PDA

View Full Version : Mod request: Rangefinder scope on Deckgun

Generalee
03-05-12, 12:31 PM
Hello, I have been playing silent hunter 4 since the beginning of the weekend :yeah:, and I have downloaded a few mods, like the Bismarck surface vessel battleship and the yamato. Until recently, I have not seen any combat fleets, and when I seen one, I got half destroyed, and got next to no hits with the main deckgun...:damn: I would like to know if there is a mod anywhere on the internet that has a scope on the deckgun that tells you range, and if so, I would like the link.

ps: I would also be interested in surface vessels mod links... :D

Thanks Ahead of time

Generalee

Generalee
03-05-12, 01:50 PM
Hello?!

Can anyone answer me, Id love to have the answer today and not next week :D

Generalee

peabody
03-05-12, 04:18 PM
Hello?!

Can anyone answer me, Id love to have the answer today and not next week :D

Generalee

Not very patient? People don't just sit here in front of their computers in case you ask a question. Give it a little time, a lot of people actually have a job, a family and other responsibilities. Relax, it has only been about 1 1/2 hours.

In the meantime, that may be possible but I don't know of a mod that exists for it. If it uses a German interior you can use the UZO to get a range and then return to the gun. If the ship uses the US interior you can use the statimeter to find the range.

Welcome to subsim. People are willing to help, but not if you want your answer NOW. You will have to wait until someone reads your question. Relax, you will make more friends and get more answers that way.

Peabody

Klaus
03-05-12, 05:20 PM
a mod like that don't exist
you can use UZO/TBT, sonar, radar, map instruments, or combination of all these to find out distance, you must approximate target's direction and speed etc. This is charm of this game, that's why we're playing for years and have not bored :)
and make some time looking here, you will find all ships you want, submarine and surface vessels from Flying Dutchman :) to cold war era
http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/Hotmanandre
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21355586/SMSHelgoland_Emden.zip
http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/wevbarker2011
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21355190/IJN+FUSO%5BFixed%5D.rar
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21190228/IJNTakao.7z
http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/Karle94
there you have few :)
good luck and have fun!:salute:

Generalee
03-05-12, 07:04 PM
Not very patient? People don't just sit here in front of their computers in case you ask a question. Give it a little time, a lot of people actually have a job, a family and other responsibilities. Relax, it has only been about 1 1/2 hours.

In the meantime, that may be possible but I don't know of a mod that exists for it. If it uses a German interior you can use the UZO to get a range and then return to the gun. If the ship uses the US interior you can use the statimeter to find the range.

Welcome to subsim. People are willing to help, but not if you want your answer NOW. You will have to wait until someone reads your question. Relax, you will make more friends and get more answers that way.

Peabody

Sorry if I lost patience, I wasn't having a good day... thanks for the tips

a mod like that don't exist
you can use UZO/TBT, sonar, radar, map instruments, or combination of all these to find out distance, you must approximate target's direction and speed etc. This is charm of this game, that's why we're playing for years and have not bored :)
and make some time looking here, you will find all ships you want, submarine and surface vessels from Flying Dutchman :) to cold war era
http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/Hotmanandre
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21355586/SMSHelgoland_Emden.zip
http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/wevbarker2011
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21355190/IJN+FUSO%5BFixed%5D.rar
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21190228/IJNTakao.7z
http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/Karle94
there you have few :)
good luck and have fun!:salute:

Thanks a lot for the tips and the links, I am sure I will find good stuff in those links, I had a look at a couple, and they look good :D

Sailor Steve
03-05-12, 09:18 PM
Sorry if I lost patience, I wasn't having a good day...
We all have those, and it's a sign of character when we acknowledge it.

WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

CapnScurvy
03-06-12, 09:39 AM
It's possible to make a different deck gun lens view that puts telemeter divisions onto the scope lens (much like the periscope or TBT views). You would have to adjust the divisions to actually work with the correct scale the deck gun camera.dat file uses. Then you would have to add a tool like the Range Omnimeter to calculate the range to target when counting the telemeter divisions. Either that, or you get the ol' calculator out to figure the trig problem of changing height into distance when a particular angle is known.

But, that may be the easy part. I would think the deck gun camera may be effected by the differences in the particular game resolutions that the periscope and TBT views have. Depending on which resolution/aspect ratio your particular game computer uses will create a difference in scale for the deck gun view. In other words, one fix won't work for everyone. That's not a real big problem to make, but it just makes a fix all the harder to accept when a gamer has to think for himself "What fix do I need to use for the resolution my system uses?"

