PDA

View Full Version : [TEC] Sh.sdl (game's master sound mixer) Editor/Viewer

TheDarkWraith
06-28-11, 02:13 AM
v1.2.0

This is a little app I've been working on to make editing/viewing/comparing of the SH3/4/5 SDL file easier and more importantly in human readable form. You can open and compare SDL files (compare splits the window in two and opens the other SDL file in the second pane) and also add new records to an SDL file. As I continue working on it you'll be able to do much more with the SDL file.

When you open an SDL file the app checks the file to verify it's integrity/correctness. If it finds any errors it will tell you what and where the problem is so you can correct it (you can now edit all entries). You have the option of verifying that the .wav file exists for each WaveName entry in the SDL file. A search function is available that allows you to search for items.

You can also jump to each error, caution, duplicate, and folder by using the menu.

The options file is updated when the app is closed.

Fixed some logic errors found.

Added the ability to view each individual field of SDL file.

There is an options file that the user can edit (SDL_Editor.cfg)

This can be used with SH3/4/5 SDL files

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=446&pictureid=4601

v1.2.0: https://www.mediafire.com/?xdyb36gwe1vhxwa
v1.2.0 Subsim downloads: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3298

:|\\

Zedi
06-28-11, 03:00 AM
Q: If a sdl have included Stormy sound files but the player is not using that mod, what happens? Will the sdl file keep looking for those sound files and eventually crash the game if it fails to localize them?

Obelix
06-28-11, 03:10 AM
Very nice!:salute:
It would be nice if the difference is highlighted, as in other comparators.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=354&pictureid=4463

urfisch
06-28-11, 06:20 AM
interesting stuff! thanks!

Reece
06-28-11, 07:28 AM
I assume that S3D doesn't work with SH5's version?:hmmm:

Obelix
06-28-11, 07:56 AM
S3D is working with a version of SH5.
But the chances of the current version TDW_SDL_Editor already a little wider, and in the future will be even more opportunities.

TheDarkWraith
06-28-11, 09:00 AM

I don't use S3D so I couldn't tell you :DL

TheDarkWraith
06-28-11, 09:01 AM
Very nice!:salute:
It would be nice if the difference is highlighted, as in other comparators.

I'm not done with the app yet :up:

TheDarkWraith
06-28-11, 09:04 AM
Q: If a sdl have included Stormy sound files but the player is not using that mod, what happens? Will the sdl file keep looking for those sound files and eventually crash the game if it fails to localize them?

It shouldn't. The sdl file is the game's master sound mixer and it just tells the game how to use the sound files and what sounds are associated with what names. If the defined names are never used then there shouldn't be a problem. If a defined name is used and a sound file isn't found then there could be a problem.

Obelix
06-28-11, 09:06 AM
I'm not done with the app yet :up:
I noticed this during testing:yep:. We are waiting for final release!:up:

Zedi
06-28-11, 11:40 AM
It shouldn't. The sdl file is the game's master sound mixer and it just tells the game how to use the sound files and what sounds are associated with what names. If the defined names are never used then there shouldn't be a problem. If a defined name is used and a sound file isn't found then there could be a problem.

Ok, thanks. This is an important note for everyone working on compatibility issues.

Vorkapitan
06-28-11, 11:27 PM
TDW,

What took you so long :har::har::har:.

I've been waiting SOOooo long for this.

Thank you TDWizard! :up::up::up:

TheDarkWraith
06-29-11, 09:57 AM
Added compare function. This compare function works like WinMerge in that differences are highled in red on both sides. You can then merge from 1-->2 or 2-->1 to automatically add the missing entries. You can also merge single entries.

The delete function now works. You can select an entry and remove it from the file.

Currently coding in the add functions.

Save and Save as functions now save the file.

Still have to code in the edit functions to allow you to edit individual fields of an entry.

Added in the ability to have the app check to see if the sound files are present for each entry that defines a sound file (WaveFile has an entry in it)

App now checks for duplicate entries in the file. If some are found they are highlighted in cyan. You cannot save the file until all errors are removed (including duplicate entries). Duplicate entries are defined as 'Name' being equal on two or more entries.

Have plans to further this to also check .dsd files.

urfisch
06-29-11, 02:44 PM
if there is one file for controlling the sounds...is there also one file, that controls the ai in sh5 or also in sh3? as you might saw, in sh3 they are trying to add a new version of wolfpacks. but there are problems in understanding the ai, as the ai-uboat does not work properly.

:hmmm:

tonschk
06-29-11, 04:53 PM
Thank you :up: TheDarkWraith :rock:

Obelix
06-29-11, 06:06 PM
TheDarkWraith - good news!:rock: Thank you!

Velero
06-30-11, 04:07 AM
First of all I like to thank DarkWraith for all the extensive work he's done over the last year to improve the game, amazing. Ubisoft please take note and get involved.

In regards to the sound editor, will this app enable me to merge the "torpedo impact" sound from Stormy's DBSM to MO/UI DW mods? I believe this is not a wav file I can simply cut and paste. I would like to pick and chose as I do not wish to to install all the components of Stormy's mod as good as they are, due to key bindings issues (i.e AWDS) and concerns about performance/Ctds.

Thanks

TheDarkWraith
06-30-11, 08:46 AM
First of all I like to thank DarkWraith for all the extensive work he's done over the last year to improve the game, amazing. Ubisoft please take note and get involved.

In regards to the sound editor, will this app enable me to merge the "torpedo impact" sound from Stormy's DBSM to MO/UI DW mods? I believe this is not a wav file I can simply cut and paste. I would like to pick and chose as I do not wish to to install all the components of Stormy's mod as good as they are, due to key bindings issues (i.e AWDS) and concerns about performance/Ctds.

Thanks

Yes you'll be able to load another sdl file and pick which 'sounds' you want to add to another sdl file. It will be more involved than that because there is also a .dsd file that also needs to be 'picked from'.

TheDarkWraith
06-30-11, 04:48 PM
v1.0.1 released. Still working on it but added new features :|\\

Obelix
06-30-11, 04:59 PM
v1.0.1 released. Still working on it but added new features :|\\
After "Download now" is "File not found" :damn:

Trevally.
06-30-11, 05:01 PM
Worked for me.

Thanks TDW:up:

Obelix
06-30-11, 05:09 PM
Can be uploaded this in download's section of this forum, as mirror?

TheDarkWraith
06-30-11, 05:19 PM
Can be uploaded this in download's section of this forum, as mirror?

I can do that. As always let me know of any bugs/errors. Hopefully next version will have all the features complete (adding new entries, editing fields of an entry, etc.)

Just out of curiosity does the text show in other languages? If not, I'll make a menu file like SH has so the text can be changed to the user's language.

TheDarkWraith
07-01-11, 01:52 PM
v1.0.2 released. See post #1 for details.

Still have to add the ability to add a new record into the sdl file.

tonschk
07-01-11, 07:53 PM
:DL Thank you :up: TheDarkWraith :salute:

Vorkapitan
07-03-11, 01:35 AM
TDW,

This is probably due to user error;

When I try to "find" something, nothing is ever returned, also when I click "verify", nothing happens.

Also, I choose "duplicates", but can not find both entries.

Am I not doing this right?

Joe

TheDarkWraith
07-03-11, 09:58 AM
TDW,

This is probably due to user error;

When I try to "find" something, nothing is ever returned, also when I click "verify", nothing happens.

Also, I choose "duplicates", but can not find both entries.

Am I not doing this right?

Joe

If nothing is ever returned that means it didn't find anything. I guess I could have it tell you that nothing was found. I'll make a note of that.

Verify is just a menu item. It's the sub items off of verify that do the work.

Duplicates are highlighted in cyan color. If you have no duplicates then nothing will ever be found. If you hover the mouse over the root entry (the topmost entry - the one with the diskette icon) it will tell you how many errors, cautions, duplicates, etc. are in the file.

Magic1111
07-06-11, 02:19 PM
v1.0.2 released. See post #1 for details.

Still have to add the ability to add a new record into the sdl file.

Many thanks, very interesting Tool !!! :yeah:

DerMo
07-21-11, 08:21 PM
DarkWraith Please help me!!

