PDA

View Full Version : Return to Base Crash GWX

The Starfox
11-23-11, 11:16 PM
I've recently returned to an old favorite of mine after several years of sitting on the shelf. I installed GWX and it has been an awesome mod. I've reached mid 1943 and serving in the 2nd based at Lorient now during my 50th mission when I return to base the game crashes to desktop. I've tried loading older saves and doing something different. I've tried transferring to different bases, swapping back and forth through different upgrades to advance the clock as far as Sept. 1943 and nothing seems to work.
Is this a known issue? Are there any other things I can try? I really don't want to loose this career.

PapaKilo
11-24-11, 07:55 AM
Guys, when you seek for support due CTD problems, don't forget to include screenshot with the error window together with system specs, JSGME screenshot with mods used, etc etc.

if it was kernel.dll related, your system was out of RAM atm of crash.

The Starfox
11-24-11, 11:58 AM
The error is a crash to desktop and shows:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: sh3.exe
Application Version: 1.4.0.1
Application Timestamp: 00000000
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7ba58
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00033037
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: cda8
Additional Information 2: cda8483c32154a9f3a892cb29fc2293d
Additional Information 3: 7e37
Additional Information 4: 7e37e074d90e8533915c18ce725512e6

The mods loaded are:
GWX- 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Open Hatch Mod
GWX- Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas
GWX- Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX- Axis Mediterranean Aircraft Skins
GWX- Integrated Orders

System Specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 955
8.00 GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 280 SLI
Windows 7 64-bit

Gerald
11-24-11, 12:16 PM
I find it hard to believe that it is based on that you have too little memory, you use a laptop or desktop PC?

Jimbuna
11-24-11, 12:20 PM
Any third party mods installed?

The Starfox
11-24-11, 12:45 PM
Just the GWX mod. Everything worked great, just suddenly returning to base on the 50th mission crashes. I went back and redid the 49th mission, no good. I went back and changed base several times no good. I went back and tried to advance the clock by swapping uboat upgrades as far as september 43 no good either :cry:

Jimbuna
11-25-11, 08:52 AM
Just the GWX mod. Everything worked great, just suddenly returning to base on the 50th mission crashes. I went back and redid the 49th mission, no good. I went back and changed base several times no good. I went back and tried to advance the clock by swapping uboat upgrades as far as september 43 no good either :cry:

I've had that happen to me once iirc and couldn't sort it....the SH3 game engine can be quite unforgiving sometimes.

Victor Schutze
11-26-11, 11:52 PM
I've had that happen to me once iirc and couldn't sort it....the SH3 game engine can be quite unforgiving sometimes.

It happened to me as well: a fine career until mid-1943..lost

From this event, I actually back up the whole Sh3 folder (where the Sh3.exe is located) along with the Sh3 folder (in C:/Documents where the career is located).

I even back up the whole SH3 Commander folder.

I have one back up of all of these when I finish a patrol.

And even another back up after a save during a patrol.

All these on external drives. If a problem occurs I can copy the back ups on my HD. It works. It requires a lot of space (1 TB back up)

I hated it when I lost this career: I accept to be sunk by plane/DD but not by a glitch. :shucks:

Gerald
11-27-11, 12:25 AM
Good work to back up,:up:

Jimbuna
11-27-11, 03:59 AM
It happened to me as well: a fine career until mid-1943..lost

From this event, I actually back up the whole Sh3 folder (where the Sh3.exe is located) along with the Sh3 folder (in C:/Documents where the career is located).

I even back up the whole SH3 Commander folder.

I have one back up of all of these when I finish a patrol.

And even another back up after a save during a patrol.

All these on external drives. If a problem occurs I can copy the back ups on my HD. It works. It requires a lot of space (1 TB back up)

I hated it when I lost this career: I accept to be sunk by plane/DD but not by a glitch. :shucks:

As I said, I know the feeling...very frustrating indeed.

Good luck with future saves and gameplay :sunny:

The Starfox
01-13-12, 03:05 PM
I finally managed to solve the problem. Through alot of experimentation, I narrowed down the problem to a line of code in two files in the career save games. In my career in the files Patrols.cfg and Patrols_0.cfg at the very top there are the lines

[INIT]
Patrols=49
Size=50

No matter what I did the game would crash on returning to base on the 50th mission. I edditted the "Size=50" line to "Size=125", guessing that "Size=" limited how many missions could be saved in the file. The new code looked like

[INIT]
Patrols=49
Size=125

and poof...The game didnt crash on returning to base :D I even tried seeing if it would crash on the 51st mission, and all is well :D Soon enough Ill be cruising in my XXI and I'm so glad I didn't have to start over lol :D

Jimbuna
01-13-12, 04:08 PM
Hope this is the fix you need :sunny:

Madox58
01-13-12, 06:15 PM
Wonder where that 50 is comeing from?
:hmmm:

I checked the same files you listed after starting a new Career,
(Which like all 10 thousand others will never be completed),
and it's 75

:doh:

Gammel
01-14-12, 09:33 AM
Wonder where that 50 is comeing from?
:hmmm:

I checked the same files you listed after starting a new Career,
(Which like all 10 thousand others will never be completed),
and it's 75

:doh:for me it's - during very first patrol fresh career,
modded GWX SH3 setup

Size=25 Patrols.cfg
Size=75 Patrols0.cfg

...maybe helpful, if not just ignore :ping:

The Starfox
01-14-12, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I have no idea what caused it. Other files in the career files have 125 as the size, which is why I chose that number. I'm just glad I get to finish this one :)

Sailor Steve
01-14-12, 04:56 PM
On the other hand, 20 patrols was extreme in real life. The highest I've found so far was 16 for Kretschmer. Of course if he hadn't been captured he likely would have done more.

But 50? I think a captain would have had a nervous breakdown by that point.

Jimbuna
01-14-12, 05:42 PM
On the other hand, 20 patrols was extreme in real life. The highest I've found so far was 16 for Kretschmer. Of course if he hadn't been captured he likely would have done more.

But 50? I think a captain would have had a nervous breakdown by that point.

Equalled only by Wolfgang Luth

http://uboat.net/men/aces/top.htm

Captain Nemo
01-18-12, 08:52 AM
After completing Patrol 18 both my Patrols.cfg and Patrols0.cfg say:

[INIT]
Patrols=18
Size=25

Based on Starfox's experience, if I make it to patrol 25 I wonder what will happen?:hmmm:

Nemo