Their more likely to say "Forget it, I'll just pop a few caps and figure range by watching my shells fall short, or going too long!"

Mikemike47
03-06-12, 10:29 AM
I have Trigger Maru 2.5 installed as a mod. I do not know if the following is a stock or Trigger option added.
Use UZO to find the range to target. Go to the deck gun staion and then hit the TAB key. The TAB key gives the range options. You can zoom in or out of the range, found by the UZO, with the up and down keys.

Generalee
03-06-12, 11:41 AM
We all have those, and it's a sign of character when we acknowledge it.

WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

Thanks Steve, I am happy to be a member of this forum

It's possible to make a different deck gun lens view that puts telemeter divisions onto the scope lens (much like the periscope or TBT views). You would have to adjust the divisions to actually work with the correct scale the deck gun camera.dat file uses. Then you would have to add a tool like the Range Omnimeter to calculate the range to target when counting the telemeter divisions. Either that, or you get the ol' calculator out to figure the trig problem of changing height into distance when a particular angle is known.

But, that may be the easy part. I would think the deck gun camera may be effected by the differences in the particular game resolutions that the periscope and TBT views have. Depending on which resolution/aspect ratio your particular game computer uses will create a difference in scale for the deck gun view. In other words, one fix won't work for everyone. That's not a real big problem to make, but it just makes a fix all the harder to accept when a gamer has to think for himself "What fix do I need to use for the resolution my system uses?"

Their more likely to say "Forget it, I'll just pop a few caps and figure range by watching my shells fall short, or going too long!"

You seem to know how to do it, if you can do it, could you make it? It would help people with bad range estimation, and if you can't... well it's alright :D

I have Trigger Maru 2.5 installed as a mod. I do not know if the following is a stock or Trigger option added.
Use UZO to find the range to target. Go to the deck gun staion and then hit the TAB key. The TAB key gives the range options. You can zoom in or out of the range, found by the UZO, with the up and down keys.

I do not know either, but I will try it out and see if it works, and if it does, I will let you know :D

TBear
03-06-12, 12:40 PM
As a surface buff, the lack of some sort of firecontrol kinda have got to me.

I am working on something called UZO to firecontrol, the game have some "locked" things, but im working on forcing the game to a few things. I realy dont want to say to much since im in early "alpha" But hopefully when i with the help of a few others get the Takao mod completet you will se something that atleast will be more "surface" friendly....

But this is alot of coordinate work and trial and error.....

here is the original layout idea, it have changed alot, but give you an idea...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m256/Space_Vikings/firecontrol.gif

I will se if i can get a screen of the final layout. In there are range etc.....

TBear

Generalee
03-06-12, 01:25 PM
As a surface buff, the lack of some sort of firecontrol kinda have got to me.

I am working on something called UZO to firecontrol, the game have some "locked" things, but im working on forcing the game to a few things. I realy dont want to say to much since im in early "alpha" But hopefully when i with the help of a few others get the Takao mod completet you will se something that atleast will be more "surface" friendly....

But this is alot of coordinate work and trial and error.....

here is the original layout idea, it have changed alot, but give you an idea...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m256/Space_Vikings/firecontrol.gif

I will se if i can get a screen of the final layout. In there are range etc.....

TBear

And with this mod, I will be able to get range and/ or be able to lock the deckgun on ennemy ships? :D That would be cool

TBear
03-06-12, 01:33 PM
And with this mod, I will be able to get range and/ or be able to lock the deckgun on ennemy ships? :D That would be cool

well, realy cant say much since im not realy 100% sure this will work.....

The idea is that you use the UZO station that have been transformed into a firecontrol station. You lock get relevant information right there in one station. I have not planeed anything to the original way of the player main gun, since i kinda want the crew to do there job while im manouvering the ship.

I use angle on target alot, so im hanging in uzo station and manouver from there, thats why i got this idea to have the relevant information right there without clicking around....

Again, i have no idea if it will work....its alot of reading and manipulating....and it realy takes alot more time than i thought it would....

Main problem is that i have to use one base megamod since most mods have changes in the menu init....either i had to create it for stock or i had to create it for one mod. My base foundation is Fall of the rising sun mod...FOTRS....

Here is another CONCEPT layout....the final one is kinda between them....i will upload the final layout when i have time...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m256/Space_Vikings/Gui1.gif

TBear

Generalee
03-06-12, 01:35 PM
well, realy cant say much since im not realy 100% sure this will work.....

