PDA

View Full Version : WB and Evan82's XXI 1939 mod unexpected consequences.

prowler3
11-23-11, 06:34 PM
After installing WB and Evan82's XXI 1939 mod I had some unexpected consequences.

Equipment upgrades are available in December 1940 that would not normally be...Radar, radar warning, all coatings, snorkel, all bolds and the Balkon Gerit hydrophone (interestingly, not the Nibelung hydrophone?). Of course the snorkel does not appear (in a test on my type VIIC) because the mod does not allow Turm upgrades before the regular date. Weapon's availability (deck gun, AA and torps) remains unchanged. These I can live with by just ignoring them until the correct date.

The other change is that after installing this mod, you cannot change torpedo loadouts in any sub. The default mix of T1's and T2's cannot be changed in my type VIIC. You can change the loadout in base...but it reverts to the default mix when you start the patrol.

Unless I've done something wrong, this mod should only be installed when you are actually going to use only the Type XXI at an earlier availability date.

Not a complaint by any means...just a head's up for those thinking of having some fun with the XXI in the early war years.

prowler3
11-23-11, 07:06 PM
Now I am going to complain :damn:. Since activating this mod, and unactivating it in JSGME, I still cannot change my torpedo loadout on my type VIIC. I have no idea why this mod would permanently damage my ability to change loadouts but it is the only thing I have done to GWX SH3 in several weeks. Everything was working perfectly last night before I activated this mod.

I use SH3 Commander and it is set to rollback changes on exit.
I activated the mod in JSGME while in base, after last patrol.
I de-activated the mod with JSGME while in base after lasy patrol.

And yet, I still have no ability to change my torpedo loadout now. :wah:

I am going to try reverting to my last patrol, at sea, before I ever returned to base...and hope for the best.

If someone could explain to me where I have messed this up, I would be grateful. If it's not something I did (other than trying this mod) then the read me for it should come with some warnings that your campaign will be forever changed?

prowler3
11-23-11, 09:00 PM
Nope...my career is completely screwed now. It does not matter how far back in my saves I go...I have lost the ability to set my torpedo loadout.

I'm going to try a Windows Recovery, as a last resort. Needless to say, I have lost my desire to try a type XXI at anytime beyond when it is available by default. If I can't recover this career I have lost many months of work...all due to one mod. That, in my opinion, sucks.

Again, if someone can point out where I messed up...I'm all ears. As of right now, however, this mod will be completely deleted and never used again. If I have to re-install SH3 to correct this...well, let's not even go there. :damn:

Gerald
11-23-11, 09:06 PM
Some changes may be made in the CFG files, but it sounds like a new installation.

prowler3
11-23-11, 09:35 PM
Well, a System Restore to before the "1939 XXI" mod was ever downloaded or installed has not helped the problem...I am unable to set my torpedo loadout...and have it "stick" in patrol.

I guess this means that my entire SH3 installation is now screwed. This is why I left SH3 3 previous times...stupid, ridiculous problems. This is also why I have abandoned most PC sims...same stupid problems.

I apoligize if I sound really pissed off right now...but that is exactly what I am :damn::damn::damn:. I revisited SH3/GWX thinking I could make it work...only to have a mod waste the entire thing? Unbelievable...that's a new one for me and my many attempts at it. Usually it's crashes or other stupidity. To have a mod completely destroy an entire SH3/GWX install is unbelievable...don't you think?

Anywho...I'm done, for the 4th time, again. No, my XBOX can't do a simulation like this. But my BOX never pulls any of the stupidity that SH3 and Flightsim do, so...until next time...be well and be careful of your mods. :salute:

Gerald
11-23-11, 09:44 PM
No doubt that you will be "low" when you have problem, but a re-install may solve the problem and install only safe mods,whatever you decide, I wish you good luck, I wish I could help you more, :yep:

prowler3
11-23-11, 09:58 PM
No doubt that you will be "low" when you have problem, but a re-install may solve the problem and install only safe mods,whatever you decide, I wish you good luck, I wish I could help you more, :yep:

Thanks for understanding, Vendor. I may try again...but not anytime soon. A thought though...would creating and starting a new campaign career work? I doubt it, as it seems the problem has written itself into the original install CFG's. S-I-G-H!

Has no one else reported the same type of problems with this mod?? I REALLY hate to give this up this way...I was really enjoying it...but I'm not a glutton for punishment.

Gerald
11-23-11, 10:07 PM
It can certainly be some who have had problems, but then can it be that the installation has gone wrong, this is pure speculation, but do a re-install when you have time.

HW3
11-23-11, 10:38 PM
That is a odd problem for sure. I have not had that problem, since I have not used that mod. It sounds like a config file problem but, just where, I'm not sure. I will download the mod and take a look at the files, to see if I can get a clue where to look.:hmmm:

HW3
11-23-11, 11:16 PM
After looking at the mod, the problem appears to be with your basic config file, as that file assigns the torpedo loadout by year for the various u-boats. Now why it lets you change them in base, and then reverts back to the standard loadout, I have no clue. There was a mod out some years back that let you change the standard loadout to what you want for any type of u-boat. That might solve your problem without having to reinstall. I'm not at home right now, so it will have to wait till I get there to find out the name of it.

prowler3
11-25-11, 12:55 AM
HW3, thanks for the offer but I think I'll just do a clean install of SH3 and GWX. I was thinking of trying H.SIE's hard coded stuff and from what I read those need to be installed to a fresh SH3? I still have to read up more (does H.SIE's stuff work with GWX Gold?).

As far as getting a type XXI earlier, I may alter it's availability date. That will make it available earlier but only to it's default flotilla (11, I believe). I tried this mod so it would be available to all flotilla's but the mod carries too much "excess baggage", as I've found out the hard way :O:.

Again...thanks all you guys and gals!

complutum
11-25-11, 12:57 AM
You can use hsie´s exe patch with GWX, i got them working fine.

HW3
11-25-11, 01:05 AM
Same here, they work together fine! The best part is the watch officer is no longer lazy, and goes to his post like he is supposed to.:03:

P.S. prowler3...The torpedos loadout mod is called torpedos, and is from www.24flotilla.com. It is in Spanish but, can be figured out easily if you do not know Spanish.

prowler3
11-25-11, 01:32 AM
Thanks again, you guys!

frau kaleun
11-25-11, 01:43 AM
GWX will only install over a previously unmodded game installation, but h.sie's patches just require a previously unpatched copy of v1.4 of the Sh3.exe file. Since GWX does nothing to alter that particular file, you can apply h.sie's patch to it even after installing GWX and/or any other mod that doesn't mess with the game .exe itself. But always make a backup of the unpatched file in case something goes wrong! (I think h.sie's stuff makes a backup copy for you anyway).

Personally I keep my original installation of the game untouched, and make (renamed) copies of the game folder over which I then install GWX or any other mods I'm using, with the MultiSH3 tool in place to allow for multiple playable installations of the game. When I apply h.sie's patches I just go back and make a copy of the original, untouched Sh3.exe from the first installation and use that. I stick it into my GWX installation after applying the patch and it works fine. :up:

prowler3
11-27-11, 08:28 PM
The problem I had had nothing to do with the 1939 XXI mod. It was related to a patrol ending in one year and starting the next one in another, apparently:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=143816&page=8

Jeez I hate it when something so coincidental happens like this :damn:

My apologies to the modders...I just went ahead and ran the January 1941 patrol with the unchangeable loadout, and my next patrols have worked fine (I can change loadouts and it "sticks").

Sheesh!