PDA

View Full Version : God Knows How I did it!

robbythesub
08-22-11, 04:27 PM
Major problem, having had some PC problems today I find that my main SH5 folder, jsgme and downloads have all somehow exited via the recycle bin just leaving me with save games etc.

Short of buying file recovery software that probably wont get it all back again, can anyone offer any help / advice?

I am currently away from my SH5 disc etc on holiday trying to sneak a quick game in!

:damn:

KING111
08-23-11, 10:07 AM
if you use windows restore and go back and restore
your computer to the last time it was all working say 2 or 3 days ago
hopefully it will put it all back the way it was
i hope it helps :salute:

robbythesub
08-23-11, 03:06 PM
Thanks- I was not sure whether that would work but it did, so back to usual again! I wont do that again! :yeah:

FIREWALL
08-23-11, 03:23 PM
Click the Recycle Bin Icon. Highlight what you want to restore and a window drops down with 4 options.

One is Restore click it and it will restore it right back where it was.

I have Win7 64bit OS. But should work the same for Vista,and XP 32 OR 64bit

as well as Win7 32bit

I did this twice just recently.

robbythesub
08-23-11, 03:38 PM
Hi

Yes but the bin was emptied and that was the trouble!

I have now restored it via the above, but I have a problem, I am getting the following message-

'The program cant start because particles.act is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem'

I cant do that until i get home, so can anyone help with this please? :damn:

Webster
08-23-11, 03:55 PM
you are out of luck

the windows restore function will only "remove" things that were recently added but it cant put back things that were deleted so it cant really "restore" as it is named but it is really just a very powerfull uninstaller feature

you are going to need to delete the remaining folders with the leftovers from any mods you had installed or it will corrupt the new game install. your saved games will need the game set up exactly as it was with the mods and all or they will CTD so most likely consider them fubar as well unless you are very lucky to remember everything about how it was set up

robbythesub
08-23-11, 04:03 PM
Thats a pain! What is particles.exe?

Cant I just download and install it in the game folder?

I have a copy of my mod installation order etc so can set that up exactly the same.

vlad29
08-23-11, 04:05 PM
Click the Recycle Bin Icon. Highlight what you want to restore and a window drops down with 4 options.

One is Restore click it and it will restore it right back where it was.

I have Win7 64bit OS. But should work the same for Vista,and XP 32 OR 64bit

as well as Win7 32bit

I did this twice just recently.

Hi Firewall! Just a small remark:)
I think here the problem was the files were deleted from recycle bin also (other way it is too easy to restore it from recycle bin and every user of Microsoft OS products knows about it I guess:03:).
In the described situation Robbythesub used 'System restore point creation' - win. option, that runs automatically when any changes to your program files and register are applied (installing new application, etc.). Also this option can be scheduled by user manually. So using this option he restored the previous system state and thus reached the goal. Robbythesub was lucky this option played the trick (because sometimes it doesn't) and he didn't run any cleaning utilities such as CCleaner or ERASER after missing the files.
As for me I often use both to delete all traces of applications that were previously uninstall, the last one (ERASER) is overwriting/formatting the whole free disk space (where the fragments of the deleted files are still remaining), so there's no any tools exist yet to recover or restore them. :salute:

EDIT: O-ouh! I'd better change my nickname to 'Hand-brake29' (Anchor29 as variant)! the whole discussion passed through while I've being writing this post)))

reaper7
08-23-11, 04:10 PM
Here ya go mate:

http://www.fileserve.com/file/wFT83DB/Particles.7z

Install into your SH5 folder :up:

robbythesub
08-23-11, 04:25 PM
Thanks R7 ! that sorted that and now it says anim.act is missing!! :damn:

mobucks
08-25-11, 09:20 AM
like the guys below mentioned, your install is FUBAR, gona need to wait till you get to your disk and reinstall everything from scratch.

robbythesub
08-25-11, 11:22 AM
ok and thanks to all for your help! Terrible thought having to wait another 10 days to play SH5 again! Will switch to SH4 for that time :arrgh!:

I fiddled with it and got the launcher to start, then the bit where you are shown your awards etc, press play and it tries to start, then goes back to the after game report!

So near yet so far....