The idea is that you use the UZO station that have been transformed into a firecontrol station. You lock get relevant information right there in one station. I have not planeed anything to the original way of the player main gun, since i kinda want the crew to do there job while im manouvering the ship.

I sue angly on target alot, so im hanging in uzo station and manouver from there, thats why i got this idea to have the relevant information right there without clicking around....

Again, i have no idea if it will work....its alot of reading and manipulating....and it realy takes alot more time than i thought it would....

Main problem is that i have to use one base megamod since most mods have changes in the menu init....either i had to create it for stock or i had to create it for one mod. My base foundation is Fall of the rising sun mod...FOTRS....

TBear

No idea on release date do you? I would be interested in downloading :D and would the player still be able to shoot from the firecontrol, or is it just the crew who can shoot?

Generalee

TBear
03-06-12, 01:40 PM
No idea on release date do you? I would be interested in downloading :D and would the player still be able to shoot from the firecontrol, or is it just the crew who can shoot?

Generalee

release.....when its done :O:

Initialy no. The player stil have to use the "old" way. I might look into the player operatet gun later...but it all comes down to how well i can get the firecontrol to work.....:hmmm:

TBear

Generalee
03-06-12, 01:44 PM
release.....when its done :O:

Initialy no. The player stil have to use the "old" way. I might look into the player operatet gun later...but it all comes down to how well i can get the firecontrol to work.....:hmmm:

TBear

But I can still look at the fire control for the range, click on deckgun station, and fire manually without telling the crew to fire, or is the deckgun simply disabled for the player when using this mod? I am curious, because I am interested :D

Generalee

TBear
03-06-12, 01:50 PM
But I can still look at the fire control for the range, click on deckgun station, and fire manually without telling the crew to fire, or is the deckgun simply disabled for the player when using this mod? I am curious, because I am interested :D

Generalee

yes you can get the range from firecontrol, jump to gun and shoot like normal....player gun is stil playable....not toucthing that one....all i fool around with is order bar and UZO........

TBear

Generalee
03-06-12, 01:55 PM
yes you can get the range from firecontrol, jump to gun and shoot like normal....player gun is stil playable....not toucthing that one....all i fool around with is order bar and UZO........

TBear

Great,count on me to download when the mod is completed

Ps: Would you know a way of modifying the game so I can have all my surface vessels at the same time? It tells me the following: "Readme.cfg" has already been altered by the "Playable King George V Battleship V0.2" mod.
"CareerStart.upc" has already been altered by the "Playable King George V Battleship V0.2" mod.
"Flotillas.upc" has already been altered by the "Playable King George V Battleship V0.2" mod.
"UpgradePacks.upc" has already been altered by the "Playable King George V Battleship V0.2" mod.
"Weapons.upc" has already been altered by the "Playable King George V Battleship V0.2" mod.

What do I have to alter or do to avoid it to override and so that I can have many ships at a time?

Thanks

Generalee

TBear
03-06-12, 02:32 PM
Great,count on me to download when the mod is completed

Ps: Would you know a way of modifying the game so I can have all my surface vessels at the same time? It tells me the following: "Readme.cfg" has already been altered by the "Playable King George V Battleship V0.2" mod.
"CareerStart.upc" has already been altered by the "Playable King George V Battleship V0.2" mod.
"Flotillas.upc" has already been altered by the "Playable King George V Battleship V0.2" mod.
"UpgradePacks.upc" has already been altered by the "Playable King George V Battleship V0.2" mod.
"Weapons.upc" has already been altered by the "Playable King George V Battleship V0.2" mod.

What do I have to alter or do to avoid it to override and so that I can have many ships at a time?

Thanks

Generalee

This one is hard. Surface ships are normaly not working well toghter. Its a massive task to get everything to line up and work.

I realy dont have enough mod experience to explain all you need to do. To avoid this problem you are having im working on two ships that will be apart of my small mod. a 3rd ship might come in. You need to get the ships in a pack if you want them to work. The submarines normaly also will have some errors when installing surface ships. My best advice is to run one at the time. Maby Karles ships work in multible installs since hes the same creator....but realy dont know....

I make paralel work on the Furutaka beside my main ship Takao. Hopefully i can get a BB in there to, especialy the Kongo....but right now i work one ship at the time, when i get something that work on that one i copy/paste it to the other one....

This is the best answer i can give...sorry....

