PDA

View Full Version : Why must I always play VII?

postalbyke
11-14-11, 11:30 AM
I did a few searches, but haven't found it...

Is there a way I can play a type II for the Naval Academy? I tried opening the mission file for it and replacing the type VII with a II, but when I loaded it, I was in a VII...

Any good ideas?

PapaKilo
11-16-11, 08:21 AM
1. You simply must play VII.

2. You don't have another option :)

urfisch
11-16-11, 08:38 AM
no, you just can start your career in a type II, if you begin in 1939.

PapaKilo
11-16-11, 09:21 AM
no, you just can start your career in a type II, if you begin in 1939.

He had in mind type II in Naval Academy :lol:

Jimbuna
11-16-11, 11:26 AM
As far as I'm aware you don't have any alternative in the training academy.

postalbyke
11-18-11, 09:20 AM
dangit.

Thanks, guys! :D

Madox58
11-18-11, 10:10 PM
As far as I'm aware you don't have any alternative in the training academy.
It puts the Type VII on!!!
:haha:

reaper7
11-19-11, 08:42 AM
Seems to be harcoded, even deleting the uboat from the mission and adding a new TypeIIA has no effect. Player still ends up with a VII. Any AI TypeII's added to the mission do end up in the mission ok - so its just the players sub thats hardcoded to always be a TypeVII :nope:.

PapaKilo
11-19-11, 09:24 AM
on the other hand, what is the point of complain ? :hmmm:

postalbyke
11-20-11, 12:32 AM
lol No point to complaining, but I was hoping to get a quick-loading mission for testing changes to my type II CT... the closest I have is a dive test mission for WAW, but that takes roughly twice the time to load as the torpedo tutorial mission...

thanks, everyone! :salute:

frau kaleun
11-20-11, 12:39 AM
Have you tried using blank campaign files? With no random or scripted traffic, everything loads much faster. That's what I've been using to test skins, and I just start a test career in my boat of choice. I can load a patrol, take a good look at the boat, and be out again in what seems like no time at all. And that's with a couple dozen other mods loaded. :yeah:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1082

postalbyke
11-28-11, 12:32 AM
Blank as in, create empty campaign random and scripted files and load them up using jsgme? I'll try that now

Edit: yeayuh! I just went from a six-minute loading time to a two-minute loadup!!
Great call, Frau!:salute:

Edit edit: I just now followed the link *embarassed* oh, well, learned something new!

reaper7
11-28-11, 01:27 PM
Have you tried using blank campaign files? With no random or scripted traffic, everything loads much faster. That's what I've been using to test skins, and I just start a test career in my boat of choice. I can load a patrol, take a good look at the boat, and be out again in what seems like no time at all. And that's with a couple dozen other mods loaded. :yeah:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1082

Thanks for the link frau kaleun, that will most definitely come in handy. :up:

frau kaleun
11-28-11, 01:32 PM
You're welcome, guys.

For some reason I balked at using it for the longest time, I guess I felt like it was one more mod that I'd have to keep enabling and disabling during testing. But boy... what a difference it makes. Especially if you just need to make a small change to something that will only take a couple seconds to check out once the game is loaded before you exit again to keep tinkering. Worth its weight in gold IMO. :yep: