PDA

View Full Version : Locked Hydrophone??

ddiplock
06-28-11, 05:20 PM
Has anybody ever experienced a patrol where when you go into the Sonar station and try to turn the hydrophone.....you cant???

I'm on a patrol just now and I effectivley cannot use my sonar, relying instead on my sailor for reports. Even with Radar, I still like to use my hydrophones to make a classification on the target before I see it.

Anyone else experienced this and is there a fix? Rstarting the game and re-loading don't seem to solve it. Its luck of the draw, happens on some patrols, others not.

Any suggestions?

torpedobait
06-29-11, 07:35 AM
I hope I'm not misunderstanding your problem, but the solution may be as simple as this: Put your cursor inside the edge of the sonar screen and use it to drag the sonar beam around. If you left-click on the screen up to 179 degrees in either direction from where the beam is indicating, it will sweep to that new point. Works the same on the radar screen (the second screen). The radar can be set to sweep too. Hope this is helpful - sometimes the little things like that can be frustrating!:salute:

EricW
06-29-11, 08:22 AM
I've had that happen a few times, AND I've noticed that its not just the hydrophones. ALL my interior gauges and dials get locked up (clickable or not, pointing straight up). The sonar still spins with the keyboard but you can't see where it's aiming so it isn't much good. I don't know of any fix so I'm not much help, except to say that you're not alone!! lol. I generally just scrap the campaign......I didn't know about the diving & surfacing under TC prob though.....that might be it, I do that plenty, oops.

Daniel Prates
06-29-11, 09:17 AM
I hope I'm not misunderstanding your problem, but the solution may be as simple as this: Put your cursor inside the edge of the sonar screen and use it to drag the sonar beam around. If you left-click on the screen up to 179 degrees in either direction from where the beam is indicating, it will sweep to that new point. Works the same on the radar screen (the second screen). The radar can be set to sweep too. Hope this is helpful - sometimes the little things like that can be frustrating!:salute:

Every once in a while someone appears with this problem, isn't it?

Aviv
06-29-11, 09:49 AM
I'm not sure, but I had that problem too. (Locked hydrohphone and all dials point to 12 oclock position). I heard that it's because you load when you're damaged on a patrol.

Ducimus
06-29-11, 09:55 AM
If using TMO, some particulars would be nice.
Such as:

What boat were you using?
What year was it?
When did you notice all needles were frozen?
About where did this occur?
Was your boat damaged at all?
Did you encounter any AI submarines at all?

I think i know what it might be, i'm just trying to be sure. The problem is, this bug isn't consistent.

EricW
06-29-11, 11:32 AM
As far as I can recall.....

Such as:

-TMO 2 or 2.1, can't remember which

What boat were you using?- Tautog
What year was it? -mid to late '42 (?)
When did you notice all needles were frozen?-immediately after loading
About where did this occur? - SE Asia north of Timor(?)
Was your boat damaged at all? -can't remember
Did you encounter any AI submarines at all? -YES, sunk a jap sub SE of Davao gulf.

Hope this helps- Eric

Armistead
06-29-11, 11:40 AM
Sometimes alt tabing alot makes that happen to me, but home and end still spin the wheel even though the cursor doesn't.

A few mods also make the cursor not work, but home and end will spin it.

Ducimus
06-29-11, 01:28 PM
As far as I can recall.....

Such as:

-TMO 2 or 2.1, can't remember which

What boat were you using?- Tautog
What year was it? -mid to late '42 (?)
When did you notice all needles were frozen?-immediately after loading
About where did this occur? - SE Asia north of Timor(?)
Was your boat damaged at all? -can't remember
Did you encounter any AI submarines at all? -YES, sunk a jap sub SE of Davao gulf.

Hope this helps- Eric

It helped. :up:

ddiplock
06-29-11, 01:29 PM
Such as:

What boat were you using? - Balao class
What year was it? - Mid 1943
When did you notice all needles were frozen? - Very start of the patrol still in port.
About where did this occur?- See above
Was your boat damaged at all? - No damage
Did you encounter any AI submarines at all? - No Subs encountered

I think i know what it might be, i'm just trying to be sure. The problem is, this bug isn't consistent.

See aboive for my answers. Being honest, this is not the first time it has happend. It also happend in my Porpoise USS Permit at the beginning of my career.

Seems to be a hit and miss, some patrols it will happen, others not.

Either way, if its happens, I effectivley cannot use my sonar, instead trying to rely on reports from the guy manning it and even then its tricky enough. I like to listen to a contact if I can after detecting it on radar to decide if I should intercept. If its a merchant, yes.....if its destroyer props, not really worth it. If its a task force, hell yes haha :D

sharkbit
06-29-11, 09:31 PM
Have you tried the up and down arrows on your keyboard?

I haven't payed too much attention to the type of sub and such, but that seems to work.

:)

Ducimus
06-30-11, 09:11 AM
I replicated the problem, tried a solution, and the problem went away. :O:

Daniel Prates
06-30-11, 09:19 AM
Almost every time someone complains about this input problem, the keybord arrows seem to solve the problem.

Capt. Morgan
06-30-11, 02:51 PM
Had this problem myself while playing the Med. campaign for WDAD.

The cause (in that instance) was discussed in this post
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1684972&postcount=135

Until it's resolved here, You can still use the sonar by placing the cursor into the repeater and spinning the mouse wheel. The bearing indicator won't move, but the bearings on the notepad will change and the green lamp will light-up when you find a contact - which you'll also hear if strong enough.