PDA

View Full Version : When startin' your career question

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 10:10 AM
When you start your career ...

What year and what flotilla do you like to start with and why :ping:

frau kaleun
10-19-11, 10:15 AM
1939, August, cuz that gives me one pre-war patrol to get my equipment and crew sorted.

2 Flotilla, cuz I can have a Type VII in Aug 1939 and operate out of Wilhelmshaven.

Sometimes though I will start in the flotilla that is in Königsberg (7th?) and gets transferred to Wili when the war starts. But I haven't done that in a while.

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 10:39 AM
Thanks for your reply ...

I have always started a career at the same place but this time I'm thinkin' about one of the other ports

I notice that in GWX if ya start in Kiel you're suppose to stay within the harbor and sink the 2 ship convoy ... is this correct or do ya go on your normal patrol ?

mookiemookie
10-19-11, 10:52 AM
Starting in late '40 is nice because you get right out into Atlantic, yet it's still early enough in the war that you feel like a tough guy.

Jimbuna
10-19-11, 10:59 AM
Thanks for your reply ...

I have always started a career at the same place but this time I'm thinkin' about one of the other ports

I notice that in GWX if ya start in Kiel you're suppose to stay within the harbor and sink the 2 ship convoy ... is this correct or do ya go on your normal patrol ?

You get to sink a small convoy in GWX if you start in the 7th/13th Flotilla out of Konigsberg in August 39.

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 11:01 AM
You get to sink a small convoy in GWX if you start in the 7th/13th Flotilla out of Konigsberg in August 39.

But you don't get to sink the 2 ship convoy in Kiel Harbor ?

I was thinkin' about startin' a career from Kiel ... is there a quicker way down the canal ?

Herr-Berbunch
10-19-11, 11:02 AM
1939, August, cuz that gives me one pre-war patrol to get my equipment and crew sorted.

2 Flotilla, cuz I can have a Type VII in Aug 1939 and operate out of Wilhelmshaven.

^that :yep:

I think they're one of the first to go to France too, but I could be wrong (it's been a few months since I last played :oops:)

Jimbuna
10-19-11, 11:11 AM
But you don't get to sink the 2 ship convoy in Kiel Harbor ?

I was thinkin' about startin' a career from Kiel ... is there a quicker way down the canal ?

Nope....not aware of the ships you refer to but if it is prior to the commencement of hostilities then EVERYTHING in the SH world is considered a neutral and that would be a bit of an own goal.

Better off starting in Konigsberg, set your time in port between patrols to 14 days.

After four days at sea you'll receive a radio message recalling you to base.

Return to base and apply for a transfer to 1st or 2nd Flotilla.

Your next patrol should commence 19th which will allow you to safely transit to your assigned patrol grid prior to the commencement of hostilities...as was the case in RL.

rowi58
10-19-11, 11:31 AM
Starting allmost in August, 1939. "Erprobungsstelle" in Stralsund - a little trainig patrol, sinking two target ships, observed by Polish Navy, Sovjet Navy and German Navy.

Greetings
rowi58s

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 11:38 AM
Nope....not aware of the ships you refer to but if it is prior to the commencement of hostilities then EVERYTHING in the SH world is considered a neutral and that would be a bit of an own goal.

Better off starting in Konigsberg, set your time in port between patrols to 14 days.

After four days at sea you'll receive a radio message recalling you to base.

Return to base and apply for a transfer to 1st or 2nd Flotilla.

Your next patrol should commence 19th which will allow you to safely transit to your assigned patrol grid prior to the commencement of hostilities...as was the case in RL.

O.K. ...

Question , I started a career in Konigsberg and when the career starts I'm in Golf Von Guinea ... does that sound correct ?

Jimbuna
10-19-11, 11:42 AM
O.K. ...

Question , I started a career in Konigsberg and when the career starts I'm in Golf Von Guinea ... does that sound correct ?

No, you should be in Konigsberg harbour....are you using SH3 Commander and if so do you have the GWX SH3 Commander CFG enabled?

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 11:49 AM
I am using SH3 Commander

I have no idea what the other thing is you mention ( GWX SH3 Commander CFG ) ?

