PDA

View Full Version : Standimeter

Patchman123
10-27-11, 05:31 PM
One thing they got wrong and keep getting wrong is that standimeter does not measure the distance to a target, but the angle on the bow. I am wondering why the standimeter does not give you an angle on the bow measurement in the game.

That is one thing that Ubisoft got wrong is that stadimeters measure angle to the target, instead of the range.

http://jtmcdaniel.com/periscope.html

Late war American submarines also incorporated a tiny radar antenna in the search periscope, which would also give an exact range, at the risk of throwing up more spray than the thinner attack periscope.

I wonder why we don't have that feature in the game or in any mods. That would cool to have something like that that measures range from a radar antenna on the periscope, instead of having to go to radar depth.

I am having a problem with targeting. The ship seems to go very fast and I do not have 10 to 15 minutes to target the ship. The ship is a destroyer coming straight at me. What do I do there?

I can't wait 15 minutes for a speed or range estimate. The guy is coming RIGHT at me!

It seems to be that standimeter is the wrong spelling for the word stadimeter. It's correctly called a stadimeter, not a standimeter. That seems to be an error with Ubisoft Romania and the extremely poor English of the developers and the politically-correct whitewashing of the game with politically-correct spellings like Jawa for Java. Jawa. Why Jawa? Is it Star Wars all of a sudden? Am I in Jawa land? Will they return in greater numbers? Will they sell my submarine for a piece of scrap? Jawa is a Star Wars joke. Am I playing Star Wars for submarines? And over-reliance on Wikipedia as a reference source.

The game makers rely too much on Wikipedia, rather looking at genuine naval websites on the net.

Wikipedia is bull****.

Why can't you set

Man,
I wish Nisgeis TDC would let you set the torpedo run on the TDC system.
The game unrealistically sets the torpedo speed to high and low only, instead of letting you manually set it.

I want to flash correct solution, but I only get poor locked. It does that only, instead of giving me a correct solution, it keeps telling me I have a poor one, in manual TDC mode. In non-manual mode, it would always give good solution with the "A" flashing correct.

Why won't it do this in manual mode? No clue.

Sailor Steve
10-28-11, 12:57 AM
You'd better read the article you linked to a little more carefully. The stadimeter measures a vertical angle, which has nothing to do with angle on the bow. The split-prism devise is indeed used for obtaining the range to the target. This is done by measuring the angle between the actual image and the "ghost" image.

If the masthead height is entered accurately, the range will be correct. Getting the masthead height wrong gives an incorrect range.

This graphic shows what the captain sees through the periscope's stadimeter. A split prism is used to place a ghost image of the target so that its waterline is sitting right at the top of the masthead of the "true" image. The stadimeter actually registers the angle above the horizontal to the masthead, not distance. Some basic math is then performed which translates that angle into a distance figure.

There is a good description there of how the angle is turned into a distance reading by the stadimeter.

The Ubi devs got it right, and you are incorrect. Second, what makes you think they got anything from Wikipedia. Third, you need to read the rules concerning swearing on these forums, even "fake" swearing.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item_language

Fourth, it's true: The Silent Hunter games are famous for their misspellings. A notable example is the one still used by CCIP in his avatar: "Torpedo Momber".

Arlo
10-28-11, 10:21 AM
Which, of course, is why knowing the mast height on the Sears and Roebuck buy a target catalogue is so very impotent .... errrr ... important.

I'm gettin' a bit better at full real TDC, as of late. Seems the 'A' button will never say anything other than 'poor' and I was expecting it to give me a 'look at you, you entered the parameters right - good!' response. ;)