Generalee
03-06-12, 02:48 PM
This one is hard. Surface ships are normaly not working well toghter. Its a massive task to get everything to line up and work.

I realy dont have enough mod experience to explain all you need to do. To avoid this problem you are having im working on two ships that will be apart of my small mod. a 3rd ship might come in. You need to get the ships in a pack if you want them to work. The submarines normaly also will have some errors when installing surface ships. My best advice is to run one at the time. Maby Karles ships work in multible installs since hes the same creator....but realy dont know....

I make paralel work on the Furutaka beside my main ship Takao. Hopefully i can get a BB in there to, especialy the Kongo....but right now i work one ship at the time, when i get something that work on that one i copy/paste it to the other one....

This is the best answer i can give...sorry....

It's ok, you did your best to answer me, it doesn't matter if you don't know, no one knows everything :D

Generalee

peabody
03-06-12, 05:10 PM

Thanks

Generalee

You have to make sure all the necessary information is in ONE file. For example all the changes to CareerStart.upc for each ship have to be included in one CareerStart.upc.
To make it simple to understand an example: TBear is working on a MOD for the Takao, he obviously is not going to add a CareerStart for the King George V. So that means the LAST Careerstart.upc is the only one that will work right.
One progam I have found to be very helpful, especially with Menu1024_768.ini but will work with any file that you edit with notepad is called Winmerge.
So you get the warning for the Careerstart.upc. You open Winmerge and on one side you open the King George CareerStart.upc, and on the other side you open the Other CareerStart.upc (whatever that might be) and it will highlight the lines that are different. That may help you to fix them.

You only have to know what information must be changed and what does not. Another example: If in the Flotillas.upc the missions are different, it is ok to leave one or the other in as long as they are both missions for surface ships.

I don't have the King George so I will show an example of a CareerStart from the German uboat add on that we used for TBear to test the ships before he got his 'campaign' going.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9135/winmergecstart.jpg

As you see on the left is the Careerstart for the Takao and on the right is the Careerstart for the Furutaka. And the difference is highlighted. So obviously for it to work both ships have to be in one file, since as you said the last one installed overwrites the old one.
So this program may help you it may not. But it will show the difference in the two files.

Generalee
03-06-12, 06:20 PM
You have to make sure all the necessary information is in ONE file. For example all the changes to CareerStart.upc for each ship have to be included in one CareerStart.upc.
To make it simple to understand an example: TBear is working on a MOD for the Takao, he obviously is not going to add a CareerStart for the King George V. So that means the LAST Careerstart.upc is the only one that will work right.
One progam I have found to be very helpful, especially with Menu1024_768.ini but will work with any file that you edit with notepad is called Winmerge.
So you get the warning for the Careerstart.upc. You open Winmerge and on one side you open the King George CareerStart.upc, and on the other side you open the Other CareerStart.upc (whatever that might be) and it will highlight the lines that are different. That may help you to fix them.

You only have to know what information must be changed and what does not. Another example: If in the Flotillas.upc the missions are different, it is ok to leave one or the other in as long as they are both missions for surface ships.

I don't have the King George so I will show an example of a CareerStart from the German uboat add on that we used for TBear to test the ships before he got his 'campaign' going.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9135/winmergecstart.jpg

As you see on the left is the Careerstart for the Takao and on the right is the Careerstart for the Furutaka. And the difference is highlighted. So obviously for it to work both ships have to be in one file, since as you said the last one installed overwrites the old one.
So this program may help you it may not. But it will show the difference in the two files.

Wow... Thanks for the great info, that will help me lots in modding the upc career start, and by the way, I had a feeling that is where I had to start and that it had to go into one file, so modding is just pure common sense... Thanks peabody, I will use that information wisely and download the winmerge right now :D

Thanks

Generalee

DrBeast
03-06-12, 06:35 PM
Winmerge is made of WIN. Simple as that :up:

Generalee
03-06-12, 06:43 PM
Winmerge is made of WIN. Simple as that :up:

lol, yes.

I have a question, If I want to use two files for all the ships to work ingame example, for the german ships, all of them would be merged into the Ijn Takeo, and all the American ships would merged into the King George, is it possible, and if so, how do I do it? (instead of all the ships merged in one file so they all work, they would be seperated in two files, one allied, and one axis)

Generalee

peabody
03-06-12, 07:09 PM
lol, yes.