SquareSteelBar
10-19-11, 11:56 AM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1421

Jimbuna
10-19-11, 11:57 AM
I am using SH3 Commander

I have no idea what the other thing is you mention ( GWX SH3 Commander CFG ) ?

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20864524/GWX3_SH3Commander_CFGFiles_exe

When prompted, point it to your SH3 Commander installation.

Now start a new career.

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 12:12 PM
Ahhh ...

O.K. I do have that already installed and I'm still havin' troubles :(

What else could be the cause ?

Jimbuna
10-19-11, 12:19 PM
In Commander ensure you have the use historic availability dates box ticked and in JSGME ensure you DO NOT have the alternative flotillas mod enabled.

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 01:17 PM
Jim I do appreciate your help in this matter ...

I have historic avalibility checked and the alternative flotillas not enabled and still I start that particular career in the Golf Von Guinea :damn:

Jimbuna
10-19-11, 02:33 PM
Jim I do appreciate your help in this matter ...

I have historic avalibility checked and the alternative flotillas not enabled and still I start that particular career in the Golf Von Guinea :damn:

Then I'm stumped.

If you've no third party mods enabled that I am unaware of all I can suggest is performing a new installation.

A PITA I know but that is sometimes the price we all have to pay :-?

Herr-Berbunch
10-19-11, 02:49 PM
Is that not the error with a corrupted save, can't remember your position so it sticks you at 000,000 just off Guinea? :hmmm:

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 03:33 PM
How do I clear out a corrupted save ?

Jimbuna
10-19-11, 03:39 PM
Load the game and go to the saved games section then start using the delete button...hope that works for you but either way it's gotta be worth a try.

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 03:49 PM
I'll give that a try ...

Jimbuna
10-19-11, 03:54 PM
GOOD LUCK http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

frau kaleun
10-19-11, 03:55 PM
For corrupted saves, if that's what you've got, I think the only thing you can do is go back and load the previous save and (if it works) play from there. If the previous save doesn't work, you go back to the one before that, and so on, until you find one that loads properly.

Altho generally I thought corrupted saves resulted in CTDs and not a working game that just drops you into the wrong location. I could be wrong though. There *is* however an issue that crops up occasionally, where for some reason the game doesn't know where you're supposed to be on the map and drops you at 0 deg lat, 0 deg long as a kind of default starting position.

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 04:02 PM
I do appreciate EVERYONES HELP !

I deleted all the saves and still I get dropped at the same location :shifty:

Short of doin' a complete re-install ( which I've done now 50 times in the last month ) is there anything else I can try ?

Thanks again folks :salute:

Jimbuna
10-19-11, 05:51 PM
Sorry...out of ideas but if you do decide you start again with a new installation, don't forget to perform a registry clean.

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 05:57 PM
Will do ...

Thanks again :up:

Jimbuna
10-19-11, 06:03 PM
No problem http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

Halface
10-19-11, 06:26 PM
Had that same issue was messing with mods in GWX...and made me start at the mentioned place throu the commander SH thingy....

to bad i dont remeber the mod makeing it happend...

currently i started to play LSH and i play SH5

wish SH5 had the same campagin way as SH3 and the Enigma map...

bit off topic there.....

and since i didt read throu have you your mod list posted it might pop in my head what might be why etc

and to add my fav start u boat is the II but i had to restart LSH cuz i got a mission out in AM aera and the II dont go so to far...but GWX you can if i remeber .....no a little break damn sea sick from playing SH3/SH5

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 06:31 PM
SO ...

There might be a particular MOD makin' this happen ?

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 07:21 PM
O.K. ...

I've done a complete re-install of everything and still the problem persists :-?

Heres what I have loaded ...

