is based off of sobers mega mod list minus some stuff.

Sobers mega mod.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192374

Had to disable sobers Lighting cfg due to performance hits. I have a nvidia 9800gt with 1GIG or ram. And i added Advanced Shift Keys 2.3 DBSM Original for Ui-Boat because i believe the game needs more key commands.

Accurate German Flags
RemoveLogoIntroTheDarkWraith
DBM Background Video
sobers green spinning thing SH5
NDB,NDH OM#1 - No Dialog Indicator
Real Environment - Revision_3
sobers base sky mechanics V1
Capthelms Audio+SV Touch Ups
sobers better terrain v3 SH5
North Atlantic Green 1.1
Small_trees_SH5_V1
sobers see thru wake fix
sobers_realistic_underwater_FX2
Window_Lights_Redone_V1
NOZAURIO'S SKIN (Standar No Emblem) v-1.0.0
Pascal-sh5-Crew-Uniforms. 12.2011
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2.2 Patch
SH5_7A_Conning_Fix
Fuel Gauge WoGaDi_SteelViking's Interior
MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Alt faces
MCCD_1.04_MFCM_1.2.1_compatible
Speech fixes and additions (german version)
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_byTheBeast
#Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1_HotFix
Eqp_Upgrades_fix_v1.4 dates by sober Patch V2
SH5 Longer Repairs v.1
AI_sub_crew_1_0_2_TheDarkWraith
FX_Update_0_0_19_ByTheDarkWraith
IRAI_0_0_37_ByTheDarkWraith
TDW_No_Hydrophone_On_Surface_1_1_0
TDW_Ship_Inertia_1_1_0
Cerberus62 Corrected Depth Charge Projector 1.0
KZS Hull wetness for U-Boats + co tower and deck_revised_by_TheDarkWraith
3D_Deck_Splash_FX_v1_0_0_byTheBeast
3D_Deck_Splash_FX_v1_0_0_KZS_Compat_byTheBeast
Sub_Bubbles_v0_0_3_ byTheBeast
OPEN HORIZONS II_base v2
OPEN HORIZONS II_enviro v2
Reworked Morale and Abilities v.1.1
sobers green crew training V4 SH5
TDW FX Fix for Sobers chimney smoke
IO_StrategicMap_4_2_for_stock
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk
sobers NO water drops V1
smaller flags for Warships 1_0b
sobers rusty deck pack SH5
sobers hud sounds V1 SH5
sobers no footstep sound mod
sobers DOF V2 SH5
EQuaTool 01.01 by AvM - Large Style
Shadow Improvement ModLR
sobers bad weather deck gun V1 SH5
Advanced Shift Keys 2.3 DBSM Original for Ui-Boat

salamanderrake
10-01-12, 12:31 PM
I added back reaper7's UI-Boat mod since one the graphical issue i thought was actually done purposefully, and i can live with the Attack Disk as it is right now since i can close it. Also it is taking me some time to get used to it. Right now im trying to see if adding TDW's Real Navigation is possible or if that is dependent on his NewUI's mod.

salamanderrake
10-01-12, 05:31 PM
Forgot to ask but do you also have to play silent hunter 5 is safe mode?

bmaxa
10-02-12, 09:53 AM
What is safe mode? I play normally in 32 bit prefix.
1280x1024 19'' monitor(all on high settings with full anti aliasing). Game plays smoothly in gnome-shell, while in KDE is somewhat choppy.
Interestingly game crashes with latest wine in KDE, while in gnome-shell
it plays ;)

salamanderrake
10-02-12, 10:16 AM
In Uplay there is a Play button next to Silent Hunter 5 and next to that is an arrow if you click the arrow you can Launch in safe mode or uninstall. If I click play the game locks up on start up so I have to play it in safe mode. Of course I have the steam version so don't know if that would cause that. What dll's do you have overloaded in wine?