I have a question, If I want to use two files for all the ships to work ingame example, for the german ships, all of them would be merged into the Ijn Takeo, and all the American ships would merged into the King George, is it possible, and if so, how do I do it? (instead of all the ships merged in one file so they all work, they would be seperated in two files, one allied, and one axis)

Generalee

Each side has it's own set of files. The CareerStart.upc is only one of many files that need to be 'fixed'.
Look in the Campaign and CampaignGE folders and the UPCData and UPCDataGE folders.

Generalee
03-06-12, 07:24 PM
Each side has it's own set of files. The CareerStart.upc is only one of many files that need to be 'fixed'.
Look in the Campaign and CampaignGE folders and the UPCData and UPCDataGE folders.

So what you're telling me is that all I have to do is put all the American ships data into the game's American CareerStart.upc file (Not the CareerStart.upc for the mod but the one found Into c/(the dictory you installed the game in)/Silent Hunter 4/data/UPCData/UPCDataCampaign/CareerStart.UPC and for german ships, I put them in the UPCDataGE? :hmmm:

Generalee

peabody
03-06-12, 08:41 PM
So what you're telling me is that all I have to do is put all the American ships data into the game's American CareerStart.upc file (Not the CareerStart.upc for the mod but the one found Into c/(the dictory you installed the game in)/Silent Hunter 4/data/UPCData/UPCDataCampaign/CareerStart.UPC and for german ships, I put them in the UPCDataGE? :hmmm:

Generalee

No, what I said, " The CareerStart.upc is only one of many files that need to be 'fixed'."

Edit: In your post you stated the MOD has a "CareerStart.upc"? Then you need to add the new ships, then fix all the other files that get overwritten.
From you other post in another thread you said:

All those files would need to be fixed also.

Flotillas.upc has the ships and missions
UpgradePacks.upc has all weapons, ammo, equipment that is upgraded/changed throughout the career.
Weapons.upc has all the Weapons that are different.

You also may have to copy files from the Library, which are usually the items reffered to in the Weapons.upc.
And the Roster file would assign the ship to a country.

So not eveything that needs to be 'fixed' is in the list of stuff that is overwritten, some is just added, so you don't get a warning.

So there is a lot more to it than just adding a ship name and it's done.

Generalee
03-07-12, 09:26 AM
No, what I said, " The CareerStart.upc is only one of many files that need to be 'fixed'."

Edit: In your post you stated the MOD has a "CareerStart.upc"? Then you need to add the new ships, then fix all the other files that get overwritten.
From you other post in another thread you said:

All those files would need to be fixed also.

Flotillas.upc has the ships and missions
UpgradePacks.upc has all weapons, ammo, equipment that is upgraded/changed throughout the career.
Weapons.upc has all the Weapons that are different.

You also may have to copy files from the Library, which are usually the items reffered to in the Weapons.upc.
And the Roster file would assign the ship to a country.

So not eveything that needs to be 'fixed' is in the list of stuff that is overwritten, some is just added, so you don't get a warning.

So there is a lot more to it than just adding a ship name and it's done.

Ok, I will try it out on only two ships that Overwrite the same objects, and I will see if I can get it to work

Generalee

Generalee
03-07-12, 02:24 PM
I have another question, does the UpgradePacks.UPC have to be identical, or it can have differences between the two ships upgrade packs?

Example:

[UpgradePack 32] (file 1 )
ID= Upack16Inch50CalMk7
NameDisplayable= 16"/50 Mark 7
FunctionalType= UpFTypeWeaponCannon
UpgradePackSlotType= USDeckGun
Type=NULL
UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptionCurrent= NULL, NULL, 0
;UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions1= 1944-03-28, 1944-09-01, 800
;UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions2= 1944-09-02, NULL, 300
IDLinkUpgradePackElements= 16Inch50CalMk7

[UpgradePack 32]
ID= Upack16Inch50CalMk7
Type=NULL
UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions1= NULL, NULL, 400 (different)
IDLinkUpgradePackElements= 14in50calUS (different)

I would be happy if I could get these files working, it would be a great acheivement for me :D

ps: I am a beginner at modding, so that explains why I have more trouble understanding the logic of this. So please, go easy on me :D

Generalee

DrBeast
03-07-12, 02:43 PM
I have another question, does the UpgradePacks.UPC have to be identical, or it can have differences between the two ships upgrade packs?