Hopefully one will ring a bell with someone as to the cause :hmmm:

GWX- 16km
GWX-Captain America's Officer Icons
GWX-Main Movie-Das Boot
GWX-Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX-Contact Color
Q Ship mod GWX3.0
Thomsen Sound Pack V3.2cg
Ambient Hydrophone Sound
Ambient Underwater Sound
Combat Radio Frequency
Elite U-Boat Binoculars
Elite U-Boat Uniform-Green
Compulsory U-Boat Headdress
FM_NewInterior_v1.0
Flakmonkey's Interior with crew
Internal U-Boat Sound Effect
Flecktarn Protective Helmet Cover
Fubar Sub Skins Type II A-D
Lifeboats&Debris_v4
Torpedo damage Final
Thomsen's Water V4
VIIC Atlantic Workhorse Skin IV
Your U-boat Commander Uniform

If one of these draws question to my problem and obviously with others who have had it please chime in and identify

Hellraiser
10-19-11, 07:34 PM
I always start in 1942, between May & August in either 1st or 7th Flotilla.

I find that before 1942, it's too easy pickings.

When I was starting in '39 or '40. I was racking up 300,000 or more tons by mid 1942....that sorta killed the immersion/realism for me.

A Mid '42 start allows me a little of the 'Happy Times' before the seriousness of '43 and beyond.

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 08:12 PM
O.K. ...

After lengthy testin' the culprit ended up bein' Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg with my set up

I have no idea why but with it not enabled everything run fine and I was able to be in Konigsberg Harbour :rock:

Hope this helps someone down the road :up:

von Kinderei
10-19-11, 10:28 PM
After searchin' I can't find another good sound mod

Who has one I could use please

Sailor Steve
10-19-11, 11:34 PM
If you want your game to sound like Das Boot.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=978

And a little something extra to go with it.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1528

Jimbuna
10-20-11, 03:23 AM
O.K. ...

After lengthy testin' the culprit ended up bein' Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg with my set up

I have no idea why but with it not enabled everything run fine and I was able to be in Konigsberg Harbour :rock:

Hope this helps someone down the road :up:

I'd never have thought that sound pack, nor do I use it though.

Least your sorted :up:

von Kinderei
10-20-11, 09:06 AM
Danke SS ...

And yeah Jim I was surprised that a sound mod would create such a disturbance in the force :ping: I mean why would a sound mod make your boat appear in the middle of no where and just when I tried to spawn in Konigsberg Harbour only :doh:

SquareSteelBar
10-20-11, 09:20 AM
Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg includes not only sound files... :hmmm:

Herr-Berbunch
10-20-11, 09:36 AM
As Steve has noted, the corrupted save game problem exists in the stock game and is not a byproduct of GWX or Commander.

The starting point of zero degrees long/lat is also a known issue but for the life of me I can't remember if a specific cause has been pinned down... IIRC it has something to do with trying to start from a base or flotilla (or some combo of the two) that is historically inaccurate for the in-game date, leading to the game not knowing where to place you on the map. I could be wrong though.

^That was taken from a thread in 2010, I've had the same error but don't have Thomsen's Sound Pack. Curiouser and curiouser... :hmmm:

frau kaleun
10-20-11, 09:48 AM
^That was taken from a thread in 2010, I've had the same error but don't have Thomsen's Sound Pack. Curiouser and curiouser... :hmmm:

That's always been my understanding of why you end up at 0/0 long & lat, that the game doesn't know where to put you and defaults back to that. Why it doesn't know where to put you is a whole other question and if there's one specific answer to it, I don't know what it is. You would think that it had something to do with files that control the available flotillas and their locations and the dates they are supposed to be in those locations (and maybe your career files and what they say about where you're supposed to be). Is there anything like that in that sound pack? I haven't ever used it either. :hmmm:

Fubar2Niner
10-20-11, 10:22 AM
Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg includes not only sound files... :hmmm:

I never realised that SSB and I been running his sound packs for long as I can remember :oops:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Sailor Steve
10-20-11, 10:37 AM
If you like Thomsen's Sound Pack it's easy enough to manually install just the Sound folder. Just make sure you do it between patrols.

Or if you want to use JSGME, just dump everything out of the Thomsen's folder except Sound. It should load normally.

Halface
10-20-11, 10:38 AM
O.K. ...

I've done a complete re-install of everything and still the problem persists :-?

Heres what I have loaded ...

