PDA

View Full Version : Help with mod selection

Job187
12-10-11, 02:42 PM
Hello fellow submariners!

I recently got the urge to play SH4 and I've just downloaded it in vanilla condition – no patches or mods yet – and I was wondering if I could get any tips of which mods to install and what patch-version that one is supposed to have. So I hope someone could direct me to a good megapack to install.

When I played SH3 I found myself loving the add ons that increased the quantity and quality of tools for manual targeting and navigation in general since I loved playing that game in realistic mode.

Would be great if the megapack had these kinds of features but if I had to dl and install them seperately it'd probably be worth it.

Appreciate any help I can get :DL

Hylander_1314
12-10-11, 06:35 PM
Depends on what you like. There is,

GFO, Game Fixes Only Mod,

TMO, Trigger Maru Overhauled,

RFB, Real Fleetboat,

FOTRS, Fall Of The Rising Sun.

If you have a huge hard drive with lots of room, get SH4 Multi Install, and load all of them up, and pick what you like the best.

Each megamod has an appeal for each person. So far personally, I go between TMO, and FOTRS. FOTRS has a lot of improvements like more American, and Japanese planes for variety from the stock version. So you might see Hellcats, TBFs, Corsairs, and others.

TMO was my first megamod, and it is the most flexible to me for balancing between entertainment, and challenge, for my limited time for playing the game, and sometimes long interludes between playing it.

But pick your own favorite. It's the best advice one can offer.

TorpX
12-11-11, 06:51 PM
Get the v1.5 (w/ U-boat missions) or better yet the 'Gold Edition' already patched to v1.5. All the best mods require it.

jason210
12-12-11, 12:46 AM
I have always used Real Fleet Boat, being one who apprieciates a more realistic sim.

mido
12-12-11, 08:36 AM
I am fairly new to SH4 myself. First, I would recommend to have multiple installations if your hard drive space allows it. The advantage is that you don't have to re-install SH4 each time you try a new mega mod.

Download Multi SH4 and follow the instructions there, you can have as many installations as you wish limited by your hard drive space of course.

I tried TMO first and then RFB. Well they are totally different and I like them both. You have to find out what you like better. Both Super Mods seem to be more interesting if you combine them with RSRDC which gives you a more challenging campaign.

Don't waste your time and play just "stock", what you need is version 1.5 which only comes with the U-boat Missions add-on.

Good Hunting