Example:

ID= Upack16Inch50CalMk7
Type=NULL

[UpgradePack 32]
ID= Upack16Inch50CalMk7
Type=NULL

I would be happy if I could get these files working, it would be a great acheivement for me :D

ps: I am a beginner at modding, so that explains why I have more trouble understanding the logic of this. So please, go easy on me :D

Generalee

Something I noticed in your two examples and might potentially save some trouble:
If you notice a semicolon before an entry (;), it means the entry has been omitted out, i.e. the game will not read it. In your case, the first example has had the UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions1 and 2 omitted out.
The rest is uncharted territory for me.

Generalee
03-07-12, 03:06 PM
Something I noticed in your two examples and might potentially save some trouble:
If you notice a semicolon before an entry (;), it means the entry has been omitted out, i.e. the game will not read it. In your case, the first example has had the UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions1 and 2 omitted out.
The rest is uncharted territory for me.

Well thanks for the great info, It helped me understand more of this, now all I need is someone who can tell me what to do with the rest :har:

Thanks DrBeast, you are a great help :D

Generalee

peabody
03-07-12, 03:33 PM

Example:

ID= Upack16Inch50CalMk7
Type=NULL

[UpgradePack 32]
ID= Upack16Inch50CalMk7
Type=NULL

Generalee

Those are the kind of issues you run into when you enable two different ships. People add the necessary guns for that ship.
So in your files above, they are installing different guns using the same file. One ship has a 16Inch50CalMk7 and the other ship has a 14in50calUS.

So the problems include:
1. You can not have two with the same number [UpgradePack 32], if they were different you only have to copy and add another entry [UpgradePack 33] But they are the same ID.

2. You can not have two entries with the same ID. ID=Upack16Inch50CalMk7
This is the ID used in the sub or ship upc file to put that gun on the sub or ship.
Example from Takao:

IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= BowDeckGun
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= 1941-01-01, 1945-12-31, Upack8inDoubleDG

That will access the UpgradePacks.upc file:
[UpgradePack 47]
ID= Upack8inDoubleDG

So you would also have to change the ships.upc file and the ID in the UPgradePacks.upc, and that would mess up the ship as the modder built it. So if you post it anywhere, it would have different files than the original ship. So the modder would get all the complaints about why his ship does not work when he makes changes and releases a new version. So if you want to do it for yourself that is up to you but if anyone else gets it I am sure the person that built it would not be very happy about it.

3. UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions1= NULL, NULL, 400 means it will not be on the ship unless you buy it. The other file is 0.
NOTE:

Both of these entries have a ; in front of the line, so the game ignores anything after a ; so the only entry that matter is the first one with the NULL, NULL, 0. (which is startdate, end date and cost). so the gun is available all the time and costs nothing.
So here is the way the files work, I will use your entry above and make a 'dummy' ship.upc entry since I do not know where the file came from.

If it is entered as an Upgrade it will be in the Ships.upc

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 3]
ID= UpgBowDeckGun
NameDisplayable= Deck Gun Mount
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=USDeckGun
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1945-12-31, Upack16Inch50CalMk7

Now that links to the file you posted first in the UPgradePacks.upc

[UpgradePack 32]
ID= Upack16Inch50CalMk7
Type=NULL

And that one links to an entry in Weapons.upc which I will 'fake' from another ship:

[Weapon 12]
ID= 16Inch50CalMk7
NameDisplayable= 16" Double Turret
FunctionalType= WpCannon
WeaponInterval= NULL, NULL
WeaponSlotType= NULL
AmmoTypesAccepted= 16inAPUS
AmmoTypeLoaded= NULL
AmmoMagazineRemaining= 0 ;Not used
AmmoMagazineSize= 2
LeadersSlots=1
WeaponCrewMembersSlots= 2
ExternalLinkName3D= 16in_Deck_Gun_US
Hitpoints= 100
DamageDescription1= NULL, 0, 0.2, 0, 1, 1, Jam, 0, 0, NULL, 1, 0.3, 0.2
DamageDescription2= NULL, 0, 1, 0, 0.5, 1, Chamber Explosion, 50, 5, NULL, 1, 2, 10 ;skill over 1 for unserviceable/destroyed gun

And that file links to the Library/USSubParts/shipname.dat

+ 9. Node- 16in Deck_Gun_US

That is why I said many files need to be "fixed" if you are going to try to put several ships into one MOD that were not meant to be used that way. And it is also the reason some of the Modders make "ShipPacks", all that work is already done.
So it is good to learn how it is done, but it is easier to just use JSGME and play the King George. When you are done, quit the game, disable the MOD and enable the next ship you want to play.