I got the problem that i can not hear the diesel sound in the engine room of my submarine. Exterior sound is ok.
and when i dive then "amb_OceanSkyline_Q.wav" is playing all the time even under water..
I only use Capthelmīs Audio mod but that might not be the cause as there is no Sh.sdl file.

so i compared stock sh.sdl with the sh.sdl from your Sub-flag 0.08 mod as a reference and they are quite different (i still use stock Sh5 Sh.sdl in game)

Example:
Stock Sh5 sh.sdl: motor_Diesel_LOOP.wav is ENTRY 121
SubFlag Sh.sdl:motor_Diesel_LOOP.wav is Entry 122

same with motor_Electric_LOOP.wav
Stock Entry 121
SubFlag Entry 120

Also there are many other entries with a red marking and attention signs from entry 46- 523.:wah:

Iīm clueless, what can i do to make the diesel sound in the engine room work and get rid of the wind sound under water?

Stormfly
07-21-11, 09:20 PM
"amb_OceanSkyline_Q.wav" is playing all the time even under water..

hi,

...also good to know is that the above problem also occour sometimes if switching to desktop and back.

TheDarkWraith
07-21-11, 10:23 PM
DarkWraith Please help me!!

I got the problem that i can not hear the diesel sound in the engine room of my submarine. Exterior sound is ok.
and when i dive then "amb_OceanSkyline_Q.wav" is playing all the time even under water..
I only use Capthelmīs Audio mod but that might not be the cause as there is no Sh.sdl file.

so i compared stock sh.sdl with the sh.sdl from your Sub-flag 0.08 mod as a reference and they are quite different (i still use stock Sh5 Sh.sdl in game)

Example:
Stock Sh5 sh.sdl: motor_Diesel_LOOP.wav is ENTRY 121
SubFlag Sh.sdl:motor_Diesel_LOOP.wav is Entry 122

same with motor_Electric_LOOP.wav
Stock Entry 121
SubFlag Entry 120

Also there are many other entries with a red marking and attention signs from entry 46- 523.:wah:

Iīm clueless, what can i do to make the diesel sound in the engine room work and get rid of the wind sound under water?

make a backup of your sdl file and then merge the subflag sdl to yours

TheDarkWraith
07-22-11, 03:23 PM
v1.1.0 released. See post #1 for details.

All I have left to do is code in the ability to add new SDL records to the SDL file.

Magic1111
07-22-11, 03:45 PM
v1.1.0 released. See post #1 for details.

All I have left to do is code in the ability to add new SDL records to the SDL file.

Thanks TDW !!! :up:

TheDarkWraith
07-22-11, 04:38 PM
Thanks TDW !!! :up:

forgot about the notes I had from your comments. I'll be releasing v1.1.1 that incorporates your comments/concerns from earlier :up:

EDIT:

v1.1.1 released. See post #1 for details

TheDarkWraith
07-24-11, 11:41 AM
v1.2.0 released. See post #1 for details.

You can now add new SDL records to an SDL file.

:|\\

BruceLee
07-19-12, 07:40 PM
I'm having some issues adding custom sounds. Specifically, I have my own sound files for the depth charge explosions that you hear whilst inside the sub. They average 6 or so seconds, which is longer than the original effects.

When I go in game, my effects only play for around two or three seconds before they are cut off. It's like the specific amount of time that each sound file can play is defined somewhere, and it's using the length of the original sound files. Looked in the SDL and DSD files and I don't see anything blindingly obvious in relation to how long sounds are played. Any ideas?

Fish In The Water
11-11-12, 07:08 AM
Sounds like a great tool. Gonna take this one for a test drive. Thanks TDW! :salute:

Dogfish40
11-11-12, 01:16 PM
I'm currently working on some sound /speech problems in SH4...
I was wondering if this works with SH4 files. They have a lot of the same issues and files that don't play at all for various reasons.
D40

Viktor_Prien
03-25-14, 08:36 AM
v1.2.0: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20591...tor_v1_2_0_zip

this link doesn't work should it be possible to have a new working one?Thanks!:salute:

TheDarkWraith
03-25-14, 08:46 AM
this link doesn't work should it be possible to have a new working one?Thanks!:salute:

Link at post #1 updated :up:

Viktor_Prien
03-25-14, 09:25 AM
Gentle and fast thank you very much TDW!

mafansiwo
04-14-14, 07:19 AM
thank you very much。I want to try this。