Hopefully one will ring a bell with someone as to the cause :hmmm:

GWX- 16km
GWX-Captain America's Officer Icons
GWX-Main Movie-Das Boot
GWX-Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX-Contact Color
Q Ship mod GWX3.0
Thomsen Sound Pack V3.2cg
Ambient Hydrophone Sound
Ambient Underwater Sound
Combat Radio Frequency
Elite U-Boat Binoculars
Elite U-Boat Uniform-Green
Compulsory U-Boat Headdress
FM_NewInterior_v1.0
Flakmonkey's Interior with crew
Internal U-Boat Sound Effect
Flecktarn Protective Helmet Cover
Fubar Sub Skins Type II A-D
Lifeboats&Debris_v4
Torpedo damage Final
Thomsen's Water V4
VIIC Atlantic Workhorse Skin IV
Your U-boat Commander Uniform

If one of these draws question to my problem and obviously with others who have had it please chime in and identify

One way is to remove all the non GWX mods and try the game.....see where and what that makes you start at the 000,000 sorry no bell has ringed yet

Herr-Berbunch
10-20-11, 10:58 AM
sorry no bell has ringed yet

You must use the no-ring-ring mod :O:

Thomsen's SP uses commands_en.cfg which overwrites the GUI, or so I've read hereabouts. Can conflict with Hitman's Optics, but that's not an issue here. Also isn't 3.2 just a patch, don't you need 3.0 + 3.1 + 3.2? I could be wrong but I've spent a while trawling this site for answers... :hmmm:

Fubar2Niner
10-20-11, 11:24 AM
Also isn't 3.2 just a patch, don't you need 3.0 + 3.1 + 3.2? I could be wrong but I've spent a while trawling this site for answers... :hmmm:

3.2 is indeed a patch only mate, however 3.2cg weighs in at a hefty 346mb. My guess is it's combined Thomsen's sound mod and patches.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

von Kinderei
10-20-11, 12:12 PM
One way is to remove all the non GWX mods and try the game.....see where and what that makes you start at the 000,000 sorry no bell has ringed yet

I did do that thats how I know that Thomsen's Sound Mod was the problem ... I also tried to use the other versions and all together and still the same problem BUT ... only with the wanting to start a career in Konigsberg ... everything else and including the other Harbour career starts work fine

Halface
10-20-11, 12:20 PM
do you use the SH comander thingy...hmmm......happend to me but was a mod that made the issue...but i cant remember which one ....

still waiting for my bell to say aha

von Kinderei
10-20-11, 02:00 PM
do you use the SH comander thingy...hmmm......happend to me but was a mod that made the issue...but i cant remember which one ....

still waiting for my bell to say aha

Not sure about another mod creating the problem ...

I can load the Thomsen Sound Mod without anything else loaded and the problem still happens ... no career start at Konigsberg :-?

Jimbuna
10-20-11, 05:10 PM

That was a common response during the close post GWX release period if I'm tbh but so much water has passed under the bridge since then and so many gwx 'compatable' mods have been created I often think it's a tough call to make.

von Kinderei
10-20-11, 06:56 PM
Alright ...

I have it narrowed down to the en_menu file thats the culprit to the problem

I can take that file out and everything runs like it should ... I can spawn in Konigsberg :up: but I have no idea yet why that particular file is causin' the problem

Any ideas ?

Jimbuna
10-22-11, 04:31 PM
If you remind me tomorrow (at work right now) I could send you said file from a fresh GWX3.0 installation to try.

von Kinderei
10-22-11, 04:48 PM
Danke Herr Jimbuna ...

Whats the importance of that file ... I've been through it a thousand times it seems and I can't see what may be causin' the problem I was havin'

Anyway's ... it's all good now and everything seems to work as it should I have started a career in Konigsberg and have been assigned command of U-46 :up:

I'll remind you tomorrow :salute:

Jimbuna
10-22-11, 05:30 PM
Rgr that :salute:

m231074
10-24-11, 02:15 AM
Starting allmost in August, 1939. "Erprobungsstelle" in Stralsund - a little trainig patrol, sinking two target ships, observed by Polish Navy, Sovjet Navy and German Navy.

Greetings
rowi58s

same here...