One additional comment: You are only looking at the gunfiles, but you may run into the same problems with radar, sonar, flakguns, radio antennas, ammo, interiors, ordersbars, crew ranks, and the list goes on and on. It all depends on how the ship was built.

Peabody

DrBeast
03-07-12, 03:43 PM
If I could hazard a guess, UnitUpgradePackIntervalOption defines when you're eligible for a unit upgrade, with the type being defined in IDLinkUpgradePackElements. NULL means you're eligible for it regardless of date (if you notice the commented out strings, those are date-related, whereas in Example 2 there are no dates, just NULL). 800, 300 and 400 I've no idea what they mean. Maybe Renown cost to get it installed on your boat? In any case, the weapons being offered are different in your two examples, and this might be a problem if one type is not supported in the boat you're adding.
Another thing I noticed in your second example: ID= and NameDisplayable= both refer to the 16"/50 Mark 7 gun, but the IDLinkUpgradePackElements= offers the 14''/50 gun! That seems wrong, unless it's a trick by the creator of the mod to "force" the game to pick that specific weapon.

ETA: Ninja'd by peabody LOL!

peabody
03-07-12, 04:21 PM
If I could hazard a guess, UnitUpgradePackIntervalOption defines when you're eligible for a unit upgrade, with the type being defined in IDLinkUpgradePackElements. NULL means you're eligible for it regardless of date (if you notice the commented out strings, those are date-related, whereas in Example 2 there are no dates, just NULL). 800, 300 and 400 I've no idea what they mean. Maybe Renown cost to get it installed on your boat? In any case, the weapons being offered are different in your two examples, and this might be a problem if one type is not supported in the boat you're adding.
Another thing I noticed in your second example: ID= and NameDisplayable= both refer to the 16"/50 Mark 7 gun, but the IDLinkUpgradePackElements= offers the 14''/50 gun! That seems wrong, unless it's a trick by the creator of the mod to "force" the game to pick that specific weapon.

ETA: Ninja'd by peabody LOL!

Right you are DrBeast. I think what may have happened is that someone built a ship using the same files and a previous ship or someone else's ship, but he needed to put a 14" gun on it, but didn't change the other info.

You are right the
UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions1= NULL, NULL, 400
is the cost to put the gun on the ship. The reason there is a "Current" option as 0 is, I think, because if you play a single mission you can not 'buy' the gun. The other would be a cost to put it on the ship or possibly a ship that didn't have a gun at that location but did after a refit so you can buy it. So the gun is available all the time, but it may only be available on certain ships at certain times, thus the dates in the ships.upc upgrade section.
For example let's say you built two ships. One has an aft 14" turret but the other does not have an aft 14" turret until 1943. The 14" gun is available all the time so ship #1 would have it, but you can't add it to the second ship until 1943 because of dates in the ship.upc. Or maybe it had an 8" but was upgraded to a 14" in 1943.

Just some guesses as to why it is like that.

Peabody

Generalee
03-07-12, 04:36 PM
Those are the kind of issues you run into when you enable two different ships. People add the necessary guns for that ship.
So in your files above, they are installing different guns using the same file. One ship has a 16Inch50CalMk7 and the other ship has a 14in50calUS.

So the problems include:
1. You can not have two with the same number [UpgradePack 32], if they were different you only have to copy and add another entry [UpgradePack 33] But they are the same ID.

2. You can not have two entries with the same ID. ID=Upack16Inch50CalMk7
This is the ID used in the sub or ship upc file to put that gun on the sub or ship.
Example from Takao:

IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= 1941-01-01, 1945-12-31, Upack8inDoubleDG

That will access the UpgradePacks.upc file:
[UpgradePack 47]
ID= Upack8inDoubleDG

So you would also have to change the ships.upc file and the ID in the UPgradePacks.upc, and that would mess up the ship as the modder built it. So if you post it anywhere, it would have different files than the original ship. So the modder would get all the complaints about why his ship does not work when he makes changes and releases a new version. So if you want to do it for yourself that is up to you but if anyone else gets it I am sure the person that built it would not be very happy about it.

3. UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions1= NULL, NULL, 400 means it will not be on the ship unless you buy it. The other file is 0.
NOTE:

Both of these entries have a ; in front of the line, so the game ignores anything after a ; so the only entry that matter is the first one with the NULL, NULL, 0. (which is startdate, end date and cost). so the gun is available all the time and costs nothing.
So here is the way the files work, I will use your entry above and make a 'dummy' ship.upc entry since I do not know where the file came from.

