PDA

View Full Version : Where Is The Engine Telegraph "Ring" Sound Located?

Fish40
05-01-12, 09:47 AM
I play RFB, and when you order a change in speed, the Helmsman confirms the order, and you hear the telegraph "ring" as the new speed is rung up. The problem is, the sound in RFB sounds more like a bicycle bell ringing:nope: I've heard a different sound in some videos that I've seen, and too me they sound more realistic. It sounds close to the one heard in the movie Run Silent, Run Deep. I don't know if this is from a seperate sound mod, or another "mega mod". So where is this sound located? Is it attached to the voice commands in the Voice folders? Any help appreciated.

Bubblehead1980
05-01-12, 12:16 PM
I play RFB, and when you order a change in speed, the Helmsman confirms the order, and you hear the telegraph "ring" as the new speed is rung up. The problem is, the sound in RFB sounds more like a bicycle bell ringing:nope: I've heard a different sound in some videos that I've seen, and too me they sound more realistic. It sounds close to the one heard in the movie Run Silent, Run Deep. I don't know if this is from a seperate sound mod, or another "mega mod". So where is this sound located? Is it attached to the voice commands in the Voice folders? Any help appreciated.

There is a mod in subsim downloads called "speech overhaul" enable JSGME after RFB and RSRD(assume youre using it) itll work fine and correct the speech issues as well as adding the telegraph bell.

Armistead
05-01-12, 12:43 PM
You would look in

SH4/Data/Sound

Without looking into it, the speech files are basically just that, you'll see the sound files listed when you open Sound. Guessing, it's either attached to one of the speech files or more likely a sound file, just look at the files for something that might say bell, etc...

If someone doesn't answer, I'll go looking for it later today.

Fish40
05-02-12, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys. @Bubblehead, that's the mod I'm useing. The telegraph ring sounds like a bicycle bell. @Armistead, I didn't see any sound file in the Sound folder that pertained to the Telegraph bell:hmmm:

Webster
05-02-12, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys. @Bubblehead, that's the mod I'm useing. The telegraph ring sounds like a bicycle bell. @Armistead, I didn't see any sound file in the Sound folder that pertained to the Telegraph bell:hmmm:

you can remove any sound you dont like from a mod by uninstall and open the mod and the sound folder within it, then click on each sound to play it, windows media player will play it for you.

when you find the bell sound you dont like then just delete it and then when you reinstall and use the mod everything works the same but you will have the stock sound (or whatever sound was being used before the mod you edited) used for that sound again

Armistead
05-02-12, 04:58 PM

Are you looking in the sound files of RFB or stock. I don't know if RFB changed the sound, but I found a sound in stock files called Submarine Bell that sounds like a bicycle bell...check your stock sound files and see if that's what you're hearing, if so, just search for sub bell sounds, etc..online for a wav file you like or inside another sound mod.

I combined several sound mods and used others off the net I like, just when you replace a sound file, make sure you name your new sound using the same name as the one your replacing, then paste it and it should overwrite existing file.

Fish40
05-03-12, 11:37 AM
OK, I seemed to have found what I was looking for. The sound is indeed in the Speech folders. The voice mod that I presently use, adds a seperate file for the Telegraph. Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about that particular sound since it sounds like a bicycle bell. The other sound, the one I liked better, is actually from Poul's Sound Mod for SH4. The only thing is, his telegraph sound is attached to the voice commands. If I want to use this sound, I'm gonna have to swap out the voice commands files.

Webster
05-03-12, 11:56 AM
OK, I seemed to have found what I was looking for. The sound is indeed in the Speech folders. The voice mod that I presently use, adds a seperate file for the Telegraph. Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about that particular sound since it sounds like a bicycle bell. The other sound, the one I liked better, is actually from Poul's Sound Mod for SH4. The only thing is, his telegraph sound is attached to the voice commands. If I want to use this sound, I'm gonna have to swap out the voice commands files.

hate to tell you but if the sounds are in the speech files then it gets even worse then that, the speech files have 9 folders, this is because the game will randomly use any one of these folders so the voices are different for you each time (or is supposed to be) but the way sounds work in the game doesnt work correctly most of the time which is why sounds often dont get played when they are supposed to.

this means you will need to change all 9 folders sound file and in each of those 9 folders there are 3 files for each sound and they are used at different times. one is quiet or a whisper for silent running, the other is a normal tone for normal conditions, and the last is exited or shouted for battlestations or alarm conditions.

all this means that you will need to change all 27 files for this one sound