PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think this possible/ waves

Armistead
12-15-11, 09:28 PM
I notice some of the env mods set different wind speeds for wave properties, the basic 4 I guess. Anyone ever try to create a 5th weather/wave pattern ? I assume the game is limited to 15kt winds which is silly, just wondered if within that you could break it changing wind speed create another one, either changing the wind parameters or adding another. I wish I could add one more wave cycle, but don't see how it can be done.

Anyone know exactly how these two files work in the sim.cfg

[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.2 ;[0,1]
Waves attenuation=0.75

Obvious they effect sensors I assume, but also has great effect how your sub rides the waves, higher numbers really make your boat struggle with the waves, too high your boat can flip over...but wondered if there is anyway to adjust these numbers where they only work with one wind pattern, not all of them.

I'm sure others have tried to create bigger waves in game, something I keep working on for high winds. I can get bigger waves, but still suffer blockiness at the cap I wish I could figure out how to taper. You can see by this SS what I'm talking about.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/SH4Img2011-12-01_180852_343.jpg

USS Drum
12-15-11, 09:46 PM
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/SH4Img2011-12-01_180852_343.jpg

Can you tell me how to do that, I've been thinking about making a typhoon in the game.

TorpX
12-15-11, 11:12 PM
My understanding is that the amplitude relates to wave height, the attenuation relates to effect (on sonar, maybe radar too?). What other parameters are defined in the game?

Sailor Steve has posted, someone modding SH 3 came up with a trick to achieve more severe weather, but don't know the details.

http://174.123.69.202/~subsimc/radioroom/showthread.php?p=1067669

Sailor Steve
12-15-11, 11:28 PM
I assume the game is limited to 15kt winds which is silly
Actually it's 15 m/s, which is 29 knots. Not quite as silly, but close.

As TorpX stated it was tried with SH3, looking back I think it was TimeTraveller, and I assume SH4 uses the same systems. His Big Waves mod was a workaround, and if you can make it work for SH4, great.

Hylander_1314
12-16-11, 06:51 AM
Isn't there an option in SHIII Commander for seasonal waves? Which if memory serves, can give you gale force winds, and waves to go with it.

Ducimus
12-16-11, 08:48 AM
I was wondering when someone would notice those variables in the sim.cfg file. What you have there is a big can of worms. I experimented with this awhile ago because Sh3 uses different settings for those variables, back when "sub on rails" was an issue for SH4.

If i remember correctly, Yes, this does fix the sub on rails issue completely, and easily, however:
- use the wrong numbers and the sub will have a hard time recharging batteries.
- drastically effects AI sensors obviously.
- causes issue with shipping. Go experiment with the sub school navigation mission. About 20 minutes (game clock), and ships may randomly explode. (I remember the Elco specifically doing this)
- will definately cause issues with the smaller ships like junks and fishing boats, life boats, etc.

Yeah you can make it work.. but it is a lot of work. If you change these settings, id recommend being VERY conservative with those values.

Armistead
12-16-11, 10:36 AM
I was wondering when someone would notice those variables in the sim.cfg file. What you have there is a big can of worms. I experimented with this awhile ago because Sh3 uses different settings for those variables, back when "sub on rails" was an issue for SH4.

If i remember correctly, Yes, this does fix the sub on rails issue completely, and easily, however:
- use the wrong numbers and the sub will have a hard time recharging batteries.
- drastically effects AI sensors obviously.
- causes issue with shipping. Go experiment with the sub school navigation mission. About 20 minutes (game clock), and ships may randomly explode. (I remember the Elco specifically doing this)
- will definately cause issues with the smaller ships like junks and fishing boats, life boats, etc.

Yeah you can make it work.. but it is a lot of work. If you change these settings, id recommend being VERY conservative with those values.

I agree, not the values you want to mess with much, turns your sub into a dolphin so surfaced you spend as much time dived. It would hold value if you could connect these settings to the highest wind pattern, not all of them.

Are there other settings that could help balance the sub out if you used these? I honestly can't tell the waves get much larger, just that your sub rides them like it's made out of balsa.

The other issue is be nice to connect high winds/waves to storms only, who wants 50ft waves with clear skies...

Sailor Steve
12-16-11, 11:17 AM
Isn't there an option in SHIII Commander for seasonal waves? Which if memory serves, can give you gale force winds, and waves to go with it.
Yes indeed. It in turn is based on TT's Big Waves mod, adding the 'Seasonal' variations. Nothing like that has been done for SH4, possibly because of the problems Ducimus mentioned.

TorpX
12-17-11, 12:26 AM
No doubt it would be a tricky business to do it.

But, it would be a BIG improvement in the game. :yep:

Hylander_1314
12-17-11, 07:29 AM
Yes indeed. It in turn is based on TT's Big Waves mod, adding the 'Seasonal' variations. Nothing like that has been done for SH4, possibly because of the problems Ducimus mentioned.

Yep, I remember something of the attempts that were made to try and get bigger waves in SH4, but forget the details. It was a long time ago.

USS Drum
12-17-11, 01:43 PM
Those two files affect the sensors in rough weather.