If it is entered as an Upgrade it will be in the Ships.upc

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 3]
ID= UpgBowDeckGun
NameDisplayable= Deck Gun Mount
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=USDeckGun
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1945-12-31, Upack16Inch50CalMk7

Now that links to the file you posted first in the UPgradePacks.upc

[UpgradePack 32]
ID= Upack16Inch50CalMk7
Type=NULL

And that one links to an entry in Weapons.upc which I will 'fake' from another ship:

[Weapon 12]
ID= 16Inch50CalMk7
NameDisplayable= 16" Double Turret
FunctionalType= WpCannon
WeaponInterval= NULL, NULL
WeaponSlotType= NULL
AmmoTypesAccepted= 16inAPUS
AmmoTypeLoaded= NULL
AmmoMagazineRemaining= 0 ;Not used
AmmoMagazineSize= 2
LeadersSlots=1
WeaponCrewMembersSlots= 2
ExternalLinkName3D= 16in_Deck_Gun_US
Hitpoints= 100
DamageDescription1= NULL, 0, 0.2, 0, 1, 1, Jam, 0, 0, NULL, 1, 0.3, 0.2
DamageDescription2= NULL, 0, 1, 0, 0.5, 1, Chamber Explosion, 50, 5, NULL, 1, 2, 10 ;skill over 1 for unserviceable/destroyed gun

And that file links to the Library/USSubParts/shipname.dat

+ 9. Node- 16in Deck_Gun_US

That is why I said many files need to be "fixed" if you are going to try to put several ships into one MOD that were not meant to be used that way. And it is also the reason some of the Modders make "ShipPacks", all that work is already done.
So it is good to learn how it is done, but it is easier to just use JSGME and play the King George. When you are done, quit the game, disable the MOD and enable the next ship you want to play.

One additional comment: You are only looking at the gunfiles, but you may run into the same problems with radar, sonar, flakguns, radio antennas, ammo, interiors, ordersbars, crew ranks, and the list goes on and on. It all depends on how the ship was built.

Peabody

lol... this seems very complicated indeed... I think I will follow your advice and use them one at a time... but I sure hope building a ship mod is easier than doing this, because I want to build a sub, more specificly, a Japanese Kaidai 7 class submarine (aka I-76 class) it's info are as follows:

Class overview
Built: 1939-1943
In commission: 1942-1944
Planned: 10
Lost: 10

General characteristics
Displacement: 1,630 long tons (1,656 t) surfaced
2,602 long tons (2,644 t) submerged
Length: 105.50 m (346 ft 2 in)
Beam: 8.25 m (27 ft 1 in)
Draft: 4.60 m (15 ft 1 in)
Propulsion: 2 × Kampon Mk 1B Model 8 diesels, 2 shafts, 8,000 bhp
1,800 shp
Speed: 23.1 kn (42.8 km/h) surfaced
8.0 kn (14.8 km/h) submerged
Range:
8,000 nmi (15,000 km) at 16 kn (30 km/h) surfaced
50 nmi (93 km) at 5 kn (9.3 km/h) submerged
Test depth: 80 m (260 ft)
Complement: 86
Armament: ***8226; 6 × 533 mm (21 in) TTs
(6 × bow)
***8226; 12 × Type 95 torpedoes
***8226; 1 × 120 mm (4.7 in) L/40 11th Year Type Naval gun
***8226; 2 × Type 96 25mm AA guns
Notes: 354.7 tons fuel

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaidai_class_submarine#Characteristics

Give your opinions if you want it or not

Generalee

TBear
03-07-12, 04:51 PM
he he he you might want to look at this one ;)

Japanese submarine modpack (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=137761)

TBear

Generalee
03-07-12, 04:56 PM
he he he you might want to look at this one ;)

Japanese submarine modpack (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=137761)

TBear

I know, I have seen that, but it does not contain the one I want to make :D

Generalee

peabody
03-07-12, 05:53 PM
I know, I have seen that, but it does not contain the one I want to make :D

Generalee

That is also a very old mod. His newest MOD has 15 subs in it.

Peabody

Generalee
03-07-12, 06:29 PM
That is also a very old mod. His newest MOD has 15 subs in it.

Peabody

Is it the version 3.9x? I have downloaded it, and it has 14 subs. Just want to know if I downloaded the right one or not. I downloaded the version 3.9x :)

Generalee