PDA

View Full Version : Depth charged at periscope depth no damage!

jldjs
05-19-12, 10:25 PM
Just an observation. I remained at P depth while being attacked with depth charges (TMO 2.5 & RSRD) and surprisingly suffered no damage. They must have exploded well below me! This seems unrealistic but if not, have I just discovered the obvious? Don't dive if you want escape depth charge damage!
Just looking for an explanation.

Hylander_1314
05-20-12, 04:51 AM
Don't use RSRD but I do use TMO. Depends on how fast you were going, and if they anticipated you diving, instead of remaining at P-depth.

I haven't been so lucky personally. Had to head back to base after tangling with a Jap TF, and lost my rear tubes. Of them all, I dislike the Fubuki DDs the most. They are one of the toughest DDs to sink, and if damaged, tend to stay in the fight.

jldjs
05-20-12, 08:00 AM
Don't use RSRD but I do use TMO. Depends on how fast you were going, and if they anticipated you diving, instead of remaining at P-depth.

I haven't been so lucky personally. Had to head back to base after tangling with a Jap TF, and lost my rear tubes. Of them all, I dislike the Fubuki DDs the most. They are one of the toughest DDs to sink, and if damaged, tend to stay in the fight.

I was at 70 feet, doing 2kts, Nov 12-14, Guadalcanal battle. I decided to see how fast I would be destroyed and to my surprise after 4 DDs dumped all over me I received no damage. So, as the battle continued I deployed the same strategy when a large convoy came down the Slot and the same result when 3 more DDs found me and dropped all over me. Not sure which DDs these were but some had Y-throwers. BTW, I am using TDW's depth charge splash effect and disturbance Mods but have no idea if either of these effects a DC damage zone.

Bubblehead1980
05-20-12, 04:37 PM
I was at 70 feet, doing 2kts, Nov 12-14, Guadalcanal battle. I decided to see how fast I would be destroyed and to my surprise after 4 DDs dumped all over me I received no damage. So, as the battle continued I deployed the same strategy when a large convoy came down the Slot and the same result when 3 more DDs found me and dropped all over me. Not sure which DDs these were but some had Y-throwers. BTW, I am using TDW's depth charge splash effect and disturbance Mods but have no idea if either of these effects a DC damage zone.

I think you just got lucky, it has happened to me before but have been other times, mainly in my noob days when I became fixated on a target and didnt realize the DD was on top of me, they dropped all over me and either sunk me outright or caused serious damage.

iowa101
05-20-12, 05:07 PM
I had that earlier today, was hit along to the top of the submarine by 5 depth charges, all on target and yet I received no actual damage, might just be a bug but I'm still alive because of it :hmmm:

bill clarke
05-24-12, 10:58 PM
I had similar in one of the missions, got enough damage to cause me to sink, that is electric engines, deisel engins bulkheads, aft batteries and flooding to stern tube room and motor room.

But no hull damage

Running RSRD but this diesn't affect the missions as far as I'm aware.